Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why no movies about 1916?

• 19-04-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭

Just wondering given

a) The centenary
    b) How many movies are out commemorating practicallly anything these days

Why they arent doing anything movie-wise on the Rising. Seems like a great topic to cover.

Is it the sensitivity etc...didnt stop them with Wind That Shakes Barley. Any theories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I don't think anyone cares about 1916 anymore. I certainly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Phil Mitchell

Probably because they lost. And people would start crying if the story took the British side for the happy ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's simple. Daniel Day Lewis can't to a Scottish accent, and Liam Neeson can't do an Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

*coughs*

Liam Neeson was in one.

\movie production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No happy ending.

Everyone dies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Only in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Why no movies about the eastern front in world war two?

There are tonnes of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i can think of 3 stalingrad movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

A blockbuster was made starring Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Leonardo DiCaprio and Denzel Washington as Eamon De Valera.

However, at the premier in Los Angeles Iwasfrozen chained himself to the railings outside and Lord Sutch showed up with a "Down with this sort of thing" sign.

The whole project had to be cancelled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Any you would recommend?

Stalingrad 1, Stalingrad 2 and Stalingrad 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Young Indiana Jones fought in 1916 alongside Sean Lemass.

I saw it on TV so it's true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Any you would recommend?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/ this one

havent seen enemy at the gates in a few years so not sure on that one

stalingrad 2013 i do not recommend but it has some cool cgi sequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Some decent 1916 related films you might have missed

Michael Collins by Neil Jordan

The Treaty (more to do with 1921, than 16 but worth a watch as it deals with the aftermath of the rising and the treaty which divided the country and sent us into a civil war.

Insurrection eight part series depicting the rising, made in 1966 - havent had the pleasure of seeing it but i've heard it was excellent, would be surprised if RTE didnt show it next year at some point before easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Wouldn't have a good enough ending for the cinema,unless they make an alternate ending where the g.p.o is secretly an alien spaceship and they CGI it lifting off towards the end of the fighting,the leaders of the rising are now on a planet with Elvis and 2pac

It might work. I mean Michael Collins and The Wind that Shakes the Barley did really well internationally. So it isn't so much to say that there is no interest, because there would be if the story is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just wondering given

a) The centenary
    b) How many movies are out commemorating practicallly anything these days

Why they arent doing anything movie-wise on the Rising. Seems like a great topic to cover.

Is it the sensitivity etc...didnt stop them with Wind That Shakes Barley. Any theories?

Maybe its because in the grand scheme of things, the rising was a very small event which took place during a very turbulent war in Europe where millions of men died fighting, not least the fifty thousand Irish men who died on the continent between 1914-1918. The Easter Rising itself was in reality a very small blip on the landscape (of world affairs at that time), hence there are much bigger stories to tell about the period.

Two Big films about the rising; The wind that shakes the barley & Michael Collins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Here's a couple of decent ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_%282008_film%29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The Wind That Shakes the Barley is set from 1920 onwards, and is far more about the war of independence and following civil war.

The 1916 rising isn't really a major part of the story at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

These films can be hijacked by political interests who ruin an enjoyable watch by claiming it is not authentic or else want to make huge commercial sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,409 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Interesting stat : The potato gun was invented in 1916 by a farmer with a grudge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Because it's boring. I know many of you want to believe it isn't, but it is.

Earthhorse wrote: »

A good film maker can make any story interesting on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Armed insurrection is a boring incident? What do you do to liven things up?

Plenty of WW2 films are boring too. I've heard the Great Escape is a brilliant film however I have still never got round to watching it up to the very end. After 20 minutes it becomes a slog.

A good film maker can make any story interesting on the screen.

They also have an instinct for what makes a good story and what doesn't.
    Armed insurrection is a boring incident? What do you do to liven things up?

Post on boards.
    KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Plenty of WW2 films are boring too. I've heard the Great Escape is a brilliant film however I have still never got round to watching it up to the very end. After 20 minutes it becomes a slog.

I don't remember if it is or isn't but that's possibly more to do with how the pacing and style of cinema has changed since then. But I agree plenty of WW2 films are boring. That doesn't make 1916 particularly interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    After 20 minutes the Germans were 3-0 up but thanks to great performances from Ossie Ardiles, Pele and Rocky the Allies eventually snatch a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

'A Terrible Beauty' is meant to be a decent watch.

http://tilefilms.ie/productions/a-terrible-beauty/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

Isn't Insurrection - the TV series lost or was junked like most Irish/British TV?

After 20 minutes the Germans were 3-0 up but thanks to great performances from Ossie Ardiles, Pele and Rocky the Allies eventually snatch a draw.

Your mixing up the Great Escape with Escape to Victory which was about a soccer match. I prefer that film. It even had a great movie theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jzV1n2nrU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

'A Terrible Beauty' is meant to be a decent watch.

http://tilefilms.ie/productions/a-terrible-beauty/

Fantastic movie style documentary featuring the lesser known Battle of Mount Street where around 17 volunteers held off literally hundreds of Sherwood Forresters.
    OP should definitely watch this one.
    Gives a good perspective from British soldiers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

And thankfully didn't (for once) win the penalty shoot out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

I'm sure these people had passion and fire in their bellies fighting for ireland with their lives

We have keyboard warriors now with dough nuts in theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It would make for a good movie i think. Maybe tell it from the perspective of different people involved in the rising like one of the leaders, and another perspective from a volunteer and a woman involved or something like that.

They also have an instinct for what makes a good story and what doesn't.

Post on boards.

I don't remember if it is or isn't but that's possibly more to do with how the pacing and style of cinema has changed since then. But I agree plenty of WW2 films are boring. That doesn't make 1916 particularly interesting.

How do you define what is boring and what isn't?

I'd imagine a lot of people would consider a film with a small army rising against a significantly greater power to be quite interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

That post makes me so mad its hard to formulate a popper response apart from:

YOUR QUITE WRONG.

What are you, 11? massive eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

So nobody at all cares about 1916 because you don't? Right so.

How do you define what is boring and what isn't?

I'd imagine a lot of people would consider a film with a small army rising against a significantly greater power to be quite interesting.

I don't define I just decide for myself. I don't hear anyone I know speak about 1916 with great excitement or enthusiasm.

I'm sure there are a rake of scintillating scripts out there though and a queue of directors waiting to get them made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0331/691065-the-rising/
    Writer-producer Kevin McCann has said he plans to have The Rising, "the first movie ever" about the Easter 1916 Rising, in cinemas next year, and hopes to begin production on the Colin Morgan-starring film in the Autumn, if a lead investor can be secured.

http://www.therising.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mint Aero wrote: »
    *coughs*

Liam Neeson was in one.

\movie production.

Does that movie not about the bits after 1916?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

WTF is this ****? Is it fashionable these days to not care about your national history. A lot of people care including me, those men that fought had more courage and pride in their small toe than you ever will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

WTF is this ****? Is it fashionable these days to not care about your national history. A lot of people care including me, those men that fought had more courage and pride in their small toe than you ever will.

I worked at a tourist site before and by far the most ignorant visitors I encountered on a daily basis were Irish. Staggering to think that people are so ignorant of their own history.

I would love it if they made a 1916 film simply because it creates discussion on the events of the time. When Michael Collins and Wind That Shakes the Barley were released they sparked a lot of interesting debate about the period that even today is good to look back and read up on. However, I don't think either of these films did that well internationally. Even Michael Collins, despite the A-list cast (or maybe because of it) didn't do too well outside of Ireland.

The govt is probably shy about throwing money at another troubles related film given that quite a few Provos claimed to have been inspired by 'Insurrection' in 1966. Kevin McCann seems to have great ambitions for his project but surely it's too late now for him to get a full length movie filmed and ready for release in less than twelve months?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Stalingrad 1, Stalingrad 2 and Stalingrad 3.

Stalingrad.

Stalingradder.

Stalingraddest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

There's plenty of 1916 stuff, of the Rising and at the Somme etc.

Not so much about the Irish during WWII or what revolutionaries were doing in the '50s. Huge gaps in history to be filled by adventurous, and maybe brave, film makers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you seen Outpost yet? You can't kill a good Nazi!

=-=

Worked in the cinema when "Wind That Shakes the Barley" came out. It's the only film I know that had an audience for every showing, and they only stopped showing it two weeks before it came out on DVD!

=-=

1916 has a **** ending, so either you a) mess with what actually happened or b) portray the brits as filthy inhumane monsters, or c) cut to the credits with the lines "and everyone was shot that day", or something to that line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe a drunken thing but I have a scary feeling the uda or someone might plan an attack during the celebbratory thing next year there are some sick ****ers around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

I suggest you check out Mise Eire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

Actually, there's room for a decent six part TV drama (more so than a movie) in the style of Strumpet city telling the story from different perspectives (even a black & tan or british soldier). RTE do great drama, I'm surprised they didn't do anything. It's too late now to have anything on by April 24th next year, they'd want to be already filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

There was a 10 part programme on tg4. If you look up 1916 documentary on YouTube it comes up. Parts of it are subtitled but it's very good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

OU812 wrote: »
    Actually, there's room for a decent six part TV drama (more so than a movie) in the style of Strumpet city telling the story from different perspectives (even a black & tan or british soldier). RTE do great drama, I'm surprised they didn't do anything. It's too late now to have anything on by April 24th next year, they'd want to be already filming.

I agree, and you'd have thought that given the anniversary and all that some major production would have been in the works, I however and far from surprised that RTE didn't, I'd fire the lot of them and put the TG4 producers in charge in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement