Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shannon radar down again.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I wonder if we could order these radar parts and stick 'em to our SKY dishes? Probably do a better job than that useless Shannon radar.

If we could get businesses around the country to sponsor X band radars (~50 km range) at probably around €10k each they could get publicity and we could get good radar coverage overland. For looking out over the Atlantic S band would give the greatest range (~300km) but also at the greatest cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

An FOI request has been put in and a Parliamentary question is also being submitted by a TD so hopefully we'll get some more information soon, the lack of communication is very frustrating and I'm wondering if they actually have started plans to add more radars and what stage that is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Villain wrote: »
    An FOI request has been put in and a Parliamentary question is also being submitted by a TD so hopefully we'll get some more information soon, the lack of communication is very frustrating and I'm wondering if they actually have started plans to add more radars and what stage that is at.

I asked Eamon O'Cuiv to persue this. I will report back when I hear more.

I am not sure why it would need an FOI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Working again on the old website since 15.45

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Doesn't seem to be live on the newer site yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Being a public service organisation it'll probably require several years of planning, multiple redesigns, delays and false starts before we hit a recession and the upgrade is shelved for another decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Being a public service organisation it'll probably require several years of planning, multiple redesigns, delays and false starts before we hit a recession and the upgrade is shelved for another decade.

Fortgot to mention getting an end of life model that will be obsollete in 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Comhra wrote: »

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Doesn't seem to be live on the newer site yet.

Thanks for the link, didn't realise that the old site was still available. So much better than the current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Originally Posted by Comhra View Post
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, didn't realise that the old site was still available. So much better than the current one.

Probably left up to keep the Boards crowd from moaning and griping.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Which TD would that be ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Spot the difference, same organization, same day, same time, different radar:

495786.JPG

495787.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Comhra wrote: »
    Probably left up to keep the Boards crowd from moaning and griping.....:)

Worth every moan and gripe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

... the lack of communication is very frustrating...

While the radar is a mess, to be fair there is no lack of communication. Their website says that it would be out until at least the 3rd week in November at the earliest and that any updates would be posted there. There are obviously no updates yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

While the radar is a mess, to be fair there is no lack of communication. Their website says that it would be out until at least the 3rd week in November at the earliest and that any updates would be posted there. There are obviously no updates yet.

The frustrating lack of communication is regarding the radar network upgrade plans.
    "Met Éireann has already commenced planning for a major programme to expand and modernise the Irish weather radar network."

That's all we have from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Rougies wrote: »
    The frustrating lack of communication is regarding the radar network upgrade plans.

That's all we have from them.

They said that years ago. Regarding our "moans & gripes". For some the radar is a luxury, a little extra. For others it's a daily essential that can effect how much we earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I mean an update that says what the ongoing issues are, this isn't the first time it has been down and if as suspected that it is due to old hardware that parts are hard to secure or what is the issue.

Also what the plans are for a new radar with some timelines, my FOI request is to the department to see if there is any detail on funds being allocated and any potential issues that may delay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭The_Outsider

Great to see it back!

I really hope that plans for a permanent replacement and upgrade of the network are being executed.
    I look forward to reading the details.

Can nearly hear the muttering of now f*ck off and stop complaining under the breath as the tweet went out
    Tweet at 10.15 Attn: All Shannon Radar Users
    The radar is now working under normal scheduling as before and available online at http://met.ie since 09:45 Z this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Anyone running a book as to when it goes down next ?

Based on the past performance, my money would be down again before Christmas, lets hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

SlowBlowin wrote: »

Based on the past performance, my money would be down again before Christmas, lets hope not.

Don't jynx it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

Just as a deep low pressure approaches from the south whilst we are several days in to a deep easterly in early January with a screaming northerly trying its best to push back the impending blizzard but to no avail.

Hasn't been raining over in Shannon today so lets see what happens when the next heavey rain front moves over it

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

From looking at the Met Éireann app a few minutes ago, it appears the Shannon radar could be back online? Fingers crossed it stays working now for awhile...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Carol25 wrote: »
    From looking at the Met Éireann app a few minutes ago, it appears the Shannon radar could be back online? Fingers crossed it stays working now for awhile...

It is, and has been discussed in the posts immediately previous to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It is, and has been discussed in the posts immediately previous to yours.

Whoops, apologies. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So plenty have been following this thread! :)

So plenty have been following this thread! :)

Met also getting asked questions on twitter as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Power failures and overheating cause long-term outages at Ireland's 'most important' weather radar https://jrnl.ie/4908856

Live now. A few FOI requests to get the real picture.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Power failures and overheating cause long-term outages at Ireland's 'most important' weather radar https://jrnl.ie/4908856

Live now. A few FOI requests to get the real picture.
    What a joke

Advertisement