Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crossbows law in ireland

• 21-10-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Hi wondering can someone help me out im wondering about cross bows in ireland are they aloud here and if so can you ship them into ireland if buy of an online website or can i get them here?

Any help would great thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

They are classed as a "restricted firearm" and must be licenced by applying to your local Chief Superintendent.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Seller159

really but how come compound bows and other bows are ok? if i was to order a cross bow would it come into the country do you think?

Seller159 wrote: »
    really but how come compound bows and other bows are ok? if i was to order a cross bow would it come into the country do you think?

They were apparently included in the legislation without any thought behind it and because no one questioned it they are now restricted. There is a srction on the gun licence application which you can tic if you want to apply for one.

Yeah sure it might come through but then again you could get caught with an unlicenced firearm and find yourself in a world of **** just like if you were caught with a sawn off shotgun or an uzi..... Really worth the hassle when there is a legal way to go about it?? What do ya want it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

You can carry a crossbow loaded, unlike a normal bow. That's the difference. ;)

Lardy wrote: »

I dont think thats the reason. You can draw a bow just as quick as raise a crossbow.... Like i said, no body was interested in crossbows when the legislation was being written so they were just included because there was no discussion surrounding them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

really are ya going to use one i looked into getting one seen all the hassle with getting one no archery club will let you loose with a crossbow so i just went for the bow and joined a club

<moderator snip>
    And that would be illegal under the firearms act which you yourself seem to know then you go on to tell him how to get around it and break the law?? Good man, seriously well done.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Your right sorry have changed it

aaakev wrote: »
    They were apparently included in the legislation without any thought behind it and because no one questioned it they are now restricted. There is a srction on the gun licence application which you can tic if you want to apply for one.

Yeah sure it might come through but then again you could get caught with an unlicenced firearm and find yourself in a world of **** just like if you were caught with a sawn off shotgun or an uzi..... Really worth the hassle when there is a legal way to go about it?? What do ya want it for?

Oh right well thats pretty crap isnt it? Lol. I want it just for target shooting and stuff like that in my back garden i seen a website out side Ireland that sells them(not america) and they said they would and can ship them here to me so just thought id ask around about it 1st to get some advise on them and if it would get through to me or what would happen?

Iv order full metal gas powerd airsoft shotguns an stuff from other countrys and they came through fine. I no where aloud airsoft here but its just strange that it would come through so easy you know?

Lardy wrote: »

You cam carry a bow half loaded:) and it be just as fast to shoot a bow than a cross bow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

i seen a website out side Ireland that sells them(not america) and they said they would and can ship them here to me so just thought id ask around about it 1st to get some advise on them and if it would get through to me or what would happen?

I had Customs spot and seize a stock off a rifle and demand a copy of my licence. A piece of wood couldn't even get through unnoticed.

If Customs seize it, you are fcuked or at least you will be when you're doing time for it. Really not worth it..there's no sympathy from the guards when you're caught with an unlicenced firearm..especially a restricted one which a crossbow is. Mandatory 5 years inside is the sentence upon conviction.

Blay wrote: »
    I had Customs spot and seize a stock off a rifle and demand a copy of my licence. A piece of wood couldn't even get through unnoticed.

If Customs seize it, you are fcuked or at least you will be when you're doing time for it. Really not worth it..there's no sympathy from the guards when you're caught with an unlicenced firearm..especially a restricted one which a crossbow is. Mandatory 5 years inside is the sentence upon conviction.

Yeah i guess ur right it wouldnt be worth doing incase was caught ill just stil to yhe bows then:) thanks alot for the help man

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marinabannon

i was told it's because crossbow have triggers that why u need license .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

You cam carry a bow half loaded:) and it be just as fast to shoot a bow than a cross bow?

But it can not go off accidently by catching the trigger. Perhaps that is the difference?

Midnight64 wrote: »
    But it can not go off accidently by catching the trigger. Perhaps that is the difference?

Thats not it at all. Nobody was concerned with them so they were just left out

i asked this question at the local gun club, guarda there told me it simple the fact it has trigger .............

i asked this question at the local gun club, guarda there told me it simple the fact it has trigger .............

I would take what ever a garda says about the firearms act with a pretty big pinch of salt.... He had no idea and simply made that up instead of telling you he didnt know.

ok leave this one with u cheers............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭renas

Oh right well thats pretty crap isnt it? Lol. I want it just for target shooting and stuff like that in my back garden i seen a website out side Ireland that sells them(not america) and they said they would and can ship them here to me so just thought id ask around about it 1st to get some advise on them and if it would get through to me or what would happen?

Iv order full metal gas powerd airsoft shotguns an stuff from other countrys and they came through fine. I no where aloud airsoft here but its just strange that it would come through so easy you know?

Man its nothing to compare with airsoft couse airsoft is legal if its power under the restrictions, crossbow its classified same as normal gun, shotgun,rifle or what ever so if you get caught you can spend some long time in prison, trust me better you go for a compound bow and forget the hassle and im not even recommend such weapon till you are at least 25 or so just to make sure you do understand how to use it safely

renas wrote: »
    better you go for a compound bow and forget the hassle and im not even recommend such weapon till you are at least 25 or so just to make sure you do understand how to use it safely
    25??! I know 16 year olds with their own guns who are safer than some older men iv seen with guns!! A compound bow is not a weapon unless used on another person, its simply a piece of sports equipment

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    25??! I know 16 year olds with their own guns who are safer than some older men iv seen with guns!! A compound bow is not a weapon unless used on another person, its simply a piece of sports equipment

Compound bow is not a weapon!??! what are you even talking about i shoot with mine true the car dor clear
    , so i can tell you shotgun is not weapon till its used against anybody so no bull**** .. and what are you even talking about 16 years old with own guns !!!?

Compound bow is not a weapon!??! what are you even talking about i shoot with mine true the car dor clear
    , so i can tell you shotgun is not weapon till its used against anybody so no bull**** .. and what are you even talking about 16 years old with own guns !!!?

Your not from around here are you.... Im talkimg about a compound bow not beimg classed as a weapon. They are designed and sold for shooting targets or hunting in other countries NOT as weapons. I can put a baseball bat through a car door, still not a weapon. Unless I use it on someone ...

Exactly what I said, I know 16 year olds who have shotguns and rifles. In ireland you can own a gun at 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Yes 16 year olds can get their own guns.

Boaty wrote: »
    Yes 16 year olds can get their own guns.

No they cant couse you are getting only training license and you cannot cary any guns or ammunition

No they cant couse you are getting only training license and you cannot cary any guns or ammunition

Na mate Training licence at 14. Own licence at 16 to own, use, carry your own gun.

Baseball through car door man im in wrong place, again 16 years old cant have anything unless they are jumping rabbits against the law you can get full license only at 21 what are you talking about ?

Ah buddy im goin asleep, trust me you're wrong. Check out the shooting section for the info and if ya fancy a bit of hunting give me a shout ill gladly take you out. ....

You can have a licence at 16, go read the legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

Baseball through car door man im in wrong place, again 16 years old cant have anything unless they are jumping rabbits against the law you can get full license only at 21 what are you talking about ?

A quick Google : http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Firearms_and_Ammunition_FAQ

look at point 4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Folks, this is the archery forum.................... :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 20 oldguysrip

I think they were included in legislation at the time because there were loads of scumbags buying them who thought "lets go up to the Phoenix park and kill a deer". Loads of deer were being found with bolts in them around the country. I think that is the reason for the legislation

If that was the case compounds etc. would be in the same situation. Crossbows being on the restricted list was an oversight when the Restricted SI was being written, nobody made a fuss about it at the time so it was never altered.

Rifles with folding stocks were on it too until the ISSF lads pointed out that some of their rifles have folding stocks and it was changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 marksalad1102

Dam i just bought one hand held with target board but when i orderd it i said only if its ok to import it to ireland and no not from USA either its 2 days late if i dont get back within 3yrs 9mts iam in mountjoy lol hope not ps can anyone tell me the laws on a airsoft sniper rifle? not BB GUN have a RAT PROBLEM! Tks guys.

Airsoft gun won't kill a rat. Get some traps.

what about a clean head night vision shot?

• Advertisement

Night vision shot? Airsoft guns here have to be under 1 joule...that's not lethal for any animal..it wouldn't even penetrate your soft eyeball.

i here you but if you look at some airsoft shops theres air rifles with lead pellets and 350psf so if i can go trough a can of water or lynx with a little white bb gun iam% sure they takeing the lead pellet out and rifle out of the equ i would never point or try with a 1 j bb but lead rifle that has2 work and a lot cheeper than a stack of rat traps & dont like poison so what you think mate rifle or any ideas?

Anything over 1 joule is a firearm and needs a licence. If it's throwing a metal pellet at any respectable velocity you will need a licence to buy or possess it.

thanks for answering my friend so if i buy a long bow with alo tips may i use that now there selling them in a lot of stores in dublin and around and i know there a lot more deadley than a 1J bb so how can the law bend 1 way but not the other no long bow jokes pls lol

You can use a bow for target shooting but not for hunting.

• Advertisement

so if a big rat is in my farm howse or yard can i not kill it ? i think its a bit stupid about crossbows with the trigger things the traps all have triggers and some large bows have tripple the force psi psf ect ect and depending on the arrow tip x4 so ive no idea why there saying yes to one no to the other and head scratching about xyz i think it should be down to the buyer/owner to make sure they look after any outdoor sport item they have in they own its legal to walk around with a cordless heavy duty nail gun so why not the rest?

You can kill it with a gun, trap, poison, snare, cat, ferret..just not a bow and arrow.

Crossbows aren't restricted because they have a trigger.

so pls dont think iam pulling your leg but why crossbows and not long bows and i would pref to be killed with a head shot than tied up to starve poison,d to bleed from inside out or strangeld with a big railway track with spikes hanging round me neck just because i wanted me dinner ie rat bait and as for power gats they would only p**s the fe***r off would it not? so why not an arrow it,s just not fait do you agree?

I explained why crossbows are restricted in the third ppst on this page.

so why has the rod and gun shops only started selling full bows and the likes in the last 12mts that i know of trough my local shop and says the laws have been changed with non sharpend projectiles! hand guns have no stock or nail guns same idea shot a projectile at a sweet 675fps easy and bows up to 500fps &some depending on the bow?

sfp

Compounds and recurves have always been avaialble here. Just becajse you didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't around.

It has nothing to do with stocks or triggers or anything else, they are restricted because of oversight. The government had no real issue with them. They were put on that list with a load of other random stuff, people petitioned to have items taken off the list and they succeeded. Nobody spoke up for crossbows so they're still restricted.

are you into crossbows your self?

No, I'm a shooter.

on the ball yes 21 not 16 area 51 is a little mrs mallaprops!

• Advertisement
Advertisement