Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikepacking: Routes, queries, gear, etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'm still planning an end-of-April 400-500km somewhere across the north of Europe to a destination which has a ferry to Rosslare.

I'm going to stay in hotels or B&Bs so plan to take minimal gear - whatever I need for on the bike and then one change for evening wear.

You need very little when credit card touring.

Attached is photo of road bike with bag attached to seat post; I think I was in Spain and France for 8 or 9 days with that.

Weighed about 8Kgs when full so did unbalance the bike when not on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Attached is photo of road bike with bag attached to seat post; I think I was in Spain and France for 8 or 9 days with that.

Thanks - I've started to put a gear list together of what I will bring (which is partly weather dependent) so will likely go for just the larger saddle bag and a top tube bag for phone & food.

Anyone recommend another brand without breaking the bank?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDWSB/podsacs-waterproof-saddle-pack

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

Thanks - I've started to put a gear list together of what I will bring (which is partly weather dependent) so will likely go for just the larger saddle bag and a top tube bag for phone & food.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDWSB/podsacs-waterproof-saddle-pack

Depends on your definition of breaking the bank, but Topeak are a decent brand have some decent looking kit at a price point somewhere between Planet X and Apidura.

Eg 60 quid for their 10L saddlebag off CRC
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-backloader-saddle-bag/rp-prod171582?gs=1&sku=sku647923&istCompanyId=0f15660a-f13e-4c09-a701-b55d8c3f2e59&istFeedId=21ccdaa5-24f7-4b32-9ec6-ac7081b9b50b&istItemId=iwxrtalwm&istBid=t&pgrid=55940684101&ptaid=pla-355752013602&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sA8X08MB7_dc|pcrid|294740729957|pkw||pmt||prd|647923IE&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwP3yBRCkARIsAABGiPqAws4DbyqE8gDBMOeitjrlMkpmpnEPK8unsA7GxjYPHsxR0X_294QaAp_7EALw_wcB

The PRO stuff is well priced too. I have their toptube bag which isn't exactly the most complex piece of engineering but I like it. There's not a whole lot of reviews of their gear.

This review of the Planet X one on their website is a bit concerning:
    "I received one as a present and was very surprised how good it was...[it] swang about a little bit and has worn a hole in the protected part at the bottom"

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

More stuff from podsacs at genuine discount today on PlanetX.
    They seem to imply that Lidl (maybe only in Uk?) are doing bikepacking stuff now too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

More stuff from podsacs at genuine discount today on PlanetX.
    They seem to imply that Lidl (maybe only in Uk?) are doing bikepacking stuff now too.

Lidl are indeed doing stuff this weekend in the UK.

The podsacs stuff is okay. They used to sell woho stuff which is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭cletus

They've a frame bag, a handlebar bag and a saddle bag for a tenner each. I think you can order stuff for delivery in UK, wonder would parcel motel work

504612.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A good site for planning routes well off main roads ie. on minor roads.
    It goes for flatter routes as well if you're carrying a load of gear.

https://cycle.travel/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Alpkit do a set of waterproof dry bags with loops along the side for nylon webbing...which goes nicely into your saddle rails. A normal undersaddle tool bag (saddle bag) holds this back from the legs. An extra strap, if you want, can cinch it all in tight to the seatpost.

Cheap, 100% waterproof, light, and the mid-size one holds enough clothes and wash stuff and so on for a month, if you pack carefully (sandals, slacks, merino tops, jox n sox, washbag, kindle, chargers, a few spare parts...). Or a weekend, if you don't. The only downside is the roll-top end makes it awkward to get stuff out, while on the bike. So have a little toptube or handlebar bag as well, if you want. If you're not camping, it's really all you need.

El Vino wrote: »
    Consider taking the train for a bit of it - to skip the boring bit for example. I do London to Waterford once a year but take train to get out of London.
    For bikepacking I use the Planet X stuff, I did Fort William to Inverness last year along the Great Glen Way with my daughter. Great introduction to bikepacking. Hoping to do more this year, I have been looking at new tents as the Vango one I use is around 1.5kg. Alpkit have some good light ones, an American brand Big Agnes have one that would fit nicely on a drop handle bar bike but is a bit $$$$https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Tents/Bikepacking
    Do you have a route to get from London by any chance? How are the roads through the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Is there a brand of bib shorts that’s generally recommended of all-day riding (say 12-14 hrs). I don’t mind spending a bit extra but not silly money for fashionable brands etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I've a 10L saddle bag only and its enough for a change of clothes and basic tool kit, sandwiches etc. I wear normal runners on the gravel bike so not walking around in cycling shoes

Some kind of bar bag for phones etc would probably be convenient but the 10L would be enough in good weather imo

That Biarritz?

Not to try and cause trouble but there is a useful difference between credit card touring and bike touring proper in that you're travelling relatively light when not cooking for yourself or camping, makes a huge difference (but limits you and is less aesthetic)

I
    That irishtrails.ie site is a brilliant resource for getting ideas for a particular area. When mapping an audax route I thought I was a great lad finding all these lovely quite roads until I realised someone in the 70's or 80's had it all done before and even the odd signpost survived!

I've started trying a few of the irishtrails routes on the bike. I was going to post on the Irish Gravel Compendium thread also and it would be great if we could build some intel on what is doable and on what bike, so others please post

So far I've tried

Slieve Bloom way - superb area totally overlooked in the Pale at least, did the whole thing but unfortunately too much hike a bike to really be viable. HOWEVER, there is definitely a good route to be put in between fire roads, quiet roads and bothareens here, all the more so when they finish the single track they're putting in around Kinnity and elsewhere. In fact it would be great if they put in a specific Gravel route around the mountain range. I have a reasonable recollection of which parts were doable on a bike if anyone else is thinking of heading down PM me and I can give some pointers for you to work on.

Cavan Way

Again, great scenic area but not really bike doable, but again, quiet roads around also. The Cavan Burren Geo Park is outstanding, hidden gem, basically an open air museum which you could in fact cycle around with kids or whatever if it wasn't too busy

Both of these areas have cycle routes signposted through them already so they are not bad alternatives for someone looking for a quiet spin

Apart from that I've done the Barrow Way and most of the Grand Canal which are well covered by other threads here. Hard to understate how great it is to be able to go from Dublin City Centre 150k plus off road with no traffic, so even if people think boring canal, I'd still recommend it. Barrow is very nice from Carlow on and Canal actually very nice for the most part once you get past Fallujah

I have this and am happy with it, though have nothing to compare it with:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0732WCYTS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Planet X doing sterling to euro parity, plus many touring and bikepacking bags also have 20% off as per of spring sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Planet X doing sterling to euro parity, plus many touring and bikepacking bags also have 20% off as per of spring sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

I appreciate that this thread was essentially a bikepacking one which to me suggests all-terrain travel rather than just road (touring) but for the latter, and invaluable site which I'm sure a lot know about is

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

...but be warned, there are rabbitholes on that site that you could go down and never come back from ! If you like the idea of touring BIG distances and BIG adventures, living vicariously through others, this is the site for you !

But equally, if you want to do a short multi-day tour of your local area and plan to rough it (wildcamp etc.) then this is also a great resource of information

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

jrar wrote: »
    I appreciate that this thread was essentially a bikepacking one which to me suggests all-terrain travel rather than just road (touring) but for the latter, and invaluable site which I'm sure a lot know about is

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

...but be warned, there are rabbitholes on that site that you could go down and never come back from ! If you like the idea of touring BIG distances and BIG adventures, living vicariously through others, this is the site for you !

But equally, if you want to do a short multi-day tour of your local area and plan to rough it (wildcamp etc.) then this is also a great resource of information

I haven't seen website visuals that basic in a long time, looks to be crammed with info though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://bikepacking.com/plog/ardennes-arbalete-video/

One for the bucket list when things normalise.

The Borders of Belgium is the only long audax thing I haven't fully discounted but this looks more civilised and more time for nice beer

That looks fantastic !!!! It's like a bikepacking version of Liege Bastogne Liege

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That is deadly I'd love to give it a go.

Also a cool website I'll spend the night browsing through that and planning for a one day trip :D

Yikes I just took a look at the stats 365km / 5890M of ascent :eek:

https://bikepacking.com/routes/ardennes-arbalete/

• Advertisement

Imagine that in the wet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

Hi,

Someone tried the Woho saddle bag stabilizer ? What do you think about it ?

I have one on my Croix de Fer.

It works quite well for the original WoHo touring saddle back but that bag is a bit finicky. I imagine it would be good with other bags too. Can put extra bottle cages on too.

Bit of a pain moving it onto other bikes if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

Thank you.
    I will try it with my AGU saddlebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Question:
    I want to go away at the end of the summer, most likely through Spain. How do people transport their bikes via plane? Obviously there are bike cases/bags etc but I want to travel from A to B then fly home with the bike. I can't really carry a bike case or bag with me :pac:

Cardboard box probably your best choice. Throw it away on arrival then find a bike shop close to where you fly home to get one. I haven't tried this but I'd be worried about finding one. Some airports have them although I'd imagine only the very large ones. I've heard of a big plastic bag being used too although not always allowed

Decathlon do a bike bag that folds down to a backpack size. Still a bit bulky to be carrying on a tour probably. I have 2 of them, though I just keep wheels in them, so not sure I need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,874 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Weepsie wrote: »
    Decathlon do a bike bag that folds down to a backpack size. Still a bit bulky to be carrying on a tour probably. I have 2 of them, though I just keep wheels in them, so not sure I need them.

Could be posted to a hotel at destination B rather than carrying it all the way from A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Question:
    I want to go away at the end of the summer, most likely through Spain. How do people transport their bikes via plane? Obviously there are bike cases/bags etc but I want to travel from A to B then fly home with the bike. I can't really carry a bike case or bag with me :pac:

A lot of Spanish airports will provide a box for about 20 euro. Usually through Iberia. Alicante and Barcelona definitely, Malaga didn't last time we were there.
    but by far the best we have had is finishing in Santiago. There is a bike shop there which will pack your bike and arrange a big taxi (up to 3 bike boxes) to take you to the airport. Pure luxury.
    What we try to do is to is checkout the airport when we arrive in our finishing town before we fly. Also if you try and finish when bike shops are open that is a backup plan to get a bike box. Most Spanish bike shops close Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.
    And twice we have picked up bike boxes in Decathlon. There is usually one near the airports.
    With a strap and a couple of tie wraps you can fold the bike box and carry it short distances on your bike .
    going out simply get a cardboard box from your local shop and leave it neatly in your destination airport. We have found if you simply ask some of the airport staff they will show you where to leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Advertisement