Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think that I am about to be fired...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

SeaFields wrote: »
    You say this is a company site OP. Is it official? Are there published guidelines as regards how it is to be used? Were you made aware of these guidelines by the company? Can you be sure what you posted is in contradiction to these guidelines?

All of the above is relevant of the company wants to fire you and you have to be afforded due process. I'd suggest a mitigating factor being you immediately deleted it as requested. If any answers to the above paragraph is a "no" too then that's also mitigating.

In all honesty and aside from all the above official stuff, I'd say you'll be getting a "think before you post" chat with your manager and that'll be the end of it.

No it's not an official site. It's a fb page to discuss work related things, ask for advice, general chit chat, etc. It's a for frontline staff only place, before admission you have to give your name, staff number and work mobile nr. so they can verify who you are, it's not at all visible for public. There are no guidelines other than " keep it civil". Nothing uncivil was said in my comment, it was just stupid in hindsight and a bad attempt at a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

rizzodun wrote: »
    Some nosey people here.
    Op is clearly concerned but hasn't asked for advice on how to handle the comment. No need for the Op to post the comment here too.

There's plenty of advice been given already without understanding the comment.

Useless advice without the context

No way of opining on whether it's a sackable offence without it

And in my opinion on the basis of what she wrote he should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Step 1: Delete Facebook account
    Step 2: Tell manager you never had a Facebook account
    Step 3: Make a complaint to manager that someone is posting to a work-based page using your details
    Step 4: Profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Step 1: Delete Facebook account
    Step 2: Tell manager you never had a Facebook account
    Step 3: Make a complaint to manager that someone is posting to a work-based page using your details
    Step 4: Profit

Or just go with step1. Good advice for all

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    It wasn't a comment about management or a teamleader. I said that I was going into my nightshift feeling unwell and that chocolate, crisps and all illegal substances would be appreciated. Hindsight 20/20 it was more than naive to post that but at the time, that being my sense of humor and not realizing that not everyone would get that, genuinely saw no harm and figured the joke was clear to everyone. A blood test would quickly point out that no illegal substances of any kind were taken at any point.

If that was the comment you should have nothing to worry about.
    And consider how other employees would feel about using the page or whether previous comments by others could be used against them.
    Firing someone for something so innocuous wouldn't happen. They would be leaving themselves wide open.
    Team Leader probably just on his own little power trip and wants to flex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

If you believe management don't have access to that or at the very least have someone in there reporting back you are delusional.

That said your comment was harmless. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,638 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mcgragger wrote: »
    Admit nothing. Ask for an independant person to be in the conversation.
    You have rights and fair process must be followed so the company must prove beyond doubt that what you said constitutes gross misconduct.

I'd ring the Workplace relations commission before the conversation if you can for advice.

Unless your comment can be construed as dangerous to your companies business you dont deserve to be fired
    They also have to prove that you made the comment. A comment posted from an FB account in your name is not necessarily proof that you posted it. I don't think an employer can rely on the group entry validation procedures around an unofficial group like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

It wasn't a comment about management or a teamleader. I said that I was going into my nightshift feeling unwell and that chocolate, crisps and all illegal substances would be appreciated. Hindsight 20/20 it was more than naive to post that but at the time, that being my sense of humor and not realizing that not everyone would get that, genuinely saw no harm and figured the joke was clear to everyone. A blood test would quickly point out that no illegal substances of any kind were taken at any point.[/quote

Ahh nothing to worry about there... harmless joke, I’ve made jokes 5 times worse than that before ... all they can do is ask ya to refrain from saying those things in public again . If they used that to fire ya,. I’m sure there’s plenty of solicitors that would delightfully fight that case for ya ...they have no grounds to fire ya on that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

They also have to prove that you made the comment. A comment posted from an FB account in your name is not necessarily proof that you posted it. I don't think an employer can rely on the group entry validation procedures around an unofficial group like this.

I wouldn't be getting into that.

That's just asking for a bigger shovel and looks like OP is a weasel. It would just look like not taking responsibility.

Op already deleted it, so they know it was them in control of the FB account.

It was just a silly comment, as someone else said, if a Company sacks you for that, you are best off out of it.

anewme wrote: »
    I wouldn't be getting into that.

That's just asking for a bigger shovel and looks like OP is a weasel. It would just look like not taking responsibility.

Op already deleted it, so they know it was them in control of the FB account.

It was just a silly comment, as someone else said, if a Company sacks you for that, you are best off out of it.
    If it was the difference between taking them for a €20k settlement or not, I'd happily play that card. It might not do much for an ongoing employee relationship, but that may or may not be important.

It sounds like a power play by the bosses, to send out a clear message that they know what goes on in the FB group.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

This is such an anticlimax, a total let down I had visions of you doing something really bad ! I make about 20sackable comments a day but I work Dam hard so it’s overlooked, op nothing to worry about unless you suck at work, if you do they might use it to get rid of you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,943 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Heckler wrote: »
    If you believe management don't have access to that or at the very least have someone in there reporting back you are delusional.

That said your comment was harmless. I wouldn't worry about it.

This, there is always one rat in these groups who without hesitation would be willing to share anything of ‘value’ to management with them, to increase their own standing in management spheres.

Social media is just that, WhatsApp a ‘social networking ’ platform for your friends and family, not your job. I was added to a work WhatsApp which I subsequently left a week later... the phone just kept lighting up... “lads, anyone seen xyz file ?” “ lads who can work Saturday for me ?” “When you come in tomorrow can you take the car for a wash, cheers?” Fûck that, it was a 20 hour operation and even on mute I just fûcking seeing the thing light up....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

You were very foolish to trust that a FB group like that is somehow‘confidential’. But you know better now.

But after you clarified what you said, my take is that you say it was a stupid ill thought out comment, and they rap you on the knuckles and tell you not to post comments like that on social media again. I would be very surprised if you were fired.

Harsh lesson learnt tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Was he fired??

• Registered Users Posts: 35,825 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Was he fired??

She's a she. And a fashion model, one flash of her smile coupled with a wink of her eye and the Team Leader would be putty in her hands...
    so I'm sure she didn't get fired.

Looks like OP has learned their lesson... and burned their laptop.

Can't imagine anyone with a year's service being fired for that. Only muppets would post on such a forum (OP excepted :D )

Remember folks, ‘social’ media and ‘social’ apps are for your social life, family and friends. Don’t give your employer or colleagues an ‘IN’ to this world, in any regard, ever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Strumms wrote: »
    Remember folks, ‘social’ media and ‘social’ apps are for your social life, family and friends. Don’t give your employer or colleagues an ‘IN’ to this world, in any regard, ever.

Nonsense, if you post rubbish on your employer or someone else on the net, you have to assume that it will end up in the wrong hands at some stage and of course that it will never be forgotten. There is no such thing as a secure account or a private chat, at a very minimum sys ops see everything.

Back in the day, we were having a problem with the mail server crashing, so IBM was brought in (yes, those days) and they set up all kinds of dumping mechanisms to trap it. Well then next time it happened the offending mail thread was dumped at 5 locations within the company and at least 3 IBM locations. The mail thread document an office affair....

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Admit nothing. Ask for an independant person to be in the conversation.

No entitlement to this for a manager to employee conversation. As others have said this was more than likely just an initial conversation to outline issue, reset expectations, and move on. Nothing to be confrontational about.
    You have rights and fair process must be followed so the company must prove beyond doubt that what you said constitutes gross misconduct.

You are correct that rights and process apply but to any potential disciplinary process, which judging from the OP initial post this meeting is/was not, as this would be made abundantly clear at the time
    I'd ring the Workplace relations commission before the conversation if you can for advice.

Please dont give this advice. There has been no disciplinary process initiated, no sanctioned provided, that in itself can be appealed, so the WRC will politely tell OP to go through with meeting and be honest and open. Citizens Information might be a better option should the individual wish.
    Unless your comment can be construed as dangerous to your companies business you dont deserve to be fired

There are alot of reasons that an individual can be let go for making comments and not all of them must be putting the companies business in danger.

Overall I agree that this will/has amount to nothing more than a conversation with manager about the comment and nothing further. I just dont understand the approach of pushing back on any sort of process/conversation and asserting your 'rights' when the OP himself admitted he made an inappropriate comment which does not display him in the best light on a company controlled communications tool. Just go into meeting, hear the business out and learn from the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So are you sacked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

No, fortunately not, but I did had quite some explaining and apologizing to do. Needless to say I learned my lesson and will not be something stupid like this ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

No, fortunately not, but I did had quite some explaining and apologizing to do. Needless to say I learned my lesson and will not be something stupid like this ever again.

Relieved to hear that but not half as relieved as you were I'd say. Don't beat yourself up too much, it was a bit silly alright but sounds like the company were being hyper cautious/sensitive. You'll look back at it and laugh in a few years, as we all do when we revisit our sillier actions.

Good result and hopefully everything works out for you. I'm sure you now know just don't put anything up on social media.... I hate it myself... I'm actually quite worried how we as an island are going as people are offended by the wind and the colour of the sun.....

I'm having it so much worse these days with people in work, I've had a complaint from a gay couple who wrote in to state I spoke to them in such a manner they were offended.

I never asked their sexual status or anything of the sort but they commented " do I ask all the straight people the same question"....

This is nuts and I was only following my job description.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Nonsense, if you post rubbish on your employer or someone else on the net, you have to assume that it will end up in the wrong hands at some stage and of course that it will never be forgotten. There is no such thing as a secure account or a private chat, at a very minimum sys ops see everything.

Back in the day, we were having a problem with the mail server crashing, so IBM was brought in (yes, those days) and they set up all kinds of dumping mechanisms to trap it. Well then next time it happened the offending mail thread was dumped at 5 locations within the company and at least 3 IBM locations. The mail thread document an office affair....

Its not nonsense, far from it, have a word with yourself and try and achieve an understanding about what is being discussed . I don’t advocate posting ANYTHING ever about work, colleagues or a boss. I’ve never done it, I keep social media, social, as relates to my social and personal life, work don’t get an ‘in’ in fact they don’t get the time of day and I’d recommend others take note, otherwise a sick call on a Monday is followed by a meeting on your return with screenshots of Facebook or Instagram of you living it up on Saturday and questions about how your social life and lifestyle choices are negatively impacting your health in contravention to the contract you signed, might be of course you had 3 pints and in bed by 12 but the truth doesn’t play into their narrative and wanting ‘control’.

Still they ‘shouldn’t’ be trying to access groups or pages that employees use for any reason, whatever about the legality it’s not ethical.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Thank fuck you didn't rush off and post about it on another social media site then!..................

Good result and hopefully everything works out for you. I'm sure you now know just don't put anything up on social media.... I hate it myself... I'm actually quite worried how we as an island are going as people are offended by the wind and the colour of the sun.....

I'm having it so much worse these days with people in work, I've had a complaint from a gay couple who wrote in to state I spoke to them in such a manner they were offended.

I never asked their sexual status or anything of the sort but they commented " do I ask all the straight people the same question"....

This is nuts and I was only following my job description.

What did you ask them?

What did you ask them?

Not falling for that renko....

Not falling for that renko....

I'm missing the trap :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Anything you post online should be something you wouldn't mind printing and pinning to the village noticeboard

Same goes for "personal social media"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

That the modern Ireland has progressed so far that it has overturned the old shibboleth and replaced it with a whole set of new ones. That is why work is a place to keep the head down, do the work, and save one's opinion for out of hours because HR will crack down on dissenting thought.

Advertisement