Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in dangerous driving

Options

Comments

They should be more severe and proportional to the excess speed.
    Crock Rock wrote: »
    Speeding is a breach of the road traffic act. It is a criminal offence.

I pass on the footage to AGS and the haulage firm and the let them decide. It'll take a few p45s for the message to sink in.

Thank you Crock Rock!

This city has become a sewer...we need a dark sentinel like yourself to wipe the scum from the streets...how can we repay you for bringing us under your shadowy aegis of protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

No, they're too strict as is.
    Clearly trolling.... why are people still biting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No one can give proper justification for me being overtaken when I'm already on the limit.

If I'm driving at the speed limit, you've no business overtaking me. And you are a menace on the roads.

I've downloaded footage today where I was driving on the button at 80 km/h on the M1 southbound just after the 80 km/h speed limit signs. A lorry from a well know haulage company overtook me (must've been flat out at it's 90 km/h limit). Fingers crossed a p45 will be produced. I'll be in touch with traffic watch.

The speed stamps on my dash cam mightn't be acceptable to the haulage company but the tachograph data is a calibrated device.

The guards are recruiting, you should join.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Boredom, for those of us that actually realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... on the stretch that's 80 km/h but which should be 100...
    It has to be 80 to allow trucks to access all lanes. If it were 100, the normal motorway rules would apply and as a consequence, truck drivers wouldn't be legally able to access the right hand lanes to the DPT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Whocare

No one can give proper justification for me being overtaken when I'm already on the limit.

If I'm driving at the speed limit, you've no business overtaking me. And you are a menace on the roads.

I've downloaded footage today where I was driving on the button at 80 km/h on the M1 southbound just after the 80 km/h speed limit signs. A lorry from a well know haulage company overtook me (must've been flat out at it's 90 km/h limit). Fingers crossed a p45 will be produced. I'll be in touch with traffic watch.

The speed stamps on my dash cam mightn't be acceptable to the haulage company but the tachograph data is a calibrated device.
    Don't worry haulage company won't care what you think massive shortage of truck driver . And every few months you start thread like this no one care .you must have a love one killed or seriously injured by a dangerous driver sorry for your problems. If you want to make a difference becomes a garda

• Registered Users Posts: 30 john343

Speeding is not the same as dangerous driving.. But I guess you know that and are just looking to start arguments. Enjoy... I'm not biting
    As someone said, speeding is not the same as dangerous driving, it may be illegal, but not necessarily dangerous.

A calm sunny day on the M8/M4 etc. with little traffic, then doing 130 in a 120 is probably not dangerous. On the same road, but its dark, windy, freezing, lashing rain, with heavy traffic, then doing 115 in a 120 zone is probably dangerous.

I know drivers that do the speed limit everywhere, even if the road conditions don't allow it - I'm terrified of getting in the car with them. Adjust your speed for the road conditions, if you want to do the speed limit on a motorway, keep left and let other people do what they want, it's not your job to enforce the law.

Eh what? In fact breaking the speed limit at excessive speeds is classed as Dangerous Driving e.g driving on a motorway at 190kph. Just ask any copper what they will do you for if caught...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I believe the cops are getting a delivery of speed guns that can clock your speed 1.2km away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I believe the cops are getting a delivery of speed guns that can clock your speed 1.2km away.

Wonderful news. My commute to work will be wonderful. No speeders .

Wonderful news. My commute to work will be wonderful. No speeders .

At least it will maybe give the old farts, busybodies, whingers and possibly might reduce the calls to Joe giving them something more important to think about seeing the problem is now sorted with these state of the art guns ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sounds like good news to me.

The speed limit of the junction joining the M1 southbound to the M50 southbound is 50 km/h.

Most people seem to break this. I'd love to see a hidden camera here. It would generate thousands of Euros per day and teach speeders a lesson.

We have a toxic speed culture in this country.

We have a toxic speed culture in this country.

Nah, it’s more of an obsession about speeding. I know of a lot more toxic issues in this country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nah, it’s more of an obsession about speeding. I know of a lot more toxic issues in this country.
    Never mind that the stats clearly show a huge decrease in deaths and injuries on our roads over the last 30 years, even though the number of drivers on our roads and traffic has massively increased in that time. But like the poor we'll always have the whingers, pedants, trolls, busybodies and oul farts with us.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Speeding is a breach of the road traffic act.

Didn't say otherwise, I said it was none of your business and then suggested that maybe you should spend more time paying attention to your own driving. As time spent on other concerns is time stolen from yourself.
    Probably, but even if it isn't, there are always other like minded narcissistic busy bodies that have the same attitude.

352 deaths by suicide last year, almost 2 and a half times the numbers killed on the road but little interest in prevention and help from the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

It has to be 80 to allow trucks to access all lanes. If it were 100, the normal motorway rules would apply and as a consequence, truck drivers wouldn't be legally able to access the right hand lanes to the DPT.

I was talking about a stretch of the former N11 in Co. Wexford, that was downgraded to R-road status last year. I wasn't talking about the M50.

kenmm wrote: »
    Didn't say otherwise, I said it was none of your business

It's a criminal offence which makes it society's business.

Would you "mind your own business" if a murder was happening?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Very hard for the government to make money off suicide. Speeding is an easy one though

It's easy not to give the state money if you obey the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

If it meant my safety was impacted, or the safety of those with me at the time, then yes I would probably not intervene.
    I also wouldn't be so obsessed to check out everyone I pass just to make sure they weren't about to murder someone.

Its quite a crude analogy really and detracts from the point I was trying to make, which is:

It seems that you are spending a disproportionate amount of time on the roads focusing on one issue concerning other people. Spend more time making sure your own usage of the roads is as safe and enjoyable as possible.

But you don't want to hear that, do you?

I’m curious about these speeders overtaking you. Are they coming up right up your arse? Do they overtake you on a white line or coming up to a bend? Did they cut you off nearly hitting you to get back in because of an oncoming car?

I’m on the road a lot and i have had a lot ofcars overtake me and most of them weren’t tailgating, gave lots of room, straight good visability, no white lines and no car in sight. Didn’t bother me.

I’m curious about these speeders overtaking you. Are they coming up right up your arse? Do they overtake you on a white line or coming up to a bend? Did they cut you off nearly hitting you to get back in because of an oncoming car?

I’m on the road a lot and i have had a lot ofcars overtake me and most of them weren’t tailgating, gave lots of room, straight good visability, no white lines and no car in sight. Didn’t bother me.

There's no justification to overtake a person already doing the speed limit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ditto for me, but then this suggests M that you're not driving like an irritating moron. If I were being flashed and honked at as a regular thing I'd not be looking beyond myself for the problem, because I would be the problem. Then again an awful lot of people are completely lacking in self awareness as far as them being pains in the arse is concerned.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

They should be more severe and proportional to the excess speed.

Emergency services can definitely justify it

Yeah, you kinda overcooked it there Ted. Running such a comparison exposes either the cross eyed idiocy of your position, or your bad wind up skills. Or both.

Then again I've known enough out there who would write the OP in deadly earnest. All 35 going on 75, muffin top, cardigans and bad hair, thrice a year lights out, climbing on the mousey missus who long dialled out after the second kid dropped, while mumbling in their cubicle grind at the inequity of it all and how it's all getting worse to anyone who'll listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

The biggest increase is the amount of drivers sailing through red lights up to 3 seconds after turning red.
    I had one clown open his door to me last week as I crossed on the green man, he had to jam on and he slid.
    Next thing he's shouting his head off, along with the car behind him who must have been planning the same light jump.
    I hope the clatter I gave him will teach him to behave himself a bit better 😂

Your passenger passes out , you are 80km from the nearest hospital you continue to drive at the 80kph speed limit? Emergency services have told you they are an hour away. What do you do?
    My analogy is as valid as any you have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Think the OP here is far more extreme in his views than myself.

Hadn’t seen his posts on this sort of thing before, until somebody pointed out he has a bit of a track record. All I was doing myself was pointing out a situation where I’ll stick to the limit even though higher speeds are possible and even safe (it was legal to do higher speeds until just a few months ago, and the limits weren’t reduced due to safety considerations), because there’s a high risk of being caught by a GATSO van if you go faster.

I don’t actually mind if others want to run that risk themselves. I just don’t want them tailgating me too closely and overtaking dangerously as they do so.

• Advertisement

Maybe not but the former would cause an accident more likely, so maybe worry about them more than an overtake. We might then reduce accidents better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement