Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi 9 Pro £229 - Amazon.co.uk

• 01-06-2020 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,411 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Spotted this on HUKD, very decent specs for the money, phone released 8th June £229 from Amazon.co.uk.

• Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G processor with up to 2.3GHz, Qualcomm Adreno 618 GPU, 8nm FinFET process.
    • 5020mAh battery, Built-In Non-removable Lithium Ion Polymer Battery, USB Type-C reversible connector port, 33W fast charger in-box.
    • 6.67" DotDisplay, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 front and back, Resolution: 2400 x 1080 FHD+, Contrast: 1500:1 (typ) | NTSC: 84% (typ), TÜV Rheinland low blue light certification, Reading mode 2.0.
    • 64MP ultra-high resolution primary camera, 8MP ultra wide-angle camera, 5MP macro camera, 2MP depth sensor, supporting Cinematic 4K video, 4K recording.
    • Supports 2+1 card slot, nano-SIM + nano-SIM + microSD (512GB expandable), supports dual SIM VoLTE HD calling.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088FJCSQ2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 -dmo7-

I have the Redmi 8 Pro. My only fault is the Xiaomi bloatware, other than that for the price, it is a cracking phone! Second Xiaomi phone and very happy.

Does it have NFC/Google Pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

same version available now on edwaybuy for 279 us dollars. Shipping ex EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,411 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Basil3 wrote: »
    Does it have NFC/Google Pay?

Yes has NFC, here's full specs on GSM Arena...
    https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_9_pro-10217.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Does it have ads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

-dmo7- wrote: »
    I have the Redmi 8 Pro. My only fault is the Xiaomi bloatware, other than that for the price, it is a cracking phone! Second Xiaomi phone and very happy.

All bloatware/unnecessary apps can be removed using Android Debug Bridge utility

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tomasL

Still using Redmi Note 7, still meets all my demands.

M

Pablo1802 wrote: »
    All bloatware/unnecessary apps can be removed using Android Debug Bridge utility

Would running that cause any issue with the phone showing as hacked/jailbroken etc for using banking apps etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

tomasL wrote: »

Same here mostly. It is getting a little slow. It is my second redmi phone. I would recommend them highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Another Redmi Note 7 here - still a great phone. 3rd Xiaomi and can't see myself moving away from them anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Have a Google Pixel 3A - contemplating a change. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 eoin317

I bought the Redmi Note 8 Pro recently, very happy with it. NFC etc and it was very reasonable at £179 from the UK site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭Invincible

eoin317 wrote: »
    I bought the Redmi Note 8 Pro recently, very happy with it. NFC etc and it was very reasonable at £179 from the UK site.

Did they deliver to Republic or had you to use PW/PM/AP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 eoin317

I used Parcel Motel alright, very good service in fairness. Price has gone up now on their site now..

Bought it. Damn you BA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I've 2 questions:
    1. Does it have an FM radio
    2. Does the IR have a learning function (can you beam an existing remote at the phone and program the phone to "learn" that function)?

If it can do the above - and I know it has NFC, then it could be my perfect phone :)

FYI: From what I understand, the 9S model has FM radio, no NFC and slower charging. All else the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭chases0102

How would this compare with an S10?

Thinking of selling mine, maybe buy this, make a bit of a profit.

M

chases0102 wrote: »
    How would this compare with an S10?

Thinking of selling mine, maybe buy this, make a bit of a profit.

Here's a comparison of both...
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10217&idPhone2=9536

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers for that - very similar phone.

Like a very good camera for my phone, if Xiaomi could mould that off I’d sell

Yes has NFC, here's full specs on GSM Arena...
    https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_9_pro-10217.php

The 9s and 9 pro have the same architecture but the entry level 9 has a MediaTek cpu in place of a Qualcomm in the more expensive pair. In theory the 9 Pro is just a more expensive 9s, adding a faster charger, 64 MP Camera and NFC. I've read reviews which commented on the FM radio in the 9S but have looked in vain to see any comment about its existence in the 9 Pro.

This link in GSM arena compares the 3 global models available - the 9, 9s and 9 pro - the information I'm looking for is missing:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10192&sSearch2=+Xiaomi+Redmi+Note+9s&idPhone2=10147&idPhone3=10217

I would really appreciate it if anyone could confirm the FM radio in the Pro model - or provide links to somewhere its mentioned :D

• Advertisement
    M

route66 wrote: »
    ne could confirm the FM radio in the Pro model - or provide links to somewhere its mentioned :D

GSM Arena doesn't list it but these various reviews do on certain models of it, clear as mud :pac:

This Indian version of the 9 Pro which has 4GB of RAM has FM Radio confirmed in the review...

https://droidchart.com/en/xiaomi/xiaomi-redmi-note-9-pro-rmnote9pro-6528

This site confirms the 6GB version with 128GB storage has FM Radio according to this...

https://www.venfinder.com/compare/xiaomi-redmi_note_9_pro_max-vs-xiaomi-redmi_note_9_pro-vs-samsung-galaxy_a71_5g

6GB version with 64GB storage has FM radio according to this...

https://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/xiaomi_redmi_note_9_pro_vs_xiaomi_redmi_note_9-cpd1avaexqac_pd1919bllvo.php

GSM Arena doesn't list it but these various reviews do on certain models of it, clear as mud :pac:

This Indian version of the 9 Pro which has 4GB of RAM has FM Radio confirmed in the review...

https://droidchart.com/en/xiaomi/xiaomi-redmi-note-9-pro-rmnote9pro-6528

This site confirms the 6GB version with 128GB storage has FM Radio according to this...

https://www.venfinder.com/compare/xiaomi-redmi_note_9_pro_max-vs-xiaomi-redmi_note_9_pro-vs-samsung-galaxy_a71_5g

6GB version with 64GB storage has FM radio according to this...

https://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/xiaomi_redmi_note_9_pro_vs_xiaomi_redmi_note_9-cpd1avaexqac_pd1919bllvo.php

Thanks Atlantic Dawn,

I think the problem is that Xiaomi need to review their naming conventions! From what I read, the Indian 9 Pro is the same as the Global 9S. The top model in India is the 9 Max which is not exactly the same as the Pro - apparently it has a 32MP selfie camera. Why they don't have different names for every model I don't know. And this is coming from somebody who purchased 5 different Xiaomi phones over the last 3 years for family members ...

I emailed Xiaomi directly and, unbelievably, they also don't know.

Other than buying one, I think the only way to know is to look for a review that mentions a 64MP rear camera and a 16MP Selfie camera - the Global 9 Pro model is the only "9" so equipped. But then, a lot of reviewers don't share my obsession with FM radios so don't always mention them :mad:

M

Phone now out of stock in all 3 colours and price increased to £249.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dexster555

Do you think the realme 6 would be a better option?

M

Dexster555 wrote: »
    Do you think the realme 6 would be a better option?

Could be, a few people on HUKD made comments about that as an alternative to it...

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xiaomi-redmi-note-9-pro-6gb64gb-tropical-green-grey-white-uk-version-249-at-amazon-3474837

Anybody get theirs? :p

M

Phone back in stock in all 3 colours.

Yup got an email saying mine will be sent out on Monday.

Any sign of a 128GB version? Not a fan of SD cards to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Can get them on honorbuy. Ordered one Sunday afternoon and arrived Tuesday mid day. Cost €277 and that's with shipping.

M

Yes they have them on Amazon but will only ship to UK address, the Interstellar Grey colour has the 128GB option, here's the direct link...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088FQRW9Y

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

I received the 6gb/128gb yesterday from eglobal central, 215 euros delivered. Took 18 days from ordering to delivery.

I'm replacing a redmi note 7,and tbh not seeing much difference except nfc..

M

kingstevii wrote: »
    I received the 6gb/128gb yesterday from eglobal central, 215 euros delivered. Took 18 days from ordering to delivery.

What do you think of it? Does the fast charger with it have an EU plug, is it possible to use it in IRL/UK socket via an adaptor? I take it the fast charger is essential or would be time consuming charging with standard charger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Some reports of WiFi connectivity issues with this phone. If anyone that's been living with the phone for a while can comment on this, it may prove helpful for potential buyers.

Apparently this device, and other Xiaomi phones, have particular trouble staying connected to certain modems common in Germany.

Did it come with a 3pin plug ?

• Advertisement

Did it come with a 3pin plug ?

No, 2 pin, came with an adaptor..
    No WiFi issues, and I've used it in a number of places
    I charged it last night using a decent Samsung charger I have so haven't used the charger that came with it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I've a redmi note 5 for the last two years and I wouldn't mind an upgrade now but what's putting me off is the performance of the phone. I've noticed that there's a couple of seconds delay mostly when using the keyboard that's really annoying. It happens in apps too but the keyboard is the worst and could be nonresponse for 5 seconds at a time while using it. It's been like that basically since I got it and my girlfriend has the mi A3 and says the same. Hers still suffers with WiFi problems. I'm thinking that while you get a phone packed with everything for cheap your going to be upgrading it more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

is the camera good on these, thinking of replacing my S8 but wont settle on downgraded camera of which the S8s is excellent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Would this be an upgrade on an S7?
    Have one 3 years and the thing is bomb proof, I just fancy a larger screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Jet Black wrote: »
    I've a redmi note 5 for the last two years and I wouldn't mind an upgrade now but what's putting me off is the performance of the phone. I've noticed that there's a couple of seconds delay mostly when using the keyboard that's really annoying. It happens in apps too but the keyboard is the worst and could be nonresponse for 5 seconds at a time while using it. It's been like that basically since I got it and my girlfriend has the mi A3 and says the same. Hers still suffers with WiFi problems. I'm thinking that while you get a phone packed with everything for cheap your going to be upgrading it more often.

I've the redmi note 7 a year and I don't have any of those problems. It could be resolved earlier.

• Advertisement

I've the redmi note 7 a year and I don't have any of those problems. It could be resolved earlier.

I found my note 7 to be a massive upgrade on my previous redmi 4..

I'm still finding it hard to see as big an upgrade from note 7 to note 9 pro..

Edit: i has a redmi 5 plus after the redmi 4. And the Note 7 was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I found my note 7 to be a massive upgrade on my previous redmi 4..

I'm still finding it hard to see as big an upgrade from note 7 to note 9 pro..

Is there a noticable difference in camera quality and zoom?
    Iv'e a Note 7 and was half thinking of going for the Note 9 Pro (nothing wrong with the Note 7)

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Iv'e a Note 7 and was half thinking of going for the Note 9 Pro (nothing wrong with the Note 7)

I haven't really gotten into the camera yet, but on first observation, not a whole lot that I can see tbh.. In saying that, I haven't taken many photos yet..

Saint_Mel wrote: »

I haven't really gotten into the camera yet, but on first observation, not a whole lot that I can see tbh.. In saying that, I haven't taken many photos yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

I got one friday from a guy on adverts in dublin, 275 plus 8 delivery for 128gb.
    Pretty happy so far, battery and camera are excellent and a nice bit better than my S8 which I had for 2 years. My only complaint is that the Smartswitch app on the samsung wouldn't work to transfer stuff to the Xiaomi so I had to use a few other apps and lost some photos that I had on a memory card in the S8. Also, I would have loved if the photos copied across in the exact same gallery / favourites / album setup that I had on the S8 but they didn't, they all kinda lumped in together with the date I transferred them on. I can still find what I want using google photos but it would be handier if it completely cloned the old phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

tomasL wrote: »

I'm redmi note 5 and no complaints. I don't really see any reason to upgrade, maybe the battery life but I have a power bar so not pushed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ep71 wrote: »
    I got one friday from a guy on adverts in dublin, 275 plus 8 delivery for 128gb.
    Pretty happy so far, battery and camera are excellent and a nice bit better than my S8 which I had for 2 years. My only complaint is that the Smartswitch app on the samsung wouldn't work to transfer stuff to the Xiaomi so I had to use a few other apps and lost some photos that I had on a memory card in the S8. Also, I would have loved if the photos copied across in the exact same gallery / favourites / album setup that I had on the S8 but they didn't, they all kinda lumped in together with the date I transferred them on. I can still find what I want using google photos but it would be handier if it completely cloned the old phone.

How is performance compared to the S8?
    Seems to be a load of the redmi note 9s on there , very tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Long time Xiaomi fan, we all have them in the family. My only gripe is the lag when taking a photo, split second delay between pressing and taking the photo. When you take action shots if you press when a fast moving object (like a bike going by) is in the frame, the lag means it is gone by the time the image is captured. Infuriating.

Duplicate

Nice little video on the 9 pro..

https://youtu.be/ifBZDc1eMEQ

They're 265 sterling according to video, I got mine for 215 euro..

• Advertisement
Advertisement