Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florentine Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

I would pay a Euro extra not to have to drive to Dun Laoghaire, Stillorgan or Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

fjon wrote: »
    I would pay a Euro extra not to have to drive to Dun Laoghaire, Stillorgan or Dundrum.

You would have to pay for parking in these also plus the cinema in Dun Laoghaire is falling apart.

You would have to pay for parking in these also plus the cinema in Dun Laoghaire is falling apart.

A lot people will more than likely walk...

A lot people will more than likely walk...

I think he means that you need to pay in DL and Dundrum. I think Stillorgan is free.

fjon wrote: »
    I think he means that you need to pay in DL and Dundrum. I think Stillorgan is free.

*Pappa needs more coffee....

Zzz*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

my kids will go to Bray rather than DL for the cinema - 15 mins on the bus rather than 30 mins on the Dart (which is really infrequent from Greystones on the weekends). I'd expect it to do well if it is well run - there's a big catchment area that currently has no cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Really looking forward to having a cinema in Bray again. Hopefully there are normal screens too as rumoured.

It does seem a bit odd that there is no news about an anchor tenant at this stage but the Press Up group are decent operators at least so that's a big plus so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

It does seem a bit odd that there is no news about an anchor tenant at this stage but the Press Up group are decent operators at least so that's a big plus so far.

What are press up group opening there?

foxy06 wrote: »

Looks like they'll be running the cinema and restaurants according to the Oakmount website.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

murpho999 wrote: »
    December is the opening date AFAIK.

So you'd imagine there'd be details now as to what anchor tenants would be there as that all needs to be planned and budgeted well in advance.

I thought it was builders to finish

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

foxy06 wrote: »

The 5 screen cinema (1 of which is high end stella style) and 2 restaurants.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I thought it was builders to finish

I understand it to be open and up and running in December. Makes sense for the busy Christmas period.
    The 5 screen cinema (1 of which is high end stella style) and 2 restaurants.

I heard this rumour as well but nothing has been confirmed from what I can see.
    Personally would prefer a bigger "normal" screen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

December is the opening date AFAIK.

So you'd imagine there'd be details now as to what anchor tenants would be there as that all needs to be planned and budgeted well in advance.

This is Bizarre do they actually have any i wonder? & decent ones at that :pac:

This is Bizarre do they actually have any i wonder? & decent ones at that :pac:

Not yet. They are in negotiations still.

Terry Pratchet

Some updates in last week's Bray People.

Key Points:

No pedestrian access to Florence Road.
    2 Restaurants instead of 3.
    Smaller cinema than originally planned.
    Leisurebox activity not confirmed but probably golf based.

Article

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No pedestrian access to Florence Road.

I really think that's going to kill a few shops on the Florence Road and a kick in the teeth as I imagine the building has had an impact on their takings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Will be interesting to see what this cinema is like now.

Thargor wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what this cinema is like now.

It seems to me that Oakmount have full control over this now and council have little or no say.

Idea of cinema being smaller and possible have one "Stella" like screen is not good for me. Would rather a larger complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/oakmount-begin-retail-led-scheme-in-the-centre-of-bray-1.3804713

Some more updates. 3 anchor stores, one for a supermarket which has already been reserved. Super Valu or Tesco maybe?

Penneys surely must be considering...Bray is the only large 20000+ population town in the country without a Penneys!

"may open as early as spring 2020."

I knew it couldn't be December 2019 as they have previously stated.

Looks like one of the restaurants will be Elephant & Castle.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/oakmount-begin-retail-led-scheme-in-the-centre-of-bray-1.3804713

Some more updates. 3 anchor stores, one for a supermarket which has already been reserved. Super Value or Tesco maybe?

Penneys surely must be considering...Bray is the only large 20000+ population town in the country without a Penneys!

Not sure Tesco or SuperValu would make much sense considering how close they are to that location already. Could see it being a Donnybrook Fair type grocery store potentially but would they be classed as an anchor tenant?

Agreed that a Penneys would seem a no-brainer for the town.

Not sure Tesco or SuperValu would make much sense considering how close they are to that location already. Could see it being a Donnybrook Fair type grocery store potentially but would they be classed as an anchor tenant?

I would completely rule out Tesco given the money they've just recently spent and the renovation of the store.
    I still not convinced Dunnes wouldn't move in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dunnes makes the most sense to move there, two stores that are awkward (parking wise) could be merged and have a dedicated parking source underground, model it after cournelscourt (whelans butcher, Sheridans cheese mongers) and I think it'd be a hit. Would open up two other stores to become nail bars/pound shops too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dunnes makes the most sense to move there, two stores that are awkward (parking wise) could be merged and have a dedicated parking source underground, model it after cournelscourt (whelans butcher, Sheridans cheese mongers) and I think it'd be a hit. Would open up two other stores to become nail bars/pound shops too :pac:

there was some discussion of Dunnes earlier in the thread - they own the 2 stores they're currently in and neither is really suitable to be rented out given the size of them.

How big are the anchor units relative to other stores in Bray? I looked at the planning applications for Aldi and Tesco which suggested they were about 1000m2 and 5000m2 respectively, but I don't think Tesco is actually 5 times the size of Aldi, so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I heard that the issue regarding access to Florence road was due to a local landlord demanding a large sum for that access across his land

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I heard that the issue regarding access to Florence road was due to a local landlord demanding a large sum for that access across his land

Isn't that the same landlord who recently lost his properties to fire?

What I don't understand is that lane beside Hayes Butchers is the access point from the Florence road in question isn't it? If thats the case, it makes little sense anyway being so close to the main Access point from the Mainstreet. I also assume there will be access to the underground carpark from Florence Road at either or both the current site access points on Florence road. Why can't pedestrian access be added via a partitioned pathway into the carparking area with escalator access to the plaza like you see in Carrickmines. However, the more you think about it, even that doesn't make sense for the Florence Road traders because it would mean folks coming from the Seafront quarter of Bray would enter the Florentine before passing the shops on Florence road. No pedestrian access on Florence road actually ensures pedestrians have to walk past all the Florence road traders. That reminds me of the comments of a previous poster here or Bray Open Forum on Facebook (I can't remember which) who pointed out that the only 'Impulse' trader on the Florence Road is Dealz anyway. To my mind, only Dealz are likely to be affected in a measurable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they hadn't located in Bray years ago.

Penneys are cheap - which means teenagers (say 13-16 year-olds) can manage to buy their stuff.

Teenagers aren't able to drive to Dundrum.

It's not that convenient to get to Dundrum by public transport.

Oldies like me may prefer to shop in aul wans' shops like M&S, but the cheap bargains in Penneys mean it's easy for people to make spontaneous purchases - I could easily spend €10 regularly on bits and pieces.

Bray is a lovely lovely place, but it's not Foxrock or Ballsbridge.

Lots of customers, lots of sales.

News on the centre has been slow and it appears so has development.

Announced today that opening has been delayed till June 2020. Not too bad.

Still no word on stores apart from Stella Cinema and Elephant & Castle which are owned by Oakmount.

I find it strange that it's not known at this stage who's moving in. Supermarket chains would have business plans and budgets to adhere to so I do wonder what is going on

Link to Article.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

News on the centre has been slow and it appears so has development.

Announced today that opening has been delayed till June 2020. Not too bad.

Still no word on stores apart from Stella Cinema and Elephant & Castle which are owned by Oakmount.

I find it strange that it's not known at this stage who's moving in. Supermarket chains would have business plans and budgets to adhere to so I do wonder what is going on

Link to Article.

Who know's what they are charging for rent id say something like Sport's Direct or TKMaxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

has anyone heard anything about this lately? Sincerely hope it's not effected by this crisis!

Advertisement