Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Almost stayed with the Serena match but switched over to the Wozniacki/Macarova.

Disappointed to see Woz out but that was absolutely thrilling. Would have really felt for Macarova if she’d lost after all the chances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Imagine a Fed-Nadal final followed by England Brazil :D:D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yeah not sorry to see Wozniacki out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Karlovic loses 13-11 in last after 61 aces and only losing serve on last game

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

You can take Rory out of the girl but not all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Wozniacki didn't hold back in that interview. 
    Very disappointing that we have seen hardly any of Del Potro so far but he is on Number 1 court today against Lopez so they will probably cover that. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Just read up about Michael Mmoh. 20yo player from the US with an Irish mother. Mean't to be a rising star and took Gilles Muller to 5 sets here in Wimbledon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Just read up about Michael Mmoh. 20yo player from the US with an Irish mother. Mean't to be a rising star and took Gilles Muller to 5 sets here in Wimbledon.

He's a right mix. He's an American born in Saudi Arabia, Dad was Jamaican, played for Nigeria and mom is Irish but an Australian citizen.

If we want to claim him we'll have to get in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Imagine a Fed-Nadal final followed by England Brazil :D:D

"Followed by?" :pac:

If Nadal is playing, his first service game will do well to be completed by 4, with the time he takes between points ;)

Real nightmare for Wimbledon if England get through to the final. Either way i don't see too many UK and Irish viewers making the switch over to BBC 2 (first time ever not on BBC1) to watch the tennis.

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »

If Nadal is playing, his first service game will do well to be completed by 4, with the time he takes between points ;)

Real nightmare for Wimbledon if England get through to the final. Either way i don't see too many UK and Irish viewers making the switch over to BBC 2 (first time ever not on BBC1) to watch the tennis.

I will.

F**k England!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

World Cup Final will take precedence for most sports fans, myself included.

They should move the start time to noon. Honestly, this won't happen very often. The next World Cup is in November/December, so it will be 8 years before this issue crops up again, and usually the World Cup final is evening time in Europe. In 2026 the final will be in the USA so it will likely be around 8pm Irish time.

Seriously, The All England Club should swallow their pride here. Nobody is going to watch other than die hard tennis fans, and football haters, even if it is Federer V Nadal.

Chivito550 wrote: »

They should move the start time to noon. Honestly, this won't happen very often. The next World Cup is in November/December, so it will be 8 years before this issue crops up again, and usually the World Cup final is evening time in Europe. In 2026 the final will be in the USA so it will likely be around 8pm Irish time.

Seriously, The All England Club should swallow their pride here. Nobody is going to watch other than die hard tennis fans, and football haters, even if it is Federer V Nadal.

No chance I'm afraid, LOL talk about arrogance from them - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/04/wimbledon-chiefs-surprised-fifa-decision-schedule-world-cup/

Yeah FIFA should reschedule a match which will attract 1 billion viewers :pac:

I'm the definition of a causal football fan these days (I could barely name the 20 PL teams anymore without Google) but there is zero chance I'd watch a tennis match over the biggest sporting event on the planet

I'm a die hard football fan - season ticket for my club for 37 years and I fly from Ireland each weekend for games.

I'll still be watching the tennis if it's Fed.

No chance I'm afraid, LOL talk about arrogance from them - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/04/wimbledon-chiefs-surprised-fifa-decision-schedule-world-cup/

Yeah FIFA should reschedule a match which will attract 1 billion viewers :pac:

I'm the definition of a causal football fan these days (I could barely name the 20 PL teams anymore without Google) but there is zero chance I'd watch a tennis match over the biggest sporting event on the planet

Seriously ??? No chance.

Cilic saves 2 match points

Cilic saves 2 match points

Hope he goes out! Cmon Pella!

And later cmon Lopez!!!

LOL pray tell what sporting event is bigger than a World Cup final in football?

Cilic out. First big shock. Conceded 4 games in the first 2 sets. Was he injured?

He was 1/1000 at the start of the 3rd set.

• Advertisement

Olympics - more countries enter and bigger TV numbers.

Olympics - more countries enter and bigger TV numbers.

Which Olympics event is bigger than the World Cup final?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

That's one of the most bizarre tennis results I've seen in my 11 years of watching tennis regularly. Pella's only decent results that comes to mind was beating Theim once or twice. Cilic looked rock solid yesterday and leading into the tournament and loses on arguably his favourite surface from 2 sets up against a relative nobody? What the hell happened Marin. I'm shocked.

Great news for Federer, but if Raonic gets that far he'll pose equally as much a threat if on form.

That's one of the most bizarre tennis results I've seen in my 11 years of watching tennis regularly. Pella's only decent results that comes to mind was beating Theim once or twice. Cilic looked rock solid yesterday and leading into the tournament and loses on arguably his favourite surface from 2 sets up against a relative nobody? What the hell happened Marin. I'm shocked.

Great news for Federer, but if Raonic gets that far he'll pose equally as much a threat if on form.

Pella completely hates the grass too to add insult to injury

Which Olympics event is bigger than the World Cup final?

I dunno - goalpost moving ???

I called the final itself the biggest sporting event on the planet in my initial post, you laughably rebuffed that, and instead you want to compare a whole series of sporting events spanning a plethora of different sports over a couple of weeks to the one match in one sport?

Anyhow sorry mods I'm going way OT here, but you'd have to laugh - only on an internet forum could someone dispute the FIFA World Cup final being objectively the biggest sporting event on the planet - and yes I said event singular in my original post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The Summer Olympics is the biggest sporting event, but in terms of a one off game/race etc, the World Cup Final is definitely the biggest.

The Summer Olympics is the biggest sporting event, but in terms of a one off game/race etc, the World Cup Final is definitely the biggest.

Don't be coming here with your common sense! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dominika Cibulkova always perplexes me. How can someone who plays this good be outside the top 30 in the world? Should be challenging regularly for big titles. Either way, really horrible second round opponent for Konta to draw.

• Advertisement

Osty leading 5-1 so all is right with the world.

Advertisement