Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parasite (dir. Bong Joon-Ho)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Finally saw this tonight having avoided spoilers and trailers for weeks.

What a wonderfully crafted and masterful film.I loved it.

I think I need to see it again as a lot of scenes had a lot of imagery, metaphor and commentary and satire to take in.

It's gripping, funny and thrilling. Beautifully shot, edited and acted.

I thought it was completely open to interpretation as to its meaning or intentions and feel I need to see it a couple of times again and I'll probably getting something different from each viewing.

Loved it and so disappointed to see that RTE review that was posted earlier.

Also, heard colleagues say they wouldn't go see it because it's subtitled which is such a sad attitude and they are missing out on so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Didn't want to risk making a scene. He was already an inconsiderate twat. Shame as I feel like there's one truly excellent film a year at my local Cineworld and this was it.

I saw parasite at vue in liffey valley last night. Great movie, tought provoking on many levels. An impromptu date night as our son was at a sleepover. I'd had a hard week and watching subtitles was going to involve some extra concentration.

This tool behind me comes in late (not before the movie but just at the end of the trailers) then proceeds to eat a really loud rustling bag of sweets. I let it go for the trailers and for the beginning of the movie, thinking he'd be copped on enough to quiten it down. Not at all. Bit of huffing and puffing from my fellow cinema goers until I turned around and asked him to quiten down as he was disrupting the movie. He was genuinely shocked and oblivious to the disruption he caused to others. So glad I did - I've had nights at the cinema and other events ruined by inconsiderate tools and regretted having done nothing about it afterwards.

About gobdaws with food in cinemas. It's very annoying.

I was in Pathe cinema in Eindhoven, Netherlands a couple of years ago and when you bought crisps they were opened at the till and emptied into a cardboard container. Thought it was a great idea.

I really don't understand peoples obsession of buying rubbish "food" when you go to watch a film. Spoke to colleagues about it and they find me weird when I say I go to a cinema to watch a film and not to eat.

Don't get me started on people with their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

murpho999 wrote: »
    About gobdaws with food in cinemas. It's very annoying.

I was in Pathe cinema in Eindhoven, Netherlands a couple of years ago and when you bought crisps they were opened at the till and emptied into a cardboard container. Thought it was a great idea.

I really don't understand peoples obsession of buying rubbish "food" when you go to watch a film. Spoke to colleagues about it and they find me weird when I say I go to a cinema to watch a film and not to eat.

Don't get me started on people with their phones.

saw someone eating a mcdonalds in the cinema recently.. omg the smell - and to make matters worse, the place was full so twas v stuffy.. gee some folk are sooo clueless.

have asked several folk over the years politely to put their mobiles away.. i am not problem doing this - discretely and politely though

I don't really feel the need to eat at the cinema either. Maybe one small popcorn between two and it's gone by the time the movie starts. I distract own self if I eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

The cinema experience is different for different people and I think it's all film dependent, some your sold to have a good time, lose yiurseld in mindless entertainment and enjoy yourself eating delicious salty "food" . This was not one of those movies.

Thought it was very good, maybe overhyped slightly and some coming out nearly claiming an out of body experience is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

recyclops wrote: »
    The cinema experience is different for different people and I think it's all film dependent, some your sold to have a good time, lose yiurseld in mindless entertainment and enjoy yourself eating delicious salty "food" . This was not one of those movies.

Thought it was very good, maybe overhyped slightly and some coming out nearly claiming an out of body experience is bizarre.

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It is an intelligently conceived movie and the acting is uniformly excellent, as is the cinematography. I'll stop short of calling it a masterpiece because the ending didn't come as no great surprise.

Despite the worthy questions broached by the Director the conclusion was a very black and white take on those very same questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Seen this.

Nothing special but glad a film of this ilk won the Oscar than the usual Hollywood tripe.

Cinemas are a horrible experience in the mainstream ones.

I do like the IFI and the lighthouse during the day
    You know its only odd ball weirdos or film oficienados who'd have the awareness of others in watching a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Absolutely loved it. Went in not knowing a single thing about it. It was just mind blowing and non stop. Il be thinking about this film for a while after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Well it was good, certainly different to most films I've seen but I can't shake the feeling it wasn't as great as I expected it to be. Some plot holes in it too. The ending was a bit of a let down to be honest. I think they should've ended it way before they did. Not sure I can go to details, new here so I don't know the policy on spoilers.

Well it was good, certainly different to most films I've seen but I can't shake the feeling it wasn't as great as I expected it to be. Some plot holes in it too. The ending was a bit of a let down to be honest. I think they should've ended it way before they did. Not sure I can go to details, new here so I don't know the policy on spoilers.

Yes you can but use spolier tags as explained in the charter that's sticked. Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

There's a black and white version now. Good excuse to see it again.

There's a black and white version now. Good excuse to see it again.

They could release it again flipped upside down and I'd still watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

To all the people who felt slightly underwhelmed by this;

There was so much hype surrounding this and in many cases it was never going to live up to it. But I saw it for a second time earlier this week and there is a lot to take in.

Little things like how Ki-Jung uses different accents. The use of vertical lines and how certain characters 'cross the line' at various points.

It is pretty much perfect. It does everything it sets out to achieve marvellously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If you feel like the hype did it dirty, wait a few and give it a couple more watches. I always find that's a great way to break through your initial reaction to your hyped expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Finally got around to watching this. I was obviously aware of the acclaim but made an effort to know virtually nothing about it going it, so I had no idea what to expect or what was unfolding.

Really good, solid film, that works on so many different levels. Magnificent turn from the cast. Being entirely honest, I didn't come away from it thinking "wow, that was one of the best films I've seen recently", but I certainly thought it was an excellent one.

An easy 9/10 though. Strikes chords in virtually every genre going, incredibly compelling, deep, rich. Definitely one of those movies that deserves the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yep I still hate this overrated rubbish film.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

El Duda wrote: »
    To all the people who felt slightly underwhelmed by this;

There was so much hype surrounding this and in many cases it was never going to live up to it. But I saw it for a second time earlier this week and there is a lot to take in.

Little things like how Ki-Jung uses different accents. The use of vertical lines and how certain characters 'cross the line' at various points.

It is pretty much perfect. It does everything it sets out to achieve marvellously.

Ye like annoying does of us who have no interest in this movie. I had no problem with been out in the cinema but when it was on every 10 minutes in every screen well that just pissed me off. This is when cinema's started to go ****ty and have no good movies in them so maybe Covid will fix that. Maybe I will watch it on T.V but there was no way I was in anyway interested in watching this in the cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Ye like annoying does of us who have no interest in this movie. I had no problem with been out in the cinema but when it was on every 10 minutes in every screen well that just pissed me off. This is when cinema's started to go ****ty and have no good movies in them so maybe Covid will fix that. Maybe I will watch it on T.V but there was no way I was in anyway interested in watching this in the cinema.

What a weird attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Strange chap/lady. Not sure what your point is.
    You were obviously very aggravated that this was on in the cinema too many times. Your opinion is that it is an overrated rubbish film. But yet you might watch it, notwithstanding that there is so much viewing material out there via netflix, streaming etc.
    Are you saying that you haven't watched Parasite yet, but your review is that it is an "overrated rubbish film".
    I'm afraid you're not giving yourself much credibility here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So, I get that it's frustrating when a film you don't care about dominates the cinema but for me, that's stuff like Star Wars or MCU film releases (no joke, last two MCU films had at least 25 screenings a day at the Cineworld near me, which pretty much means "if you're not here for Avengers, away and p*ss off"). But I just can't imagine Parasite dominating cinemas in the same way, even as the first foreign film to win Best Picture.

In any case, it's been gone from cinemas for ages now so presumably won't be inconveniencing you further.

What didn't you like about it, if you don't mind my asking?

There is no way in this world that that is an appropriate response to a movie so I'd suggest looking into your mental health and stress levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

There is no way in this world that that is an appropriate response to a movie so I'd suggest looking into your mental health and stress levels.

Don't mind him. He's just a wind up merchant. He's on another thread giving out that Phil Hogan had to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I thought it was awful and don't get the hype. Totally unbelievable for me and just bored me to tears.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny to read the latter numbers of pages here for a film with such breathless hype. I dunno; hype in of itself is a poison IMO because while born from a sense of consensus, it infects indivudual viewers with an incredibly subjetive bias before a single frame is seen. So naturally a film, TV show or whatever ends up underwhelming many because their sense of hype was utterly disporportionate to the end-product.

For me? The opposite. I loved every last moment of this and is perhaps the exception that proves the rule of Oscar winners often being only mediocre. This was deserved winner to me.

It was something with the pulse of Hitchcock, mixing social commentary, thriller and comedy; all balanced with apparently effortless brio & panache. Not necessarily a very subtle film - though still comparatively subtler than Joon-Ho's previous, Snowpiercer & Okja - but the broad strokes had depth by way of its strong characterisation and the cast's own quantifiable personas. I had a blast.

It also possessed the single most haunting, terrifying image from a movie that year. Ye gods my skin crawled at such a simple, yet evocative image.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Now on Prime Video for whoever hasn’t gotten around to this delightful masterpiece yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

pixelburp wrote: »

It also possessed the single most haunting, terrifying image from a movie that year. Ye gods my skin crawled at such a simple, yet evocative image.

Which image?

I'd imagine it's the kid seeing the guy who lives downstairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It was a grand watch.

Advertisement