Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The XFL is back.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The NFL seems to be in a bit of a slump and a lot of fans have become disinterested.

Perhaps vinnie mac sees a potential gap in the market for a viable alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

XFL2: Electric Boogaloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Weekly Lingerie Bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

ricero wrote: »
    The NFL seems to be in a bit of a slump and a lot of fans have become disinterested.

Perhaps vinnie mac sees a potential gap in the market for a viable alternative

Wouldn'the fans losing interest suggest the exact opposite of a gap in the market? I think the last thing people want is MORE FOOTBALL!!

The fact it failed first time around, he really won't want it failing again. I wonder will he put 100% of his efforts into it this time around and let HHH etc run the WWE side of things?

Nah never going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The fact it failed first time around, he really won't want it failing again. I wonder will he put 100% of his efforts into it this time around and let HHH etc run the WWE side of things?

Nah never going to happen.

from what bruce prichard said it took so much out of everyone involved to run both i think theres a good chance hell let a bit of power slip but hell still have the deciding factor which in the end is all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

For all the talk of the demise of the NFL, it's still the highest watched sport in America and all the franchises are incredibly profitable. It's an American institution

Nobody wants a yellow pack version as seen by the failures of a number of alternative leagues over the years, not just the XFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

sky88 wrote: »
    from what bruce prichard said it took so much out of everyone involved to run both i think theres a good chance hell let a bit of power slip but hell still have the deciding factor which in the end is all that matters

Right now Vince approves the ideas, but most if not all of the ideas come through Steph first. So what you see now probably wont change much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Right now Vince approves the ideas, but most if not all of the ideas come through Steph first. So what you see now probably wont change much

didst think steph was too involved in story lines anymore just assumed it was trips in that role

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They did a test run of the live stream and this picture has leaked from it...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUZcEMYW0AExSvo?format=jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A lot of this will depend on who his broadcast partner is going to be as well.

Or

The XFL Network for $9.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Al Snow confirmed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Will Roman look strong?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I think he'll get it right this time, from what i remember the XFL was set up within a year, teams were set up fairly late so coaches and players didnt even have time to learn playbooks, everything was rushed and yet it was a massive ratings winner on its 1st night, and the games were decent considering they were learning on the go, it was during the 2nd or 3rd week game there was a massive power failure that caused them major problems, and then as the viewers dropped, he brought some of the wrestlers in to try and boost ratings.

The fact this time he's giving it 2 years to launch, i reckon it'll be a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

will be worth it if we hear this again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote:
    will be worth it if we hear this again

Or Vince on commentary. He knew f**k all wrestling moves despite owning a company so I'm sure he'll be fine with football plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

If any of ye have'nt seen it, theres an espn 30 for 30 about it, thats well worth checking out

Vince wasnt supposed to walk out and announce the XFL like that, but he did anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

will franchises rent stadiums off NFL teams for there games

where will the XFL players come from ???

sorry don't knw much about American football

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

This was such a failure the first time, why won't it be the second time? I think it's a weird move.

DUabTEyW4AAuYtp.jpg

• Advertisement

#WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon said the 2020 #XFL will have eight teams and play a 10-game season in its second attempt as a professional football league.

https://twitter.com/sportingnewsca/status/956622661773348866

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kentoccfc

If at first you don't succeed, fail again 19 years later

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wonder if this is something of a retirement project for Vince. Its initial failure has always hung over his head, and I couldn't imagine him "retiring" in the traditional sense. Maybe this gives him something to step back from WWE for, and focus his attention elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/956620755155828736?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

Seemed a bit haphazard to announce it with so little info. 8 teams (no clue on locations, coaches, players), 2020 date(despite having no broadcast deal) & sticking to the failed XFL brand is a real head scratcher.

He always has the Network to put it out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He may try and take on the CFL for the 3rd football league in North America after the NFL and college football

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This thread isn't complete without this
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭The White Feather

It's funny as I just watched an American Football game the other day and thought the game seemed fun but there were too many rules and the game was very long.

Sounds like he has something there. From what I remember from the last XFL he rushed it out and they kept tweaking all the rules. Too many people from WWE in the forefront as well hurt it. I have an American friend who won't have anything to do with wrestling and he said people who like football just want that.He didn't like the original due to WWE crossover.I think we all can identify with that, as I groan everytime there will be a performance during the WWE shows from FloRida or whoever else they get!

Seems like Vince is doing the right thing by letting other people in the know do things.

Surely I wasn't the only one who laughed out loud when he said watching a game over 3 hours was laborious?!! Emmmmm RAW anyone?! He wasnts to get games down to 2 hours but he should start with RAW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

fair play to him for doing this, it is obviously something he believes in and is doing what he can to make it happen

• Advertisement

If any of ye have'nt seen it, theres an espn 30 for 30 about it, thats well worth checking out

Vince wasnt supposed to walk out and announce the XFL like that, but he did anyway

BT Sports 1 is showing the 30 for 30 at 10.30pm on Monday for anyone interested.

Advertisement