Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Clear sky here for the last 2 hrs, looks like rain/snow heading to Tipp out the kitchen window.

The ISS is very bright just now, ssw, 40% from horizon. (for next 10 mons only)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Nothing to report here yet, although some very nasty looking clouds seem to be passing over head!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like western half of Ireland and most of Scotland is best places to be over next few days, thats where the coldest weather will be and most of the showers. Hopefully we'll get lucky in the east, most of England and Wales looks like there gonna miss out this time but things look better for eastern areas by Monday/Tuesday

Indeed, it looks that way from the latest GFS run. Although there have been many changes in the latest run, the cold pool of air, at times sub 528dam remains firmly over Ireland until at least the early hours of next Wednesday, remaining over the eastern portion of the country until Thursday.

The snow risk charts are again indicating that next Tuesday could prove to be very interesting for many parts, however these are as ever subject to regular change.

IMO, we also need to remember that these snow risks charts are generated on the basis of many factors, including wind direction etc. IMO, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were reports of sleet / hail / snow showers in any part of Ireland from tomorrow onwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

ch750536 wrote: »
    Clear sky here for the last 2 hrs, looks like rain/snow heading to Tipp out the kitchen window.

The ISS is very bright just now, ssw, 40% from horizon. (for next 10 mons only)

ch , any chance of opening the kitchen window on the other side :rolleyes:

in my direction.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

images.php?country=gb&sat=&1202306602620

Nice little low forming there to the northwest of the country. Whatever about snow, there may be the risk of some thunder in places tonight as that low gets nearer, and that'll do me for now..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Have not had the time to look at GFS 12Z but my own forecast spots something for my area:eek:

http://www.irlweather.com/wxsimforecast.php

I like it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

kerry1960 wrote: »

LOL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hi guys.

This evenings runs are again very good especially the UKM which compared to yesterday has extended the cold air much further southeast.

It would seem tonight and tomorrow best chance of snow to the north and west.

This transferring to the east and southeast during Friday night, Saturday and into Sunday.

Then perhaps fun and games for all next week but that's too far away to tell at this juncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

perhaps fun and games for all next week but that's too far away to tell at this juncture.

You think the cold snap could last that long?

CianRyan wrote: »
    You think the cold snap could last that long?

It will be very cold right up until next Wednesday at least ;)

• Advertisement

SWEET!(:

Ahaha.
    How cold would you reckon it would have to be to put a lair of ice on a lake?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

kerry1960 wrote: »

Looks dark over Kerry just now. Put yer light on so I can see something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thats not to say in a weeks time something happens to reintroduce the atlantic...much to the tears of most of us!

Don't mention the war, dont! :D:D:D

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

RTE weather not very good for precip on east coast over next couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Just saw Jean Byrne deliver the teatime forecast on RTE1 TV. Whilst it will be very cold in the next few days, the forecast doesn't look like the blizzard that most (including me !! :D) are hoping for :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I,d say sunday into monday is when we will see alot of snow down the irish sea and east coast. Nice little front prog to sweep down the irish sea.

The long term forcast showed snowclouds over dublin for a few days though.

Well lads i don't really watch the forecasts much anymore because i feel we have better or just as good info ourselves available online everywhere.

What i will say is i can't see any organised precipitation before Sunday afternoon. From Friday night through Saturday however there is the liklyhood of snow showers moving in off the Irish sea and could give lying snow to areas.

Then towards Sunday and into the early part of next week there could be organised snow.

shamwari wrote: »
    Just saw Jean Byrne deliver the teatime forecast on RTE1 TV. Whilst it will be very cold in the next few days, the forecast doesn't look like the blizzard that most (including me !! :D) are hoping for :o

Don't despair, I am still very confident that eastern parts of Ireland will see snow. As mentioned by Kippure and C Ryan, the snow threat develops for Eastern areas really from Sunday onwards.

Indeed, the BBC beta version of snow cover shows snow moving south over Ireland on Monday night.

I think all eastern areas still stand a good chance of seeing some snow.

Its a very promising and decidedly cold outlook. :)

Well lads i don't really watch the forecasts much anymore because i feel we have better or just as good info ourselves available online everywhere.

What i will say is i can't see any organised precipitation before Sunday afternoon. From Friday night through Saturday however there is the liklyhood of snow showers moving in off the Irish sea and could give lying snow to areas.

Then towards Sunday and into the early part of next week there could be organised snow.

Hey Weathercheck, the forecast from RTE was indeed very very vague. I think the coming few days are going to be nowcast events, especially from Sat night onwards... Would you think that the south east also stands to see some snowfall, based on your latest opinions and predictions? :)

• Advertisement

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Hey Weathercheck, the forecast from RTE was indeed very very vague. I think the coming few days are going to be nowcast events, especially from Sat night onwards... Would you think that the south east also stands to see some snowfall, based on your latest opinions and predictions? :)

Your probably in a decent position for snow for sure, well inland so any chance of of the sleety stuff is ruled out so all you need is some precip and you should get that obviously more towards Sunday/Monday but it depends on the intensity of the precip moving ashore during tomorrow night and Saturday you could then also.

Snowaddict, what part of Kilkenny are you in? Welcome to Boards.ie also - nice to see this community on here growing. I had a quick glance over on TWO, and agree that the few comments left were a tad distasteful. I find many of them over there tend to ignore the Irish brigade and the few that reply are generally condescending.

Thankfully, we've got a great bunch here, with a good sense of humour and guys/gals that actually go above and beyond the call of courtesy to help a fellow member out. It would be nice to see a few more on here posting, especially during the summer also lads, eyes and ears in all counties would be a great feat.

Going to have a quick look at the charts now and offer my humble opinion shortly. Winter number four on boards.ie for me has just begun! //feck, it's hard to believe that I am on here 4 years//

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Looks like we wont be too lucky down south again!! :mad:

Sucks being closer to the Equator aye?
    :rolleyes:

Yep, temps are going right down, here in Tallaght.
    Gonna stick the hot water bottle in my cats kennle now, poor oul needs it.

Danno wrote: »
    Snowaddict, what part of Kilkenny are you in? Welcome to Boards.ie also - nice to see this community on here growing. I had a quick glance over on TWO, and agree that the few comments left were a tad distasteful. I find many of them over there tend to ignore the Irish brigade and the few that reply are generally condescending.

Thankfully, we've got a great bunch here, with a good sense of humour and guys/gals that actually go above and beyond the call of courtesy to help a fellow member out. It would be nice to see a few more on here posting, especially during the summer also lads, eyes and ears in all counties would be a great feat.

Going to have a quick look at the charts now and offer my humble opinion shortly. Winter number four on boards.ie for me has just begun! //feck, it's hard to believe that I am on here 4 years//

Thanks a million for the welcome! :) I'm located a bit north of Kilkenny City. What part of Laois are you in yourself? Indeed, they even refer to Ireland as 'old blighty' in their comments, which is quite unfair.

I eagerly await your forecast. Very cold weather on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

CianRyan wrote: »
    Gonna stick the hot water bottle in my cats kennle now, poor oul needs it.

Bring it in out of that will ye! The poor fecker. Stick it in the bed with you! :P

3.3c and DP of 1.3c in Carlow town.

Thats some set of charts IMHO. If everybody does not see snow at some stage over the next 5 days I'd be highly surprised.

One thing that is worth watching for tonight is those two circulations out off our north western coast, say 350 miles NW of Donegal... could pose a threat to the mid west and south west come morning?

It seems that under the current flow, The mountains of Iceland and the Faroe Islands are spawning these critters, being swung down SWwards in the main flow before jutting eastwards over Ireland. They'll get plenty of fuel from the mild, but not too mild, North Atlantic. One to watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It might be the wine but i'm really feeling this could be the best cold snap for the east coast in many years (and many to come).
    I really hope ye all have camera's at the ready because spells like this are as rare as hens teeth.
    Tomorrrow I'm going out to find a couple of stones, a pair of twigs and a carrot for snowman cam this weekend :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/dwd084.html

This looks like fun for all :)

• Advertisement

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the welcome! :) I'm located a bit north of Kilkenny City. What part of Laois are you in yourself? Indeed, they even refer to Ireland as 'old blighty' in their comments, which is quite unfair.

I eagerly await your forecast. Very cold weather on the way.

Just north along the very winding N77 road in Durrow. Another poster, StratoQ posts here very occasionally and is in the north of Kilkenny City. His weather station (I presume it is his one :D ) is online here: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IKILKENN2
    That link should prove invaluable to you as your probably only a few miles away from it.
    My station can be accessed from the link in my signature, so another nearby station for you to keep an eye on current conditions in the North Kilkenny/South Laois region.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement