Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parasite (dir. Bong Joon-Ho)

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's the kid seeing
    the guy who lives downstairs

Yup, that very one (might still be worth spoiler texting, just in case).

Was just a perfect composition that briefly pitched the film into horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought the most effective imagery was
    the sister sitting casually in the overflowing sewage of the wrecked apartment sparking up a cigarette.
    A real sudden crash-landing to earth after the previous masquerading and a reminder that these wretched conditions are so disturbingly normal for so many people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a fair shout too; I do love how this movie managed to pivot from one genre or tone to another, without ever making the entire feature feel disjointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

FINALLY got around to seeing this.

It was very good, but I was a little underwhelmed after hearing so much adoration.

It's filmed beautifully, someone mentioned it almost looks like a high quality animation at some points. Brilliantly acted. I just felt it was a little silly and hamfisted in relation to the story and execution.

Everyone should be forced to watch this and White Tiger, and as a result there'd be no more hired help :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

FINALLY got around to seeing this.

It was very good, but I was a little underwhelmed after hearing so much adoration.

It's filmed beautifully, someone mentioned it almost looks like a high quality animation at some points. Brilliantly acted. I just felt it was a little silly and hamfisted in relation to the story and execution.

Everyone should be forced to watch this and White Tiger, and as a result there'd be no more hired help :pac:

It sticks with you. I haven't watched it in ages, but it's still lodged in my brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

Homelander wrote: »
    I thought the most effective imagery was
    the sister sitting casually in the overflowing sewage of the wrecked apartment sparking up a cigarette.
    A real sudden crash-landing to earth after the previous masquerading and a reminder that these wretched conditions are so disturbingly normal for so many people.

All I could think of during that scene was Ralph Wiggum's "The rat symbolizes obviousness". I found it an enjoyable film but highly overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Why was the rich wife asking for drugs during the sex scene?

Role play regarding the girl the driver had sex with in the car? There was something about the underwear mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Role play regarding the girl the driver had sex with in the car? There was something about the underwear mentioned.

You could well be right, seems a bit daft to me.

Overall, Liked the first two thirds of the film, less hot on the last third. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I read it as her trying to be "dirty" because he was turned on by the idea of the driver having sex in the car.
    (Which didn't actually happen - the daughter left the knickers there to get the driver fired.)

I just saw this for the first time tonight, spoiler-free. I was also struck by the imagery during the basement flooding scene, the sewage exploding out of the toilet: foreshadowing? There is a lot of symbolism to unpack e.g. is there something in the youngest kid's fascination with "Indians" (Native Americans)?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,203 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's on Channel 4 at 10pm tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Going to need a couple Copallas and Fellinis ourra you before I jump on board. I'm very set in my ways, but they're good ways to be set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

FINALLLLY got around to giving this a full watch. Got interrupted 30 minutes in about a year ago and said I'd come back.

I remember that time, I'd just been noticing that the characters were being made absorbing by the director and writing.

Since then though, came squid game..

Still wasn't expecting the dude in the basement! I think the hardest moment was the smallest moment of looking at him and the housekeepers photo from when they were young. I think that tied their story together so well.

After that, what a mad ending! I was like 😲 and then 😱 and then 😬 and then 😱.

Very grim at the very end depending on how it's interpretted I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eopr

Really great film! I watched it before it became too well known, so had average expectations. Enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Guy I work with came in saying it was the best film he'd ever seen (!) so I was well set up for disappointment.

Advertisement