Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm predicting the highest gust will be Belmullet with 115kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I'm predicting 2000kmh Mace Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm predicting the highest gust will be Belmullet with 115kmph.

I'm as inland as you can get, and the Ventusky ICON model is showing 115Km/h for my location at the peak on Sunday. I would expect Belmullet to be a tad more than that :D I usually find the Hirlam FMI model to be pretty accurate, let's see what it comes up with later (only goes out to T+48 hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks more south and severe on ecm.
    Pretty sure cork will soon be added to the orange!!
    Not far off red in the far West

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Darwin wrote: »
    I'm as inland as you can get, and the Ventusky ICON model is showing 115Km/h for my location at the peak on Sunday. I would expect Belmullet to be a tad more than that :D I usually find the Hirlam FMI model to be pretty accurate, let's see what it comes up with later (only goes out to T+48 hours)

Crikey. Could be looking at much higher on the coast so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Any sign of this hitting N Donegal hard?

All the models I've seen (mostly here, thanks to all the posters!) seem to show it mostly in the midwest then tailing south.

Hoping for a bit of a show, seeing as I'm up here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

It wouldn’t be a storm without you mentioning red alerts. Are you sure you don’t work for joe.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

looks nasty on ICON, strong gusts penetrating well inland in the west and south west.

Screenshot-22.png

Screenshot-24.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

looks nasty on ICON, strong gusts penetrating well inland in the west and south west.

I can't see any images in your post. Its unusual to see ECM going for the strongest winds, usually it'd be Icon or GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Icon Wind Gusts. Wont know till it sunday how it will really turn out
    YJTonJtl.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

spookwoman wrote: »
    Icon Wind Gusts. Wont know till it sunday how it will really turn out
    YJTonJtl.png

I think the icon can sometimes over estimate the peak wind gusts but can be fairly accurate in the short range on track, etc. I could be wrong tho. Certainly it looks like there’s quite severe winds coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭endainoz

Carol25 wrote: »
    I think the icon can sometimes over estimate the peak wind gusts but can be fairly accurate in the short range on track, etc. I could be wrong tho. Certainly it looks like there’s quite severe winds coming.

Yeah they do tend to go a bit higher than other models alright, we'll know more tomorrow I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Leave cork out of this mess please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Any sign of this hitting N Donegal hard?

All the models I've seen (mostly here, thanks to all the posters!) seem to show it mostly in the midwest then tailing south.

Hoping for a bit of a show, seeing as I'm up here!!

Donegal likely to see some pretty strong winds, but as you say, looking worse for the SW in general, which has become the standard norm in recent winters:

YQBETHN.png

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM still very strong in the SW, W , probably not as strong across the rest of the country as the other models and on this run not showing it as strong later in the NW but still gusting to 110km/h.

Looking like gusting to 130km/h Kerry, Clare, maybe S Galway and W Cork. Signs of gusting a bit higher in coastal areas and high ground.

bGf3v1h.png

zlW1imC.png

yyeMwFw.png

ZAMI7eW.png

gLw30wt.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

estqBYT.png

jLeSJQU.png

mjH0JRr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Warnings have been updated again now.

ARPEGE 12Z is deadly looking. Damage with loads of power cuts I would imagine with this one if it happened like this but a bit to go yet. Feel it could follow the ECM , we could be seeing much of the high wind concentration in the SW, W Munster area perhaps ? GFS similar to the ECM but not quite as strong .Will see.

anim_rdu7.gif

ICOM like wise showing very rough weather

anim_aup7.gif

anim_lku2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

ARPEGE 12Z is deadly looking. Damage with loads of power cuts I would imagine with this one if it happened like this but a bit to go yet. Feel it could follow the ECM , we could be seeing much of the high wind concentration in the SW, W Munster area perhaps ? GFS similar to the ECM but not quite as strong .Will see.

anim_rdu7.gif

ICOM like wise showing very rough weather

anim_aup7.gif

anim_lku2.gif

Now that gets my attention!

Rare to have ARPEGE stronger than ICON . ARPEGE is a sound model in my view, not one to overstate wind speeds, comes into it's own from about 36 hrs out . Has outperformed other models on occasions but has dropped the ball too but rarely. If it looks like this again on the 18Z run and tomorrow morning then it is a real sit up and take notice ( and action ) situation. But it could follow the ECM which would in general be the norm I think.

arpegeuk-52-68-0_qeo7.png

iconeu_uk1-52-65-0_bye9.png

• Advertisement

EURO 4 Hi Res model just out to 18.00 Sun ,

anim_fpa1.gif

euro4_uk1-52-54-0_bpd4.png

That stripe of wind running across the country on the ARPEGE reminds me of the sting jet in Storm Darwin Feb 12 2014 . ECM showing a stripe of 140 km/h wind off the Clare coast around 18.00 not transferring inland as strong as the ARPEGE but still 110 to 120 and 130 km/h on higher ground . Crude charts from the ECM but are a very good guide I think.

arpegeuk-3-52-0_rby2.png

655_zqa2.png

4364_fmy4.png

7886_kfj8.png

anim_yrf1.gif

tkeZ2Fw.png

2gNz4tj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

That stripe of wind running across the country on the ARPEGE reminds me of the sting jet in Storm Darwin Feb 12 2014 . ECM showing a stripe of 140 km/h wind off the Clare coast around 18.00 not transferring inland as strong as the ARPEGE but still 110 to 120 and 130 km/h on higher ground . Crude charts from the ECM but are a very good guide I think.

Cork not in orange warning but looking at these images it should be? I’m based in north west cork and we usually feel it especially if the warning is for kerry

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Cork not in orange warning but looking at these images it should be? I’m based in north west cork and we usually feel it especially if the warning is for kerry

Close enough but a lot of cork possibly Yellow still. Plenty of time for changes as we get closer. The track and intensity could still shift a bit so another 24 hrs of close model watching by Met Eireann I reckon !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hope George does not get wind of this he was in full flight at this stage for Lorenzo with all his doom and gloom rubbish reporting and it was an Orange warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann would need a good kick up the arse from time to time, their twitter feed is hopping all evening with various updates etc on warnings. An orange warning out for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Kerry and Limerick
    Yet the Marine warning remains yellow and then this rather tame Sunday forecast on the website (issued at 1956):

On Sunday fresh to strong west to southwest winds will reach gale force along coasts. High seas along the Atlantic seaboard with overtopping at the coasts bringing the risk of coastal flooding. There'll be widespread heavy showers, merging to bring longer spells of rain at times in the north. Temperatures in the afternoon will be 6 or 7 degrees (higher at coasts) with little change in temperature overnight on Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann would need a good kick up the arse from time to time, their twitter feed is hopping all evening with various updates etc on warnings. An orange warning out for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Kerry and Limerick
    Yet the Marine warning remains yellow and then this rather tame Sunday forecast on the website (issued at 1956):

On Sunday fresh to strong west to southwest winds will reach gale force along coasts. High seas along the Atlantic seaboard with overtopping at the coasts bringing the risk of coastal flooding. There'll be widespread heavy showers, merging to bring longer spells of rain at times in the north. Temperatures in the afternoon will be 6 or 7 degrees (higher at coasts) with little change in temperature overnight on Sunday night.

I am at a loss to understand why there always seems to be differences in their forecast on TV radio and twitter surely for a professional organisation they should all be singing from the same hymn sheet

chart showing probabilities for gusts in excess of 64 knots for Sat evening (as per the ECM 12z run)

cJNl5zs.png

New Moon

It's possible that there are different forecasters working on these different outlets, which would result in different outcomes.

I think that Met Eireann should not issue these very specific 'warnings' so early, because they are always going to change closer the time. Not only would this help in giving a more accurate warning, but it would prevent parasitical journalists from generating hyped-up stories in order to generate ad revenue.

New Moon

• Advertisement

ICON matching if not exceeding the ARPEGE on it's latest 18Z run. Very much higher than the ECM which would be the benchmark I reckon.

ICON's latest run would certainly be well in the Red Warning for Kerry, possibly Clare, Limerick, parts of Cork? Tipp and Waterford look very strong on this run also as is along the W and NW.

Not saying it is going to be Red but certainly to take note of. Have to compare with the ECM and ARPEGE later .

anim_zvy3.gif

iconeu_uk1-52-61-0_wsf8.png

Bs7QRXw.png?1

Advertisement