Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

And it gets better. Tom Cruise did his own helicopter stunt piloting! Including the downward spiral seen in the trailer.

I wonder how Cruise gets movie insurance ? when he risks his life doing these sort of mad stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm intrigued by it. But Cavill's punches are bloody awful, the first one missed by a country mile. Poor editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I wonder what epic stunt Tom Cruise will do himself in this one

Rumour has it he's going to attempt this:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Mr E wrote: »

Ok, that looks cool! Feels like it has substance, action and a story!

Other notes:
    - Theme song being used well!
    - Henry Cavill looking well placed.

Also:
    I'm jumping out a window
    ! :D

• Advertisement

That's gotta be
    a nuke at the wedding scene
    right?

Could be
    a dream sequence
    I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Mission Impossible >James Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Have certainly enjoyed the last few mission impossible films more than the last several Bond releases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think what helps is that Mission Impossible isn't as beholden to a rigid, commercial template as the Bond franchise; lets be honest, the latter is now little more than a slim excuse for Tom Ford, Rolex and a dozen other luxury brands to advertise in-front of a captive audience for 2 hours - wrapped around one of the thinnest non-characters in cinema.

Also, Mission Impossible hit upon a an accidental approach to let each movie be its own thing, with a small strand of continuity linking each film. In what other mainstream, blockbuster franchise could you have Brian DePalma, John Woo, JJ Abrams and Brad Bird all directing a film? Apart from the requisite death-defying stunt in the continued middle-age crisis of Tom Cruise, all the films are allowed exist as independent creative projects.

• Advertisement

Because

Literally

Of course he did a HALO JUMP! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Twitter responses are extremely positive. Might start my rewatch of the series this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

91 on metacritic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you had have told me 15 years ago that the continuing Mission Impossible series would become the most reliable series for ludicrous, no-nonsense, thrilling action... I would have called you a goddamn liar.

But here we are: no more reliable summer thrills than Tom Cruise being a mad bastard for these gloriously dumb films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Twitter responses are extremely positive. Might start my rewatch of the series this weekend.

I rewatched the series last month. It is all great except MI2. I know it is a cliche to say so but it really is rubbish and is the black sheep of the franchise. I love all the rest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a franchise that by all accounts shouldn't still be here, yet has maintained a high reputation that's legitimately earned. My only quibble is that it's a shame McQuarrie has returned and they didn't continue the trend of each film getting a new director.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

If you had have told me 15 years ago that the continuing Mission Impossible series would become the most reliable series for ludicrous, no-nonsense, thrilling action... I would have called you a goddamn liar.

But here we are: no more reliable summer thrills than Tom Cruise being a mad bastard for these gloriously dumb films.

I think the MI franchise has inherited that mantle from Bond. For most of that franchise, one of the main selling points of those movies were the insane stunts and unique thrilling action. I think MI has eclipsed Bond in that regard. I still think the last two Bonds were very good though and I would not be surprised if Q's more active role in the action was inspired by Simon Pegg's excellent addition to MI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a franchise that by all accounts shouldn't still be here, yet has maintained a high reputation that's legitimately earned. My only quibble is that it's a shame McQuarrie has returned and they didn't continue the trend of each film getting a new director.

It makes no difference since they stopped hiring auteurs after Woo, or at least stopped letting directors go wild as if they were making one of their own movies. I don't want to say Abrams Marvelised the franchise (though he has produced every film since III), but Bird and McQuarrie haven't moved far beyond the stylistic template he established. And tbh it's probably for the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, there’s an awful lot to be said for perhaps the one major franchise that consistently favours old-fashioned, death-defying spectacle. Pretty much every other major series boasting these sorts of budgets are CG-a-ramas, even the good ones. But there’s an old school approach to the Mission Impossible films, matched by savvy directorial choices like De Palma, Abrams, Bird, McQuarrie and even Woo (although that was closest to a failed experiment) who all have their own unique eye for thrills even if they’re not quite out-and-out auteurs. Even as it settled into something more approaching a ‘house style’, there’s an enjoyably different texture to all the films from MI3 onwards even if they’re all from the same basic materials and fit snugly together.

The good sense for director choices is what sets them apart from Bond - there’s a certain persistent blandness to that series, including the better ones (but especially in cack like Die Another Day), that only Skyfall really properly addressed. That’s not a sense I get with MI, even with the aforementioned ‘house style’.

While CG is hardly a wholly evil tool - and I’m certain it’s used liberally in these films too - spectacle cinema these days is almost universally over-reliant on the...ahem... completely impossible. Here’s one series that takes a somewhat different tact - and even if they’re hardly masterpieces, it’s a shame there’s only the rare other film out there taking this endearing approach on this scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm just back from it, caught a preview screening in the imax cineworld. No actual spoilers below, just my opinion on the movie without going deep, ill tag it just encase people don't want to be influenced prior to seeing it.

I didnt like it much,
    very little to enjoy outside the action in this one, its just a rollercoaster ride of action sequences one after the other for 2 and a half hours, i actually had a headache walking out of it..

Some of the dialogue in the movie was just terrible, like whoever wrote it, wasnt a writer at all and just wrote out the most generic conversations just to link the endless action sequences together. It was literally non stop action wise, no give, kinda like the recent avengers movie but lacking any charm/humor/wit/creativity story telling wise.

Id give it a 2 out of 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

nix wrote: »
    I'm just back from it, caught a preview screening in the imax cineworld. No actual spoilers below, just my opinion on the movie without going deep, ill tag it just encase people don't want to be influenced prior to seeing it.

I didnt like it much, very little to enjoy outside the action in this one, its just a rollercoaster ride of action sequences one after the other for 2 and a half hours, i actually had a headache walking out of it..

Some of the dialogue in the movie was just terrible, like whoever wrote it, wasnt a writer at all and just wrote out the most generic conversations just to link the endless action sequences together. It was literally non stop action wise, no give, kinda like the recent avengers movie but lacking any charm/humor/wit/creativity story telling wise.

Id give it a 2 out of 5.

Why do i always click the spoilers!

Thanks for the spoiler tag, i read it and looking forward to seeing it even more now. MI franchise is a good'n for me.

How do people get preview screenings of movies though, i wouldnt mind going to one sometime. I have no idea hiwd you'd go about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I rewatched the series last month. It is all great except MI2. I know it is a cliche to say so but it really is rubbish and is the black sheep of the franchise. I love all the rest.

I'm biased towards MI2, it was one of the first movies I went to see with mates as a group so possibly enjoyed it more than others, but it has some great moments but yeah ultimately flawed by Woo amongst other things (Thandie Newtown and the fact the villain's sidekick is better than the villain).

I'm really looking forward to this new one, the trailer makes Henry Cavill look killer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm biased towards MI2, it was one of the first movies I went to see with mates as a group so possibly enjoyed it more than others, but it has some great moments but yeah ultimately flawed by Woo amongst other things (Thandie Newtown and the fact the villain's sidekick is better than the villain).

I'm really looking forward to this new one, the trailer makes Henry Cavill look killer too.

Agree, MI2 is the worst but all great franchise films need 1.
    Theres probably poor bits in each movie but as a whole from where it started to 20years(?) ago to where it is now, its a fine set of films together and always enjoyable.

Nix, you spoiler-texted so much we've no idea if you simply liked the movie or not :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Nix, you spoiler-texted so much we've no idea if you simply liked the movie or not :D

lol ok fixed, i edited in a little teaser, but just to reiterate, there is nothing pertaining to the story or any particular events in my post. Just why i didnt like it much :p:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

That the Thandie Newton one ? Weakest of the lot by far indeed.

If anyone wants my opinion (I'll not be offended at a rejection lol!) it's

MI 3 (Seymour Hoffman/JRM/Head bomb)
    Original (Voight eats the screen alive!)
    Rogue Nation - thought The Syndicate were a good idea
    Ghost Protocol - can take it or leave it tbh but a fun way to pass a boring hour or so
    MI 2

Ghost Protocol ranks high, purely by dint of the Burj Khalifa sequence, which has kinda set the watermark for 'Tom Cruise does a crazy stunt'. The rest of the film somewhat lost impetus by dint of a flat villain, though until the final act Brad Bird did great work generally - ditto Rogue Nation, which had a nice idea but no payoff in its villain.

Though for all the intensity of the stuntwork, I think one of the best and most intense scenes of the franchise was the interrogation sequence of MI:3 - mostly down to the calm menace of Hoffman, though to be fair Cruise does his part. In fact, Rogue Nation & the JJ Abrams sequel make for a good comparison, purely in terms of how important the right actor makes to any role, not least the villain of the piece. Hoffman commanded the screen, while Sean Harris was just ... there.

As mentioned elsewhere, the original is pretty quaint in comparison, more like a souped-up Cold War thriller than anything.

edit: this scene from MI:3 - it just had that bit more danger and tension than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The 30 minutes of IMAX footage in Ghost Protocol elevates it to one of my favourite cinema experiences of the past decade. I dare not watch it again as I know it can't match it on any other screen.

On the flipside, MI3 was one of the only times I watched a sh*tty CAM version of a movie which was horrible. I should really revisit that movie.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The 30 minutes of IMAX footage in Ghost Protocol elevates it to one of my favourite cinema experiences of the past decade. I dare not watch it again as I know it can't match it on any other screen.

On the flipside, MI3 was one of the only times I watched a sh*tty CAM version of a movie which was horrible. I should really revisit that movie.

Cam copy!? People actually watch them? First and Last time i watched a cam copy was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back in 1990 on vhs, it was enough to turn me off cam copies forever. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Trailer looks good. If only that eejit Simon Pegg wasn't in it.

Advertisement