Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

What to do. Run faster, slow down, pick a ditch.....

(Had problems when AMK passed me on Sunday morning, he must have cursed me)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

jamule wrote: »

Did you do anything different on the morning of the race?? Or the night before?

Did you do the obligatory 2 poo's before the race :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Did you do anything different on the morning of the race?? Or the night before?

Did you do the obligatory 2 poo's before the race :) ?

All standard pre race. May have eaten too much the day before but nothing out of the ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Run faster so you're able to get to a toilet quicker? :D

It's just one of those things that happen very rarely, but if they happen that really sucks. No real advice - it may have been due to eating too much the day before but it may just have been very bad luck.

P.S. anyone posting THAT picture is asking for a timeout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pick a ditch, and always bring loo paper!.

When I started running first it seemed like I was caught short almost every second or turd (lol, sorry) run. It got to a stage where I was struggling to put any distance up because of how frequently I was caught out.

Apart from using the bathroom before going out I tend to avoid coffee in the hours before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Is there an app to convert pace per miles to pace per km? I know most my paces off by heart but there are always a few where you'd be estimating the pace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Is there an app to convert pace per miles to pace per km? I know most my paces off by heart but there are always a few where you'd be estimating the pace

Pace+ by AvH is by far my favorite. Blue icon with runner symbol in the middle on the play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Thanks Swashbuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Pick a ditch, and always bring loo paper!.

When I started running first it seemed like I was caught short almost every second or turd (lol, sorry) run. It got to a stage where I was struggling to put any distance up because of how frequently I was caught out.

Apart from using the bathroom before going out I tend to avoid coffee in the hours before.

Got caught out last night for the first time, I'm relatively new to running. Got about 1.5km from the house at a 5.45 pace, I usually start fast then settle to just over 6.00, but turned around and got back to the house at about 5.15 pace. my 3km PB. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Got caught out last night for the first time, I'm relatively new to running. Got about 1.5km from the house at a 5.45 pace, I usually start fast then settle to just over 6.00, but turned around and got back to the house at about 5.15 pace. my 3km PB. :o

Worst one I got was getting caught short a few hundred meters from The Golf Links pub in Portmarnock, by the time I got to the pub I'd swear I must have looked like Roger Bannister sprinting through the lounge to get to the loo's.

When I came out bathed in sweat and relief all over my face it was fairly obvious to the customers what had happened, laughs were had :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Pace per km = Pace per mile / 1.609 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you have a few anchor points
    6 min mile = 3:45/km
    8 min mile = 5/km
    you can work from there knowing that 10 seconds/km is 16 seconds/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

RayCun wrote: »
    If you have a few anchor points
    6 min mile = 3:45/km
    8 min mile = 5/km
    you can work from there knowing that 10 seconds/km is 16 seconds/mile

This reminds me of something I read recently about how you can convert miles and kilometres using the Fibonacci sequence. It totally blew my nerdy mind!
    The Fibonacci sequence is basically a sequence of numbers where you add two numbers to get the next, so 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5, 3+5=8...
    The sequence is, 2,3,5,8,13,21.....
    Look familiar? 3 miles is approx 5km, 5 miles is approx 8km and so on. You can use it for numbers in between too https://catonmat.net/fibonacci-miles-kilometers

Or you can just use an app! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

chickey2 wrote: »
    This reminds me of something I read recently about how you can convert miles and kilometres using the Fibonacci sequence. It totally blew my nerdy mind!
    The Fibonacci sequence is basically a sequence of numbers where you add two numbers to get the next, so 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5, 3+5=8...
    Look familiar? 3 miles is approx 5km, 5 miles is approx 8km and so on. You can use it for numbers in between too https://catonmat.net/fibonacci-miles-kilometers

😯 thats awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

5ive wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Doing Craughwell 10mile on Sunday....got my email there saying no iPods or earphones!! I need me choons!!!
    Have never had this rule in a race before-anyone encounter this?
    Is it strict or a 'guideline' type thing or what can I do??
    Thanks in advance

If it says "no" it's strict not a guideline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 5ive

skyblue46 wrote: »
    If it says "no" it's strict not a guideline.

Gosh thanks. Very informative. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

5ive wrote:

The roads don't get fully closed for that race so it's certainly strict in this instance for your own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

What did you expect? Nah, go on sure you're grand, seeing as it's yerself...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

http://www.graemestewart.com/running-pace-and-speed-conversion-table/

I'd often have a quick glance at this to remind me of paces before a run......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Used to happen to me too...your body adjusts quite quickly tho..

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »
    What did you expect? Nah, go on sure you're grand, seeing as it's yerself...?

Firstly, thanks skyblue46 and 'yerself' for the great responses to my question. Really nice welcome to the athletics forum.

Secondly, it's a shame there wasn't more knowledge behind your comments but as the saying goes, empty vessels really do make the most noise.
    After seeing loads of people with headphones before the race I asked one of the organisers about the rule and they said it is a rule in all road races now for insurance purposes but it is not enforced in most races. So you wear them at your own risk.

There you go, it really is a guideline and a case of "ah shur you're grand."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Firstly, thanks skyblue46 and 'yerself' for the great responses to my question. Really nice welcome to the athletics forum.

Secondly, it's a shame there wasn't more knowledge behind your comments but as the saying goes, empty vessels really do make the most noise.
    After seeing loads of people with headphones before the race I asked one of the organisers about the rule and they said it is a rule in all road races now for insurance purposes but it is not enforced in most races. So you wear them at your own risk.

Look up cognitive dissonance in the dictionary

Your stupid question got the answer it merited

deisedude wrote: »
    Look up cognitive dissonance in the dictionary

Your stupid question got the answer it merited

How was it stupid, oh wise one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Ignoring the primadonna stuff you might get away with wearing your headphones. Equally you might get pulled up on it and denied an official result for your race. Your choice really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

How was it stupid, oh wise one?
    You are getting good advice from experienced runners on this forum, I suggest you tone down the attitude a bit.

Actually : Mod note: the above is not a suggestion.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Ignoring the primadonna stuff you might get away with wearing your headphones. Equally you might get pulled up on it and denied an official result for your race. Your choice really.

They'd be pulling up alot of people then, far too many to deny all their results. It's enforced in other countries but not here yet.

Steve wrote: »
    You are getting good advice from experienced runners on this forum, I suggest you tone down the attitude a bit.

Actually : Mod note: the above is not a suggestion.

mod snip.

please discuss moderation via pm. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

What good advice is that? I got one decent answer and the rest was textbook keyboard warrior nastiness; that was wrong too by the way.
    I'll ban myself don't worry.

I don't see how a simple answer is keyboard warrior stuff but as you'd prefer a longer answer I would be delighted to provide one.

Organisers go to a lot of bother to put on races. They make many simple requests of runners from time to time. They will ask that I wear my number on the front of my vest, that I run on the left hand side of the road, that I don't cut a particular corner on the course or that I don't wear headphones. Out of respect I will do what I am asked. It's as simple as that. An instruction is just that and I feel no need to defy them for my own needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I don't see how a simple answer is keyboard warrior stuff but as you'd prefer a longer answer I would be delighted to provide one.

Organisers go to a lot of bother to put on races. They make many simple requests of runners from time to time. They will ask that I wear my number on the front of my vest, that I run on the left hand side of the road, that I don't cut a particular corner on the course or that I don't wear headphones. Out of respect I will do what I am asked. It's as simple as that. An instruction is just that and I feel no need to defy them for my own needs.

Don't mind them, they were a sh*%e group anyway......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

chickey2 wrote: »

I've always found it immensely pleasing that the conversion factor of kilometres to miles is (almost) the Golden Ratio. Another one of those numerical oddities.

Advertisement