Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-11-2018, 09:54   #61
blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
But if it was his undiagnosed, untreated schizophrenia which contributed to the offence then, yes, it's a factor that mitigates in sentencing, since it reduces his personal culpability and it suggests that risk to the community may be mitigated by diagnosis/treatment.

I think we agree that the newspaper reports of the psych reports are confusing, but one possible reading of this. . .

. . . is that, as a result of the diagnosis made in the first report, Rashid has received treatment which means that although still "psychologically vulnerable", he's not now "sufferingfrom a psychiatric illness".

(It's also worth pointing out that, if mental health issues are part of what's at the root of his offending, then in terms of risk to the community the longer he spends in prison the worse, since prison is not a place conducive to good or improved mental health.)

Also slightly off-topic: Yes, I know.
Yes it occurred to me that he's unlikely to have stabilised after being convicted of a heinous crime and imprisoned for it unless there was significant intervention. For all we know he is on high doses of haliperidol, in which case I doubt he's a threat to anybody right now. Cheaper than keeping him in prison too.
Advertisement
27-11-2018, 09:58   #62
blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blergh View Post
Yes it occurred to me that he's unlikely to have stabilised after being convicted of a heinous crime and imprisoned for it unless there was significant intervention. For all we know he is on high doses of haliperidol, in which case I doubt he's a threat to anybody right now. Cheaper than keeping him in prison too.
Those psych reports do seem contradictary since schizophrenics don't stop being schizophrenic afaik, regardless of how long they might stay stable for following an episode. I guess the overall conclusion was that he is at risk of developing it, and seems to have had some sort of psychotic episode.
27-11-2018, 10:06   #63
Will I Am Not

Quote:
The claim was not that the offender was a Muslim; this is undisputed. The claim was that the offender isn't being deported because "we have a Muslim leader", i.e. Varadkar.
Sorry, I got my wires crossed. I thought EOTR and yourself were referring to the guy in the article. I didn’t realise people actually thought Leo is a Muslim.
27-11-2018, 10:10   #64
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am Not View Post
Sorry, I got my wires crossed. I thought EOTR and yourself were referring to the guy in the article. I didn’t realise people actually thought Leo is a Muslim.
I don't think they do. I think they just pretend to for the purpose of provoking outrage.
(3) thanks from:
27-11-2018, 10:21   #65
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blergh View Post
Those psych reports do seem contradictary since schizophrenics don't stop being schizophrenic afaik, regardless of how long they might stay stable for following an episode. I guess the overall conclusion was that he is at risk of developing it, and seems to have had some sort of psychotic episode.
One's a psychological report; the other a psychiatric report. Per the newspapers, the psychological report said that Rashid "meets the diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia and delusional disorder", but that may not be quite the same as diagnosing him with schizophrenia or delusional disorder, since the diagnostic criteria for different conditions can overlap. One possible reading of what we're told her is the the psychologist said, in effect, "he ticks the boxes for schizophrenia and delusional disorder; he must have one or other of those conditions", and the pscychiatrist said "well, I don't think he currently has a psychiatric illness [but, by implication, he may have a mental disorder]".

The truth is that we're just guessing at what's in the reports; from the way the newspaper presents it, we don't even know whether the reports complement one another or contradict one another, and we certainly don't know what they said either about his culpability for his past behaviour or his propensity for future offending behaviour.
Advertisement
27-11-2018, 10:27   #66
PlaneSpeeking
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by end of the road View Post
no you won't.
Oh you know you will.

For the record, I equally condemn our home grown paedophiles and rapists - the difference is we can deport this animal. Well, should anyway.
27-11-2018, 10:28   #67
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeeking View Post
Oh you know you will.

For the record, I equally condemn our home grown paedophiles and rapists - the difference is we can deport this animal. Well, should anyway.
No, we can't. He's an Irish citizen.
27-11-2018, 10:43   #68
WillieMason

Quote:
Oh you know you will.

Abdur Rashid is Irish the 6 yr old was unlucky wrong place at the wrong time nothing could have prevented this from happening
27-11-2018, 10:43   #69
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn View Post
Yeh I get that now. That guy was a total loon.

Who the Fcuk thinks Leo is a Muslim. Most of the time I forget he isn’t white.
Me too. He has big Irish potato head on him, with just a slightly more tan complexion than your average Irish person.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-11-2018, 10:44   #70
PlaneSpeeking
Banned

Quote:
No, we can't. He's an Irish citizen.
Shouldn't citizenship being conferred on a person be able to be removed in the event that they commit a serious crime ?
Thanks from:
27-11-2018, 10:50   #71
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Shouldn't citizenship being conferred on a person be able to be removed in the event that they commit a serious crime ?

There are conditions under which citizenship by naturalisation can be revoked. Unfortunately "being a filthy pervert" is not one of them.
Thanks from:
27-11-2018, 10:52   #72
PlaneSpeeking
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
There are conditions under which citizenship by naturalisation can be revoked. Unfortunately "being a filthy pervert" is not one of them.
Mind you, given that the Brits can't remove passports of jihadis coming back from fighting for ISIS, we've got no chance kicking out a nonce.
Thanks from:
27-11-2018, 11:20   #73
Laois_Man

On a related topic. Breaking news: The serial rapist who abducted, repeatedly raped and terrorized a young Spanish girl in Dublin has just received a 5 and a half year sentence

That's a shameful length to give him!

Absolutely disgusting - for what he did!
(5) thanks from:
27-11-2018, 11:32   #74
Spleerbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laois_Man View Post
On a related topic. Breaking news: The serial rapist who abducted, repeatedly raped and terrorized a young Spanish girl in Dublin has just received a 5 and a half year sentence

And that's with a load of priors related to similar offences too if I remember correctly. Joke! He should be put away for life
(4) thanks from:
27-11-2018, 11:33   #75
PlaneSpeeking
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laois_Man View Post

Will he serve anywhere near that or are we talking remission etc ?

To my mind, what he did means the most logical punishment is castration with a rusty bike chain.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion