Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sourcing Sony PVM/BVM monitors?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

KennethWilliams.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Right so, hooked up the Snes and MD to the PVM with my shiny new cables and everything looks a bit dim.
    Any ideas what might be up?

Master of the Universe

Obvious answer but worth clearing up first anyway - did you try twisting the brightness and contrast knobs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup. knobs were twisted, it's usable but nowhere near as vivid a picture as I expected.
    I'll have to have another look at it.

Master of the Universe

There are two RGB input channels on that monitor (A & B) so try the other channel if you haven't already.

Otherwise it might just be the cable. If you didn't live over the other side of the city I'd test it out for ya!

o1s1n wrote: »
    There are two RGB input channels on that monitor (A & B) so try the other channel if you haven't already.

Otherwise it might just be the cable. If you didn't live over the other side of the city I'd test it out for ya!

So sad you had to abandon the rough tough streets of Clontarf alright!

Master of the Universe

Walking home from my local parcel motel was like a real life version of Streets of Rage. :(

Where all the freshly cooked chicken on the ground was coming from I'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Want to get one of these myself, any linky links?

Master of the Universe

Not at the moment no :(

Need to keep an eye on the bay. The 9 inch ones are small enough to fit in Parcel Motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Cool, I'll set up an alert. :)

PVM seems to be working a treat now.
    I can't really see myself playing on the larger screen again, the image is so dang good via rgb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yup. knobs were twisted, it's usable but I'll have to have another look at it.

tumblr_maq54qJkuK1r459pyo2_250.gif

Master of the Universe

So I got my BNC to BNC cables today.

Pro; they work great.
    It's the first time I've seen RGB on the 9 inch PVMs and holy god, they're incredible.

Con;9 inch PVMs only have BNC RGB video in!! :( no RGB out. They have composite out but that's no use to me.

So I have a Megadrive displaying RGB on a 20 inch PVM, this goes to RGB in on a 9 inch PVM (Megadrive on two screen at this point), but the video chain stops there. I can't continue on to the another 9 inch PVM.

I've a feeling I'm going to need some device to plug one BNC video in to which has two BNC outputs.

Master of the Universe

Just realized a picture probably paints 1000 words in this case! :D

Looks better in motion but you get the idea.

(and yes andrew76, I see the Dreamcast is even more precarious than the last time :pac:)

DSC_0861_zpsd92f6c30.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It's like a game of Jenga using consoles instead of bricks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just curious o1s1n, why do you actually want/need the image on multiple screens?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Just curious o1s1n, why do you actually want/need the image on multiple screens?

hes gotta justify them somehow!:)

Master of the Universe

To makes my games room feel like the studio set from Gamesmaster :pac:

Just a bit of fun really!

Now, imagine the awesomeness with the other one linked up :pac:

(by the way that noise is my leather couch, not me passing gas :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You should stick the composite out into the 1084 at least... and lay off the beans :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The video is private? Not sure I want to listen to you farting though! :pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah that doesn't work unfortunately! I tried linking the third PVM into the video loop using the composite out on the second PVM.

However, the video channels on these monitors are completely separate from each other. So to get a composite picture out, you need to have a composite source.

As the Megadrive is outputting RGB over BNC lines then the whole chain is on the RGB channel.

I guess 9 inch PVMs are a field monitor and not exactly something a studio is going to use to output a high quality video source.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    The video is private? Not sure I want to listen to you farting though! :pac:

I take it youtube object to tooting rear ends :(

Be warned, the video quality is atrocious. It would seem that videoing a CRT television in a badly lit room is not one of the Moto G's strong points.

Master of the Universe

I'm probably investing far too much time and cash into this, but feck it - I found a solution :D

Just bought an Extron DA6 RGBHV wideband video amplifier.

It accepts one BNC RGB input and outputs BNC RGB to 6 monitors! :eek:

£22 pounds with £12 delivery. Seemed like a bargain really.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181218311208?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now to buy 4 more PVMs :pac:

fetch.php?media=av:pvm_2030.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Following up from the comments on the Wii U forum about these crt's I finally got myself a Sony pvm-9042qm yesterday.

Now I need to know what will work with the model I have a what I need to get. I've attached a photo of the back of the unit which might help determine what I can use with it and what I need to get to make them work. Ciderman pointed me towards a cable and adapters I need to get but I'm a bit concerned I need to get something else, I seen mention of a Sync box or something elsewhere?
    For starters I would like to get a snes and possibly a GameCube working on it which I'll be purchasing any day now once the right one comes up on adverts.
    Also does anyone know if this model has a speaker built in?
    Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
    And sorry for digging up the old thread!

Well done!
    How much was it in the end?
    Here's the link to the cable, same one I think I linked to before, it includes the sync input for the monitor, once plugged in all *should* be well.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-to-4-x-BNC-2-x-Phono-breakout-cable-for-Sony-PVM-by-RETRO-GAMING-CABLES-/111745430885?hash=item1a048bf565:g:QqYAAOSw2VJVfc4Z

Well done!
    How much was it in the end?
    Here's the link to the cable, same one I think I linked to before, it includes the sync input for the monitor, once plugged in all *should* be well.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-to-4-x-BNC-2-x-Phono-breakout-cable-for-Sony-PVM-by-RETRO-GAMING-CABLES-/111745430885?hash=item1a048bf565:g:QqYAAOSw2VJVfc4Z
    Thanks for that.
    Ended up paying €50, listed for €100 for the only one listed on adverts. A bit over the odds but not many were popping up so it was that or nothing. It seems to be in good condition anyway. I had it powered on earlier and I expected a white noise screen to appear but it was just blank, is that normal? It is powering on and I can here it working, and to answer my own question it does have sound. It seems to be in great condition physically and hadn't been used in 9 years.
    So I will need that cable, a scart adapter and a snes rgb cable to make it work is that it for the snes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You'll only get a blank screen if no signal is present, no snow like an old TV. Sound will mostly likely be crap on them as well.

You'll only get a blank screen if no signal is present, no snow like an old TV. Sound will mostly likely be crap on them as well.
    I thought that but just wanted it make sure. Thanks. Don't mind if the sound isn't great once it has sound. And I cN play with that later if I feel the need to.

What about the GameCube? I've never owned one, it's the one Nintendo console I've never had. Will this work on this? or would I be better off using as bigger screen regardless if it works or not?

• Advertisement

She's alive :-) still waiting for the proper cable to get the rgb sorted. the sound is fine on it also!

Look at those colours though, fantastic!
    Well done, your retro consoles and games will never look better, happy gaming.

Look at those colours though, fantastic!
    Well done, your retro consoles and games will never look better, happy gaming.

Cheers. It is awesome. since playing emulated games and a SNES on an LCD I couldn't believe how ridiculously hard the games were but it turns out it was lag on the modern tvs all along!

Here's a question for the experts in here. I got my rgb to scart for the pvm I mentioned above and didn't order the snes scart cable so I got a snes scart cable from the rage in town today and it's a weird cable, half way along the cable it has adapters to attach the normal AV cables I'll post a pic.
    Anyway it won't work, I can get the image to appear on screen but only barely. I opened the scart connector and it does have lots of cables inside include red green and blue but I'm not convinced it's the correct scart cable.

I connected the snes to my LCD through the scart and it works fine but I'm not sure if it's coming through as rgb or AV as the scart socket does both.

Here's a pic the pins in the connector that actually goes into the snes are in different location compared to the standard pins in the AV lead(yellow,red,white) which makes me think it could be the proper rgb scart cable.

Here's a pic the pins in the connector that actually goes into the snes are in different location compared to the standard pins in the AV lead(yellow,red,white) which makes me think it could be the proper rgb scart cable.

Here's a link to a very similar cable,
    link
    The item description suggests it is a RGB scart, but the reviews inform otherwise, and the three phono inputs are a dead giveaway that this is, in fact, a composite scart cable, which is fine for what it is, but what it is is not an RGB scart cable for a Nintendo console.

Here's a link to a very similar cable,
    link
    The item description suggests it is a RGB scart, but the reviews inform otherwise, and the three phono inputs are a dead giveaway that this is, in fact, a composite scart cable, which is fine for what it is, but what it is is not an RGB scart cable for a Nintendo console.
    I suspected this was the case alright guess theirs no way to be sure without buying the proper one off amazon. At least I can get the money back for this cable anyway or it actually might come in handy for the GameCube or something. I thought it was strange though that I can see the image a little while it was connected to RGB ports on the pvm. I thought it would be been a case of all or nothing and the pins would of been in the wrong place to send any signal. Strange... Anyway I splashed out on smw 2 while I was in The rage(€40!) and it looks great on the little tv. Only time I actually played it before was on an emulator on a big LCD.

Master of the Universe

iamtony wrote: »
    Here's a question for the experts in here. I got my rgb to scart for the pvm I mentioned above and didn't order the snes scart cable so I got a snes scart cable from the rage in town today and it's a weird cable, half way along the cable it has adapters to attach the normal AV cables I'll post a pic.
    Anyway it won't work, I can get the image to appear on screen but only barely. I opened the scart connector and it does have lots of cables inside include red green and blue but I'm not convinced it's the correct scart cable.

I connected the snes to my LCD through the scart and it works fine but I'm not sure if it's coming through as rgb or AV as the scart socket does both.

Those AV ports are for taking sound out of the console and routing it to a stereo. I've a few RGB cables with them.

It sounds like it's a legit Snes RGB cable. However, there are two different types. One for the NTSC snes and one for the PAL snes.

From what I remember, using the NTSC one with a PAL snes makes the screen go too dark to see (pretty much black) and using the PAL one with the NTSC snes makes the image too bright.

What kind of Snes are you trying to use it with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Those AV ports are for taking sound out of the console and routing it to a stereo. I've a few RGB cables with them.

Same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

It sounds like it's a legit Snes RGB cable. However, there are two different types. One for the NTSC snes and one for the PAL snes.

From what I remember, using the NTSC one with a PAL snes makes the screen go too dark to see (pretty much black) and using the PAL one with the NTSC snes makes the image too bright.

I'm still waiting for cables in the post for the one I got from you, there has been a few questions asked about my plans for the big thing in the hall :( This could be the straw that broke the camels back.

thanks it's a pal system. Just to point out this works perfectly with my LCD TV so does that not rule that theory out? I connected the normal snes AV cable to the ports on this cable and connected this cable to the scart socket on the tv and it worked. The image looked the very same doing this as it did using just the scart cable straight from the snes to the same tv. I'm not sure, on an LCD how much of a difference this should make but I suspect both formations are feeding the tv with a normal composite signal.

Master of the Universe

thanks it's a pal system. Just to point out this works perfectly with my LCD TV so does that not rule that theory out? I connected the normal snes AV cable to the ports on this cable and connected this cable to the scart socket on the tv and it worked. The image looked the very same doing this as it did using just the scart cable straight from the snes to the same tv. I'm not sure, on an LCD how much of a difference this should make but I suspect both formations are feeding the tv with a normal composite signal.

There's a key difference in both devices.

RGB scart sockets on regular TVs also have full composite wiring. It's possible that the picture you're seeing on your LCD is actually composite only (in that the RGB isn't working over the cable and the TV is just taking composite) - how's the picture quality on the LCD? Does it look like RGB or is it fuzzy like composite?

On the other hand, broadcast monitor RGB input BNC cables only do RGB. (they won't accept composite at all)

So it's possible that your cable isn't the correct one for the snes for RGB, it 'blacks out' after a second on the PVM due to this, however the LCD switches over to composite when RGB doesn't work.

Master of the Universe

I'm still waiting for cables in the post for the one I got from you, there has been a few questions asked about my plans for the big thing in the hall :( This could be the straw that broke the camels back.

Eeek!

A good trick is to move it to an upstairs room. Tell the offended parties that if they want it out, they'll have to carry it down themselves :pac:

There's a key difference in both devices.

RGB scart sockets on regular TVs also have full composite wiring. It's possible that the picture you're seeing on your LCD is actually composite only (in that the RGB isn't working over the cable and the TV is just taking composite) - how's the picture quality on the LCD? Does it look like RGB or is it fuzzy like composite?

On the other hand, broadcast monitor RGB input BNC cables only do RGB. (they won't accept composite at all)

So it's possible that your cable isn't the correct one for the snes for RGB, it 'blacks out' after a second on the PVM due to this, however the LCD switches over to composite when RGB doesn't work.
    Hi sorry I probably confusing people I'll try make it out clearer.

I can use the PVM via the standard AV(composite) phono cables no problem by connecting the snes to the video in(with a bnc adapter) socket. Also the PS3 for that matter and I can watch Netflix etc. Like this.

I'm trying to get RGB quality so I bought a RGB to scart adapter but realised afterwards I would need a snes scart RGB cable.

I connected up the adapter to the pvm and then the snes cable to this but all I could get it to display is a nearly black image with a shadow of the game, it's totally unplayable!

So I decided to connect to the LCD with the scart cable. It worked but I did not know if the to was displaying the RGB signal of was only using the composite signal.

I could not connect the standard AV cable to the LCD to compare the images as the tv doesn't have connectors for yellow red and white(composite) so I kept the scart connected to the tv but unplugged it from the snes, and connected the standard av(composite) to the sockets on the scart cable(because it was the only way I could do it)

I also connected the new cable directly from the snes to the LCD and the image looked exactly the same with both methods which leads me to believe both cables are only able to send composite signals to the LCD.

I hope that explains it a bit better although it sounds good in my head, I have has 5 cans of bud already.

Either way it's not a massive problem, I'll order a new cable from the same place I got the bnc to scart adapter(retro gaming cables) and from what I can see these cables are much thicker than what I got today from the rage.

Anyway I'm playing yoshi's island on the pvm via the AV cables connected to the video in socket now and it's still beautiful, see attached pic!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I connected up the adapter to the pvm and then the snes cable to this but all I could get it to display is a nearly black image with a shadow of the game, it's totally unplayable!

Yep, this is pretty much what I was getting at :)

So some Snes RGB cables have extra capacitors in them. These cables work with the NTSC model.

The PAL cable doesn't have these capacitors.

The result of using the wrong cable with a PAL snes is a picture for a split second and then it darkens out so you can't see it.

There's an explanation here, and it shows you how to remove the capacitors, otherwise you could just pick up a PAL one on ebay instead.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/pal-snes-rgb.htm

Might be an idea to just open up the scart cable and see if it has those extra capacitors.

Yep, this is pretty much what I was getting at :)

So some Snes RGB cables have extra capacitors in them. These cables work with the NTSC model.

The PAL cable doesn't have these capacitors.

The result of using the wrong cable with a PAL snes is a picture for a split second and then it darkens out so you can't see it.

There's an explanation here, and it shows you how to remove the capacitors, otherwise you could just pick up a PAL one on ebay instead.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/pal-snes-rgb.htm

Might be an idea to just open up the scart cable and see if it has those extra capacitors.
    That could be the issue! I do have those 3 capacitors inside my scart socket!! Thanks I don't know if I should try remove them or just order the proper one and keep this one. Thanks. I think you have solved the mystery for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

The cable for the NTSC SNES also works on a GameCube, if you have one to try it out. Or, just to rule out that it's not a bad SCART/BNC adapter, connect any other console you have that outputs RGB to it.

Relikk wrote: »
    The cable for the NTSC SNES also works on a GameCube, if you have one to try it out. Or, just to rule out that it's not a bad SCART/BNC adapter, connect any other console you have that outputs RGB to it.

Nothing else to connect to it via rgb at the moment I'm afraid. Thanks anyway.

Advertisement