Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stan & Ollie

Options
  • 19-09-2018 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,339 ✭✭✭✭

Based on the lives of the comedy double act Laurel and Hardy, the film stars Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly as Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Based on the lives of the comedy double act Laurel and Hardy, the film stars Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly as Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

Have to say I wasn't looking forward to seeing what they had done with the greatest comedy double act of all time, but I have to say Coogan sounds great as Stan and John C. Reilly as Ollie. Hopefully the full film does them justice

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

They played in the Olympia Theatre in Dublin as part of that tour in the early 1950's and stayed in the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire for the duration.

I think that's a movie to be seen in the Stella cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Coogan's accent is a bit dodge!!

John C. Really really looks the part!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Can't wait, grew up on Laurel and Hardy repeats as a kid in the 90's, still watch them regularly enough to this day. Huge fan, hope this is good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wedwood wrote: »
    They played in the Olympia Theatre in Dublin as part of that tour in the early 1950's and stayed in the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire for the duration.

I think that's a movie to be seen in the Stella cinema.

At 1:53 there's a crowd scene at what appears to be Cobh harbour, so looks like the film may partially take place in Ireland.

Looks all right; tbh I've never actually seen a Laurel & Hardy film / sketch in its entirety, so not immediately drawn to what appears to be a fairly cut n' dry biography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

pixelburp wrote: »
    tbh I've never actually seen a Laurel & Hardy film / sketch in its entirety, so not immediately drawn to what appears to be a fairly cut n' dry biography.

AH HEOR!

Do yourself a favour and watch this...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Or this

Or this

I’ve loved Laurel and Hardy since I taped all their movies off RTÉ when I was a kid. Wasn’t too keen on this but the trailer was better than I thought it would be - Reilly looks the part as Hardy (albeit with heavy prosthetics) and Coogan looks decent as Laurel (looks more the part when he’s performing as Laurel than offstage Laurel)

Will definitely check it out, even if the trailer gives a lot of the plot and structure away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was a real staple of 70's TV , I guess it was cheap lol and I can only imagine L&H influenced shows like Only Fools and Horses.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

At 1:53 there's a crowd scene at what appears to be Cobh harbour, so looks like the film may partially take place in Ireland.

Looks all right; tbh I've never actually seen a Laurel & Hardy film / sketch in its entirety, so not immediately drawn to what appears to be a fairly cut n' dry biography.

As the film is about their farewell tour I think that gives it an advantage over it just being a standard cut n'dry biography. Hopefully there will be more focus to it.

I'm looking forward to it. Laurel and Hardy were a big part of my life growing up, they've had me in stitches so many times. From all that I've read about them, they seem to have had enormous love and affection for each other and I hope that comes across in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't think I've seen any of their stuff so will check out the ones posted. My experience with them is from the cartoons

• Advertisement

Way out West is a classic, I loved that movie as a kid.

It's up on YouTube if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

/\

You beat me to it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Very disappointed with the trailer tbh. Grew up with Laurel and Hardy so was looking forward to this but Coogan's accent is all over the place, I just kept hearing his Paul Calf character in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The love and affection we found that day at Cobh was simply unbelievable. There were hundreds of boats blowing whistles and mobs and mobs of people screaming on the docks. We just couldn't understand what it was all about. And then something happened that I can never forget. All the church bells in Cobh started to ring out our theme song "Dance of the Cuckoos" and Babe looked at me and we cried. I'll never forget that day. Never.

All Oliver Hardy's friends called him Babe.

Laurel and Hardy visited Ireland twice. The first time they played two weeks at the Olympia. I remember reading Hugh Leonard's description of it. When "Dance of the Cuckoos" played, just prior to their arrival on stage, the audience went absolutely mental.

The second time they stayed for about a month in Dun Laoghaire but only did one show.

When staying in Dun Laoghaire they got invited to attend a wedding reception. I was certain I had seen a clip from a trailer showing this, but it dosent seem to exist, so I must have imagined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Very disappointed with the trailer tbh. Grew up with Laurel and Hardy so was looking forward to this but Coogan's accent is all over the place, I just kept hearing his Paul Calf character in it.
    I don't know what accent to expect, frankly. Stan Laurel was English, but after spending all those years in the USA, a little confusion might be understandable. :cool:

Full trailer just out:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

yup gonna go watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well....is it worth the trip to the cinema or should i wait till the dvd release

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm going to see it tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a BBC Films filum so I'd not be surprised if it's a Christmas treat this year 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen it a few days back and loved it.

I think both John C and Steve's performances deserve an accolade or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Heard in the movies there last shows took place in
    Olympia Dublin
    ???

If so how come they don't make a big deal of it there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hard boiled eggs and nuts on standyby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Heard in the movies there last shows took place in
    Olympia Dublin
    ???

If so how come they don't make a big deal of it there ?

They played one night at the Olympia on their final tour in 1953. They then moved on to the UK where they played their final stage show in 1954.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Laurel & Hardy were incredible performers. They reshot quite a lot of their shows for the overseas market in German & Spanish, which they learnt phonetically, rather than have local actors over dubbing.

Can't see many doing that today.

The bar in the Royal Marine in Dun Laoghaire is called 'Hardy's' after their stay there in the 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

"He" by Irish author John Connolly. An "imagined" but very factual biography of Stan Laurel.
    Excellent book for any fans of the duo. Reveals a lot of the nasty side of Hollywood and Stan's complicated private life.
    Don't be put off by the IT's less than complimentary review. (I found the book in the library btw.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

"He" by Irish author John Connolly. An "imagined" but very factual biography of Stan Laurel.
    Excellent book for any fans of the duo. Reveals a lot of the nasty side of Hollywood and Stan's complicated private life.
    Don't be put off by the IT's less than complimentary review. (I found the book in the library btw.)

I'm reading 'He' at the moment and was lucky to get tickets to the screening of Stan and Ollie in the Lighthouse cinema tonight where John Connolly will be interviewing the stars of the film.

I'm really enjoying the book. It's a big departure from his detective novels but I think he's a good enough writer to be successful at most types of fiction that he tries.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I'm reading 'He' at the moment and was lucky to get tickets to the screening of Stan and Ollie in the Lighthouse cinema tonight where John Connolly will be interviewing the stars of the film.

Which screening is this? There are tickets available for both screenings tonight.

Will it be live in the theatre or by video link or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Pelvis wrote: »
    Which screening is this? There are tickets available for both screenings tonight.

It's on at 6:30. I only got tickets as I was on twitter when the Lighthouse tweeted tickets were on sale. I think it sold out very quickly. They're going to be present at the screening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it this evening, and I thought it was brilliant.

Advertisement