Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Orange warning re fire danger

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0623/972692-forest-fire/

I was in Kerry on the edge of the National Park the year of the fires and a shocking time it was. One day woke to see fires in literally almost every direction. Was ready to evacuate..

I know boardsies will take care;thank you..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The SE / E heating up quickly tomorrow morning. The AROME showing temperatures edging ahead of others around KilKenny / Carlow region.

7894_ima9.png

6001_xfj5.png

aromehd-41-27-0_nas9.png

Looks like not as much cloud as today, probably a thin veil of cirrus.

tempresult_nak3.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just for fun, 32 c + for Galway on Wednesday. ;)

And not just any part of Galway.. :(

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    And not just any part of Galway.. :(

You in the firing line Oneiric?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    West midlands the focus of the heat then?
    I'll be spending the first half of the week in Galway City, second half in Cork City.

Will be interesting to see if there will be any difference in heat levels.
    Galway City to have some nice onshore breeze?

How far inland do these onshore cooling breezes go?

I live about 10 miles east of Galway city (near athenry weather station) and the temperature was about 2-3c higher here all the time during the last heatwave 2 weeks ago.
    Athenry weather station should be the one to watch next wednesday by the looks of that Arpege chart.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    You in the firing line Oneiric?

See the darkest red spot on the entire map? Yep, that is on top of my head.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

26C on that for me for tomorrow, but with Siobhan Ryan saying tomorrow will be 1C to 2C warmer than today where it reached 24.6C, then that would back up what she said.
    Still around 23C here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Farmers are suffering over on their forum. No rain= no growth = hay/silage shortage this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Farmers are suffering over on their forum. No rain= no growth = hay/silage shortage this winter.

The country needs rain badly, I know some would like to shoot me for saying that. None of us want a strong Atlantic regime, the interval between the last warm spell and this one has been so disappointing in terms of rainfall, some parts of the country did well, the northern part in particular but other areas will just continue to see fields turn less and less green.
    It is a big concern and it will start affecting urban areas more too as reservoir levels continue to fall.
    We have to take what comes, and what has been happening with our weather has been exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Jet giving us a wide berth over the next few days.

Swk4eH9.gif?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »
    Risk of forest fires has led to an orange level forest fire warning.

People are advised to not light any fires near wooded areas.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0623/972692-forest-fire/

Horrific

RobertKK wrote: »
    The country needs rain badly, I know some would like to shoot me for saying that. None of us want a strong Atlantic regime, the interval between the last warm spell and this one has been so disappointing in terms of rainfall, some parts of the country did well, the northern part in particular but other areas will just continue to see fields turn less and less green.
    It is a big concern and it will start affecting urban areas more too as reservoir levels continue to fall.
    We have to take what comes, and what has been happening with our weather has been exceptional.

For sure.

And we should all be mindful of conserving water supplies over the summer.
    I mean we should be doing that anyway, but especially during this very warm spell.

The ECM 12Z latest predicted temperatures. Wow, becoming a scorcher as the week goes on.

CmmBHvI.png

tEljTlt.png

00TVa4i.png

p3wunKK.png

xUGQh8Q.png

EUuhtNA.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 A Fridge too Far

No heatwave yet in Dublin 5. Just back from a cycle and it's pretty chilly in the wind, especially at the coast. Hopefully tomorrow is warmer.

Woah! :)

• Advertisement

No heatwave yet in Dublin 5. Just back from a cycle and it's pretty chilly in the wind, especially at the coast. Hopefully tomorrow is warmer.

Evenings and nights are still predicted to be a bit chilly, but as the high pressure builds, night temps are not going to go below 15C

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Cracking day in Athlone today, will we be in line for some of the high temps next week?

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Cracking day in Athlone today, will we be in line for some of the high temps next week?

I would think so!
    Lived in Athlone once, some very lovely ice cold winters and hot summers :)
    No Atlantic influence there, for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭pauldry

lovely day in Sligo but only 15c because of constant NW wind every day since last heatwave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Beautiful day in Galway. Absolutely perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RTÉ Weather said 31c was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

14.1C now with some cloud about. The high was 21.7C. There was a bit of a coolish breeze today but it was refreshing when the temperatures were higher,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hit 22c here in Wexford and it felt pleasant with a bit of a breeze. My back garden however is a real suntrap and the temperature gets even higher.
    People already saying "oh it's so hot",I wonder what they're gonna say by midweek next week.

ECM ensemble chart at day 10 (late next weekend) Pressure falling to the south and west. Thundery low development possible?

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Beaut day here in Laois, I was doing a little cleanup at the front of the house this afternoon and there was no breeze and the heat in the sun felt so intense. Not sure how we will cope if its 5-6 degrees higher later in the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Arpege showing up 32º for Galway on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm finding it hard to get excited about this spell. An easterly flow in summer means its too chilly for a day at the seaside and a dip. One of these will be required along the east coast, also some warm clothing comes in handy when a sea fog rolls in.
    Those who don't live along the east coast take care if swimming in lakes and rivers and DEFINITELY DO NOT swim if drink has been taken!
    Today was quite chilly in the wind with the temperature around 17c which is probably slightly below average for mid-summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm finding it hard to get excited about this spell. An easterly flow in summer means its too chilly for a day at the seaside and a dip. One of these will be required along the east coast, also some warm clothing comes in handy when a sea fog rolls in.
    Those who don't live along the east coast take care if swimming in lakes and rivers and DEFINITELY DO NOT swim if drink has been taken!
    Today was quite chilly in the wind with the temperature around 17c which is probably slightly below average for mid-summer.

I live in Portmarnock. It was not chilly today. Was a stunning blue skies day.

ME had 24 degrees in their graphic for Dublin tomorrow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Was a beautiful sunny day but there was a real chill in that breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

AWS max of 23.4c in South Laois this evening. Hardly a breeze all day, just a little west drift around 4mph. Unbroken sunshine and humidity between 38% and 42%. Beautiful. Currently 16.7c and calm with a red sky as the slight overhead haze gets illuminated in the setting sun.

• Advertisement

17c is bang on average for mid-summer.

If you fancy a house exchange for the next couple of weeks, I'm on. Would gladly take an east coast sea breeze over a motionless 28c in the swamps.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Perfect day here in Kildare. Hit 24.6c which was expected as it felt every bit of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    17c is bang on average for mid-summer.

If you fancy a house exchange for the next couple of weeks, I'm on. Would gladly take an east coast sea breeze over a motionless 28c in the swamps.

20c by the coast in Wexford town,very nice as Wexford town always seems to feel cold with the breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Was in Dublin today & was quite shocked at how brown & straw like the grass was. My grass here in Carlow is starting to yellow some but it still has some moisture left in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max temp of 21.1c in Waterford City with hazy sunshine. Felt very warm is sunshine but cooler in the shade. The real heat arrives tomorrow so lets enjoy what that brings.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I cannot wait for the high temperatures,here in Mayo we get rubbish weather most of the year,low cloud,mist,drizzle. Its 1112pm and its still bright with a lovely orange glow.Ramp up them temperatures,higher the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I drove down to kerry during the week and was amazed at the greenery everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Which part of the coast will be warmest tomorrow, east south or west?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Was in Dublin today & was quite shocked at how brown & straw like the grass was. My grass here in Carlow is starting to yellow some but it still has some moisture left in it.

No real rain in about six weeks really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

18z GFS showing signs of seeing extending of the very warm and settled weather pattern right through next weekend and in to the early days of the following week at least.

But it is how dry things look that I have a feeling will turn in to a concern sooner rather than later...

Next Monday, rinse and repeat...

gfs-0-210.png?18

Lovely clear cool night at the moment. When can we expect the first really muggy one? Monday?

All the classic Summers have these rinse and repeat phases ^.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ARPEGE now getting to 32 degrees for Galway on Wednesday (it doesn't go past 114hrs):

arpegeuk-41-99-0.png?23-19

Yes that has been said 3 times now in the thread ^. :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

18z GFS showing signs of seeing extending of the very warm and settled weather pattern right through next weekend and in to the early days of the following week at least.

But it is how dry things look that I have a feeling will turn in to a concern sooner rather than later...

Nice Monday, rinse and repeat...

gfs-0-210.png?18

Just 12.7mm of rain here in Waterford since May 12th, grass is yellow and burned. I'm surprised there is not much more talk of drought. Definitely the driest spell of weather iv'e ever experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes that has been said 3 times now in the thread ^. :P

True, but I included picture evidence at least :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sryanbruen wrote: »
    All the classic Summers have these rinse and repeat phases ^.

Indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Ms2011 wrote: »

Dublin City Council have curtailed their grass cutting programme in many areas. There is not much growing happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Low of 3.8c to high of 24.1c Saturday!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at my location today was almost 4C warmer than yesterday, but yesterday's stronger sunshine and less haze felt warmer than today in general! Today's breeze also felt chillier than yesterdays.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement