Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowman Palace plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cripes. March 2020 eh? Seems like a lifetime ago. Well, here we are now in July and finally a glimpse of the Palace! Bowman, like everyone else were affected by manufacturing difficulties, so I heard nothing in May, nothing in June and I just put it to the back of my mind,
    and rode the beajysus outta my TCR advanced (bloody great bike).
    But over the weekend I got the latest news bulletin that the new Palace R was on the way - complete with promo shots, specs and colour schemes.

palace_3c_bk_copper_main_product-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1594989852

palace_3c_bk_copper_main_product-2_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1594989852

palace_3c_lemon_sherbet_main_product-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1594989900

palace_3c_lemon_sherbet_main_product-2_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1594989900

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

fat bloke wrote: »
    Cripes. March 2020 eh? Seems like a lifetime ago. Well, here we are now in July and finally a glimpse of the Palace! Bowman, like everyone else were affected by manufacturing difficulties, so I heard nothing in May, nothing in June and I just put it to the back of my mind,
    and rode the beajysus outta my TCR advanced (bloody great bike).
    But over the weekend I got the latest news bulletin that the new Palace R was on the way - complete with promo shots, specs and colour schemes.

I like them but the left sided routing seems strange. All cables are now routed on the left side of bike.

What say y'all?

What really attracted me day one to the Palace was the Bianchi-alike celeste colour scheme. I'm torn between these two offerings. But which one? Is the black too black, or is the yellow too yellow?

I think in isolation I really like the black and copper, it looks fab, but in terms of my own garage I already have two black/grey bikes. The yellow therefore is a complete departure, and a bit of craic maybe... until I come to wash it. Dark colours are aesthetically very forgiving in terms of hiding dirt and marks or lesions.

I've officially requested the yellow one, but I'm sure I've a window to change it yet. Thing is I don't think I have a preferred side of the fence. Whichever one I get I think I'll be happy with but simultaneously wish I had the other! :D

I like them but the left sided routing seems strange. All cables are now routed on the left side of bike.

Wouldn't be a consideration at all for me I have to say. Unless there's a functionality trade off I'm unaware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I like the look of the first one the yellow is nice but it's yellow :D Is the first one black or Navy?

I'm not sure about the chainstay protector on the yellow one the old inner tube trick on a promo model is a bit odd and it's not even a gravel bike :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I vote yellow, you can't have enough colour! The black one is really lovely too, the copper is gorgeous, but seeing a yellow bike is just so cheering. Seeing it in your stable, looking down when on it, yellow is going to make you smile IMO.
    Plus there are a lot of black bikes out there, why chose another one when you have some already?
    Team Yellow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Wouldn't do it for me I'd have to say. Cabling for a mechanical frame looks like a dogs dinner, and they're no longer the "Palace:R colours". Increased tyre clearance is good but why have they gone internal with the gear cables and left the rear brake external? And why have they routed them both through the left downtube like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a vote for yellow too here.
    the bike i have i prefer the look of the most is the banana yellow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Colours aren't bad, not a huge fan to the typeface and graphics.

The big question for you seems to be it was the Celeste/Black colour scheme that attracted you to the frame. So if you get one of these will it always get to you a bit that its not really the bike you wanted? Respray is an option but you could do that with any frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Black and copper is lovely but yellow all the way - especially with the dark tones from the finishing kit and the contrast with the tan wall tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I like the cooper colour within the darker frame but there's something a bit special about that yellow colour. It's very different, fits the bike well. I'd be going yellow.

Indeed, but so would a VW Caravelle in British racing green. -Nothin' to do with my Palace R thread though! :)

If I had a disc based groupset and wheels ready to go on something touring-biased it might be a consideration but this is all about a rim braked race* bike.

*(which I will not race)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Fair enough I'll look forward to the finished article

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

Is refund still an option? I don’t see what all the hype is about personally, but each to their own

comete wrote: »
    Is refund still an option? I don’t see what all the hype is about personally, but each to their own

Refund was an option but then sure I wouldnt have a bike! :)

I'm not sure I'd call it hype but I'd heard very complimentary things about the Palace R and liked the looks.
    I like the idea of having a "top end" aluminium bike in the garage as an alternate ride of a sunny day. Its more interesting to me than "another" carbon bike, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Refund was an option but then sure I wouldnt have a bike! :)

I'm not sure I'd call it hype but I'd heard very complimentary things about the Palace R and liked the looks.
    I like the idea of having a "top end" aluminium bike in the garage as an alternate ride of a sunny day. Its more interesting to me than "another" carbon bike, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I didn't mean for that to come across as dismissive of the brand as it does upon re-reading it, I just think your cervelo is an infinitely nicer bike, and if it was my own dosh I'd have shipped that off to colourburn studio for a personalised paint job.

That all said, variety is the spice of life, and I'm sure it'll build up to a fine bike that you'll still ride up hills faster than most others!

Gun to my head, I'd have the black and copper one, and then I'd sell it and buy a genesis volare 853 ha ha ha

Oh gosh yeah, for 6 times the R5 would want to be a superior machine, and that's not going anywhere - quite literally, it's in the attic :).

A good alu frame is a lovely thing too though. Should be a nice light build for small enough money, and something different to ride for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Oh gosh yeah, for 6 times the R5 would want to be a superior machine, and that's not going anywhere - quite literally, it's in the attic :).

A good alu frame is a lovely thing too though. Should be a nice light build for small enough money, and something different to ride for a while.

I built up a Rose alu last year and it was probably the best bang for buck bike I've had. I should've kept it. It was fast, comfortable and nimble, and I wasn't paranoid about it getting a scratch like I would be on my other bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭1971bsb

The black frame looks fab, but the yellow just rocks! Will wait to see how yours looks built up before pulling the trigger!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Yellow all day!

• Advertisement

No. Not mine. I'm not bathed in the south-of-France evening sun on my new yellow Bowman. Not yet. Just a press shot from the website.

Looks nice though dunnit?:cool:

lighter

No. Not mine. I'm not bathed in the south-of-France evening sun on my new yellow Bowman. Not yet. Just a press shot from the website.

Looks nice though dunnit?:cool:

lighter

Neither is the photographer of that shot ;)

That’s Eynsford viaduct, in Kent.

comete wrote: »
    Neither is the photographer of that shot ;)

That’s Eynsford viaduct, in Kent.

I haven't been there in a while so I thought it might be the Dropping Well and 9 arches, just gone overgrown since lockdown? :)

I haven't been there in a while so I thought it might be the Dropping Well and 9 arches, just gone overgrown since lockdown? :)

Just as many range rovers ha ha

Grrr.

Still no frame. At what point do I justifiably become Pi$$ed Off Bloke? :mad:

Coming up on nearly 12 months soon since originally paying for a frame for a new season ride. Might not even have it as a winter bike at this stage. :(

Aw.
    Why the wait?

eeeee wrote: »
    Aw.
    Why the wait?

Was told they'd have a new Palace R coming May, then June, then July, then August.... You're starting to see a pattern here...

I mean it's fair enough, massive delays worldwide with manufacturing but since August they've been trumpeting the arrival of the new frames and taking fresh orders and still no sign of one for me :(

Aw, that's disappointing.
    Send them a mail that's just a massive pic of you looking sad and Palace R-less :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

@fat bloke - time to get cranky, amazing how when you raise your voice, you always get some reaction. Hope you get the yellow frame, its savage indeed - it's on my list for sure!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

You could tell them there's a thread full of potential customers on a forum, eagerly awaiting pictures of your new build...

Advertisement