Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BGW and DGW 20/21 Discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Team I’ll be aiming for over the next few weeks for GW19 BB

Mendy (Meslier)

TAA Chilwell Coufal (Allioski, Taylor)

Salah, Bruno, Walcott, Benrahma (KdB)

Bamford, Adams, Watkins

-20point so 6 transfers to get to that. Can build towards which will be -8pts before then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have my first half of season wildcard left and have to use it by GW16. I am therefore thinking about loading my team with DGW players for GW16, GW17 & GW19. In GW18, I can use my free hit.

Thoughts on this strategy lads?

The teams with doubles (by my checking, hoping not missing anyone) are Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, West Brom, Leeds, Burnley, West Ham, Southampton, Man United & Fulham.

I already have 9 players from those teams that I'm fairly happy with:

McCarthy
    KWP
    Justin
    Coufal
    Dallas
    Fernandes
    Salah
    Anguissa
    Che Adams

I'm happy enough to bring in Bamford, potentially Ziyech or Pulisic, get back Chilwell, possibly Robertson or TAA and then probably Mane to go alongside these. Potentially Rashford or Vardy too.

A West Brom defender will be good as well going forward as they have brought in Big Sam whose first move will be to make them hard to break down.

Son is arguably the only player of my current team that I wouldn't take out who doesn't have a DGW but they play Sheff Utd that week anyway.

McCarthy (Martin)
    Dier, Justin, Dallas, Coufal, KWP
    KDB, Salah, Son, Fernandes, Anguissa
    Wilson, Adams, DCL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Having overthunk it every year and regretting desperate outcomes, my plan is to do nothing and have maybe 2 starters in gw18 and whatever turns up in GW19. It seems to pay off for other casual players so why stress over it for the next month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Having overthunk it every year and regretting desperate outcomes, my plan is to do nothing and have maybe 2 starters in gw18 and whatever turns up in GW19. It seems to pay off for other casual players so why stress over it for the next month?

I am still going with my tactic of not using BB or Free Hit seems no need.

In the past the BB does not seem to get much points anyway. 20 points in or around if you are lucky.
    I have the feeling not going bench boost and FH might be the way to get a jump on all the overplanners and DGW frenzy later in the season. Even if I do BB/FH when a core of teams have nice single gameweeks against West Brom/Fulham/Leeds it could be the better way.

How many times have people gone for DGW players and the ignored single gameweek players do far better? I think about 7 DGW players for gw19 seems about right unless someone can convince me otherwise between now and then.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I am still going with my tactic of not using BB or Free Hit seems no need.

In the past the BB does not seem to get much points anyway. 20 points in or around if you are lucky.
    I have the feeling not going bench boost and FH might be the way to get a jump on all the overplanners and DGW frenzy later in the season. Even if I do BB/FH when a core of teams have nice single gameweeks against West Brom/Fulham/Leeds it could be the better way.

How many times have people gone for DGW players and the ignored single gameweek players do far better? I think about 7 DGW players for gw19 seems about right unless someone can convince me otherwise between now and then.

It totally depends on your team. There isn't one right strategy.

The DGWBB works for me as little Spurs/City and hard to get in

I think I can only remember WC BB and TC working once properly for me when Sanchez got a lot of points for Arsenal. I am not sure the FH chip was on the go then it was only introduced for the 2017/2018 season.

What seems to happen every year is a core of fpl players all use the BB/FH wildcard at the same time. Then later in the season there is always a particular set of fixtures where people say they wish they had BB/FH.

Another poster made a good point that waiting late in the season is normally a bad tactic, rotation - teams on the beach etc. It is a fair argument as half of the team picked seems to backfire. Waiting for a nice set of fixtures sometime before then and after gw19 could be the smart move.

It totally depends on your team. There isn't one right strategy.

The DGWBB works for me as little Spurs/City and hard to get in

Fair point. Spurs and City look like definite teams to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Is the GW30+ BGW because of the FA Cup? So it could be similar to this one with less than 5 games happening. I suppose the call is to see if its possible to hold the Free hit now or not. And to decide now as all transfers would have to have the blank & double in mind. Will probably just FH and hope for the best later in the aseaos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I will probably free hit for the five games then bench boost for the 15 games .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I think I can only remember WC BB and TC working once properly for me when Sanchez got a lot of points for Arsenal. I am not sure the FH chip was on the go then it was only introduced for the 2017/2018 season.

What seems to happen every year is a core of fpl players all use the BB/FH wildcard at the same time. Then later in the season there is always a particular set of fixtures where people say they wish they had BB/FH.

Another poster made a good point that waiting late in the season is normally a bad tactic, rotation - teams on the beach etc. It is a fair argument as half of the team picked seems to backfire. Waiting for a nice set of fixtures sometime before then and after gw19 could be the smart move.

Struggling to get the energy to figure all this out.

Have to agree with the above, bench boost has always been the most overrated chip of them all.

Like an old drunk sleeping in the corner I wake up around this time every year to mumble "bench boost only gives you 4 extra players, and they are your 4 cheapest players" before dozing off again.

Since it came in it seems to always get merged with general DGW play and the 15 DGW player fantasy. I still even see it a bit scanning this thread.

But what's actually putting me off BB for GW19 is that I don't see the goalkeeper, 2 cheap defs and a cheap mid or forward that I fancy making an effort and focusing my precious transfers to get in.

I'm a born again casual, so forgive me for lecturing the serious players here, but my basic beliefs about BB is that it's generally best used soon after a wildcard as that avoids the unseen cost of using transfers to get cheap bench players lined up. Whereas you can sort those a part of a WC with an imminent BB in mind - either on a SGW or a DGW by the way, the quality of the fixtures for the cheapies is generally more important than the quantity.

It's very over rated as I said already. Getting 15 to 20 points from those 4 extra player who would otherwise not be in your first 11 would be a superb return. Saw someone say they got 50 from it and if that's genuine it's close to a miracle.

• Advertisement

FHFC wrote: »
    Struggling to get the energy to figure all this out.

It's very over rated as I said already. Getting 15 to 20 points from those 4 extra player who would otherwise not be in your first 11 would be a superb return. Saw someone say they got 50 from it and if that's genuine it's close to a miracle.

Ya thats Joe Bloggs who plays Bisoumma and had Salah on his bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I’m new enough to Fantasy (well new to doing it and changing it every week anyway) so I’ve stupidly used my free hit on a random week earlier in the season..

So I’m unsure what to do with the upcoming BGW and DGW. I’ve only about 4 players currently due to play in GW18. But I’m happy enough with my team at the moment and don’t want to go messing with it too much. Would it be stupid to just basically sacrifice GW18 to keep my team similar to what it is and hopefully reap the rewards in GW19? Maybe I’ll use a few free transfers in the coming weeks to get me up to around 7 players playing on GW18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Bit way out but there's plenty of point scorers for all those teams, load of on a big front 7 for one week and a budget defence

Not even looking at budget you've got

Darlow
    Konsa Lamptey Stones
    Son PEA Zaha KDB Grealish
    Aguero DCL

You've Kane to consider too if you can shoehorn him in there, maybe take a Neto in midfield. You've PVA, Reguilion, Digne, if ya prefer to go bigger at the back

Am really only starting to think about Skinny GW18 and DGW19 properly now.....

Here is my current squad - OR 1.4M O.1 ITB
    Martinez Steer
    Zouma Stones KWP Ogbonna Lamptey
    Fernandes Salah Son Grealish Soucek
    DCL Kane Bamford

Have 2FT currently....players who I would lose value on if I sold them and wanted them back later iykwim are Grealish (.2) Bamford (.2) Kane (.1)
    Some players look at that as making money when transferring them out ....I don't:).....overall am disappointed with my OR thus far this Season ....was on wrong side of a few Capt decisions that didn't work out and usual transfer hard luck stories we all have....sold Son the week before his massive haul....got him back in after it again :(

Am happy enough with my squad as it is for the Festive fixtures as all are starting for their teams bar fodder keeper.

But for the upcoming skinny GW18 would currently only have 3 players!...straightaway that would suggest using the Free Hit and build towards a decent squad for the DGW by using normal transfers between now and then.

Sorry for long post.....in a nutshell, after looking at my squad would ya be inclined to go with free hit for the skinny GW and put together a crack outfit like Shedite 27 has illustrated above for the Skinny GW and bring in a few lads from likes of Leicester and Leeds and a second playing keeper for the DGW?

Thanks for any thoughts....

Sorry for long post.....in a nutshell, after looking at my squad would ya be inclined to go with free hit for the skinny GW and put together a crack outfit like Shedite 27 has illustrated above for the Skinny GW and bring in a few lads from likes of Leicester and Leeds and a second playing keeper for the DGW?

Thanks for any thoughts....

Yes, Lamptey can make way.

I dont know if you need a second keeper, as that is 0.5 and 2 transfers (unless you move to rotating longer term)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Yes, Lamptey can make way.

I dont know if you need a second keeper, as that is 0.5 and 2 transfers (unless you move to rotating longer term)

Thanks for reply...yeah I get your thinking on just staying with Martinez until Villas fixtures take a serious turn for the worse around GW31.
    He has 3 tough fixtures over Xmas but Villas defence is pretty solid at the mo.
    What do you think of my squad going into Xmas period? Have to use 1 FT this week or will lose it.Considering dumping Zouma as Chelsea are a bit brittle at the back at mo and bringing in someone with nice fixtures and potential for some assists like Alioski or Dallas from Leeds.
    Plus Leeds defenders are fun to own!:)

Free hit in BGW 18 then dead-end to the BGW later in the season with a view to using the second WC to rectify the damage? Trying to transfer people in for a BGW now is not ideal as I am really happy with my team.

Thanks for reply...yeah I get your thinking on just staying with Martinez until Villas fixtures take a serious turn for the worse around GW31.
    He has 3 tough fixtures over Xmas but Villas defence is pretty solid at the mo.
    What do you think of my squad going into Xmas period? Have to use 1 FT this week or will lose it.Considering dumping Zouma as Chelsea are a bit brittle at the back at mo and bringing in someone with nice fixtures and potential for some assists like Alioski or Dallas from Leeds.
    Plus Leeds defenders are fun to own!:)

Zouma has the best DGW, so I would keep him.

Your team is in good shape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

That was me, I remember someone on twitter took a screenshot of it and found it. It was 46points with no messing around putting Salah type players on the bench. Not sure if it's a miracle as it was a double game week, I'd be expecting around 25 normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Dearg81 wrote: »
    That was me, I remember someone on twitter took a screenshot of it and found it. It was 46points with no messing around putting Salah type players on the bench. Not sure if it's a miracle as it was a double game week, I'd be expecting around 25 normally.

That’s a monster score! We’re all 15 players on a dgw? My only problem with gw 19 is I have son, Dias, Grealish and Martinez (4 players) who I want to keep, which would mean 11 dgws and 4 single gw players on a bench boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    That’s a monster score! We’re all 15 players on a dgw? My only problem with gw 19 is I have son, Dias, Grealish and Martinez (4 players) who I want to keep, which would mean 11 dgws and 4 single gw players on a bench boost.

I think the 3 spurs lads were the only single gw players. I remember Spurs played Brighton and Eriksen scored with a couple of minutes left which cost the bench boost around 10 points I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think I'll use the BB with the second wildcard. Whether that wildcard is DGW related or not that's when it will be used. Then unwanted fat can be trimmed.

I've tried many ways of not using the FH on the upcoming blank gameweek but it usually ends with too few players and a difficulty in getting the likes of KDB without sacrificing form players.

So FH it is. And I'm building towards an 11 with some double weekers on the DGW which doesnt involve ripping at my team. Hope to pre gain the points BBers might get.

Dearg81 wrote: »

That's some serious jam!! :)

Although you could possibly quibble whether Valery would be starting 11 ahead of Trippier. Or maybe he had a double and Trips didn't?

Edit:. Already covered I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Anyone else considering BB gw19 and no chip gw18? Would be able to get 9 players for gw18 and then 9/10dgw for gw19 for a hit or two. I think 9 players for gw18 is plenty, as long as you have some or all of;

Kdb
    Son
    Kane
    Grealish
    DCL
    City defender
    Spurs defender

You're not going to get punished too badly.

Then keep 5 or 6 of the above for a gw19 BB with 9 dgw. I think that'll be my approach, save the free hit in case of emergency later in the season. Anyone else taking this approach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I had a bench boost of 56 points one year. It was the year we all hit the jackpot!

This was the thread if anyone wants to relive some good DGW memories! :: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057586034

My bench was Mignolet, Sturridge, Spacecraft and Darmian (mignolet and Darmian didnt even play the first game, but they came good in the second lol)

178 points and a GW rank of 2.9k and i wasnt even close to the best on boards. I havent read the whole thread yet myself, but I see Mr.P had 195

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I just cannot see any players to justify transfers for this. I have 7 BGW and 23 DGW. Once I shift Wilson that might alter a bit but I cannot see anything worth doing. Likely free hit on bgw and go from yhere. Use the B&B later in the season.

• Advertisement

Surprised not to see any mention that of Ben Crellins tweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Go with the flow / whatever team is Gw18 probably 7-8

Free Hit GW 19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wildcard in GW25 with TC in GW26 so or just a wildcard in GW26....

Wow, might have all my chips gone by 26. That'd be a first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Rikand wrote: »
    I had a bench boost of 56 points one year. It was the year we all hit the jackpot!

This was the thread if anyone wants to relive some good DGW memories! :: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057586034

My bench was Mignolet, Sturridge, Spacecraft and Darmian (mignolet and Darmian didnt even play the first game, but they came good in the second lol)

178 points and a GW rank of 2.9k and i wasnt even close to the best on boards. I havent read the whole thread yet myself, but I see Mr.P had 195

I triple captained Rom. He blanked in both games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

siblers wrote: »
    I triple captained Rom. He blanked in both games

I will never forget that one because it’s the only time I’ve ever made a mistake and not confirmed my transfers or a chip or something.

I had put the treble captain on him but I forgot to press save and my one sole moment of casual life saved me in a colossal way because I think it was Sanchez I TCed later in the year for a great return.

MR NINE wrote: »
    Anyone else considering BB gw19 and no chip gw18? Would be able to get 9 players for gw18 and then 9/10dgw for gw19 for a hit or two. I think 9 players for gw18 is plenty, as long as you have some or all of;

Kdb
    Son
    Kane
    Grealish
    DCL
    City defender
    Spurs defender

You're not going to get punished too badly.

Then keep 5 or 6 of the above for a gw19 BB with 9 dgw. I think that'll be my approach, save the free hit in case of emergency later in the season. Anyone else taking this approach?

If you have 9/10 DGW for 19 why would you BB? What would your bench be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Might try avoid BB for GW19 if I can plan properly
    Love this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Going by Crellin's tweet, the league Cup final will now be GW33, those teams league fixtures would likely move to DGW26 (or else their fixtures from GW1. That would result in the following DGW's depending on who makes the final:
    Spurs V BUR/ful
    City V WHU/SOU or WHU/AVL
    Utd V che/lee or che/bur

There's a few Triple Captain options there.

I think I'm confirming in my mind that I'm going to build to a DGW team in 19 and Free Hit for the blank in 18. It's the only time there'll be a blank and double back to back so gets you out of that situation.

I'll then have 7 weeks until the next DGW so loads of time to plan for that.

Then 2 weeks to the next BGW, and another 5 until the following BGW, and another 4 to the next DGW. Throw in a wildcard and all those should be fine to navigate.

I think I'm confirming in my mind that I'm going to build to a DGW team in 19 and Free Hit for the blank in 18. It's the only time there'll be a blank and double back to back so gets you out of that situation.

I'll then have 7 weeks until the next DGW so loads of time to plan for that.

Then 2 weeks to the next BGW, and another 5 until the following BGW, and another 4 to the next DGW. Throw in a wildcard and all those should be fine to navigate.

I'm thinking the same. Ive only 4 or 5 for 18 and not sure I want to start building a team specifically for 18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

If you have 9/10 DGW for 19 why would you BB? What would your bench be?

Non DGW players would likely be;

Martinez (EVE)
    Dier (shu)
    Cancelo (CRY)
    Grealish (EVE)
    Son (shu)
    DCL (avl)

I think that's a strong enough group to warrant a BB. Think it's a bit of an overrated chip, if I can get 20 points from my 4 bench players I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

What is the prevailing thought on GW 18 & 19

Is it better to have a full team on GW18 or have a complete team of Double Gamers for GW 19

I'm pretty happy with my side as it is, aside from needed Pool cover which i should have by GW 17

P.S is the ability to toggle between gameweeks gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I feel it's going to be harder than usual to make ground this year, lockdowns mean people have more time on their hands to manage their team plus less chance of missing deadlines due to being out on the lash the night before.

Chilwell has me leaning towards adding City and Spurs defenders over the next couple of weeks (a long term shout), fielding 11 in the SGW, and then free hitting with 11 DGWers.

Save the bench boost for later and come out of it with a better team.

If United v Burnley gets added as a single gameweek then that’s just a bonus.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Chilwell has me leaning towards adding City and Spurs defenders over the next couple of weeks (a long term shout), fielding 11 in the SGW, and then free hitting with 11 DGWers.

Save the bench boost for later and come out of it with a better team.

If United v Burnley gets added as a single gameweek then that’s just a bonus.

May do the same. Not sure which City defender to go for though

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Dias not the most nailed? Or maybe a mini punt on stones to save some cash

I think if you have depth already, then Stones is a good cheap option.

Is getting Stones not a risky strategy? Surely some one more nailed is preferable especially with it being a blank game week

I now am looking at navigating 18 without using free hit, seeing if it’s viable. It will be handy to have that chip for later in the season to make ground, provided I don’t get punished in 18.

At the moment I have:
    Martinez, Lewis, KDB, Grealish, Kane, Brewster. Lewis should play & Brewster will get minutes. I think if I get Dias, Son and one other possibly then the damage may not be too significant. Will obviously have to look and see how this leaves me for DGW 19

Is getting Stones not a risky strategy? Surely some one more nailed is preferable especially with it being a blank game week

I now am looking at navigating 18 without using free hit, seeing if it’s viable. It will be handy to have that chip for later in the season to make ground, provided I don’t get punished in 18.

At the moment I have:
    Martinez, Lewis, KDB, Grealish, Kane, Brewster. Lewis should play & Brewster will get minutes. I think if I get Dias, Son and one other possibly then the damage may not be too significant. Will obviously have to look and see how this leaves me for DGW 19

It’s a little bit risky but I wouldn’t think it in terms of that GW alone. If Stones got 2 clean sheets leading up to that week and then ended up benched that week, I don’t think I could call it a bad decision.

Obviously my hope is that he will play that week too.

It’s a little bit risky but I wouldn’t think it in terms of that GW alone. If Stones got 2 clean sheets leading up to that week and then ended up benched that week, I don’t think I could call it a bad decision.

Obviously my hope is that he will play that week too.

I have Cancelo and thinking of leaving him there too. One gave home V Crytal Palace could outscore DGW defenders. The risk is of course that he'll be dropped.

I have Cancelo and thinking of leaving him there too. One gave home V Crytal Palace could outscore DGW defenders. The risk is of course that he'll be dropped.
    Yeah I don't think getting rid would be a solid strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Yeah I don't think getting rid would be a solid strategy.

Feels like it’s only a matter of time before Cancelo pulls a Laporte type score out of the bag

thunderdog wrote: »
    Feels like it’s only a matter of time before Cancelo pulls a Laporte type score out of the bag
    You mean 0? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

You mean 0? :D

Haha a Laporte haul from a previous season (I hope!)

Advertisement