Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to stock up on.. Brexit

Options
  • 20-01-2019 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭

So , if brexit and a hard boarder become a reality, what products will be in short supply.

It's fine to say that xyz are made in Ireland, but some of their ingredients may be UK sourced.

I'll stockpile 200l diesel, 80l petrol, some Heinz products, sauce and cans.. essentials like YR sauce and Colman's mustard, Lee and peering wousyershire sauce, and a few other bits.

Is there anything that I should get pre hard exit.. should it happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

mikeecho wrote: »
    So , if brexit and a hard boarder become a reality, what products will be in short supply.

It's fine to say that xyz are made in Ireland, but some of their ingredients may be UK sourced.

I'll stockpile 200l diesel, 80l petrol, some Heinz products, sauce and cans.. essentials like YR sauce and Colman's mustard, Lee and peering wousyershire sauce, and a few other bits.

A good pair of snow shoes , a can opener , matches , batteries , a long rope , tinned food , plenty of winter clothes .
    Because when it snows this year , it will be unforgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Lyons tea, Siucre, Cully and Sully soups, and various other “Irish” products.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Petrol etc will go off if stored for any lenght of time. Worcestershire sauce on the other hand will last for ever :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

I am looking forward to all the european sauces and foods moving , seeing an opportunity and new market. German sausage, french condiments, any Spanish food.
    I will be stockpiling flour and other baking ingredients and spices. I foresee a massive shortage of batchloaf and large swatches of Tallaght facing starvation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Pallet of Carling and a few wife beaters

• Advertisement

Pallet of Carling and a few wife beaters

Very little gets manifactured in Uk these days. Its economy is effectively services and retail. The main issue with Brexit is tjat we are at the end of supply chain reliant on Uk. It will take a few months for these chains to organise alternate routes. Expect temporary shortages of cheap tat one does not need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I m going to series link coronation street. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Guns, I’m stockpiling guns!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Bovril

Oh wait I won’t because it’s rank ! The Brits can keep it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Crumpets

• Advertisement

The british have relied on cheap food to keep unrest down in their cities for centuries. They are nowhere near self sufficiency in food production so cheap imports are essential. Expect to see the price of food rise in uk, with recurrance of the London riots times 5. The british government will be desperate for cheap food imports and with someone like Boris Johnson as pm expect gunboat diplomacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Coco Pops. They'll be first to go. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Jellied eels :D

"They say that every society is only three meals away from revolution. Deprive a culture of food for three meals, and you'll have an anarchy. And it's true, isn't it? You haven't eaten for a couple of days, and you've turned into a barbarian."
    -Arnold J. Rimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'll be sure to buy extra popcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Marmite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Irish passports - they could become more valuable after brexit...

Can I stockpile a roaming allowance for my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Lots of tin foil for my tin foil hat as the fake news media try to blame all the post Brexit disasters on the UK. I'm onto them.

Home heating oil, there is every chance that this will sky-rocket in price.

Wine.

Ok, I know wine is not produced in the uk, but in the main, everything bound for Ireland comes through the uk. Large delays are expected and it will take a period of time until it corrects itself. There are bound to be shortages of pretty much everything in the meantime. Stock-piling could become a way of life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I m going to series link coronation street. Just in case.
    I haven't watched Coronation Street in years.

To catch up, once Brexit kicks in, I'm going to binge Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome and series three of the Walking Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hilarious memes to post on Facebook when the eejits that I know voted for it lose their jobs and a tea bag costs £8.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If only we had our own sugar industry

RMAOK wrote: »
    Irish passports - they could become more valuable after brexit...

Its now harder to get a dog licence than an Irish passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

There'll be a shortage of bread. All the flour for 'Irish' bread is imported from the UK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First find out where stuff comes from.

Fuel is shipped from Rotterdam :rolleyes:

Many UK bands are foreign owned or made on the continent so will come in on containers, cross the UK without checks under the TIR convention or come direct on the Zeebrugge Ferries which have 8Km of vehicle lanes each.

I'd probably get Weetabix but then again I stock up when it's on special offer anyway so no change there. And besides if Sterling falls it'll probably get cheaper even with some tariffs.

Brexit stockpile: Favourite foods you might not know are British
    Do yourself a favour get Barry's instead of Lyons Tea

HB Ice Cream - lots of this is made on the continent not just in the UK.

HP Brown Sauce is made in the Netherlands,
    Heinz big factories are Kraft Heinz EU, Elst (The Netherlands) and Kitt Green (UK) we'll have to wait to see if they swap production.

Places like Aldi and Lidl and continental ones like Spar would source locally as well as on the continent so probably not as affected as Dunnes and Supervalu and the smaller Irish (lots from Musgraves). But all have been diversifying like mad this last year.

Tesco and Marks and Spencers ? *gets popcorn*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Home heating oil, there is every chance that this will sky-rocket in price.

Wine.

Ok, I know wine is not produced in the uk, but in the main, everything bound for Ireland comes through the uk. Large delays are expected and it will take a period of time until it corrects itself. There are bound to be shortages of pretty much everything in the meantime. Stock-piling could become a way of life!
    There are Ferries direct to France from Dublin now.

And from Cork to Spain.

Half the movements on the Irish sea are unaccompanied. Just the trailer so no need to passport or visa check the drivers. Simply do the same on the French side. (also solves the LHD /RHD thing)

A big blue TIR sign means that goods between here and the continent don't get checked at customs so the UK will just wave them through to free up space for the ones that do need to be checked. LOLs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

If only we had our own sugar industry

Sugar is made in many places across the EU, France, Germany and Poland.

There is also a venture right now to bring it back to Ireland.

McGaggs wrote: »
    There'll be a shortage of bread. All the flour for 'Irish' bread is imported from the UK.
    Worst case 8c to 10c a loaf. Only half the flour is imported from overseas.
    If it was a long term issue someone would setup more mills here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/milling-sector-warns-of-brexit-inflating-price-of-flour-1.3016495

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Despite the doom and gloom this is something - the manufacturer, distributor, wholesaler and retailer network that capitalism is pretty good at.

A factory producing bread will have a buyer of flour, he will (post Brexit) have to source his flour from outside the UK if the U.K. is prohibitively expense. All companies do that and it sorts itself out.

That said knowing Irish capitalism they’ll just throw another 20% on everting including Irish sources beef.

Advertisement