Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Restaurant Recommendation thread

Options
  • 28-01-2020 11:32am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After a suggestion by a couple of users in the New Businesses thread, we decided we'd try out a restaurant thread for Dublin 15 and nearby and see how it goes!

Let's hear your restaurant recommendations for your favourites or new discoveries in the area. The more details the better so give an idea of prices, opening hours etc. if you know them.

You can post negative experiences but only if they are your own experience, not a friend of a friend said...etc. Don't name any staff members in these and keep it factual to avoid defamatory posts.

Although it's the Dublin 15 forum, you can post about places that are easily accessible from here but happen to be outside the postcode as well.

Let's hear some yummy suggestions...

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm a big fan of the Thai Garden early bird menu during the week, €17.25 for a two course delicious meal. The options on it never change but we always enjoy what we order. It's available up to 7pm Monday - Thursday as far as I remember. I always go for the chicken satay skewers or the veg spring rolls to start and the pad thai (no one matches their pad thai) or the beef and ginger stir fry for mains. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

AlanG wrote: »
    Musashi is very good although I'm not sure about their kids offering.

Is that the Japanese inside the centre? My kids love all types of Japanese food. I suppose I’m more thinking of decent evening dining options where you can also have a glass of wine outside the centre after shopping or the cinema, or even a nice lunch. Never find I can switch off from the bustle inside the centre!!

Plenty of good options in Blanchardstown village but nothing around the Centre itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Totally agree on Thai Garden. Love their pad thai and it’s brilliant value. I’m not that keen on the setting and it’s a bit cramped but the food is excellent.

We go to Browne’s every two or three months or so and the staff always remember us and are super friendly. We were there recently and one of them asked us about something we mentioned last time we were there. Good service like that keeps us going back for more.

Taro Noodle & Sushi Bar in Ongar is a great spot for v cheap lunches, casual dining or eating with kids. It’s also BYOB with a small corkage charge for wine and beer.
    Huge range of sushi, shashimi, bento boxes, tempura and noodle dishes.
    Lunch specials from €7 including weekends.
    It’s main business is takeaway but has a small dining area for eating in (similar to the set up in the Blue Elephant).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hole in the Wall on blackhorse avenue is always a good bet, it's D7 but just a few mins drive from Castleknock.
    The indian/pakistani in castleknock is very good too, Okra green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fiddle Castro

+1 for the Thai Garden.

Vagya above the Roselawn is one of my favourites locally, good early bird too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Old thread here that may give additional suggestions:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057590375
    sweetie wrote: »
    Hole in the Wall on blackhorse avenue is always a good bet, it's D7 but just a few mins drive from Castleknock.

Used to always enjoy the Hole in the Wall for Sunday lunch, nice food and atmosphere with available parking but a recent visit left me disappointed. There was a noticeable increase in prices with no set menus for 2/3 courses and the value they ensured, service was also poor so won’t be returning.

La Mora restaurant in Luttrellstown golf club used to do an amazing Sunday lunch but it changed management last year and increased prices 20%. Haven’t been back since but may still be one of the better options as difficult to get a good Sun lunch offering in the area.

Old thread here that may give additional suggestions:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057590375

Used to always enjoy the Hole in the Wall for Sunday lunch, nice food and atmosphere with available parking but a recent visit left me disappointed. There was a noticeable increase in prices with no set menus for 2/3 courses and the value they ensured, service was also poor so won’t be returning.

La Mora restaurant in Luttrellstown golf club used to do an amazing Sunday lunch but it changed management last year and increased prices 20%. Haven’t been back since but may still be one of the better options as difficult to get a good Sun lunch offering in the area.

yes, they did stop the sunday set menu but we were there last week on a monday and the food and service was good despite using a pigsback voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Thai Garden is the best restaurant in D15 in my experience. A group of 10 of us were there at the weekend and we stayed for longer than intended and they didn't rush us. The food was top quality and the bill was quite reasonable.

I like the Anglers too for a treat, it can be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Vagya above the Roselawn is one of my favourites locally, good early bird too.

Yagya is delish! Spice of India in Clonsilla is decent too, usually a Groupon for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Maximilians beside SuperValu is the best restaurant in D15. Honorable mentions for Vagya and Thai Garden.

12th Lock is good for casual eats but the service is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Black Wolf does great bar food and a wide selection.

Several others have mentioned Maximilian’s. They regularly feature on pigsback and do a really good value 2 course lunch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

If anyone is going to Maximillians soon. Get the seafood linguine. One of the best seafood dishes I've had in Ireland. Very filling. €22.50 or so. As mentioned, their voucher is currently on pigsback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Maximillian’s is a great bet and as mentioned often a deal available with a voucher. I didn’t like the restaurant he (the owner) opened across the street in the old bank premises the two times I was in it, but I might give it another go also.

Browne’s is fantastic for the service and the consistency. The staff make it. There was a string of restaurants that came and went and since it became the steakhouse it has been a staple of the village and always busy, but they’ll always find you a table.

Black Wolf is very good if you’re a fan of a craft pint with your food. I love going in early in the evening for grub and a few pints and getting back to the dog and the telly before it gets mental. Popular spot all round.

The Anglers Rest is a very peaceful spot with lovely food.

The Paddocks and their famous desert menu. In fact their entire menu is vast and consistently good. Sometimes they have mad music blaring in the place but go during a match and it’s a good spot.

For carvery lovers... Out of the way - actually just over the border in Meath from Hollystown - is Sweeneys of Kilbride. Shuttle bus up and down to the local area when you ring them. Their Sunday carvery is A1. The do an ultimate one that’ll keep you going till Tuesday.

There’s quite a few Indian restaurants in the area. But none will ever best the Shimla in its heyday. My god they could do spice. Currently I’m somewhere between preferring Spice of India - in the old Shimla premises on the Clonsilla road - and Delhi Darbar in clonee.

Jaysus when you think about it we are spoilt! These are just the options that jump up to the top of my list.

Something I can’t put my finger on tho - a great breakfast spot in D15?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'll stick a shout out for Castleknock Hotel. Very accessible, only a few minutes drive from the centre. Used to be average at best but over the last few years I've found they have improved the quality of the food and it's been a long time since I left dissapinted. The golf club on the same grounds is also open to the public and offer a decent menu, although their quality is not at the level it once was and their prices have grown :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Going to try out Musashi for the first time at the weekend - looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Nijmegen wrote: »

I've had a lovely brunch at Rudys in Blanch village a couple of times...some interesting dishes.

Also, for a little bit of a spin outside D15, Caldwells in Dunboyne does lovely breakfasts and brunch. Dunboyne is nearer in driving time to Ongar/west D15 than Castleknock. A couple of other cafes do decent breakfasts there as well but Caldwells is the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Douglas and Kaldi in Rathborne do a nice breakfast and brunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Avoca, 10/15 minutes away on the Dunboyne road is good for breakfasts, if you go fairly early before it gets busy at the weekends. Pricey of course, but fine big portions. Nice for a special treat, but probably too expensive to go every weekend tbh. Rendezvouz in Ongar for a more reasonably priced option :) Fine plates of food there too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Avoca, 10/15 minutes away on the Dunboyne road is good for breakfasts, if you go fairly early before it gets busy at the weekends. Pricey of course, but fine big portions. Nice for a special treat, but probably too expensive to go every weekend tbh. Rendezvouz in Ongar for a more reasonably priced option :) Fine plates of food there too!

Their pizzas from the van out the back are the best in the general D15 area by a long way.

miamee wrote: »
    Going to try out Musashi for the first time at the weekend - looking forward to it.

We ended up going to Shibuyashi in the village instead yesterday. At 4.30pm we were the only people in there. The service was great, the food was all fresh and delicious. I had a Seafood Futomayaki 10pc, one sister had a different sushi and sashimi selection (can't remember what it was called) and second sister had a beef teriyaki. The two sushi dishes were amazing as were the Ebi Tempura and Pork Gyoza starters that we shared. My sister thought her teriyaki was 'ok' but not amazing but I didn't have a taste myself so I can't verify that.

2 starters, 3 mains, 1 glass wine and 2 beers came to €80.

I'd definitely go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Rudys already mentioned has a decent Brunch.
    I am not a huge fan of 12th lock overall but their brunch used to be decent , they had a cornbeef hash that was great and if I recall correctly a decent drink and brunch offer.

Douglas and Kaldi is a little boring but on a nice sunny day a great location to enjoy a smoothie and watch the canal float by.

Although for brunch I usally pop into nearby D7 , so many great choices , either in phibsboro or Stoney Batter.

Also not a million miles away is Jamestown social in Finglas village is decent , their special Jamestown toast is a must have on any brunch aficionados list.

Rudys already mentioned has a decent Brunch.
    I am not a huge fan of 12th lock overall but their brunch used to be decent , they had a cornbeef hash that was great and if I recall correctly a decent drink and brunch offer.

Douglas and Kaldi is a little boring but on a nice sunny day a great location to enjoy a smoothie and watch the canal float by.

Although for brunch I usally pop into nearby D7 , so many great choices , either in phibsboro or Stoney Batter.

Also not a million miles away is Jamestown social in Finglas village is decent , their special Jamestown toast is a must have on any brunch aficionados list.

Where do you recommend in D7 for brunch? We really miss Cotto. Wuff is the good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

sweetie wrote: »
    Where do you recommend in D7?

Hard to beat Clarke’s on New Cabra Road, for a good traditional Fry-up.
    Woodstock, in Phibsborough is great for Lunch and Dinner. They also do Take-Away and half portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

We ended up going to Shibuyashi in the village instead yesterday. At 4.30pm we were the only people in there. The service was great, the food was all fresh and delicious. I had a Seafood Futomayaki 10pc, one sister had a different sushi and sashimi selection (can't remember what it was called) and second sister had a beef teriyaki. The two sushi dishes were amazing as were the Ebi Tempura and Pork Gyoza starters that we shared. My sister thought her teriyaki was 'ok' but not amazing but I didn't have a taste myself so I can't verify that.

2 starters, 3 mains, 1 glass wine and 2 beers came to €80.

I'd definitely go back.

Happy days, I keep meaning to give it a go. Will pop in for lunch early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Oh great thread; I need to try Thai Garden and Shibuyashi by the sounds of it.

Anglers Rest is my probably my fav local restaurant, their seafood is just delish. Pricey though.
    I like the Black Wolf for drinks.

Vue at Castleknock Gold Club is very reasonable and very under promoted, they do live music some weekends too. It’s great for a family occasion; we had our baby’s christening dinner there and we were very happy.
    The Castleknock Hotel itself used to be a disaster service wise but it seems to have improved recently, as has their menu. But your paying hotel prices. Their terrace area is lovely on a sunny day.

Rudy’s is lovely; its modern and looks like a city café, lovely menu too. Maximillion is fab too (think they have the same owners, I could be wrong).
    The Bettlenut Café in Draoicht theatre is lovely for breakfast/lunch and never too busy. It has a small area with toys so ideal if you have smallies. Its only 2 minutes from Penny’s in the centre, but without all the hustle and bustle. I like Avoca Dunboyne for breakfast too.
    12th Lock has such potential but I just am never overly blown away. My Mum stayed there during the summer and said the breakfast was the worst she’d ever had (and she wouldn’t have crazy high expectations).

We go to Esquires for coffee a lot, handy parking and the décor is lovely. Also like Coffee Works in Blanch village for coffee, the girls in there are v nice.
    Not strictly Dublin 15 but the pizza and coffee from the Goats Gruff’s van (opposite The Strawberry Hall) is lovely too.

I hadn't heard of Goat's Gruff, that's a new one to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I hadn't heard of Goat's Gruff, that's a new one to check out.

Drive-in Coffee and Pizzas, located at the Strawberry Hall, Car Park, definitely one to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭choo choo man

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Drive-in Coffee and Pizzas, located at the Strawberry Hall, Car Park, definitely one to try.

The Goats Gruff were doing a pizza and a pint deal on Thursdays during January. Not too sure if they carried it into February?

Advertisement