Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Muguruza being pushed all the way in her match. Could be another upset on the cards.

Muguruza in real trouble now. 4-1 down in the third.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

More fun facts for today:

"After his win today, Djokovic becomes the 2nd male player (after Federer) to win at least 60 matches at each slam. 3rd including women (Serena Williams). Demonstrates Novak's incredible consistency on all surfaces."

"In the 2nd set of his win today, Delpo won 100% of both 1st and 2nd service points."

"20 years ago today, Federer won the Wimbledon juniors in singles and doubles."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Zverev in right trouble again

I just cannot fathom how he can be so flat in slams compared to masters'

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rob2D wrote: »
    He's a right mix. He's an American born in Saudi Arabia, Dad was Jamaican, played for Nigeria and mom is Irish but an Australian citizen.

If we want to claim him we'll have to get in line.

Quick, let's claim him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

Does it bug anyone else that BBC coverage starts just as players are due on court but they can't be bothered moving over to actually show tennis til after some "chat"? Today for example joining a match 5 games in.
    Surely do your pre-match earlier or just save some money and go straight to the tennis?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Enjoying the Fritz Zverev match. Helps that both are very easy on the eye.
    They panned to the players box and said there’s Fritz’s wife. Of two years. He’s 20!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Enjoying the Fritz Zverev match. Helps that both are very easy on the eye.
    They panned to the players box and said there’s Fritz’s wife. Of two years. He’s 20!!

Yep, a shotgun marriage after she fell pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

jr86 wrote: »
    No chance I'm afraid, LOL talk about arrogance from them - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/04/wimbledon-chiefs-surprised-fifa-decision-schedule-world-cup/

Yeah FIFA should reschedule a match which will attract 1 billion viewers :pac:

I'm the definition of a causal football fan these days (I could barely name the 20 PL teams anymore without Google) but there is zero chance I'd watch a tennis match over the biggest sporting event on the planet
    If the Wimbledon Committee were running Ireland we wouldn’t owe 46 billion euro. They won’t shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

splinter65 wrote: »
    If the Wimbledon Committee were running Ireland we wouldn’t owe 46 billion euro. They won’t shift.

If England make the final they will simply have to.

Unless they want their ratings to be at an all time low, and have the embarrassment of some people not showing up to centre court to watch the final.

• Advertisement

Another womens seed gone. Thats 15 seeds gone from the women's competition.

Querrey and Monfils are having a ding dong battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

And Venus in big trouble too. Could be 8 out of top 10 womens seeds out and still only R3. Carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Querrey gone.

Venus looking okay now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Federer has looked really impressive so far, albeit against some very average players. His draw really is a joke, worse than Nadals USO draw last year. But he is serving unbelievably well, and I can't see any one of the scrubs on his side of the draw even taking a set off him. Djokovic is the only hope to beat him in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Federer has looked really impressive so far, albeit against some very average players. His draw really is a joke, worse than Nadals USO draw last year. But he is serving unbelievably well, and I can't see any one of the scrubs on his side of the draw even taking a set off him. Djokovic is the only hope to beat him in the final.
    Nothing's worse than Nadal's USO17 draw.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Huge chance for Ostapenko to get to the semi's now, or even the final. I like the carnage but I will be disappointed if the finalist isn't one of either Kerber or Ostapenko.

Tough game coming up for Kerber v Osaka. Think she might be a bit vulnerable today.

Sure what do i know anyway? Easy peazy for Kerber.

Never saw a linesman calling out a player for swearing.
    I can understand Zverev’s point about him looking for attention though, earlier in the match he seemed to be smiling at someone while the camera was on him, just as one of them was about to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Halep gone.

Serena has it in the bag. No one left who can compete with her

• Advertisement

Edmund is a cheater. Should be led out by the elbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

that was absolutely disgraceful from both edmund and the umpire. Ball double bounced, edmund dropped his raquet, touched the net and the ball went out. he was awarded the point but he should have not accepted it. also the crowd were ignorant and had no class at all!! good job djokovic destroyed him after that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

bada_bing wrote: »
    that was absolutely disgraceful from both edmund and the umpire. Ball double bounced, edmund dropped his raquet, touched the net and the ball went out. he was awarded the point but he should have not accepted it. also the crowd were ignorant and had no class at all!! good job djokovic destroyed him after that!!!

Aye Djokovic is a paragon of virtue....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Delighted for Nishikori, he's going well.

Krygios is such a waste of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Elmo Farrell

The best thing about Edmund being gone is we won't have to endure looking at his fathers face anymore.

Why is there no Wimbledon on today? First time I've some free time to watch an entire game and it's not on. Have a break on the Monday for crying out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Elmo Farrell

Why is there no Wimbledon on today? First time I've some free time to watch an entire game and it's not on. Have a break on the Monday for crying out loud.

The middle sunday is always a day for a break so the courts can recover, been like that as long as I can remember.

Ostapenko :cool:

Federer getting a tough match here

• Advertisement

lol Federer won the first set in 16 mins. I'll have to catch the highlights before passing any judgement on the match but encouraging signs if the scoreline indicates anything.

Also +1 with the umpire. That decision was disgraceful. It was good to see Djokovic roaring at the end as a **** you to the crowd.

Unfortunately it looks like Serena is the clear favourite with Pliskova out. I hope so much for Ostapenko but I won't hold my breath.

Advertisement