Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fertiliser ?

Options
  • 06-02-2020 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

I have a few fields of old pasture that was grazed off by sheep last November and it hasn't really came back. I want it for cattle turn out in March. I have no soil tests done. I was thinking of 0-7-30 or would I be better going with 18-6-12?

Was hoping to make a start shortly weather permitting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

I'd say 0-7-30 won't give you any grass, as there's no nitrogen in it. Yes, it will boost the soil and give the grass colour, but if you want some growth you'll need nitrogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If no slurry 0.7.30 and a 35 units of urea would help

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

If it's old pasture it probably wants some lime more than anything. You won't get the full value out of your fertiliser if the soil pH isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'll be awkward. And say if the soil is anything like here I wouldn't consider urea.
    I have improved it by bringing the pH and p and k's up with touches of s. But in the bad old days here urea wouldn't work.
    It'd only work where dung or thick slurry was spread or else you'd have to go to the full bag of urea per acre to get any effect and even that wouldn't be great.

My own thoughts with an old sward that you know nothing of the soil indicies would be go down the 2 bags of 10.10.20 or bag and half of 18.6.12 route.

I transformed an old sward very briefly with diluted seawater. But that was in the summer and I never repeated that.
    Any 'organic' amendments are always better at building up long term fertility and soil life than the npk out of the bag though. But npk from the bag is sometimes needed to raise the p and k in the organic amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'll be awkward. And say if the soil is anything like here I wouldn't consider urea.
    I have improved it by bringing the pH and p and k's up with touches of s. But in the bad old days here urea wouldn't work.
    It'd only work where dung or thick slurry was spread or else you'd have to go to the full bag of urea per acre to get any effect and even that wouldn't be great.

My own thoughts with an old sward that you know nothing of the soil indicies would be go down the 2 bags of 10.10.20 or bag and half of 18.6.12 route.

I transformed an old sward very briefly with diluted seawater. But that was in the summer and I never repeated that.
    Any 'organic' amendments are always better at building up long term fertility and soil life than the npk out of the bag though. But npk from the bag is sometimes needed to raise the p and k in the organic amendment.

I forgot about 10.10.20. I have to be careful with some of the fields as they are in GLAS.

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    I forgot about 10.10.20. I have to be careful with some of the fields as they are in GLAS.

There's a mountain of bark mulch at the ferry bridge near new Ross. Go in and offer to take it off their hands. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

There's a mountain of bark mulch at the ferry bridge near new Ross. Go in and offer to take it off their hands. :pac:

How long would that need to rot?

How long would that need to rot?

Bark mulch wouldn't take very long.
    A few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Ha ha let me know what he says, not known for his soft side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Typical that it's on the far side of the country!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Part of the reason they will be slow to recover us that the sheep will have grazed the regrowths this really sets back recovery. IMO I would soil test at present. A single bulk sample will cost less than 30 euro and that is nothing in regard to fertilizer costs.

18-6-12 can be got for 350/ton I would spread a bag to the acre as soon as the weather permits and again in early March. If you suspect PH is very low a bag of gran line to the acre would not go astray. There is another type of bagged lime that is burnt lime based and that is stronger and works well in low pH ground

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What fertiliser is best for silage ground that won’t get slurry before first cut? 18-6-12?

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    What fertiliser is best for silage ground that won’t get slurry before first cut? 18-6-12?

If you are looking for s single fertilizer then 18-6-13 is the best option. 5bags/ acre gives 90N/30P/60K.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

If you are looking for s single fertilizer then 18-6-13 is the best option. 5bags/ acre gives 90N/30P/60K.

Far too much p and not enough k.
    3 bags of 0 7 30 and either urea or can. Put the N on in 2 splits.

You'd be fine using 24-2.5-10 so long as the ground got slurry afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

Far too much p and not enough k.
    3 bags of 0 7 30 and either urea or can. Put the N on in 2 splits.

If no soil test done in would assume you couldn't have enough p and k

What's the down side to excess p?

50HX wrote: »
    If no soil test done in would assume you couldn't have enough p and k

What's the doway side to excess p?

You're right you couldnt assume high p if no soil test but it's not ideal going with that much in one go. Better to drip feed it. Itll all get locked up in the soil if weather isnt right for it

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What are ye’re thoughts on mixing fertilizer? Say putting 18:6:12 and something else with it with higher N like 24:2.5.10? Would you get a better balance of the 3?

What are ye’re thoughts on mixing fertilizer? Say putting 18:6:12 and something else with it with higher N like 24:2.5.10? Would you get a better balance of the 3?

If you have no slurry you need plenty of P&K. Fertilizers like Silage Sward are designed to be used with slurry. If you have no slurry you need plenty of P &K to get a crop and to stop grass heading out too fast

Slava Ukrainii

If you were going to use two, I'd say 24-2.5-10 and 0-7-30 would be the best option. Nothing to stop you using the two you mentioned either. Everything you put into the soil will help.....

• Advertisement

What would lads recommend for the following silage ground

2 good cuts and a light 3rd cut at back end of the year

Reseeded 4 years ago, building p & k back up, lime applied again last year

No slurry on this ground

Cut sward with 18/6/12 & Can split on applications?

What would lads recommend for the following silage ground

2 good cuts and a light 3rd cut at back end of the year

Reseeded 4 years ago, building p & k back up, lime applied again last year

No slurry on this ground

Cut sward with 18/6/12 & Can split on applications?

Do you know what P and K levels are like? Three cuts of silage would require a lot of K generally. I'd be inclined to give it at least one shake of 0-7-30 annually.....

hopeso wrote: »
    Do you know what P and K levels are like? Three cuts of silage would require a lot of K generally. I'd be inclined to give it at least one shake of 0-7-30 annually.....

Soil tests say please is at 33mg/like and k at 2.8mg/l

What that is units per acre??

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

What are people spreading the last few days? Is it too cold for CAN?

farmer2018 wrote: »
    What are people spreading the last few days? Is it too cold for CAN?

Urea should be the fertilizer of choice unless you are need P&K. Unless you have heavy covers 35-40 units of N/s re if no fertlizer spread already. CAN is a more expensive formn of N than urea

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it too dry for Urea??:pac:

tanko wrote: »
    Is it too dry for Urea??:pac:

Go out tomorrow morning at dawn and kneel down to say you prayers for the Cronavirus to go away if you knees are dry getting up do not spread Urea

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

If i go out and kneel down in my fields there's a good chance i'd have to ring someone to come with a winch to rescue me.

Soil tests say please is at 33mg/like and k at 2.8mg/l

What that is units per acre??

Have you those figures correct?
    Thats index 4 for p and bottom of index 1 for k? Be unusual to see such a contrast Imo

• Advertisement

Have you those figures correct?
    Thats index 4 for p and bottom of index 1 for k? Be unusual to see such a contrast Imo

It's calling for 32 units per p acre and 68 of k.....didn't see that page

18/6/12 the best bang for buck here then?

Advertisement