Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in dangerous driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Crock Rock wrote: »
    But it's ok for Plumbthedepths to call other people a clown?

Why is he a clown btw? For saving thousands of lives?

I’m not Plumbdepths, i never called you names. Ross would have saved more lives with driver education along with promoting driver awareness than pushing up the speeding charge and making like it was the main cause of collisions when it’s not.

Where did the “thousands” figure come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

pow_pow wrote: »
    On the flip side, I think there is a marked decrease in a Garda presence on our roads. That is allowing dangerous drivers to drive more erratically because the fear of repercussions has increased greatly.

I live in Dublin City. It's been over 3 years since I drove through a checkpoint. I'm almost 40 and I've been breathalysed twice. I regularly have to drive to Cork and the overwhelming majority of drivers are driving over 120. I'd say the driving at 120 would be the minority.

12 checkpoints in Galway over a 8 hour period today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Jesus h. How about you concentrate on actually driving your own damn car and stop worrying about someone doing a few kph faster than you.

That is not a question - I have asked if that is something that should be considered but he/she doesn't want to hear that.

Its all about everyone else with no possibility that each of us focusing on our own safety is all we can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

But it's ok for Plumbthedepths to call other people a clown?

People?? One person, Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

People?? One person, Ross.
    And clown is being very polite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

The majority of people seem to favour increased punishment compared to any other individual results. Very refreshing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'll send it into traffic watch and make a statement in court . If they lose their licence and thus their job I'd be delighted. A fitting punishment.

You wouldn’t make it to court alive

What's that supposed to mean?

The majority of people seem to favour increased punishment compared to any other individual results. Very refreshing to see.

I’d expect that result from the boards high horse brigade, probably most who don’t even drive a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Seriously - you've clearly just passed you test and are going around spoutting your new found "righteousness" and RSA lazy soundbites to anyone who will listen :rolleyes:

motors used to be a forum for people into cars - now days its just another social media outlet for the snowflake crew to go round looking down on folks for minor offences.

• Advertisement

Seriously - you've clearly just passed you test and are going around spoutting

Got my B licence 9 years ago and am on the way to getting D.

Seriously - you've clearly just passed you test and are going around spoutting your new found "righteousness" and RSA lazy soundbites to anyone who will listen :rolleyes:

motors used to be a forum for people into cars - now days its just another social media outlet for the snowflake crew to go round looking down on folks for minor offences.

Aye, just passing the tests in my time 30 years ago was driving around roundabouts foot to the floor steering angle sideways and tyre screeching that could be heard 10 miles away and not to mention going over humped back bridges and feeling the thud as the 4 wheels landed back on the road ;-)

Seems to be more than about looking down on folk they want them to lose their jobs too.

Please don't ignore me. What's that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

am on the way to getting D.

yep, that'll be it so.

you'll have lost interest in boards motors soon and the next "outraged at speeders" thread will start when someone buys a new car or passes a test etc

They should be more severe and proportional to the excess speed.
    Let me rephrase. It's highly unlikely.

The majority of people break the speed limits.

They need to be severely punished.

Is there anyway I can identify you if I ever come up behind you so that I can overtake you even faster than I’d normally overtake?

Is there anyway I can identify you if I ever come up behind you so that I can overtake you even faster than I’d normally overtake?

You might lose your job though.

Why would you want to do that if I'm already at the limit?

Why would you want to do that if I'm already at the limit?

Because the limits are too slow in most cases, also it’s more fun to drive faster. I didn’t buy a fast car for creeping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Don't ever be that scum who doesn't turn off their full headlights when approaching oncoming vehicles, even when the other road user flashes them

Because the limits are too slow in most cases, also it’s more fun to drive faster. I didn’t buy a fast car for creeping around.

Limits are set by statute, not road type.

It's not your decision to decide to exceed those limits. I hope you're caught and banned from driving.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i have a nice 300bhp myself. It’s great letting the hair down now and again ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Don't ever be that scum who doesn't turn off their full headlights when approaching oncoming vehicles, even when the other road user flashes them

Yeah, sorry about that - I broke the entire stalk off.

A Meganes high-beams work different to my usual car - who'd have guessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Can someone tell me

Why don't the Gardai park across from all the rural pubs and subsequently pull all the aul and young lads driving home after 8 pints.

The 4 pubs around me will all have 12 or more cars outside them and by 2am they'll all be gone

Can someone tell me

Why don't the Gardai park across from all the rural pubs and subsequently pulls all the aul and young lads driving home after 8 pints.

The 4 pubs around me will all have 12 or more cars outside them and by 2am they'll all be gone

They might be afraid they won’t get the free booze delivered to the station for xmas .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's not your decision to decide to exceed those limits. I hope you're caught and banned from driving.

I have to ask, I have seen your posts in several threads. You always take the antagonistic standpoint. You basically provoke people for your own personal amusement. Whats missing in your life that you behave in this manner? You have my sympathy though I find posters like you sad.
    Anyway I'm finished on this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No, they're too strict as is.
    Other than the obvious trolls like in this case, I'd reckon at least some of it is the shift in age demographic towards more middle aged people. A demographic that tends to include more people whinging about change and how things were "in my day" and it's "all getting worse" etc. I have found men to be much worse for this than women(who tend to get a second wind in life). They also tend to plug more into external certainties, so "it's the law" is a common refrain from the type. They also tend to be much more risk averse and many are starting to see degradation in reaction times and learning new skills and adapting to change. In the case of traffic and driving many still drive like it's 20 or 30 years ago and the generally higher speeds, even within speed limits are uncomfortable for them. Add in a sprinkiing of the "nerd" demographic, which tends to be extremely risk averse, reactive and panicky and we see what we see. If you want to see that in full flow check out the threads on the coronavirus. Jaysus. :D

This notion of an increase in dangerous driving a good example of this thinking. Hard facts show that this is a complete bloody nonsense. Irish roads today are significantly safer than they were 20 or 30 years ago, when deaths and injuries and number of road accidents were much higher. Even though road speeds outside of urban areas have gone up in that time. And yet in the face of those hard facts you will have a chunk of mostly middle aged men convinced it's all going to hell in a handcart.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I don’t really have much time for silly limits or statute all set when cars weren’t even close to as capable as they are nowadays. I make my own decisions on how fast is suitable for a road and capability of the car I’m driving.
    Can someone tell me

Why don't the Gardai park across from all the rural pubs and subsequently pull all the aul and young lads driving home after 8 pints.

Gardai want to be liked by the community doing this sort of thing will very quickly turn everyone against them and they won’t get help when real crimes are happening. The local guards in my area never do drink driving checkpoints, they leave them to the traffic corps who do an occasional checkpoint outside the nearest town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I'll send it into traffic watch and make a statement in court . If they lose their licence and thus their job I'd be delighted. A fitting punishment.

But what if their job is all they have to support their family and they are of fragile mind. They might decide to come for you and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Re : sh*try driving.Afaik the traffic corps was more or less disbanded during the economic crash. And is only now being built up again.
    Also as the economy heats up there is an increase in traffic and a phycological effect of let's make hay and let's make more hay than the next fella....rushing & ****ty driving🙄.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..... I make my own decisions on how fast is suitable for a road and capability of the car I’m driving....
    Unfortunately there are thousands of people who made similar decisions but got it wrong. That's the reason society has developed rules and regulations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement