Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

murfo wrote: »
    noticed a few cm growth over the past week since we've been back to the muck, first daisy popped up too.

Cut the grass here in Kerry a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Glorious afternoon in my part of county Galway. Glad to see the end of the rain for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Really windy and cold in Dublin, I hate the wind

Has turned out ok in Dublin, got a run in in the park at lunch. The sun actually had some warmth in it when it was in my face while resting after run. But then I was an overheating sweaty mess so maybe it wasn't the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Much better afternoon in Castlebar. Clear skies. Cold one ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

At last managed to get out to park for a while today.

It was great to be out. Beautiful ,cold but sunny.

Loads of flooded areas so plenty of fun for my 4 year old splashing in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Fairly miserable day again in Letterkenny with frequent showers, don't look like much on radar but they've been piling in constantly since yesterday afternoon. Got drenched going for a walk after work as has increasingly been routine this winter :rolleyes:

appledrop wrote: »
    At last managed to get out to park for a while today.

It was great to be out. Beautiful ,cold but sunny.

Loads of flooded areas so plenty of fun for my 4 year old splashing in them.

My 5 and 6.5 year olds are Divils for that, Boys and water I just don't know the fascination, they'd sit outside soaked for the day in the cold if I'd let them splashing away. Worse again is we have a stream right beside us. :eek:

Great in the Summer though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Any chance of a decent storm or something? This waiting for this cold spell to materialise is doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

My 5 and 6.5 year olds are Divils for that, Boys and water I just don't know the fascination, they'd sit outside soaked for the day in the cold if I'd let them splashing away. Worse again is we have a stream right beside us. :eek:

My wee man is obsessed with water. Has the kitchen, bathroom and any other room he can wrecked with it.

Very heavy frost here in D9, was expecting a bit of ice but this is much heavier.

Any chance of a decent storm or something? This waiting for this cold spell to materialise is doing my head in.

Are we not in a cold spell? Cars are v frosty in D5 this morning anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

circadian wrote: »
    My wee man is obsessed with water. Has the kitchen, bathroom and any other room he can wrecked with it.

Very heavy frost here in D9, was expecting a bit of ice but this is much heavier.

wasn't expecting it either since it was struggling to set in last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

1c chilly, overcast, very light snowfall at 300mtrs West Wicklow.

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Ireland

Falls of hail, sleet and snow. Icy and hazardous conditions.

Valid: 18:00 Saturday 23/01/2021 to 12:00 Sunday 24/01/2021

Issued: 12:00 Friday 22/01/202

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thatsmighty

Spring is coming

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Spring is coming

.....around April :P

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Ireland

Falls of hail, sleet and snow. Icy and hazardous conditions.

Valid: 18:00 Saturday 23/01/2021 to 12:00 Sunday 24/01/2021

Issued: 12:00 Friday 22/01/202

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another stunning but cold day in South Leitrim. Blue skies and sunshine. If it keeps like this look out for the ISS tonight and this weekend.

OldRio wrote: »
    Another stunning but cold day in South Leitrim. Blue skies and sunshine. If it keeps like this look out for the ISS tonight and this weekend.

I must actually see if I can contact the Ham radio operators on ISS sometime that would be really cool.

I must actually see if I can contact the Ham radio operators on ISS sometime that would be really cool.

Check the 'heavens above' website and put your location in and the dates and times of the passes are listed. I used to listen to the Oscar 6 Satellite in the 1970s,but that's for another forum.
    Still no snow and getting cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah this evening was even more fun. Loads of puddles had iced over so great fun to be had breaking the ice!

It was much colder out there this afternoon they yesterday even though sunny.

It will be a cold one tonight!

• Advertisement

ISS tonight @ 7.17pm
    Saturday 6.30 pm & 8.06pm
    Sunday 5.43 pm & 7.19pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

ISS tonight @ 7.17pm
    Saturday 6.30 pm & 8.06pm
    Sunday 5.43 pm & 7.19pm

You can set up the IFFT app to notify you of when it will pass over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Also look out for the planet Mercury for the next few evenings if you have clear skies, low on the horizon looking Southwest.

Everything frosty in D5, cars are icy af. I don't know if it's just because I'm up really early these days, but I can't remember seeing this much frost as we have seen in the last couple of months, for years and years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I can't remember seeing this much frost as we have seen in the last couple of months, for years and years.

Yip. Certainly a more frosty winter than some. I remember one year not having a single air frost up to this stage in winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭King of Spades

Everything frosty in D5, cars are icy af. I don't know if it's just because I'm up really early these days, but I can't remember seeing this much frost as we have seen in the last couple of months, for years and years.

Agreed. We’ve had at least a couple of dozen hard frosts this winter, snow on the ground 3 times, more forecast tonight, a couple of ice days and February is shaping up to be potentially colder and snowier. Can’t really complain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Agreed. We’ve had at least a couple of dozen hard frosts this winter, snow on the ground 3 times, more forecast tonight, a couple of ice days and February is shaping up to be potentially colder and snowier. Can’t really complain.

A couple of ice days? This winter? Lol!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    A couple of ice days? This winter? Lol!!!

Yes. Some people have had ice days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Thought it had snowed this morning when I woke up but was just a hard frost. Everything white and clear blue skies. Beautiful morning.

Have to say I've really enjoyed this winter so far

• Advertisement

Well another beautiful morning. Powdery blue skies and sunshine reflecting on the snow (About a inch fell last night)
    Co. Leitrim.

Advertisement