Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I found it very demanding for the first six weeks. i came close to giving up a good few times. I think when you reach that point, sleep on it - the situation will be better in the morning.
    I felt it got a bit easier from then on, better by eight weeks and much better by 10 weeks. Baby is now 22 weeks old and its a doddle, I feel at this stage it is not only still the best thing for her but also more convenient than bottles - no sterilising, making up formula and I have the confidence to feed any time, any where.
    Best of luck with it and hang in there, you'll feel better in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Hey Guys,
    Just have a newborn and he sleeps for maybe 2/3 hours then it takes an hour or so to change/feed & burp and then another 2/3 hours sleep. I know this is normal but i'm sooo tired. With time does he feed quicker and then sleep longer? When should i look forward to this happening??
    Thanks a new mommy
    xoxod

When it comes to the night time forget about nappy changes as long as they are not dirty. Just use some vaseline to keep their skin dry. My son never had nappy rash once. I never bothered with burping him a night either. I just fed him and back to sleep. I would put him down to sleep in his own crib but then bring him into my bed during night when he woke up because I was too tired to even sit up.

Your baby should be feeding less by 6 weeks but some take longer. It gets easier it can be a very rewarding experience for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

HI All,
    lomg story short, our little fella is 11 days old and has been breast fed since day one, but he was always hungry again after 10-15 mins, s we expressed for over an hr and all we got was about half or qutar ounce. we have decided to use formula and breast feed combined. However, every time we use the formula he regurgitates a fair mouth full or two of the stuff about 10-15 mins after gulping the bottle down agressively. We are using the blue pre made Aptimals and i was looking for any advice thaht you can give to get him out of this regurgitation habit?
    thanks a million in advance

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You're not going to like this but, that sounds pretty normal. It's called posseting. Sometimes it can be half digested when they do it and it stinks!

My fella is 6 months and often produces a little still. Sometimes he even brings up a load. I'm here looking at a stain on the carpet that I haven't got around to sorting out yet.

My advice would be to get some Muslin Cloths for when you're burping, they've saved many an outfit of mine in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Hi OP - your babe's only 11 days old...give your boobs a chance to catch up! If your baby's looking for more immediately after a feed, your body will start producing more milk to satisfy him. This can take a few weeks to fully settle itself (at which point your baby will need more or less & your body will adjust again). And as for expressing - that will get easier (and more efficient) with time too, so if you want to stick with it you'll eventually get the hang of it & you'll get more.

As for the bottle, it is quite natural for a baby of that age to be posseting (as das kitty mentioned). Especially since the babe drinks so much so fast, his poor belly just can't handle that amount all at once, so most of it usually comes back up. Again, this will sort itself out in time, but I second das kitty's advise for muslin cloths.

Personally, I don't generally agree with some people's thoughts that breastmilk won't satisfy the appetite of their baby. Of course, there are exceptions, but I think that if you give your body a chance (& time) it will surprise you with its ability to cope with your baby's needs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had to combine feed my baby too on the paediatricians advice as she was starving.
    When it came to the bottle we found letting her only have a tiny amount then winding her helped a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

May I ask what size teat you are using? Perhaps changing for a slower teat might help him to drink a little slower

It is quite normal for a baby to poss tho. A newborns stomach is only about the size of a walnut. I believe the first feeds are about 8-10mls when breastfeeding. Little but very very often! As supply increases, your little one will get more at each feed and ultimately go longer between feeds. Unfortunately the only way to increase supply is to meet demand. For me this was pretty much for 40mins of every hour in the beginning. I know its exhausting and I can see why about 60% of women who breastfeed give up after 2 weeks. Combined feeding is the best of both worlds and it's what I shall be doing for any future babies if I'm blessed with any.

Good luck!

hi guys thanks for settling my mind regarding the regurgitation.
    re: the breast feeding, we have seen him literally get in to a frenzy when being breast fed... he screams his head off in frustration at the milk not flowing out quick enough for him and he would still be straving after taking to each side for nomore than 10mins... he would fall into a sleep and have to be constantly woken, and with the frenzy it was extremely diff for him to retain or get latched. I think the combined feeding is the most suitable option for us all, but which formula is the best option in this situation?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aptimil 1 is what we were advised to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

It can be a hard couple of weeks at the start, but at 11 days, you should not really be worrying about much else other then feeding and resting. 10 mins per side does not sound like, much to me. Are you sure he is
    a. latched properly? milk flow improves with correct latch,check and check again - i had 2 PHNs, a midwife and a doc tell me my daughters latch was fine but it wasn't after 10 days of not very nice feeding experience i corrected her latch and happy days after that.
    b. emptying your first breast before moving to the second? if your baby is not getting hind milk then they will not be satisfied.
    c. try to feed almost before he starts to look for it, that way he will not get into such a frenzy and will also start to trust that you will fed him and will not get so anxious about.
    Expressing takes time to build up, but if you have a latch problem your supply will not be high, however at 11 days, your supply needs time to settle down.
    some good info here http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

I combined feed both mine, however after reading more on formula the next one will be exclusively breastfed for as long as possible.

http://www.promom.org/101/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We use Aptamil too. They say that all the formulas are much of a muchness but most midwives will advise Aptamil if combined feeding as it is supposed to be the one which is most like breastmilk

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

hiya! im also combo feeding, have been since my son was 2 weeks old. he just wasnt getting enough from me, he is now 13 weeks and i still breastfeed but give him 1 x 6oz formula bottle at night before bedtime and it fills him up so well that he sleeps from abut 9pm to 5am! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

and the whole point of my post was meant to be that yes, my son also throws back some of the formula but its perfectly normal, i am using aptimel 1 aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

He is probably taking in too much feed and some air which is creating a bubble that forces it back up again. Experiment with various slow flow teats and burping him as often as you can.

As other posters have said, posseting is perfectly normal. My wee fella is windy and still doing it at 9 weeks and he is breastfed! Oh the rejection....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bourgie

Some babies are just a bit more vomity than others! My first never got sick, the second is still regularly brings up milk at four months, but a lot less than before.

I would really think again about introducing formula at this stage - breastfeeding isn't established by now and by giving your baby a formula bottle, you are telling your body to reduce the amount of milk needed. The best thing to do is to let your baby feed as often as possible so your body adjusts your supply.

Lynski gave great advice, give yourself a chance, let your baby feed for longer and trust in yourself. It is very unusual for a woman who is breastfeeding on demand exclusively with the right latch etc not to produce enough milk to feed her baby: but if you use formula or a soother before six weeks, or try to feed to a schedule, it can reduce the amount of milk produced.

Re the comment about Aptamil being the most like breastmilk, this is simply as result of good marketing to midwives by the company! One formula may suit your baby more than another but it is not because is is more or less like breast milk.

Good luck with your new baba, try to enjoy every minute as they grow up so fast! The first few weeks with a new baby can be very tough going but breastfeeding is so rewarding once you get into the swing of it. I too find kellymom.com a really good source of advice on breastfeeding - good support makes a big difference in helping you continue I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I recommend handtowels rather than muslin cloths! (They don't seep as much :pac:). Our daughter was a 'happy chucker' who liked nothing more than to look like she was keeping it together - before spraying us down.

Her 16 week old brother keeps his grub down mostly, though he did spooge all over me in Starbucks on Saturday. :D

thanks again guys,
    baby is 16 days old know and we are combining breast and formula at the min. however, the days are getting harder as each one goes by. he is now regurgitating after 90% of his feeds and his sleep paterns during the night are all over the shop...
    10mins, 3hrs, 20mins, 1hr etc... and he would wake up and be in a crying frenzy untill he gets fed, he the regurgitates and the cycle starts all over again... is this normal? will it get better/more managable? all friends/family think hes a great child as he sleeps anytime others are around him ... i think he's got it all planned out :o
    any help advice tips would be great
    thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's completely normal for a baby that young. If you're worried about the amount of sick talk to your PHN. Babies throw up less on breastmilk so if you were interested in moving back to exclusively doing that you can offer the breast first everytime you feed and let him suck as long as he likes then top up when he's finished.

As for sleeping like that, yes very normal for that age. It's a total shock to the system alright.

When will it get better? By 6 weeks, I can almost guarantee it.

thanks for putting the mind at ease a little

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

You poor thing. I know that when junior is unsettled it makes everything so much harder.

My son is 4 weeks old and was a big (hungry) baby when he was born and by the time he was 4 days old he had my nipples torn to bits. When he got sick there was as much blood in his vomit as milk. As a result I've changed over to expressing breast milk for him which is working out well.

In an attempt to get a little longer of a sleep at night (and giving in to family pressure) we substituted a bottle of formula as his last feed at night. We tried Aptamil but it really didn't agree with him as he would be sick and crying with wind for hours after. We then tried SMA for hungrier babies and he's taken that without a problem. As a previous poster said you may have to try some of the other types of formula to find the one that suits your baby (the ready made cartons are a great way to try the different types of formula out).

The above is working for me but it might be a good idea for you to attend a La Leche or Cuidiu meeting in your area to get help and support with breastfeeding i.e. latching etc.

Anyway congratulations on your baby and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GeckoOnTheWall

HI All,
    lomg story short, our little fella is 11 days old and has been breast fed since day one, but he was always hungry again after 10-15 mins, s we expressed for over an hr and all we got was about half or qutar ounce. we have decided to use formula and breast feed combined. However, every time we use the formula he regurgitates a fair mouth full or two of the stuff about 10-15 mins after gulping the bottle down agressively. We are using the blue pre made Aptimals and i was looking for any advice thaht you can give to get him out of this regurgitation habit?
    thanks a million in advance

Positivenote,

I agree with what has been said that it's still very early, and you need a bit more time to establish your brestfeeding. It's both the mother and the baby that need to learn how to brestfeed. I would only want to add that a breastpump can never imitate the suckling of an infant and for that reason it will never pump as much milk as your baby. When a baby is being brestfed, it uses 60 muscles to suck, swallow and breathe. To date, despite research, there is no machine able to imitate the nature in that aspect. And the truth is, nobody knows how much milk the baby is getting each time she/he brestfeeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

so nice to know that you people are here.
    I have a month old baby boy, with enormous hunger :) Im breastfeeding. Beginnings were horrible, he cried and I cried :) now things are bit better, but I feel like a zombie now (sleepless nights)
    however my nipples are still sore, so I use the silicone protectors and that brings a bit of relief.
    I thought breastfeeding would be easy, but it is a challenging job and I learn as we go every single time.

one thing that bugs me is when the nipples will get harder and more persistent to any damage? anyone knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

ani_mal wrote: »
    I have a month old baby boy, with enormous hunger :) Im breastfeeding. Beginnings were horrible, he cried and I cried :) now things are bit better, but I feel like a zombie now (sleepless nights)
    however my nipples are still sore, so I use the silicone protectors and that brings a bit of relief.
    I thought breastfeeding would be easy, but it is a challenging job and I learn as we go every single time.

one thing that bugs me is when the nipples will get harder and more persistent to any damage? anyone knows?

Soon! I recommend hand expressing a little milk and rubbing it on your nipples after feeding and be careful of your positioning. If it hurts stop the feed and reposition. I always fed lying down until baba was about 6 months as I found it easy to get a good latch that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Nipples take a little time to toughen up but you'll be fine as long as the latch is right :) It helps if you are not too fair skinned too...

I just wanted to comment on the hunger - you just never know. He might just not be very efficient or slow at feeding yet or he just might want the closeness of frequent nursing. My baby screamed for the 1st 3 months and feeding often but he was not hungry. just cranky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

PAnd the truth is, nobody knows how much milk the baby is getting each time she/he brestfeeds.

some women can successfully breastfeed but can't express a single drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GeckoOnTheWall

My nipples were sore for the whole first month. I found BIO-FEM aloe vera products for sore nipples extremely helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Hi Ani mal,
    I have a 5 months old boy and I am still breastfeeding...
    I know well what you are talking about when you mentioning sore nipples.. I have to say starts were really really hard and tough.. as in your case both, me and my little one, were cryin few times.. it was so flustrating and soooo sore.. here was blod and all..my nipples were cracked etc.!!! I should say I saw few breastfeeding consultants and they all sad he was latching on perfectly and all. I had to start using the silicone nipple shields.. they gave me great relieve and he was feeding well with them... It took nearly 2 and half months before my nipples got a bit better but I they never got hard enough to feed without nipple shields. Basicly I was able to feed him for 3 days without the shields and then I had to recover for next 4 days.. I jus gave up one week then and kept using the nipple shields for every feed. This caused that my little man would not take a bare nipple within a week.. I was a bit upset over this but I kept going using the nipple shiels and I am using them until now. He is a hungry baby so I am glad there was thing like a nipple shields as otherwise I guess I would have had stop to breastfeed him and I really wanted to keep going as long as possible.
    I am after starting him on his first solid food last few days and he is loving it.
    Breastfeeding is a tough job and yes even I have had sleepless nights. On the other hand I am delighted I was able to do it as if you havent done it I think you missed a massive experience and I have to say that it was the best thing I have ever experienced.. there is nothing like when the baby is latched on to your boob and falls asleep.. such a strong feeling of bond between the mam and the little angel woudl you hardly experience if you hold the bottle..
    Now to answer your question.. I believe some peoples nipples will get harder and stron enough to comfortabely breastfeed for months and months but unfortunately it did not work in my case.
    So I say keep the hard work going and yes it will get a bit easier.. time will fly by and soon you will be trying first solid foods and you will get your sleep back then. ;-)
    In my opinion its a job which is definately worth it and you will never regret you went that road! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The nipples are sore for the first while but I must say I had no pain in them after a few weeks. Gradually the pain gets less and less. Always check the latch and take him off and put him on again if necessary. It WILL get easier:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Spinach

Hi ladies. My baby is one week old today :) So glad this thread is here!
    Feeding is going pretty well, after some sore nipples in the first few days, they have got a bit better. I have a question about breaking the latch though. Her latch is basically fine most of the time I think, but when I want to switch her to the other side before she is ready I find it really difficult to dislodge her without pain! I have read to stick your little finger in the corner of her mouth but this barely seems to achieve anything and I really have to pull my finger down towards her bottom lip in order to remove her, and so I find myself reluctant to change sides when it's more comfortable to leave her to comfort suck or fall asleep - but I need to change really to keep stimulating flow or relieve the other breast.
    Would love to hear any tips you may have on the correct way to break the latch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You need to break the suction hold the baby has on you.
    You do this by gently inserting your finger into the corner of the babys mouth
    and then you can pull your boob back away from the baby's mouth.
    If they have a very strong latch and that isn't working you cna start by breaking the suction hold with your index finger and then press on the middle of the chin under the bottom lip to get the jaw to release down.

I had to do the chin release with my daugther she had a vacum mouth and breaking the suction would just have her relatch like ligthening and in a way that she'd start to chew on my nipple.

I would tend to have the other breast ready for her so that switching was easily enought done, that is if I was some where I could get my other breast out and squeeze it to get the flow started.

Advertisement