Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think that I am about to be fired...

Options
  • 29-02-2020 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

My company has a fb page where employees can post about things related to their job, ask questions, vent etc. The page is such that no-one from management or teamleaders are allowed on the page, it's purely for frontline people.

A comment I made on that page was passed on to my TM about a week later. He rang me yesterday morning and asked me to delete it and said we'd be having a conversation about it. I'm socially awkward with an equally awkward and sometimes off sense of humor and sometimes cause offense where none was meant because I read the situation entirely wrong, which is what happend here. For the record; I said nothing bad about the company, or it's staff or it's customers. I can't go into much more detail than that.

I'm pretty sure that I'm about to be fired. Hindsight being 20/20 I understand that what I did wasn't the smartest thing and it kills me that all I can do is wait until Monday and walk out of there with as much dignity as I can muster. I feel like a right idiot :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It depends how long you've been there and the company policy on such things. It just sounds like a, probably robust, conversation about what you can and can't do with maybe a warning. Given what you've said about yourself, maybe write down what you want to say, more or less as you've said here. I'd include the apology element as well to acknowledge your mistake. The lesson, one way or the other, is not to believe what people tell you about public fora, it gets back. You should also avoid sharing your sense of humour with people who don't know you if it is so left-field.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nobody can say much without knowing more detail of what the comment was. Was it racist? Sexist? Misogynist? What the comment was obviously influences what is going to happen next.

I will say one thing though, it would be a cold day in hell before you ever see me posting socially on a company facebook page, whatsapp group, messenger group, etc etc. If you take anything from this experience it should be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

"socially awkward with an equally awkward and sometimes off sense of humor"
    So ya say. Sounds like you were being an ass and chose a page connected to your employer to do it.

Step 1, delete the comment.
    Step 2, if it really was a sackable offence it's probably best to deny you wrote it if you want to keep your job. That might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    The page is such that no-one from management or teamleaders are allowed on the page, it's purely for frontline people.

I cannot believe that anyone is so unaware of reality that they think the above is true?

Posting anything, anywhere from an account that is linked in anyway to your professional/work identity and treating it as anything other than "public" is frankly, stupidity of the highest order.

I'd hope that you have learned a lesson from this OP, and I am sorry if I come across as too harsh.
    It may well be that your place of employment has a policy on Social Media and its use.

It may also be given that you have defamed a TL on a public forum that at the very least retraction and formal apology is requested.
    Dependent on company policy and level of hurt and reputational damage perceived by the TL they may take further civil action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Don't put anything in writing you wouldn't be ok with your mam, boss or partner seeing.

Expensive lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

antix80 wrote: »
    "socially awkward with an equally awkward and sometimes off sense of humor"
    So ya say. Sounds like you were being an ass and chose a page connected to your employer to do it.

Step 1, delete the comment.
    Step 2, if it really was a sackable offence it's probably best to deny you wrote it if you want to keep your job. That might work.

No, I was not being an ass, that's quite a leap here. The comment has already been deleted as per my TM's request. He already knows it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Can this FB page be seen by people outside the company? If so, it sounds like a really bad idea.
    It sounds like you did a fair bit of venting and is that not one of the purpose of the page?
    Are there very clear guidelines on what you can and can not post on the page?

Dont spend the next two days ruminating on this, not good for your mental health.
    Find something / anything else to occupy your mind over the weekend and I'm sure it will be a much smaller issue by Monday.

No, I was not being an ass, that's quite a leap here. The comment has already been deleted as per my TM's request. He already knows it was me.

Why are you being vague now? What was the comment? Do you want advice, Or are you just looking to vent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Who the hell would vent on a Facebook page for their company?

If I heard my company set up something like that I'd be seriously questioning whether I'd trust working at that company, sounds like a perfect way to monitor their employees social media.

Delete the comment, face it head on with your team lead and mention under no circumstances it'll happen again, and don't post there going forward.

banie01 wrote: »
    I cannot believe that anyone is so unaware of reality that they think the above is true?

It may also be given that you have defamed a TL on a public forum that at the

I have said nothing about my Team leader, the post wasn't about him in any way or shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Unless you allude to what you said it's unlikely anyone can give an opinion one way or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don’t start telling lies on top of a really bad situation you created, that would be a really silly thing to do, you don’t need to wind management up further.

Hands up and apologise profusely is the best recourse, explain it was a huge mistake and your terribly embarrassed by the whole thing.

Not knowing what was said and your disciplinary history this should be written warning stuff rather than termination. Even if it’s put forward as bullying it should be discipline rather than termination. Now, you may be earmarked to be managed out going forward where this will be the first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Sounds like a place I used to work, managers had fake Facebook profiles in a group like that to catch people out, and the place is full of rats

Isn't a call centre for a betting company now based in clonskeagh is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Is this on Facebook or Workplace? Two totally different things. The latter should only be accessible to employees of the company.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Unless you allude to what you said it's unlikely anyone can give an opinion one way or the other

Some nosey people here.
    Op is clearly concerned but hasn't asked for advice on how to handle the comment. No need for the Op to post the comment here too.

There's plenty of advice been given already without understanding the comment.

Is this on Facebook or Workplace? Two totally different things. The latter should only be accessible to employees of the company.

Whether it should only be accessible to employees of the company or not, it can always be shared with a screenshot.

I have a fb profile and are friends with employees at different levels, I'm conscious not to post something that can be construed as offensive. Necessary evil nowadays, my fb profile is only really used to manage a page and keep in touch with friends abroad.

Op shouldn't have posted it, Op now knows that, harsh lesson learned.

Now how to prevent further escalation and a possible job loss should be focused on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I’m assuming you made a comment about fellow workers or management .... if so and someone reported it then they might label it as bullying ....
    Op whatever happens, mark it off as a lesson...don’t put anything about anyone on social media...does nothing for anyone and can only serve to cause you trouble. I’ve no Facebook twitter or any of that ****e as people only looking to be offended these days so why create hassle for yourself ... anyways hopefully just a warning for ya

It wasn't a comment about management or a teamleader. I said that I was going into my nightshift feeling unwell and that chocolate, crisps and all illegal substances would be appreciated. Hindsight 20/20 it was more than naive to post that but at the time, that being my sense of humor and not realizing that not everyone would get that, genuinely saw no harm and figured the joke was clear to everyone. A blood test would quickly point out that no illegal substances of any kind were taken at any point.

It wasn't a comment about management or a teamleader. I said that I was going into my nightshift feeling unwell and that chocolate, crisps and all illegal substances would be appreciated. Hindsight 20/20 it was more than naive to post that but at the time, that being my sense of humor and not realizing that not everyone would get that, genuinely saw no harm and figured the joke was clear to everyone. A blood test would quickly point out that no illegal substances of any kind were taken at any point.

If that's all it was, and you deleted as asked, I'd say that's the end of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Peatys wrote: »
    If that's all it was, and you deleted as asked, I'd say that's the end of it

I’d agree, very little in that really.

@OP have you read your company’s policy on social media etc?

• Advertisement

I’d agree, very little in that really.

@OP have you read your company’s policy on social media etc?

Obviously should have but no, I didn't. I'll make sure to now. I do still have that niggling feeling that this is far from over. I've seen people being fired over eating a grape while on the phone with a customer...

Obviously should have but no, I didn't. I'll make sure to now. I do still have that niggling feeling that this is far from over. I've seen people being fired over eating a grape while on the phone with a customer...

No, you're grand. Don't worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Well they shouldnt be eating while on the phone to customers, that's common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

If you're fired for that comment then the company isn't worth working for imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm fairly sure that entrapment is illegal OP, they dont own facebook so have no control over its TOS and can't use it to police staff outside of working hours.

Tell them to politely fúçk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ah here that's obviously a bad attempt at a joke.

Deleted as asked.
    Maybe a swift "don't do it again, you realise everything online is public" and life goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Op, it was a stupid comment to put up and I can understand why they told you to take it down.

It's nothing worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭mcgragger

My company has a fb page where employees can post about things related to their job, ask questions, vent etc. The page is such that no-one from management or teamleaders are allowed on the page, it's purely for frontline people.

A comment I made on that page was passed on to my TM about a week later. He rang me yesterday morning and asked me to delete it and said we'd be having a conversation about it. I'm socially awkward with an equally awkward and sometimes off sense of humor and sometimes cause offense where none was meant because I read the situation entirely wrong, which is what happend here. For the record; I said nothing bad about the company, or it's staff or it's customers. I can't go into much more detail than that.

I'm pretty sure that I'm about to be fired. Hindsight being 20/20 I understand that what I did wasn't the smartest thing and it kills me that all I can do is wait until Monday and walk out of there with as much dignity as I can muster. I feel like a right idiot :(

Admit nothing. Ask for an independant person to be in the conversation.
    You have rights and fair process must be followed so the company must prove beyond doubt that what you said constitutes gross misconduct.

I'd ring the Workplace relations commission before the conversation if you can for advice.

Unless your comment can be construed as dangerous to your companies business you dont deserve to be fired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I would also make it clear you comment was simple about how ill you felt and not about work itself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

You say this is a company site OP. Is it official? Are there published guidelines as regards how it is to be used? Were you made aware of these guidelines by the company? Can you be sure what you posted is in contradiction to these guidelines?

All of the above is relevant of the company wants to fire you and you have to be afforded due process. I'd suggest a mitigating factor being you immediately deleted it as requested. If any answers to the above paragraph is a "no" too then that's also mitigating.

In all honesty and aside from all the above official stuff, I'd say you'll be getting a "think before you post" chat with your manager and that'll be the end of it.

Advertisement