Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The XFL is back.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The NFL seems to be in a bit of a slump and a lot of fans have become disinterested.

Perhaps vinnie mac sees a potential gap in the market for a viable alternative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

XFL2: Electric Boogaloo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Weekly Lingerie Bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

ricero wrote: »
    The NFL seems to be in a bit of a slump and a lot of fans have become disinterested.

Perhaps vinnie mac sees a potential gap in the market for a viable alternative

Wouldn'the fans losing interest suggest the exact opposite of a gap in the market? I think the last thing people want is MORE FOOTBALL!!

The fact it failed first time around, he really won't want it failing again. I wonder will he put 100% of his efforts into it this time around and let HHH etc run the WWE side of things?

Nah never going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The fact it failed first time around, he really won't want it failing again. I wonder will he put 100% of his efforts into it this time around and let HHH etc run the WWE side of things?

Nah never going to happen.

from what bruce prichard said it took so much out of everyone involved to run both i think theres a good chance hell let a bit of power slip but hell still have the deciding factor which in the end is all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

For all the talk of the demise of the NFL, it's still the highest watched sport in America and all the franchises are incredibly profitable. It's an American institution

Nobody wants a yellow pack version as seen by the failures of a number of alternative leagues over the years, not just the XFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

sky88 wrote: »
    from what bruce prichard said it took so much out of everyone involved to run both i think theres a good chance hell let a bit of power slip but hell still have the deciding factor which in the end is all that matters

Right now Vince approves the ideas, but most if not all of the ideas come through Steph first. So what you see now probably wont change much

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Right now Vince approves the ideas, but most if not all of the ideas come through Steph first. So what you see now probably wont change much

didst think steph was too involved in story lines anymore just assumed it was trips in that role

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They did a test run of the live stream and this picture has leaked from it...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUZcEMYW0AExSvo?format=jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A lot of this will depend on who his broadcast partner is going to be as well.

Or

The XFL Network for $9.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Al Snow confirmed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Will Roman look strong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I think he'll get it right this time, from what i remember the XFL was set up within a year, teams were set up fairly late so coaches and players didnt even have time to learn playbooks, everything was rushed and yet it was a massive ratings winner on its 1st night, and the games were decent considering they were learning on the go, it was during the 2nd or 3rd week game there was a massive power failure that caused them major problems, and then as the viewers dropped, he brought some of the wrestlers in to try and boost ratings.

The fact this time he's giving it 2 years to launch, i reckon it'll be a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

will be worth it if we hear this again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote:
    will be worth it if we hear this again

Or Vince on commentary. He knew f**k all wrestling moves despite owning a company so I'm sure he'll be fine with football plays.

If any of ye have'nt seen it, theres an espn 30 for 30 about it, thats well worth checking out

Vince wasnt supposed to walk out and announce the XFL like that, but he did anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

will franchises rent stadiums off NFL teams for there games

where will the XFL players come from ???

sorry don't knw much about American football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

This was such a failure the first time, why won't it be the second time? I think it's a weird move.

DUabTEyW4AAuYtp.jpg

• Advertisement

#WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon said the 2020 #XFL will have eight teams and play a 10-game season in its second attempt as a professional football league.

https://twitter.com/sportingnewsca/status/956622661773348866

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kentoccfc

If at first you don't succeed, fail again 19 years later

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wonder if this is something of a retirement project for Vince. Its initial failure has always hung over his head, and I couldn't imagine him "retiring" in the traditional sense. Maybe this gives him something to step back from WWE for, and focus his attention elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/956620755155828736?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

Seemed a bit haphazard to announce it with so little info. 8 teams (no clue on locations, coaches, players), 2020 date(despite having no broadcast deal) & sticking to the failed XFL brand is a real head scratcher.

He always has the Network to put it out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He may try and take on the CFL for the 3rd football league in North America after the NFL and college football

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This thread isn't complete without this
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

It's funny as I just watched an American Football game the other day and thought the game seemed fun but there were too many rules and the game was very long.

Sounds like he has something there. From what I remember from the last XFL he rushed it out and they kept tweaking all the rules. Too many people from WWE in the forefront as well hurt it. I have an American friend who won't have anything to do with wrestling and he said people who like football just want that.He didn't like the original due to WWE crossover.I think we all can identify with that, as I groan everytime there will be a performance during the WWE shows from FloRida or whoever else they get!

Seems like Vince is doing the right thing by letting other people in the know do things.

Surely I wasn't the only one who laughed out loud when he said watching a game over 3 hours was laborious?!! Emmmmm RAW anyone?! He wasnts to get games down to 2 hours but he should start with RAW!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

fair play to him for doing this, it is obviously something he believes in and is doing what he can to make it happen

• Advertisement

If any of ye have'nt seen it, theres an espn 30 for 30 about it, thats well worth checking out

Vince wasnt supposed to walk out and announce the XFL like that, but he did anyway

BT Sports 1 is showing the 30 for 30 at 10.30pm on Monday for anyone interested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

BT Sports 1 is showing the 30 for 30 at 10.30pm on Monday for anyone interested.

I am interested. Great timing by BT sports to air it. Pure coincidence no doubt.

Vince will not be happy about this his friends son beating him to the punch

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/976112651469250562

ajv5a9.gif

The market seems oversatured already

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sky88 wrote: »
    Vince will not be happy about this his friends son beating him to the punch

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/976112651469250562

Oh wow that's not good news at all, there's barely an appetite for 2 leagues let alone three.

That's the problem with announcing it so early he showed all of his cards. And with CBS picking it up it'll make it harder for him to secure a TV deal.

Pure disaster for Vinny Mac.

Oh my god its called the alliance thats hilarious

i wonder if shane and steph own it :pac:

https://youtu.be/wXldWeuggm4

• Advertisement

Gone very quiet on this after the big hype announcement.

Gone very quiet on this after the big hype announcement.

They have an Instagram page that’s very active. They’re going to be announcing the city’s receiving teams soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The cities for the XFL have leaked
    Dallas
    Houston
    Los Angeles
    New York
    St. Louis
    Seattle
    Tampa Bay
    Washington DC

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/all-eight-xfl-cities-have-been-revealed/?fbclid=IwAR0odTn8AIw1-X1IB9aKQUYRPy0wNKpIZ6gkAkmgOkT7cApurDq-579hSjo

Given that the cities above already have NFL teams, I don't see the point of Vince and the XFL launching teams in said cities.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The cities for the XFL have leaked

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/all-eight-xfl-cities-have-been-revealed/?fbclid=IwAR0odTn8AIw1-X1IB9aKQUYRPy0wNKpIZ6gkAkmgOkT7cApurDq-579hSjo

Given that the cities above already have NFL teams, I don't see the point of Vince and the XFL launching teams in said cities.

I suppose as its probably gonna be run during the nfl off season, he's hoping the cities nfl fans will go watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭brick tamland

St Louis don't have a team anymore due to the Rams legging it. Suppose the might have room for a team now

• Advertisement

Vince just has sold $270m in WWE shares to help fund this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Vince just has sold $270m in WWE shares to help fund this.
    He's some man all the same. The guy is 73 and has a work ethic to put anyone I've ever known to shame.

XFL Sets TV Deals For 2020 Debut, Mixing Disney And Fox Broadcast And Cable
    The XFL, which has been resurrected by WWE chief Vince McMahon as a bid to satisfy year-round viewer appetite for football, has announced multi-year deals with ESPN and FOX Sports to televise games in its inaugural 2020 season.

Games will have broadcast slots each weekend on ABC and Fox, with carriage on cable via ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 and FS2. The schedule calls for back-to-back games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

The XFL will kick off on February 8 with teams in Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Washington D.C. The league said more programming and on-air talent announcements are planned at a later date.

In its first incarnation, which lasted just one season in 2001, the XFL proved a disastrous partnership between NBC and the WWE. Its revival, announced in 2017, followed a popular installment of ESPN’s 30-for-30 memorializing the first go-round. McMahon and commissioner Oliver Luck have promised a league that is not only entertaining for viewers but also safer than the NFL, whose high-profile issues with concussions and brain trauma have helped suppress youth football participation.

“We look forward to showcasing the XFL on ESPN and ABC, including the kickoff game and championship during the league’s inaugural season,” ESPN EVP of Programming and Scheduling Burke Magnus said. “Vince McMahon and Oliver Luck are two of the sports industry’s most creative and experienced leaders, and they have exciting plans for this league. We believe in their vision for the XFL, which will be a great addition to our year-round commitment to football.”

“We welcome the XFL to the FOX Sports Family and are pleased to expand our relationship with Vince McMahon,” said Eric Shanks, FOX Sports CEO & Executive Producer. “Football is in FOX Sports’ DNA and a key component of our programming strategy. Alongside Oliver Luck and his incredible team, we’re excited for the debut of the XFL on FOX Sports.”

“We are thrilled to partner with ESPN and FOX Sports, two innovative media companies with extensive experience in world-class football production that will undoubtedly help us reimagine football,” McMahon said. “The XFL broadcast schedule provides us with incredible reach and makes it easy for fans to watch our games consistently every weekend.”

The agreements were negotiated by CAA Sports and Evolution Media Capital on behalf of the XFL.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/xfl-sets-tv-deals-for-2020-debut-mixing-disney-and-fox-broadcast-and-cable-1202607885/

WWE Sued for Internal Records on Company’s XFL Ties
    “The lawsuit, filed Dec. 26 in Delaware Chancery Court by an Oklahoma firefighters pension fund, claims there is “a credible basis to believe” that McMahon and other WWE senior officers breached their duties to investors by diverting valuable resources to the XFL.”

“The suit also suggests that the company’s board members may have failed to conduct appropriate oversight to ensure McMahon didn’t engage in transactions that conflict with WWE’s interests.”

https://www.xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/wwe-shareholder-sues-vince-mcmahon-and-wwe-over-xfl/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

PTH2009 wrote: »
    will franchises rent stadiums off NFL teams for there games

where will the XFL players come from ???

sorry don't knw much about American football

I know this post is nearly two old, but most American sports teams play in stadiums and arenas owned by the city. There are only four teams in the NFL that own and operate the stadiums they play in. This is why you often hear about teams moving to a different city, they don't have infrastructure anchoring them down to the city.

America isn't the overly-privatised capitalist shíthole as European left-wingers think. I prefer our way, supporting a team that was located in a different city last season just seems very superficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hammer of the Clods

America isn't the overly-privatised capitalist shíthole as European left-wingers think.

I don't really get this comment... From what I understand a lot sports teams in the US can essentially hold the cities that own the stadiums to ransom to ensure their continued affiliation with that city/stadium.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwJt4bcnXs

Starts this weekend two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Are they not allowed to promote it on WWE or something?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Are they not allowed to promote it on WWE or something?

prob trying to separate it a little as they over saturated it with wwe the last time

• Advertisement
Advertisement