Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing on the Dodder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 peter74

Weather has changed, so the hatches and fish is rising freely. I got some brownie and parrs on sunday. Missed many more. Grey duster worked really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

saw plenty of young trout under the bridge at lansdowne but they were tiny! a heron was paying very close attention too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Hi where can you buy the permits for the dodder?And how much.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Hi where can you buy the permits for the dodder?And how much.

thanks

Rorys fishing tackle in temple bar. South side angling cork st, Tallaght rod and gun, Baumanns Tackle stillorgan, Henrys tackle shop, ABC fishing Tackle.

Tight Lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DickieBowe

Bloody Butcher working very well for me on the east stretch at Ballsbridge.

• Advertisement

DickieBowe wrote: »
    Bloody Butcher working very well for me on the east stretch at Ballsbridge.

The butcher is a deadly fly anywhere on the dodder. :)

Best morning ever on the Dodder, this am, back again after the tea :D

Best morning ever on the Dodder, this am, back again after the tea :D

Had over 30 fish on the dodder this morning using a size 12 peter ross and a butcher. Never hit the pound mark but some nicely coloured wild brownies. But lots and lots of small trout. A cracking morning.

Very nice going Kipure, tomorrow after tea i am going to try a size 8 home tied Siver Stoat. Fingers crossed.
    I know it sounds mad, but I just get this crazy feeling!

Very nice going Kipure, tomorrow after tea i am going to try a size 8 home tied Siver Stoat. Fingers crossed.
    I know it sounds mad, but I just get this crazy feeling!

Would you believe a march brown is still good. Anything with silver in it is been devoured. I have been using alexanders 12,s, any black fly with silver in it. For those who say the river has been ravaged, proof is in the fly.

;)

• Advertisement

Kippure wrote: »
    Would you believe a march brown is still good. Anything with silver in it is been devoured. I have been using alexanders 12,s, any black fly with silver in it. For those who say the river has been ravaged, proof is in the fly.

;)
    You are right. There are fish in river, I got lots of small brownies on wet pheasant tail, but nothing really big. it was better with size this time of last year. But still good sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

although ive fished the resevoir,i have yet to fish the dodder,,can it be fished up near the resevoir?????
    dont really fancy fishing near towns and such,,,prefer the countryside :),

any pics :) of fish caught on the dodder??,,might fish it next week,,,been busy on my local small streams,the streams have come to life again :D,,plenty of dry fly action!!

tight lines lads

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

cj salmon wrote: »
    although ive fished the resevoir,i have yet to fish the dodder,,can it be fished up near the resevoir?????
    dont really fancy fishing near towns and such,,,prefer the countryside :),

CJS: The Dodder river at the reservoir is a sanctuary nursery area from which the little fish drop downstream as they grow bigger. You need to go a couple of miles down before finding fish of any size, and even then they're stream trout until it gets to Templeogure-Rathfarnham and the ph of the water ceases to be acidic with more fly life for the trout to feed on.

oh ok very good will go down stream so,i dont mind size at all,trout on my local stream are very small so...
    great sport on the 3 weight rod :) .

Fished Dodder on Sunday. Rain was not helping at all, but I managed couple of small fish. Later I wanted to try below ballsbridge, but sawage was released from pipe near the colleage. Trouts stopped rising, river got smelly and fishing was over:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

peter74 wrote: »
    Fished Dodder on Sunday. Rain was not helping at all, but I managed couple of small fish. Later I wanted to try below ballsbridge, but sawage was released from pipe near the colleage. Trouts stopped rising, river got smelly and fishing was over:(

well that's just not trout fishing is it?........................

I sure do hate it when everything turns to Sh*^e :D

I know that SENIOR MEMBERS of the Dodder anglers read this thread. For years raw sewage has been pouring into the dodder in 2 area,s. One just after the nine arch,s in miltown and two at the back of the rugby ground in ballsbridge, back of herbert park.

Whats going to to be done about it?

K.

Kippure wrote: »
    I know that SENIOR MEMBERS of the Dodder anglers read this thread. For years raw sewage has been pouring into the dodder in 2 area,s. One just after the nine arch,s in miltown and two at the back of the rugby ground in ballsbridge, back of herbert park.

Whats going to to be done about it?

K.

nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

ON the off chance that someone is going to read this messgae in the next half hour:P does anyone know where I can get a permit after tackle shops close, wanted to go today but didnt get a chance and now that the weather suits im itching to get out!

• Advertisement

Very late session yesterday, started after 8pm. Got 6 small brownies on pheasant tail, lost many more. Could anyone give me any advice, how to play the fish on barbless hooks? Plus what dry fly is working for you best these days? Thanks

Very late session yesterday, started after 8pm. Got 6 small brownies on pheasant tail, lost many more. Could anyone give me any advice, how to play the fish on barbless hooks? Plus what dry fly is working for you best these days? Thanks

Hares ear

• Registered Users Posts: 27 love to fly fish

Hi i was just curious is it possible to use a straight leader for fishing small dry flies on the dodder and if so what advice would you give on the type and lenght of leader and would i need to use a floatant paste on the dry fly.

I tried today on the dodder near the spawell for an hour fly fishing klinkhammer dries on a sraight flourocarbon 6lb leader but no join plenty of rises but no takes is the leader im using too heavy. Advice really appreciated

i would say 6lb flouro is over gunning for the average fish in there,but i am not a regular so there might be larger fish,any of the dodder regulars could help you on here,but for small rivers i use a 7 to 8 foot tapered leader ,tapered to 3lb ,then a 2 foot tippet maybe 2 lb breaking strain attached to the leaders end,shorter leaders on very small streams,i find tapered leaders for small dries turns over the very light flies with ease,and creates no disturbance on the water.
    this will present your flies better,but if you are getting rises,you may be timing your strikes wrong ,ie: too early /too late.this just takes practice,maybe the other more experienced guys could offer you a rule of thumb,but when i first started i found i struck too early and a little softly,so i now hesitate it a spilt second,but small trout are very quick,comes with time i found.
    hope thats of some help,from one novice to another,
    and best of luck,no better sport than the dry fly :)

Have to say CJ is bang on the money, as far as line thickness goes, clearly a case of "less is more"

Might i make one suggestion, that you walk up from the Spawell towards
    the South and try near the Boxing Club.

Hope this helps.

while i dont fish the dodder...the same rules apply and i would not use 6lbs for river dry fishing... i would use a 3lb co-polymer line when me river dries are out....of course the line is only part of the equation however give the lighter line a go your catch rate may well improve.....and its better fun on a lighter line...sort of a test of your skill if you know what i mean......

Hi lads thanks for the advice much appreciated also i want to ask would i need to use a floatant paste or something to aid in keeping my leader or fly afloat i would like if some lads on the dodder whom fly fish there could show me the set up that they use as in leader set up and dry fly fishing.

Would i even need a floatant to keep a tiny fly afloat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

If you could get your hands on some tapered leaders with say about a 3lb tippet than that would probably be your best bet. You could even make your own ones as well if you like. I generally use a leader of around 9ft maybe a little shorter. Some flotant would be good for the flies as they can become saturated and lose their buoyancy. Dont put the flotant on any CDC flies it doesnt help. I havent fished the dodder in a while but I would say a longish tapered leader would be best suited. Going to try get out this weekend and will let ya know how I get on.

Advertisement