Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Heard Andy Lee was coming on, didn’t even make it as far as Early.

I actually dont mind lee himself in small doses but it's the brown nosing that gets old quick - when he was world champion (fair play to him) he seemed to be on every week - it got old quick especially as he isn't the most exciting guy in the world.

The same kind of fawning over uncle jim...

A bit like US Murph constantly saying that's great knowledge to something my mother would know.. Ala I hear Michael Jordan was pretty good at basketball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We're Bayern! Let's go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 thebandit2020

I actually dont mind lee himself in small doses but it's the brown nosing that gets old quick - when he was world champion (fair play to him) he seemed to be on every week - it got old quick especially as he isn't the most exciting guy in the world.

The same kind of fawning over uncle jim...

A bit like US Murph constantly saying that's great knowledge to something my mother would know.. Ala I hear Michael Jordan was pretty good at basketball

Normally I’m not mad about him either, but his interview yesterday about the Tyson Fury fight was very insightful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ken the veterinarian expert was a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭jones

Ken in flying form these days i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was waiting for Kens impression of Pep saying "guys"
    Wasn't disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The old Delaney/Marcotti double whammy today! What a crowd pleaser!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ugggghhhh, Marcotti, uggh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Is there any contributor to the show that people haven't been giving out about on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Is there any contributor to the show that people haven't been giving out about on this thread.

Tim Vickery

• Advertisement

Nokotan wrote: »
    Tim Vickery

Jonathon Wilson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Still Ill wrote: »
    The old Delaney/Marcotti double whammy today! What a crowd pleaser!

Can't be havin that.

Mark Tighe.
    David Snyed.

I think most of their contributors are pretty good. Delaney doesn't even bother me. I could not care less about what he says or doesn't say on twitter.

Marcotti though. C'mon...

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Ken describing Zidane's footwear as 'Larry David' style was a fantastic little comment!

Still Ill wrote: »
    Jonathon Wilson

Wilson is great - him and ken kinda slag each other off and it's always taken by the other as a joke.

I did laugh the time marcotti made ken knock on his apartment door 3 times before opening..

Arghus wrote: »
    Marcotti though. C'mon...

I like Marcotti but completely understand why some people can't stand him. He often makes really good points and but delivers them in such a forceful and irritating way. I've just found that I've been on his side too often to think he doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Johnathan Liew.

Sid Lowe as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Rory Smith is excellent and that fella that covers City is also great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Also, the synopsis of Mbappe in The Players Tribune alone was worth my sub this month

Enjoyed Marcotti tearing Souness a new one all the same.

So he's gone up a little in my estimation.

Sounesss is an arch spoofer. Quite clearly bitter as well about the riches enjoyed by today's footballers.

• Advertisement

Whoever they have on, just be thankful it’s never Graham Hunter. What an absolute cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

9/10 of the guests on are great, we just don't mention it everytime. A few annoying guests which most agree upon as being twats

Whoever they have on, just be thankful it’s never Graham Hunter. What an absolute cretin.

Absolutely loves himself.

Also, everyone he does The Big Interview (which can be good) with seems to be the reason he got in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Marcotti is good IMO. Especially when he is asked about Italian football. He actually watches the league and knows about it and he was 100% right when talking about Ronaldo and Italy. But I agree with the earlier post in that I can understand why people maybe don't like his delivery of his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rufuseric82

Heard Andy Lee was coming on, didn’t even make it as far as Early.

I think Lee is superb. He clearly knows what he’s talking about and his enthusiasm for boxing is infectious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Really enjoyed Caitlin Thompson today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken fears Marcotti

I think Lee is superb. He clearly knows what he’s talking about and his enthusiasm for boxing is infectious.

Nothing against Lee really. The hero worship goes over the top sometimes but it’s really that I have no interest at all in boxing.

Andy Lee is always a great guest - and I don't really care that much about boxing.

I don't get the supposed "hero worshipping" - it just sounds like a bunch of people having a chat?

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Andy Lee is always a great guest - and I don't really care that much about boxing.

I don't get the supposed "hero worshipping" - it just sounds like a bunch of people having a chat?

I don’t get how you could listen to someone talking about boxing if you’ve no interest in boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

Ken describing Zidane's footwear as 'Larry David' style was a fantastic little comment!

also....on Pep, after City conceded, "these trousers are too tighhhtt, sleeves too shortttt...."

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I don’t get how you could listen to someone talking about boxing if you’ve no interest in boxing.

The beauty of this pod is that the right guest and skilful interviewing can make an interview about a sport you have no interest in quite engaging. I think the lads have earned our trust so you give them the benefit of the doubt and more often than not, that’s rewarded

I don’t think I ever bother often after reading the description, I’m averaging around 3 or 4 a month now and skipping the rest.

He has a way of making it sound interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

yermandan wrote: »
    Rory Smith is excellent and that fella that covers City is also great

Yep, Sam Lee is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Caitlín Thompson (Racquet Magazine) is always good fun when on and I've zero interest in women's tennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah Caitlin Thompson is always a good listen when she's on SC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had to stop listening to this pod because Ken Early's voice just wrecks my head. The way he says the word "club" is really irritating. Listen out for it, he says it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yeah Caitlin Thompson is always a good listen when she's on SC

I have actually enjoyed her previously but she really annoyed me the other day with her position on PEDs. I'm definitely of the same viewpoint as Soon in that debate.

I have actually enjoyed her previously but she really annoyed me the other day with her position on PEDs. I'm definitely of the same viewpoint as Soon in that debate.

Yeah, completely ridiculous opinion. While of course it's true that PEDs don't improve various aspects of a tennis player's game, if you take the two best players in the world and one of them is doping, that gives them a huge advantage.
    Her point is only valid if you're talking about a much lower level player doping and competing against the world's best. And even still, that player will gain an unfair advantage against their peers.

• Advertisement

Ken's praise for john Giles on thursday - absolutely dripping in sarcasm 🀣🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I had to stop listening to this pod because Ken Early's voice just wrecks my head. The way he says the word "club" is really irritating. Listen out for it, he says it a lot.

Overuses the word “like” also.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Tennis, I'm saying goodbye 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭al87987

That Timo Werner song is a banger.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭CiaranW

al87987 wrote: »
    That Timo Werner song is a banger.

I can't find it on Spotify!
    Anyone have any luck?

Nicely synced "Whaaaa?" yesterday between Ken and Murph during the Troy Deeney story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

CiaranW wrote: »
    I can't find it on Spotify!
    Anyone have any luck?

Jim Root wrote: »
    Overuses the word “like” also.

Ken Pros:
    He writes fluently.
    He thinks cogently.
    He occasionally makes points that massively change the way I view sport and the world.
    He can be hilarious.

Ken Cons:
    He is not a gifted orator and often doesn't finish his sentences when it seems like he is making a point (uses crutch words e.g. "like", "you know" as a substitute for finishing the sentence)
    Poor at debating probably as a result of the above.
    His political thoughts seem incredibly shallow, half baked and "safe". I somehow find myself almost on polar opposite to Ken on politics. I might beat the first poster by saying I wouldn't necessarily agree with anything Ken says on politics.
    In my opinion I enjoy listening to him but for such a seemingly intelligent guy he has some flaws to his game.

Jesus wept

lawred2 wrote: »
    Jesus wept

Good lad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement