Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National 10K 2019

Options
  • 08-01-2019 1:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what the deal is with this? AI have it listed as the Great Ireland run as per usual, but Great Run website have no run listed for Ireland this year and the usual Ireland URL leads to a dead end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Cork athletics have it down as 14th April

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Anyone know what the deal is with this? AI have it listed as the Great Ireland run as per usual, but Great Run website have no run listed for Ireland this year and the usual Ireland URL leads to a dead end.

It’s very strange that a money seeking event like that wouldn’t have it on sale by now. Very strange, something must be going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.facebook.com/greatirelandrun/

Sunday 14th April, Entries open on Thursday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/greatirelandrun/

Sunday 14th April, Entries open on Thursday

Odd. They had no Facebook page when I checked earlier today! Messaged them via the great north run facebook page as the great run website directed me there.
    Odd that entries are only on sale now, usually the go on sale months in advance! It doesn't appear on their website! Disappointed now, was hoping it was canned and we'd get a proper national 10k :(

Curious now though to see what was happening there, must be a coincidence that they re-enabled that facebook page today! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

Odd. They had no Facebook page when I checked earlier today! Messaged them via the great north run facebook page as the great run website directed me there.
    Odd that entries are only on sale now, usually the go on sale months in advance! It doesn't appear on their website! Disappointed now, was hoping it was canned and we'd get a proper national 10k :(

Curious now though to see what was happening there, must be a coincidence that they re-enabled that facebook page today! :pac:

Maybe they were waiting to see what happens with Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Registration open. 25 euros a bit pricey for a 10k. I signed up thinking it was a half...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Disappointed now, was hoping it was canned and we'd get a proper national 10k :(
    Half-way there: https://www.greatrun.org/great-ireland-run
    After 15 successful years in Dublin the Great Ireland Run will no longer be staged by the Great Run Company. The event will continue to be staged, under licence, by Dublin City Harriers and Athletics Ireland, who have been long time partners of the Great Ireland Run.
    Seems it's going to continue to be the "Great Ireland Run", just no connection to the Great Run Company

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

28064212 wrote: »
    Half-way there: https://www.greatrun.org/great-ireland-run

Seems it's going to continue to be the "Great Ireland Run", just no connection to the Great Run Company

Bummer. It's such a shame that ALL the national road championships - 10km, half marathon, marathon and road relays) are held in Dublin, with the 10km (until now) and the half marathon incorporated into international franchises, who have paid a fat fee for the rights. :rolleyes: Maybe if clubs boycotted these commercial races, they'd see sense and give the events back to local clubs, ideally rotating them between the four provinces and Dublin.

I wonder if it will attract same numbers (or if it can). Looks like it'll be a 10k only so no kids races, 5k or mile(?).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

the numbers for that run have steadily been decreasing year on year, from what I remember from last year's thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If it wasn’t the National 10k Champs i’d say you would see very few club runners participating in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    If it wasn’t the National 10k Champs i’d say you would see very few club runners participating in it.

Stupid question and I probably could've used Google but I is there a provincial 10k? I believe the GLR is Munster HM and Marathon championship. Is there a 10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Stupid question and I probably could've used Google but I is there a provincial 10k? I believe the GLR is Munster HM and Marathon championship. Is there a 10k?

I honestly don’t know, I know there’s a Leinster 10 miler in Clontarf & Frank Duffy is the National title(I think on this one).

The last Leinster 10k road championships I can remember would have been about 6 or 7 years ago. Was in Wicklow in 2012. Not sure if it has been on since?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

New route now posted on the Athletics Ireland website, at the bottom of this page:
    https://www.athleticsireland.ie/runzone/2019-great-ireland-run-10k/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ooter

Ah here, I've been training on the old course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

New route now posted on the Athletics Ireland website, at the bottom of this page:
    https://www.athleticsireland.ie/runzone/2019-great-ireland-run-10k/
    Interesting course. Definitely will produce a tactical race: fast first 2k, short but steep climb at 2.5km, following by a very fast k, then a steep climb to the Acres Rd at 4k, bit of a drag for 2k, then put the hammer down for a fast 3k. Going out a little too hard in the first half would destroy your race. Wind could be a big factor too.

Bit of a different approach to the usual Phoenix Park runs, you don't see many including the hill up to the Acres, or going down into the Lower Glen

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Thats a fast course.
    It's true though that many will be gased after the sharp turn up to Acres Rd.
    Once up that hill it's pretty fast again from the Papal cross, nice change all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

10.45am start makes it difficult for people to travel. All national senior Championships are now in Dublin road track and XC.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mrk75

I wonder if it will attract same numbers (or if it can). Looks like it'll be a 10k only so no kids races, 5k or mile(?).

That's a pity if there's no mini run. Will have to break it gently to the wee one - she's done the last three, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Thinking about doing this as my first 10K. Whats the participants usually like? Since its the national 10K is it mostly highly competitive . Id be looking at finishing in around 65 mins, will they be picking the cones up behind me?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Irishder wrote: »
    Thinking about doing this as my first 10K. Whats the participants usually like? Since its the national 10K is it mostly highly competitive . Id be looking at finishing in around 65 mins, will they be picking the cones up behind me?

This race is usually organised by the Great Run company. There are some fast people at the front but there are all standards in the race, plenty running around your time.

New organisation this year so things might change a little, but you'll still have plenty of company.

(For comparison, the Rock and Roll half marathon is also the national championship, but there are people finishing that in 3-4 hours.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Irishder wrote: »

Yep, I ran it a few years ago in around that time and had plenty of company. Give it a go. You might surprise yourself.

Signed up to this last night. Hopefully be a better day weather wise than last year

Be interesting to see the times on new course compared to last years

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Just signed up. First race in about 4 years!!! Nervous and excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Thinking of signing up for this.

Where is a good spot to book accommodation?

Thinking of signing up for this.

Where is a good spot to book accommodation?

Anywhere close to the zoo would be ideal, easy walking distance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Anyone get their race pack yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

we havent gotten either of ours yet. But i cant find anything to say how far before the event we should expect to receive them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭blackwhite

eve wrote: »
    we havent gotten either of ours yet. But i cant find anything to say how far before the event we should expect to receive them

Same here. If nothing by Friday I’ll give them a shout

Advertisement