Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to stock up on.. Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

fgs things arent going to change - no stockpiling here. im exhausted enough forcing myself to do a normal shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

We don't grow the hard wheats here needed to produce flour so the best quality Irish flour is added to the harder wheat flour to make the flour we use.

There's also issues with phytosanitary controls as the wheat from the UK would, in general, suffer from the same diseases as here but importing European wheat could lead to the introduction of different diseases and strains of diseases which Irish crops would not have much resistance towards.

Why would the wheat get out into the wild from the bakery? It’s not planted. And surely under existing EU laws that wheat can be imported even if it isn’t.

Most of the panicky posts here are hilarious. The U.K. is going to still try trade with the EU post Brexit. If buyers in companies in Europe who make chocolate (ie Cadbury’s) have to replace some UK ingredients because of cost they’ll do that.

And tarrifs may not matter that much if, as I suspect, the pound drops significantly, so that may offset some extra taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Shur what's the point of stocking up on anything? By the time all our relatives and friends living and working in the UK return, we'll be eating each other.

Seriously, do people really believe the Brits will starve after Brexit? :pac:

No, I think people think we are going to starve after Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Condoms for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Why would the wheat get out into the wild from the bakery? It’s not planted. And surely under existing EU laws that wheat can be imported even if it isn’t.

Most of the panicky posts here are hilarious. The U.K. is going to still try trade with the EU post Brexit. If buyers in companies in Europe who make chocolate (ie Cadbury’s) have to replace some UK ingredients because of cost they’ll do that.

And tarrifs may not matter that much if, as I suspect, the pound drops significantly, so that may offset some extra taxes.
    Wheat doesn't go to the baker, flour does.

Wheat is transported to mills, to the one mill left here, and processed to produce wheat flour. The wheat that doesn't make the grade for flour is diverted to feed mills to produce animal feed. The remainder of the processed wheat, chaff and ground seed coatings, are taken to feed mills to produce animal feed.

That wheat remainders are combined with other non food grade feeds to produce different animal feeds. Some, a very small percentage, are cooked and mixed in with molasses to produce cooked feeds which pose no difficulties.

The majority isn't cooked and is just mixed and extruded to produce pelleted feeds. Those produce a large danger as the heat produced in the processing isn't high enough for long enough to kill off any pathogens present in the seed and seed coat.

Similar to the difficulties in importing pork where the processing isn't good enough to kill off diseases like Foot and Mouth from the porks original countries so the standards for importing pork and beef are extremely high. A standard to which Britain, post Brexit, seems committed to lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

fgs things arent going to change - no stockpiling here. im exhausted enough forcing myself to do a normal shop.

When it snowed heavy last year the place turned into 1970s Moscow overnight. Bread ran out and I queued for an hour in my local shop. I don't even have any grass to eat in my house anymore as I got rid of the real stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Hard Brexit will happen and the world will go on just like before. The same twits told us the world would end when Trump got elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Not really.

No customs checks on TIR, so minimal delays on the landbridge. Drivers with Irish passports can travel visa free. Or they could send over the trailers or unaccompanied so there's no delays at passport control.

Yes the ferry from Belgium takes 30 hours. But it's over 600Km from Dover to Holyhead and tuckers are limited in the hours they can do.

Unless it's stuck at the end of a 10 mile tailback waiting for all the other stuff to clear customs.

There's some medication I need but besides that I won't be stocking up. The supply chains will be dodgy but we'll still have food etc. The Uk will have it far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Barr's icream soda. I already stockpile (because it's hard to find) but I have visions of trekking across the wilds of Armagh on a donkey to smuggle it in if we end up with a hard border.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Grayson wrote: »
    Unless it's stuck at the end of a 10 mile tailback waiting for all the other stuff to clear customs.

There's some medication I need but besides that I won't be stocking up. The supply chains will be dodgy but we'll still have food etc. The Uk will have it far worse.
    They'll have to let them though or leave them on the ferries that are supposed to be taking the empty tucks back to France.

If they don't have bread , they can have beer instead !
    Sales of British malting barley to European Union brewers and malt producers for delivery after Brexit have come to a virtual stop because of uncertainty about future trading relations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Wotsits.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This was being discussed a few weeks ago on Maura and Daithi and they said that an item and we have issues with sourcing is toilet roll because a lot of it is imported from the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Bread makers trying to spin off another "shortage" like last blizzard come brexit. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

"They say that every society is only three meals away from revolution. Deprive a culture of food for three meals, and you'll have an anarchy. And it's true, isn't it? You haven't eaten for a couple of days, and you've turned into a barbarian."
    -Arnold J. Rimmer

The most famous example been the French Revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

If only we had our own sugar industry

That would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Union Jacks.

When the Scots secede from the union ,they will increase in value .Antiques usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Won't effect us until next Christmas, but supervalu mince pies which are the nicest of the "mass produced" mince pies are made in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Bread makers trying to spin off another "shortage" like last blizzard come brexit. :rolleyes:
    In terms of food security, there's only 90-100 days of food available at any one time and a lot of that would include food continuously produced like milk and meat. And that's assuming food could be transported to where it's needed, similar to what would happen with a longer period of snowfall here last spring.

Food supplies aren't as secure as people would like to think. Brexit shortages would only be a minor inconvenience in comparison to some scenarios.

"They say that every society is only three meals away from revolution. Deprive a culture of food for three meals, and you'll have an anarchy. And it's true, isn't it? You haven't eaten for a couple of days, and you've turned into a barbarian."
    -Arnold J. Rimmer

Ah, goalpost head. The J stands for Judas........quite possibly one of the greatest name reveals in fiction. The best, obviously, being "Eddie Elizabeth Hitler".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

As it happens, my parents' dog relies on a daily medication which is currently being stockpiled in the UK and as a result has been in very, very short supply in Ireland since November. They normally get a quarterly supply of it at a time but it's currently being eked out monthly if we're lucky but as little as a few days a time on occasion. We're hoping that once Brexit happens, the drug, which is manufactured in Germany, will become easier to get hold of again. But it's definitely opened my eyes to a need to try and be aware of what will and won't change come March 29th.

Brexit is due to happen right as what's known as "The Hungry Gap" begins. That's the period of April, May and early June where winter crops have been harvested and early summer crops are yet to bear yield. It's a time that we largely rely on imported fruit and vegetables. I'm working off the assumption that the loss of the landbridge across the UK will lead to delays and shortages on imported fruit and veg as we adapt to importing directly from the continent and the longer import times will effect perishable items like fruit and veg. It's not going to be a total disaster for us, like it has the potential to be in the UK but I'm stocking up on tinned (in juice) and frozen fruit and veg. Frozen fruit and vegetables can usually be refrozen if they defrost during power outages. I've also completely avoided dipping into my stash of frozen currants and berries from the garden that I normally use for winter baking.

I'm also stocking up on particular products from the UK that I like. A Twinnings fruit tea, worcestershire sauce, a couple of supplements I take that I know come through the UK, etc. I do most of my baking with oats which I think will be ok, but I'll buy an extra few bags to be on the safe side. I'm only buying non-perishable items that I know I'll definitely eat. If there are no shortages, I'll just eat my way through them over time. But I think there could be an uncertain few weeks while we adapt. If there are, I'll be glad I stocked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Why stock up when there's a career to be had in piracy? I'm going to buy a hi-speed rib, a 70mm cannon, AK47s & a load of ammo. Then hit the freighters as they near Dublin Port.

I've storage space all sorted in Smuggler's Cave just outside Loughshinny.

(I may buy a few extra boxes of OXO cubes just in case.)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

Imported Second hand cars. Aren't they supposed to be 20-30% more expensive after Brexit, will be subject to VAT I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

They say that every society is only three meals away from revolution. Deprive a culture of food for three meals, and you'll have an anarchy. -Arnold J. Rimmer

Probably one of the best forecasts for this would be the results of a direct full impact of a X30+ solar flare with a 1750+nT CME (plasma rain) upon the Northern Hemisphere. (A bit like the Canadian event 1859).

Brexit isn't near as bad as that, as the widespread burnout of electrical transformers (no water pumps, no sewage systems, no light, no aircon, no electric, no shops, no credit cards, no atms, no GPS, no phones, little transport) carries fatality rate of up to 80% within 3mths and cost of $2tr in the US alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Condescension. I'd say Fine Gael are bedside themselves.

oh and Jaffa Cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mikeecho wrote: »

Is there anything that I should get pre hard exit..

Popcorn. Lots of popcorn.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rn wrote: »
    Won't effect us until next Christmas, but supervalu mince pies which are the nicest of the "mass produced" mince pies are made in Scotland.
    nay bother , once they have indyref2 Scotland will be back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

(I may buy a few extra boxes of OXO cubes just in case.)

Stock up, on OXO...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 eggman100

You don't need to stockpile anything for brexit, I would more rather stockpile things in case of breakdown of society in general, but there is no likelyhood of economic collapse or war at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hard Brexit will happen and the world will go on just like before. The same twits told us the world would end when Trump got elected.

Trump has been...pretty bad. He's not a dictator and can't just click his fingers, set the world on fire & ruin everything (edit: unless he goes totally nuts and pushes his "big" nuclear button) but he has taken some mind-boggling positions for a US president and done a lot of damage in 2 years. Bad as things were with Bush he never would have supported the UK in "Brexit", called out the EU as an enemy of the United States, or threatened to pull the US out of NATO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Trump has been...pretty bad. He's not a dictator and can't just click his fingers, set the world on fire & ruin everything (edit: unless he goes totally nuts and pushes his "big" nuclear button) but he has taken some mind-boggling positions for a US president and done a lot of damage in 2 years. Bad as things were with Bush he never would have supported the UK in "Brexit", called out the EU as an enemy of the United States, or threatened to pull the US out of NATO!

He may be optically bad but he hasn't done anything really bad. Yet.

Advertisement