Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISAA Membership

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

toxof wrote: »
    If all this vetting prevents one kid from being abused, then its worth it!
    If it saves one child from accidentally poking his eye out with a nock, shouldn't we just ban archery then?

Aryzel, if we discuss the impact here, doesn't that give the IAAA a data point in their deliberations?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Aryzel wrote: »
    I'm sure they will make it public once they start to know what might be implemented, and want people to ask questions they might not have thought off, so they can have the solutions before the policy goes live.

AFAIK (I have been known to be wrong in the past) I think it is live. I need to talk to our captain who was at the meeting. As Private Ryan said, they will be discussing things with the ISAA, but for non IV clubs it is live AFAIK.
    Sparks wrote:
    Or, as I pointed out above, my file would have my exact address, what firearms I have there, what the house security is like

Now that I think of it, at the original delegate meeting where the vetting intentions were announced, it was said that previous vetting for other organisations don't count. Hopefully, this means that all info on your shooting specific vetting will not be available or made known to any party in the IAAA at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

For 99% of people that is true, their police file will contain little more than their age and address. However the remaining 1% might have extremely sensitive information on their police file that has nothing to do with their safety around kids in archery but that information will be viewed by 19-20 year old college student. So it needs to be clear how that information will be stored, who will view it, and what legal rights does the individual have if the vetting officer so much as makes a hint about that personal information to anyone, ever.

The individual Line manager(Vetting Officer) from each club will never be shown or told any individuals details, the only person that will see anyones file is the IAAAs national Line Manager, who will, if there is a problem with someones record, simply inform the clubs' line manager with a yes or no.
    The individual will be informed of the Refusal by the National line manager and will be given the chance to reply, in writing, I hope that answers a few questions...

Thing is Panser, that the address, firearms, security stuff - that's not from the NTSA vetting, that's from the actual garda licencing process itself (they send a CPO round to your house to check its security as part of the process). So anyone getting a copy of my file would get that information.

I hope that answers a few questions...
    It does, but there are a few more left to answer, if you'd be willing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

The individual Line manager(Vetting Officer) from each club will never be shown or told any individuals details, the only person that will see anyones file is the IAAAs national Line Manager, who will, if there is a problem with someones record, simply inform the clubs' line manager with a yes or no.
    The individual will be informed of the Refusal by the National line manager and will be given the chance to reply, in writing, I hope that answers a few questions...

Thanks, some solid information at last, previous info indicated that each club vetting officer would have total and sole access to all the data for their club. What you indicate is a much clearer better system, that should be acceptable and workable.

A few questions on implementation details though:
    - What sort of information will be on the files that the National Officer receives? I've no idea what would be on the files the garda send.

- How will the files/data be stored, or will it be destroyed after the Yes/No decision has being reached by the National Line Officer.

- I presume the way it would work for ISAA, is that when people signup to the club (or a few weeks into the academic year) they fill in a form giving their name, address,...?, to vetting officer in the club, who sends the form to the National Line Officer, who then get that persons file from the Garda and reviews it, give the result to the club Vetting Officer. The club vetting officer then tells the person they have passed or failed the review. If they failed the review then the person is required to not attend the club anymore. Is this the procedure imagined? Oh and when the person is given the form to fill in, what exactly (word for word) will they be told, to explain what is being done and why it is required (it shouldn't be to hard to word this to be fairly clear without scaring people off :P)

- If a person fails the vetting, does the club officer need to tell their college? As if anything did happen by the person in another club, and it was found out they had failed vetting by the archery club, but that nothing had being done to stop the person from attending other clubs, it could cause trouble. But it might not be legally allowed to inform the college, ye should ask the college about that when ye are getting their permissions to do this.

- If a person fails the vetting, how does the appeal process work, in detail. The person has only got a Yes/No, so their first question will be 'Why?'. What info will they be sent, by whom, in what time frame limits, and what in detail is the full process for appeals from there onwards. Detailing at all stages, who is doing what, what information is being sent, what locations meetings will be held with individual (Appeals officer will travel to the individual or vise-versa), etc. You get the idea, a fully detailed process. Also there is no way the National Line Manager can make the decision and handle the appeals, has to have an independent oversight of some kind. What happens if they go to the college itself instead of the channels you imagine they should go to. Ye will need to get the college to agree that if someone complains to the college that the college then directs the person back onto the right appeals channel.

- Has the procedures and questions(with solutions) being detailed and written out for each of the ISAA clubs, so when each individually goes to their Colleges, the clubs knows the situation well enough to be able to present and argue the case strongly enough to not get turned down by their colleges?

- Has a standard information sheet detailing most of this info, in particular the detailed appeals process and contact numbers, being done up and ready to be given to people to take home when they fill in the initial form giving permission to be vetted. Hmm, would probably want to make a double copy of that permission form, so the individual takes one home, one goes to the National Line Manager.

- Oh, and you will need to have a professional Lawyer (in whatever sub-spec this is, constituation law?), to given a written professional assessment of the procedures planned. Do they comply with the government laws about vetting and do they comply with government laws on individuals rights, privacy etc. Not sure if the lawyer can do this, but students in universities might also receive additional rights from the university that might need to be considered, ie, being college students they might have the right to not be vetting by college institutions (which a sports club might be considered to be)

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Private Ryan

There is plenty of clarification can be provided but I'll repeat, the ins-and outs of the various issues should not be made available to the public at large in the same way that the IAAA are not going to release the exact process of admitance/refusal to the members.
    The policy is live but it is to be implemented incramentally. If you want exact timelines ask your club rep that was at the meeting or contact the national vetting officer. It is for everyones benifit that everything is not made available on the net as it lends itself to risk of people finding loop holes and exploiting them. At least if this process is conducted in private the issues can be resolved without embarrasment.
    I'm not saying don't post your quieries just don't expect answers.

As for the colleges Dermot is correct make sure they are aware of what is going on. I've met with my college and it was very productive. If you have any college specific questions send me a message and I'll have them answered when we meet with the IAAA

There is plenty of clarification can be provided but I'll repeat, the ins-and outs of the various issues should not be made available to the public at large
    That's rather smelly.
    If the process applies to the public at large, it should be detailed to the public at large.

Sparks wrote: »
    That's rather smelly.
    If the process applies to the public at large, it should be detailed to the public at large.
    It doesn't apply to the public at large. It applies to IAAA members and volenteers in the IAAA clubs

If it applies to anyone who wants to try or take up archery, it does apply to the public at large.

• Advertisement

the IAAA are not going to release the exact process of admitance/refusal to the members.
    - Hmm, I'm not sure the IAAA would be allowed to not give the details of the process to members. You can't demand people take part in a process and then refuse to tell them what the process is. The flow of information (who and where) and the basis for the decisions (what facts will count against you in the vetting), are things that people should be able to demand before the process begins.

It is for everyones benifit that everything is not made available on the net as it lends itself to risk of people finding loop holes and exploiting them. At least if this process is conducted in private the issues can be resolved without embarrassment.
    However making information public, allows more people to indentify the loopholes and help you fix them. What happens when you don't, is that the limited number of people involved can only see some of the loopholes, and all further loopholes are only solved after they have being exploited. Its ye're call, but not making something public because of the fear of loopholes or embarrassment is a really poor argument. The goal should be to make the system as robust as possible, you should want embarrassment and loopholes pointed out, each means you have learnt a way to make the system better.

I'm not saying don't post your quieries just don't expect answers.
    I don't like the non-disclosure, but its fine, its ye're call. You can see my questions a few posts up, ye don't need to tell me the answers, just so long as your happy ye have solutions to all those questions. I could probably think of more questions if I saw the full details, but the above should cover most of the general concerns.

It is for everyones benifit that everything is not made available on the net as it lends itself to risk of people finding loop holes and exploiting them. At least if this process is conducted in private the issues can be resolved without embarrassment.
    However making information public, allows more people to indentify the loopholes and help you fix them. What happens when you don't, is that the limited number of people involved can only see some of the loopholes, and all further loopholes are only solved after they have being exploited. Its ye're call, but not making something public because of the fear of loopholes or embarrassment is a really poor argument. The goal should be to make the system as robust as possible, you should want embarrassment and loopholes pointed out, each means you have learnt a way to make the system better.
    Indeed. Security through obscurity has been about as thoroughly discredited as a valid approach as is possible. Also, full public disclosure of the procedure is being taught as being the correct approach in the Code of Ethics workshops the ISC is running to train club children's officers at the moment, so where this particular approach of hiding it away is coming from or what it's supposed to achieve would be a question to my mind. If the ISC don't think this is the right approach, and none of the other sports NGBs (even Swim Ireland, where the precipitating events took place) are doing this, and no other archery body is doing this, why is the IAAA doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Sparks wrote: »
    So anyone getting a copy of my file would get that information.

Do the fuzz keep that specific info as part of the disclosable file, or is the file to be disclosed just criminal records. I can't imagine (and hope not) that they would give security details like that to another individual. I'm hoping the file that goes out is like, 13yrs old - stole apples from farmer Hogget and whatnot. I hope.

Do we even get to know what gets sent on us to the IAAA under this scheme?

Panserborn wrote: »
    Do the fuzz keep that specific info as part of the disclosable file, or is the file to be disclosed just criminal records. I can't imagine (and hope not) that they would give security details like that to another individual. I'm hoping the file that goes out is like, 13yrs old - stole apples from farmer Hogget and whatnot. I hope.

Unless we hear otherwise, we'd have to assume that it will be a complete uncensored file, containing every interaction you've had with ANY government agency. Arrests, Passport details (info on your travels?), Drivers Licence details (Points + Offences), Taxes? (or tax offenses anyways), Rifle licence details, what else, hmm perhaps similar information on your parents, siblings. Any police investigations that included you in any way. Full transcript of any statement you gave to police. Police reports for Insurance claims. Court cases involving you. Anything you can imagine is possible until it this is cleared up by the IAAA.

Which reminds me, what are the details on how long the IAAA will need to mantain these records, 5-10 years? And how about Freedom of Information, people being able to request copies all files mentioning them with 30days etc.

the IAAA are not going to release the exact process of admitance/refusal to the members.
    The reason for this was explained at the meeting ask your line manager
    What happens when you don't, is that the limited number of people involved can only see some of the loopholes, and all further loopholes are only solved after they have being exploited.
    It's not limited people, all 30 or so line managers gave their suggestions at the meeting and any further problems that are brought to the line managers attention by their club members will be dealt with within the month.
    I could probably think of more questions if I saw the full details, but the above should cover most of the general concerns.
    I know i'm being a b@$!@&d at the miniute but 1. i haven't been appointed official PRO for vetting and 2 It will naturally all become common knowledge once everything is finalised. I might make a list of all the questions here and make sure that each one has an answer for everyones piece of mind.
    Worst case senario something is discussed here and the solution and prevention and basis for decisions are laid out here. Now if this scene plays out in reality and the solution proved to be inadaquate and now even if the person who advocated the chosen solution was not involved in the incedent the blame can be shifted away from the IAAA and leave this very person exposed.
    For people who seem averce to their records being relased I don't know why you'd sacrifice your annonimity in the decision making process.

The reason for this was explained at the meeting ask your line manager
    I'm just not convinced its legal to withhold information on a process from the people taking part in the process. But it depends on the exact details that your withholding. I understood what you said to mean that the new member would sign the forum and would be given no information on what happens to their confidential files or what information is used to decide if someone passes or fails the vetting process, or how to appeal the process if they fail, or be able to see if the process and appeal is fair and impartial. You might mean something different.

Worst case senario something is discussed here and the solution and prevention and basis for decisions are laid out here. Now if this scene plays out in reality and the solution proved to be inadaquate and now even if the person who advocated the chosen solution was not involved in the incedent the blame can be shifted away from the IAAA and leave this very person exposed.
    Not even remotely true i'm afriad. This process is being setup and run by the IAAA and the College Clubs, they decide it and implement it. They get all the blame when things go wrong. However if a problem/solution is pointed out here alerting the IAAA/Clubs to it, and a problem then occurs somewho related to the problem/solution (like the solution implmented didn't cover the announced problem perfectly), then the IAAA/Clubs get even more ****ed over, its an even bigger screw up for them. Blame falls fully on those who get to make the decisions and implement them.

For people who seem averce to their records being relased I don't know why you'd sacrifice your annonimity in the decision making process.
    Hmm, if you talking about annoucing the names of the people making the decisions, then your misunderstanding, thats not important information, it has nothing to do with the process, keep it hidden all you want. Rather its the process and appeal process that needs to be detailed. As in using job titles to describe how the information is being moved about.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Im in agreement here with Private Ryan, this information shouldn't be released via boards or on the net. As has been said by private ryan ask your line manager any questions you have and if they can't answer them they can relay it back to the national line manager. Its not fully finalized so cool yo horses, information will be available when its ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

The club line managers have an information pack that they are showing to each of the people in their club that have to be vetted. It explains everything about the process, information that will be required and returned to the vetting officer and who will have access to information.

I have seen the pack being handed around in 3 different clubs in the last week so I don't see any holding back of information. If your line managers aren't doing something similar you should ask them about it, best place to get all your info.

Sorry to parrot the above posts, posted at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Well on the plus side the IAAA is probably already too late to bring this in this year since some of the colleges have already had their clubs/socs day and as such they've already accepted memberships. Really don't see the college SUs allowing folks to be kicked out without having done anything against the universitys' code of conduct.

Still think they're going about things the wrong way though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Well, that's that then, I'm never shooting (competitively, at least) in the Republic again. Hopefully if I ever do come home there will be some other like-minded individuals I can shoot with.

E

ruiner wrote: »
    The club line managers have an information pack that they are showing to each of the people in their club that have to be vetted. It explains everything about the process, information that will be required and returned to the vetting officer and who will have access to information.

So members aren't being refused information then ... ???

Is there an information pack available for clubs who haven't joined yet? And do we have to sign the official secrets act before seeing it, or can we talk about it when we have seen it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I've heard that quite a few clubs affiliated to the IAAA are refusing to accept this, so wait and see what happens now.

No names yet.

The 4 previous comments are exactly the kind of conjecture which would convince me not to post all the in formation up here. Grow up, wake up and stop being so narrow minded.
    To answer the question on the Refusal of admitance by colleges. I was in with my sports ofice yesterday and they have no problem with refusing people entry and I was told that people have always been refused entry to the rifle club as a result of vetting. When it is introduced in Archery, even though the vetting is for a different reason the college will make no distinction between them and people can be refused.

The 4 previous comments are exactly the kind of conjecture which would convince me not to post all the in formation up here. Grow up, wake up and stop being so narrow minded.
    I've not had much archery experience PR, it's decidedly true. But I've been doing sports administration for longer than this forum or the ISAA has been around. I started on the NGB committee in olympic shooting back in 2000 and was running a college club for a few years before that, and I've been running clubs outside college ever since. So you're not arguing with narrow-mindedness, you're arguing with someone who's had ten years of experience with dictatorial people running sports organisations and the damage they can do despite being only one bad apple in a large barrel.

And what I'm trying to point out above, is that the IAAA seems to want to vet me to see if I'd molest a child - but they're not willing to detail how that's done in public, nor what safeguards are there to protect my good name (ever heard of libel law? I have. It's nasty, unpleasant and the more you learn of it, the more scared you should be, and the IAAA are running head-first for it right now); nor what safeguards are there to protect my personal security by keeping my records secure; nor why they want to do something that no other sporting body here or internationally does. And the only logical thing I can deduce from that last point is that the IAAA thinks there is already either one or several people in the IAAA who are in some way dodgy from the point of view of child protection and this blanket approach is the easiest way the committee could think of to expose them. In which case, we have a duty of care to our juniors to stay out anyway.

Do you understand my concerns any better now?
    To answer the question on the Refusal of admitance by colleges. I was in with my sports ofice yesterday and they have no problem with refusing people entry and I was told that people have always been refused entry to the rifle club as a result of vetting.
    Then you're in UCD and it's a new policy because it's not something that TCD do at all (I've been in the TCD rifle club since '94), and frankly I've never heard of it happening in UCD either and I've known the people who've run that club for a decade.

The 4 previous comments are exactly the kind of conjecture which would convince me not to post all the information up here. Grow up, wake up and stop being so narrow minded.

You had stated that: "the IAAA are not going to release the exact process of admitance/refusal to the members." Then tenacious-me said that "The club line managers have an information pack that they are showing to each of the people in their club that have to be vetted", which indicates that information IS being given to members. My 'narrow minded' post was "So members aren't being refused information then ... ??? ". Basically asking where the contradiction was coming from.
    To answer the question on the Refusal of admitance by colleges. I was in with my sports ofice yesterday and they have no problem with refusing people entry and I was told that people have always been refused entry to the rifle club as a result of vetting. When it is introduced in Archery, even though the vetting is for a different reason the college will make no distinction between them and people can be refused.
    - Thats good. Did you check with them that if someone fails a vetting does and can the archery club tell the college that there person has failed the vetting because they are considered dangerous to children? College might like to know, but we might not be allowed to tell them.

Ryan, your getting arkward and somewhat frantic posts in this thread because noone is giving a clear indication of how things will work. At the moment it seems like the whole process is being made up as it goes along. Which I don't think is the case but it is a consequence of the dribs and drabs of information being released. Basically can you do something like this, a step by step process of what happens when a new club joins the IAAA and needs to start doing this vetting process.

- New club tells the IAAA they want to join.
    - IAAA gives the club and information pack on the various archery requirements, membership fees etc to join. Also gives the club an information pack detailling the vetting processs.

- The vetting process info pack contains the following.
    -- Who will be required to be vetted and when. (Like, Officers within 2 weeks, Senior members within 4 weeks and all Beginner or new members within 6 weeks of joining the club.)
    -- Explaination of the flow of info like:
    ---Permission form received from individual by club vetter, who gives it to national vetting officer, who talks to guarda and gets the file.
    ---National vetting officer then views the files and makes a Yes/No answer. Files are locked away in storage along with reasoning behind the National Vetting officers decision for 10 years.
    ---The decision is passed to the club vetting officer, who then tells the individual. If the answer was Pass, then the person continues in the club as normal.
    ---If the answer was Fail, then the person leaves the club, or appeals. To appeal the person fills in the Appeal form and then gets to meet with the National Vetting officer (within 2weeks) to discuss the reasoning behind the Fail (who else will be at this meeting?(club vetter should be and problably someone independent also).
    ---If this appeal meeting results in the Pass then the person continues in the club as normal.
    ---If the appeal meeting results in another Fail, then the person should be able to appeal to some national league body, ombudsman or one of the courts(you will need to indicate what the next steps for the person are, including contact numbers and addresses of who he goes to).

-- Sample forms that people would fill.
    -- List of information the guarda files will contain when sent to the National Vetting officer.
    -- List of key factors used to make a Fail decision. The arguement against telling people this is that if people know they might make excuses to not fill in their form because they know they will fail. But that isn't a proper excuse, clubs will give everyone deadlines on returning their permission forms and will need to enforce that rule. If a persons permission form has not being recieve the day of their deadline then they must be refused attendance to the club until it is recieved. You can't withhold the info because you think the clubs will be weak in enforcing deadline dates.
    -- Would be useful to have a sample case using fake names and forms to show exactly how one of these vettings works.
    -- A FAQ detailing answers to most main concerns, privacy, fairness, etc, basically the information for these will be in the main explaination of the process but just doing a FAQ format to be easier on people to understand.
    -- Probably need a separate Info sheet for college clubs detailing typical extra things that they would have to do, as such clubs are also subject to their colleges, not just the IAAA. Probably require clubs to get their Colleges support (in writing), and fully explain the process to the collges.

- Once a new club has being given all this, they look it over, decide if they want to still join the IAAA. If they do they sign whatever acceptances they need to and start implementing the proceduces like vetting.

Ryan, You don't need to post the actual information pack info here, but you should be able to post the explaination of what it contains. Bascially something that is almost the exact same to what I have just posted above, just edit it to reflect what is being actually done.

Dermot

Sparks, your concerns are valid but out of curiosity have you informed the IAAA directly of your intention to join?

They aren't hiding things from people but an unfinished document being published for all to see can be a dangerous thing, especially for a sensitive topic like vetting. No one wants to rush it through before it has been thorougly examined and thought through.

It's still being worked on and it all has to go through one person who is trying to get this up and running. It will take time to get everyone up to speed.

The whole process has already changed once and parts could do so again hence the reason no one can give you a definite answer to the questions.

Through yourself I thought ruiner. And through Jim Conroy and there are other committee members who know by now as well, albiet by indirect means, including the national-vetting-officer-to-be.

If the process is still being worked on (and that's a good thing to my mind), is the person trying to get this up and running aware that noone else in any sport in any country requires all members to be vetted? And is he aware of the privacy concerns? And is he aware of the fact that NGBs like Swim Ireland and Tennis Ireland publish their vetting procedures openly on the net for anyone to see (member or not)? And that this is how the ISC wants it done? (And no, I haven't mentioned this to him because we're in the awkward position of getting ready to join up but not being joined up - and if you're not joined up you're seen as an outsider who has no right to ask these questions from what I've seen here; but in order to join up and question the vetting procedure, we'd have to go through it in the first place - it's a bit catch-22).

• Advertisement

The club needs to do it formally, ie get the sec to send an email or letter from the club committee with a coreespondance address. It's been mentioned but word of mouth doesn't quite suffice here I'm afraid.

Swim Ireland are already vetting people so they have a completed process. All the main sports do afaik. The smaller sports are catching up now.

Advertisement