Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Nick Hornby - High Fidelity.

David Copperfield by some Dickens chap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Watsons by Rose Servitova

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Modern Gods by Nick Laird

The Outrun by Amy Liptrot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Outrun by Amy Liptrot

I abandoned that one when I started it a while back.

An alcoholic in the Orkney islands full of wildlife descriptions.....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Flowers for Algernon by David Keyes. An emotional roller-coaster, & extremely thought provoking. Charlie is such a loveable character I didn't want the book to end. Highly recommend it.

The Secret Commonwealth, Phillip Pullman.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

When the time comes by Adele O'Neill. I've only just started it but I like how it's written so far.

Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb

Really enjoying it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Flowers for Algernon by David Keyes. An emotional roller-coaster, & extremely thought provoking. Charlie is such a loveable character I didn't want the book to end. Highly recommend it.

Only read that for the first time late last year. It's really, really good. It had been a long time on my to read list and didn't disappoint.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb

Really enjoying it!

The film is marvelous. I never actually knew it was based on a book. Be interested to hear your final verdict.

quickbeam wrote: »
    The film is marvelous. I never actually knew it was based on a book. Be interested to hear your final verdict.

I have reviewed it in my reading log here on Boards but the quick answer is that it is a great book and very much recommended. Probably even more so if you liked the movie too which I must watch again now!

Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

The Bridge by Iain Banks.

Really good read, would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭divide_by_zero

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula le Guin

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

Where the crawdads sing - fantastic book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished book 5 of Frank Herbert's sci fi Dune Series. Heretics of Dune was good I liked it. With one book left in the series I felt the first 3 books were all good. The fourth was more average as I felt it did not really go anywhere after a good start but this one I felt was another good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

World Gone By -Denis Lehane
    First book of his I have read, very good.

• Advertisement

4Ad wrote: »
    World Gone By -Denis Lehane
    First book of his I have read, very good.

Good book, but actually the third in a sequence. The first two are even better in my opinion, particularly the second (Live by Night)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 denpat1

Churchill by Andrew Roberts

The Old Ways by Andrew McFarlane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

The neighbour fiona Cummins. Finding it good so far

Miss Emily by Nuala O'Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Going to try and finish Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk. Picked it up 5-6 years ago and found it difficult to read due to the broken English and Redacted words/sentences. While I understand the aim this was meant to invoke, it didn't make for an easy read, even for such a small book.

I really enjoyed Pygmy. I have read it a few times. The style takes a bit of getting used to though alright. But I love all of Chuck Palahniuk's books anyway!!

Going to try and finish Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk. Picked it up 5-6 years ago and found it difficult to read due to the broken English and Redacted words/sentences. While I understand the aim this was meant to invoke, it didn't make for an easy read, even for such a small book.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as Palahniuk was concerned for me. Was steadily enjoying his books less and less and this one sealed the deal.
    He strikes me as one of those guys who is chock-a-block full of ideas but just can't actually write very well....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Started, and finished, Vox over the last week. Real Handmaid's Tale vibe to it.

Just started Chasing the Flame by Samantha Power.

Finished The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. A very enjoyable crime thriller.

• Advertisement

Circe by Madeline Miller

The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes by Anna McPartlin

Despite a very upsetting topic this is a great book. While the subject of cancer is not one that I would choose for reading material generally I picked this book up based on good reviews and it certainly didn't disappoint.

The Hayes characters are developed so well that you feel like you are part of the family. The story takes you through the lives of 'ma' & 'da' and the three siblings Grace, Davey, and Mia (Rabbit) and her daughter Juliet, plus all the friends they made along the way. It swings from present to past which usually annoys me but it works in this story. Heartbreaking, beautiful and funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finished Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari after dipping into it now and then over several months. I preferred to take my time with it as there are a wide range of ideas to take on board. I enjoyed it overall. There was a nice blend of history, philiosophy, and even some sci-fi near the end. Would recommend it if that's your thing.

I've got the follow-up Homo Deus that I've just begun, but like the first one I'll be reading it in small doses.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Della Owens is an amazing book, beautifully written, fantastic imagery of the marsh where Kya lives and very well developed characters. Got totally immersed in the whole story and didn't want it to finish.

On to The Dutch House now, hope it's as good.

Us Against You by Fredrik Backman

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane

About half way through and really enjoying it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Nostalgia by Jonathan Buckley. Love it so far.

Finished Solar Bones. Loved it. Stream of consciousness but very readable, very Irish but not twee.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Sleeper Lies by Andrea Mara, so far so good. It's really creepy in parts, I'm looking forward to reading more. Her previous two books were also very good (One Click and The Other Side of the Fence) but I think this one might be her best yet. Will have to see :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

The lady in the lake by Raymond Chandler

Broads, dames, Shéamus's and a far from straight forward plot. I'm a big fan of old noir movies, but can't imagine the movie can top the book here which I found to be thoroughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

52 Times Britain was a Bellend by James Felton. Very funny and interesting so far.

• Advertisement

History of the Rain by Niall Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

The Talk Of The Town by Ardal O'Hanlon. It's good so far but I find myself reading it in Fr. Dougal's voice.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri

Drive your plough over the bones of the dead, Olga Tokarczuk. My first of her books. About 50 pages in and it's great stuff

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm reading Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleaves.
    Took a couple of chapters to get going but I'm about half way through now and really liking it

Xofpod wrote: »
    Drive your plough over the bones of the dead, Olga Tokarczuk. My first of her books. About 50 pages in and it's great stuff

Isn't it just a fabulous book. Your post reminded me to follow up Flights. :)

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri

I just finished that and loved it. Enjoy

Finished book 6 Chapterhouse Dune the final book of Frank Herbert's Dune series. Enjoyed the series overall but the ending was a bit flat I must admit. The first 3 books were good. 4 was average 5 picked things up again and book 6 was a bit average due mainly to the ending.

Amonst finished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

• Advertisement
Advertisement