Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Florentine Centre

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

has anyone heard anything about this lately? Sincerely hope it's not effected by this crisis!

The building site has been closed for months. They will struggle to secure an anchor tenant now.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

The building site has been closed for months. They will struggle to secure an anchor tenant now.

Such a shame! There will be no chainstores left at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why would they struggle now?

It's a delayed project in a delayed economy.

It will be built and the economy will recover again and an anchor will be interested at that time.

Oh yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why would they struggle now?

It's a delayed project in a delayed economy.

It will be built and the economy will recover again and an anchor will be interested at that time.

They have never secured any interest before.

I adnire your extreme optimism about the economy recovering overnight

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

They have never secured any interest before.

I adnire your extreme optimism about the economy recovering overnight

I actually thought i read somewhere that they had secured an anchor.. Has that fallen through?

So the end is in sight it seems.

Florentine Centre is now officially called Bray Central.

https://braycentral.ie/

No word on tenants yet apart from what has already been announced which is odd. According to this Bray People article bulding work completes in November and fit out begins after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

will the cinema be open in time for the next Bond movie - probably depends how many more times the Bond movie is postponed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

So the end is in sight it seems.

Florentine Centre is now officially called Bray Central.

https://braycentral.ie/

No word on tenants yet apart from what has already been announced which is odd. According to this Bray People article bulding work completes in November and fit out begins after that.

"10lane luxury bowling" :pac:

Yes I don't know how Bray is going to support two bowling alleys unless this "luxury bowling" is an entirely different concept.

I'm surprised they haven't named any other shops either as that's planned months in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It’s owned by PressUp right? They own the Stella cinemas so luxury bowling will probably just be bowling with cocktails/wine and nachos instead of coke and sausages/nuggets and chips.

I could see it working, mainly if they did a deal where you got a game of bowling and cinema for a good price.

But awful time to be opening a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Yes I don't know how Bray is going to support two bowling alleys unless this "luxury bowling" is an entirely different concept.

I'm surprised they haven't named any other shops either as that's planned months in advance.

The website listed above reads like a brochure for prospective tenants, so they must be still looking for them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That bowling alley is a guaranteed financial failure, amazing that its going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Thargor wrote: »
    That bowling alley is a guaranteed financial failure, amazing that its going ahead.

Why? (Taking covid out of the equation)

Plenty of people looking for alternative entertainment who would never think of the bowler as somewhere to go.

Cocktails, food and a fun activity.

Also run by a big entertainment group Press-up.

Plenty of people with money in Bray and surrounding areas.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Why? (Taking covid out of the equation)
    Thats a pretty big change to the equation to be fair!

Thats a pretty big change to the equation to be fair!

Well it was planned before Covid.

Might have been cheaper for them to stop and rethink instead of go ahead with a flop and end up doing it anyway, even if a vaccine appeared in the morning nobodies going to want to be sticking their fingers into shared bowling balls for a long time, the whole public mindset has changed, plus the elephant in the room of the massive bowling alley for anyone who wants it a minute around the corner. Its a bizarre decision for a small town like Bray.

plus the elephant in the room of the massive bowling alley for anyone who wants it a minute around the corner.

That's like saying "why would Donnybrook Fair open open opposite Tesco in Greystones"?

They're after 2 different target markets.

That's like saying "why would Donnybrook Fair open open opposite Tesco in Greystones"?

They're after 2 different target markets.
    What target market? Well off bowling enthusiasts who had nowhere to go because they didnt want to mix with the riff-raff down in Bray Bowl? It couldn't be drinkers who like to bowl because everyones been getting hammered on their BYOB any time Ive been in there.

Bray Bowl had a big catchment area with zero competition and it was barely staying afloat, bowling just isnt that popular anymore. I hope Im wrong and its a success against all odds like you think but Covid guarantees its a non-runner now.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Well it was planned before Covid.

I think you might have to look past Covid, its not the end of the world

• Advertisement
Advertisement