Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston marathon 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Limpy wrote: »
    Did you travel with thtr misses, how did they find getting a spectator spot and moving around on the day.

Did you get the early bus?

I haven’t brought the missus and family over so don’t know what the logistics for spectators are like.

I’ve generally taken one of the early buses out but for 2018 given the horrendous weather I left it a bit later. Because of the jet lag you’re likely to be awake early enough anyway.

The athletes village is comfortable enough to hang out in early on as long as the weather is fine. The time passes quick enough there and you can soak up the buzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Did you travel with thtr misses, how did they find getting a spectator spot and moving around on the day.

Did you get the early bus?

Forget about family moving around on race day!

Even with the T it's almost impossible because it's so jam packed you will have to wait for ages until you find one with some space in it.

A friend of mine saw me at mile 21 and I had to wait for almost an hour after finishing to meet up again because he couldn't get on a train.

If you have family there they should just pick one single spot where they can see you on the course and then you agree to meet afterwards somewhere in Boston Commons (or wherever is handy)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Thanks!! When do you find out your race number and associated wave /corral.

Thanks!! When do you find out your race number and associated wave /corral.

Sometime in Feb/Mar after the deadline for submitting a faster time has been passed.

The newton hills. Did any of you run them before your first Boston marathon?
    Id like to finish my long runs on a similar profile when I start training ect.

If time permits I'd like to get a few Miles on them before the race maybe on the Saturday. Thoughs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

So far I have the Raheny 5 mile beginning of Feb and the Dungarvan 10 mile the week after.

I'm looking at options for a half on the run up to Boston if anyone has any suggestions? I'm Dublin based. I've seen

- The Mullingar Half, would be my preference but it's Paddy's Day so might not work. Kids / parade / etc.
    - A Wicklow Half on Sunday the 24th March, but I'm not sure I like the look of it
    - A Half in Galway on Saturday the 2nd, but it's a bit of a trek from Dublin

Could always just do the Mallow 10 mile in Cork on Sunday the 24th March instead

Anyone have any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

So far I have the Raheny 5 mile beginning of Feb and the Dungarvan 10 mile the week after.

I'm looking at options for a half on the run up to Boston if anyone has any suggestions? I'm Dublin based. I've seen

- The Mullingar Half, would be my preference but it's Paddy's Day so might not work. Kids / parade / etc.
    - A Wicklow Half on Sunday the 24th March, but I'm not sure I like the look of it
    - A Half in Galway on Saturday the 2nd, but it's a bit of a trek from Dublin

Could always just do the Mallow 10 mile in Cork on Sunday the 24th March instead

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Bohermeen half , March 10th .. fairly flat and good standard of race

quick feet wrote: »
    Bohermeen half , March 10th .. fairly flat and good standard of race

I literally only spotted it myself. I think I've found my half, sound!

Norwegian Air have a sale you can get return flights for 200 euro to providance!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Sometime in Feb/Mar after the deadline for submitting a faster time has been passed.

Found this today. Spreadsheet showing the cut off times for the various waves/corrals for the last 12 Boston marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭bonaparte2

Found this today. Spreadsheet showing the cut off times for the various waves/corrals for the last 12 Boston marathons.

Suppose a runner started in Wave 2 Corral 4, that is with the 3.21-3.23 people and he wanted to run with a target time of sub 3.10 or even faster , would that be possible or would he be better to run fast somewhere else and just cruise around and enjoy the day? It looks congested on the go pro videos

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    Suppose a runner started in Wave 2 Corral 4, that is with the 3.21-3.23 people and he wanted to run with a target time of sub 3.10 or even faster , would that be possible or would he be better to run fast somewhere else and just cruise around and enjoy the day? It looks congested on the go pro videos

Of course it’s possible - I’ve never found congestion to be a problem at Boston. The course and weather conditions are what usually lead to a slower marathon there.

You've 90 days to start thinking about if you want the jacket...

https://www.adidas.com/us/boston_marathon

You've 90 days to start thinking about if you want the jacket...

https://www.adidas.com/us/boston_marathon

I think I will wait to do the touchy feely thing on the jacket at the expo. I heard that this years jacket is a lot thinner than previous years, more like a windstopper. Might not be great value at $110.

Acceptance card received in post today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Acceptance card received in post today.

Yup

**** just got real.....real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Thinking about the logistics for this years race. Last year i parked in an underground car park and walked to the bag drop. I am going to try avoid the bag drop this year as it was a disaster last year trying to get your bag. They organise the bags by number and qualifying times hence why the q is massive as for each tent they have all similar qualifying times. Was waiting half an hour in the freezing cold and rain to get my bag. If you are driving or are staying close avoid the bag drop.

Thinking about the logistics for this years race. Last year i parked in an underground car park and walked to the bag drop. I am going to try avoid the bag drop this year as it was a disaster last year trying to get your bag. They organise the bags by number and qualifying times hence why the q is massive as for each tent they have all similar qualifying times. Was waiting half an hour in the freezing cold and rain to get my bag. If you are driving or are staying close avoid the bag drop.

Course preview
    https://youtu.be/TEoWRSIZB4Q

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Has anybody ever attended the post marathon drinks in Fenway? If so, is it worthwhile?

Has anybody ever attended the post marathon drinks in Fenway? If so, is it worthwhile?

The ticket is free so no harm having the option to go.

I got one for myself and the misses. Just gonna make the most of the experience while I am there.

• Advertisement

The ticket is free so no harm having the option to go.

I got one for myself and the misses. Just gonna make the most of the experience while I am there.

Cool, Im thinking the same as you. I will have two extras travelling with me..... although it might be 2020 rather than 2019 at this stage. Sidelined with a niggle since the start of new year.....:( #limpy :pac:

Cool, Im thinking the same as you. I will have two extras travelling with me..... although it might be 2020 rather than 2019 at this stage. Sidelined with a niggle since the start of new year.....:( #limpy :pac:

2020 Is a long wait. Hopefully you shake it off!! At least with the after party you can tick Fenway Park Visit off the List.

Thanks. My intention was always to run it for fun rather than race it so we will see what happens. Not the end of the world if it doesn’t work out for me this year.

How are you getting on with your training? Weather looks nippy over there at the minute.

Thanks. My intention was always to run it for fun rather than race it so we will see what happens. Not the end of the world if it doesn’t work out for me this year.

How are you getting on with your training? Weather looks nippy over there at the minute.

I wish it was next week. Have a 22 and 3x20's done. I don't mind nippy once its not like last year, it looks a real struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

It would be great to see her back and running to her best. That said, if we're being brutally honest 2.31 (her PB) is more sub-elite than elite these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tommykb

Going to do the same - $30 is certainly the cheapest part of the trip so far!

Nice running. 20 this weekend and Kinvara full then weekend after, then it's 19, 20, & 21 for the next 3 weekends - the ready-ist I'll ever be!

Itziger wrote: »
    It would be great to see her back and running to her best. That said, if we're being brutally honest 2.31 (her PB) is more sub-elite than elite these days.

If the weather was like last year she could do well. she'd be well used to running in the wind and rain here :) Otherwise she will be happy to PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

If the weather was like last year she could do well. she'd be well used to running in the wind and rain here :) Otherwise she will be happy to PB.
    I was thinking the same thing meself. With weather like last year's she'd be in with a shout! Podium anyway.

• Advertisement

Course will suit her down to the ground. Boston course like running a cross country. Steep downhills...short uphills :D

Bib/Corral's been released.

Wave breaks: Wave 1, 2:19:40 to 3:07:27; Wave 2, 3:07:28 to 3:27:17; Wave 3, 3:27:18 to 3:56:54; Wave 4, 3:56:55 and up

Its getting more real by the day now!

Wave 1, Corral 2 for me. Unfortunately I will be watching on the App, I have barely completed 26.2 miles in 2019 so far due to a knee issue. Ah well, next year....

How is everybody else getting on?

Wave 2 Corral 6. Looking forward to it. I hope the weather is better than last year.

Wave 2 corral 7 for me. The fast guys are getting faster pushing people back.

Wave 1, Corral 5 for me. Unfortunately I've hardly run over the past 3 weeks because of a chest infection and just started on a new course of antibiotics today. My training has gone to sh!t. Will be relying on muscle memory to get me around at this rate. I'll just he aiming to forget times and enjoy the occasion at this stage.

1/6 for me - furthest back since my 1st Boston. One benefit is it’s a shorter walk from the athletes’ village.

Wave 2 Corral 1 for me. Training hampered this past weekend due to a rugby trip to Cardiff. However felt back to normal this morning on an aerobic 8 miles. Have had to change flights due to the grounding of the Boeing Max planes with Norwegian. Flying direct to Logan now with Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement

Wave 2 Corral 1 for me. Training hampered this past weekend due to a rugby trip to Cardiff. However felt back to normal this morning on an aerobic 8 miles. Have had to change flights due to the grounding of the Boeing Max planes with Norwegian. Flying direct to Logan now with Aer Lingus.

I'm flying to Providence as well but I haven't made alternative arrangements yet

I'm flying to Providence as well but I haven't made alternative arrangements yet

Will message you

Wave 2 corral 5 for me - 1st time so know no better :)

Have ye all gotten yer bib numbers already?

Have ye all gotten yer bib numbers already?

Yes, If you check out the entrants list on baa.org, its there . But no written confirmation in post.

Yes, If you check out the entrants list on baa.org, its there . But no written confirmation in post.

Wave 1 coral 4 for me.

Only 2 long runs left..........:eek:

• Advertisement

I read that it will be electronic this year. You will get an email with your packet pick up which you need tp bring to the expo for number pickup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Wave 2/6 for me. Hopeful of a finally getting a result that does not begin with the letter 'D' this year !

Keeping it simple this year - heading to the pasta dinner / going to try Fenway.

It's all about the weather now ! It's due a decent year … right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stephentracey

Hi All
    Just checking if people that are flying to Providence with norwegian for the boston marathon getting worried yet .
    Not much information online about changing people onto the new york flight to steward airport. I am going to decide over the weekend if I will change to delta or aerlingus or hope for the best nearer the time .

Hi All
    Just checking if people that are flying to Providence with norwegian for the boston marathon getting worried yet .
    Not much information online about changing people onto the new york flight to steward airport. I am going to decide over the weekend if I will change to delta or aerlingus or hope for the best nearer the time .

Stephen I rebooked with AerLingus and so did one of the other lads running here . Norwegian have a fleet of 160 with 24 planes that can fly long haul . 18 of these are the grounded Max 8 planes . 6 are Dreamliners and 5 are used on the big routes . They appear to be using the 6th to fly to Stewart New York in place of the Grounded max 8 . Norwegian customer service are useless . All flights to Providence have been cancelled to date so far . God knows when they will get to us .
    Tks
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stephentracey

Great thanks for the info . something to think about over the weekend when I am doing my last 22 miler

• Advertisement
Advertisement