Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fertiliser ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭Grueller

50HX wrote: »
    It's calling for 32 units per p acre and 68 of k.....didn't see that page

18/6/12 the best bang for buck here then?

Cheapest way I think would be 3 and 1/2 of 10-10-20 then follow it with 2 bags of CAN to bring nitrogen up to 89 units. I am assuming that this is silage ground?

At the prices I paid that would be €63 per acre for the 10-10-20 and €22 for the CAN so €85 per acre.
    6 bags 18-6-12 would be €99 per acre but granted would have 19 more units if nitrogen that you probably don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What’s the best way to split fertiliser when spreading on silage ground? Would ye go 50/50? Also, how many weeks would ye leave between applications? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    What’s the best way to split fertiliser when spreading on silage ground? Would ye go 50/50? Also, how many weeks would ye leave between applications? Thanks

Never split it I put Slurry out first generally and Urea follow a week later

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Never split it I put Slurry out first generally and Urea follow a week later

No slurry out on silage ground here yet. Just too wet to even think about it. And one field is a reseed with a good cut of grass on it that would need to be grazed off but walked it today and still too wet even for light stock.

Getting late now to graze, slurry and fert. Same thing happened a few years ago and ended up skipping the slurry and put on more bagged P &K.

Dunedin wrote: »
    No slurry out on silage ground here yet. Just too wet to even think about it. And one field is a reseed with a good cut of grass on it that would need to be grazed off but walked it today and still too wet even for light stock.

Getting late now to graze, slurry and fert. Same thing happened a few years ago and ended up skipping the slurry and put on more bagged P &K.

Got first of the cattle out today. I will get the rest out over the weekend. Grazing some of the silage fields off first. Using a dribble bar to spread slurry so fields do not have to completely bare.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭50HX

Grueller wrote: »
    Cheapest way I think would be 3 and 1/2 of 10-10-20 then follow it with 2 bags of CAN to bring nitrogen up to 89 units. I am assuming that this is silage ground?

At the prices I paid that would be €63 per acre for the 10-10-20 and €22 for the CAN so €85 per acre.
    6 bags 18-6-12 would be €99 per acre but granted would have 19 more units if nitrogen that you probably don't need.

Yeah its silage ground, usually 3 cuts a year albeit the last cut is very light

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Got first of the cattle out today. I will get the rest out over the weekend. Grazing some of the silage fields off first. Using a dribble bar to spread slurry so fields do not have to completely bare.

Would you use the dripple bar on grazing ground

Dunedin wrote: »
    Would you use the dripple bar on grazing ground

Virtually all the slurry goes on silage ground. I get contractor in first week in April. Any bare paddocks get 1500 gallons/acre rest is spread on silage ground at 3-4k gallons per are. I have LESS in GLAS

Rest of the slurry is spread after first cut

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Virtually all the slurry goes on silage ground. I get contractor in first week in April. Any bare paddocks get 1500 gallons/acre rest is spread on silage ground at 3-4k gallons per are. I have LESS in GLAS

Rest of the slurry is spread after first cut

Utilising the slurry. Nice

Reggie. wrote: »
    Utilising the slurry. Nice

A lot of people have no value in slurry. They see it as a cost. Spread it the cheapest and handiest way possible. Spread it after silage is cut on good sunny days.

I look at it as a fertlizer it is break even with bagged fertilizer on general maybe not this year but normally it is.

I buy 4.5 T of Urea, 2T of Can and 3-4T of 18-6-12 annually. Have it landed in the yard in January. After that I may have to buy a bit of extra N in some form or other.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

A lot of people have no value in slurry. They see it as a cost. Spread it the cheapest and handiest way possible. Spread it after silage is cut on good sunny days.

I look at it as a fertlizer it is break even with bagged fertilizer on general maybe not this year but normally it is.

I buy 4.5 T of Urea, 2T of Can and 3-4T of 18-6-12 annually. Have it landed in the yard in January. After that I may have to buy a bit of extra N in some form or other.

Couldn't agree more. I see too much of the "Dumping" of slurry at times. Just want the tanks emptied. Understandable if under pressure but many beef lads around here just practically dump it out asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Why good sunny days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Why good sunny days?

It dries into a crust on the ground instead of absorbing into the soil. There's probably a higher evaporation rate too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Started spreading today... Spring has arrived... I love spreading at this time of year

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Why good sunny days?

Slurry that forms a crust is more likely to hinder grass growth. If you ever notice a smell after slurry it ammonia this is N evaporating into the air.

Slurry spread in the spring on average has twice the N absorbed into the ground as slurry spread in summer. Slurry spread with LESS equipment has about twice that of slurry spread without it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

What prices are people paying for Urea and 18-6-12?

Is there anyone putting out 18-6-12 these days?

farmer2018 wrote: »
    What prices are people paying for Urea and 18-6-12?

Is there anyone putting out 18-6-12 these days?

BIL doing second round with 18-6-12

What will have a quicker response this time of the year urea or 18-6-12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

What will have a quicker response this time of the year urea or 18-6-12?
    Depends on the land, but in general Urea in march and April gives the biggest bang for buck provided the land isn't poor or lacking. Ideally I'd be slurrying first followed by Urea 10 days latter

I got soil sample results back recently from an old pasture pH 5.3, P index 1 and K index 2, the lime requirement is 4.6 tonnes to the acre, What is the max amount of lime would you put out this year, would the 4.6t be too much? What fertiliser would you go with for the time being until I get lime out (no slurry)?

• Advertisement

I got soil sample results back recently from an old pasture pH 5.3, P index 1 and K index 2, the lime requirement is 4.6 tonnes to the acre, What is the max amount of lime would you put out this year, would the 4.6t be too much? What fertiliser would you go with for the time being until I get lime out (no slurry)?

I think you can only give max 2t of lime or acre per year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I think you can only give max 2t of lime or acre per year

I think 3 is safe enough. Never spread that much in one go myself but I think it's okay.
    3t now maybe and 2t in 3 years time?

I think 3 is safe enough. Never spread that much in one go myself but I think it's okay.

Nah I think 3t causes the ground to go real soft

Yes I was thinking something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

BIL doing second round with 18-6-12

First round out on cow ground yesterday never as late 135 kg/he of yarra amidas silage ground tomorrow 4 bags of 18s plus sulphur ,that ground and cow ground all got 2500 glns with t shoe in janurary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Got first fert out yday, a bag of urea everywhere. Have 10.10.20 unused from last year that I will spread on out farm and 2 paddocks that got no slurry. Half the farm for no slurry but may follow the cow's if I can on that ground. Highest cover in wettest field won't get into it for a couple of weeks unless there is exceptional drying altogether. Yellow out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Have fields fairly bare here after sheep grazed them 2 weeks ago.

Soil test shows 18-6-12 would suit these fields but I’m wondering if a bag of CAN now would give a quicker response as grass is scarce. And then I could throw out the 18-6-12 after they’ve it grazed.

It’s Sul-CAN if that makes any difference.

Would the 23-0-0 of CAN act that much faster than 18-6-12?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Have fields fairly bare here after sheep grazed them 2 weeks ago.

Soil test shows 18-6-12 would suit these fields but I’m wondering if a bag of CAN now would give a quicker response as grass is scarce. And then I could throw out the 18-6-12 after they’ve it grazed.

It’s Sul-CAN if that makes any difference.

Would the 23-0-0 of CAN act that much faster than 18-6-12?

The N in both is exactly the same. I usually go with Urea in the spring as it is just a cheaper formn of N. If the fields need P&K I would go with the 18-6-12. If your land is very short I use it a year long as it is cheap at present.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I’ve a good bit of ground well clipped off with sheep, got a bit of a trodding up, no real damage but now that it’s drying up am toying with the idea of over sowing some clover. Anyone ever do it?

Advertisement