Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk Thread IX: Grand Slam Champions SEE MOD WARNING POST #1122

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

The WR POTY has been a joke at times too. One year in particular JMFL was clearly in the top echelon of players and wasn't even nominated.
    Probably missing the blatantly obvious here, but who is JMFL?

Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jordan Motherf*ckin' Larmour.

Or Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe.

Could be either, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I'm hearing we're going back to Soldier Field. To play Italy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Makes sense. Chicago pizza has to have had it's origins somewhere in the mediterranean. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Makes sense to extend our winning streak at our second home :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Bridge93 wrote: »

Presume this is related to rwc bid and cost of US support. Was in Chicago for the NZ game and there was still tickets floating around on the day so can’t see Ireland Italy more than half filling stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

BOD 2009. Pricks

No. 2009 should have been Fourie Du Preez (sp?) The Bok halfback.

2011 should have been Kaino.

Back to this year's6 Nations, Stockdale will probably get it if he scores at the weekend. It would be a new 6 Nations record wouldn't it? Public votes tend to favour try and point scorers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/joe-schmidts-ireland-in-advanced-talks-for-return-to-soldier-field-in-chicago-36703003.html

About half a million people in Chicago identify as being of Italian descent. It would make sense.
    However I can't see there being as big a demand for tickets. Unsurprisingly New Zealand were the big draw in 2016 for the Americans I spoke to that went to the game.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/joe-schmidts-ireland-in-advanced-talks-for-return-to-soldier-field-in-chicago-36703003.html

About half a million people in Chicago identify as being of Italian descent. It would make sense.
    As I said. Chicago pizza. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

prawnsambo wrote: »
    As I said. Chicago pizza. :D

Deep dish. Heart attack city but delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Being discussed on the 'Other TT" thread.

It's not against the rules, but the AR may have to replace the matchday ref, so that could then be a problem.

It's no issue at all,
    it's not like he had played for England for many years and had been drafted in to ref the game... something like that would never happen in professional rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It's no issue at all,
    it's not like he had played for England for many years and had been drafted in to ref the game... something like that would never happen in professional rugby.

You ever seen the movie Frozen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Can't make my mind up. It's either a flippant comment with no real intent or Jones is a sh1thead to the core.

Yup, we should definitely line up on the wrong side for the anthems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Can't make my mind up. It's either a flippant comment with no real intent or Jones is a sh1thead to the core.

It's just the aussie coarse humor. Love his interviews

Yup, we should definitely line up on the wrong side for the anthems.
    Which member of the royal family will need to bring their wellies? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Which member of the royal family will need to bring their wellies? :D

POM should stick his foot out too to trip them up :pac:

Strange stat, but in the history of our matches against France and England, our win percentages are almost identical. At home, it's almost dead on 50% and away, it's almost exactly 25%. 12/47 for France and 17/65 for England. Since the six nations began, we've won in Paris three times out of ten with one draw (including this year) and against England in Twickenham we've won three times from ten as well. In contrast, we've won a third of our away matches in Wales and Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

All quiet this week on the injury front it seems. Guess we will go with the same 23 as last week

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Strange stat, but in the history of our matches against France and England, our win percentages are almost identical. At home, it's almost dead on 50% and away, it's almost exactly 25%. 12/47 for France and 17/65 for England. Since the six nations began, we've won in Paris three times out of ten with one draw (including this year) and against England in Twickenham we've won three times from ten as well. In contrast, we've won a third of our away matches in Wales and Scotland.

Is there really that much of a contrast between 3/10 and 1/3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Right, if we win this I propose "The Scummy Irish"  as thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Right, if we win this I propose "The Scummy Irish"  as thread title.

Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Always feel Jones suffers from Small Man Syndrome. Given his Japanese heritage it's understandable.

#Not a Racist Japanese a 'grand bunch of lads'.

Is there really that much of a contrast between 3/10 and 1/3?
    Sorry, should have been clearer. The 3/10 is just six nations matches. The other figures are for all matches ever. So 25% contrasted with 33%. It seems we're getting better at beating France and England away than we have been historically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Could Jones be in bother over this? He also apparently described Wales as "a s**t little place"?

Personally I'm not bothered by it, but in this day and age people have been censured for saying this kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    Always feel Jones suffers from Small Man Syndrome. Given his Japanese heritage it's understandable.

No time myself for brassie Aussie scrubbers like Jones.

bilston wrote: »
    Could Jones be in bother over this? He also apparently described Wales as "a s**t little place"?

Personally I'm not bothered by it, but in this day and age people have been censured for saying this kind of stuff.

These type of comments have become more commonplace post Trump.. Unfortunately.

He's calling the Irish 'scum' here. Like you, it doesn't particularly bother me, but there's a thin line between such comments and race hatred speech.

It's all said in jest is an easy out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This cr*p posted everyone

Does everyone have so little to be at?

He is making a joke, pointing at a guy who is clearly in the video and also laughing.

Why Irish people would actually lower themselves to repost this cr*p is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/mar/14/england-rugby-six-nations

Dylan to return against Ireland.

Happy with that.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This cr*p posted everyone

Does everyone have so little to be at?

He is making a joke, pointing at a guy who is clearly in the video and also laughing.

Why Irish people would actually lower themselves to repost this cr*p is beyond me
    It's all right, you can say crap here.

It's the default post content after all. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Happy with that.

Thank ****. Cowan-Dickie looked semi competent, and didn't even get a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Happy with that.

Yep. We’ll take that.

The upside is he keeps saying "we'll get 'em back" so many times that its hard to think that he even believes it.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Eddie he had to put up with a lot of rubbish in oz growing up.

In fairness to Eddie he had to put up with a lot of rubbish in oz growing up.
    And also lets not forget, that he he is a small little guy

He's calling the Irish 'scum' here. Like you, it doesn't particularly bother me, but there's a thin line between such comments and race hatred speech.

I watched that video months and months ago and it’s clear he’s being tongue in cheek. He says he’s still not over the Irish result last year. The Aussies love their sledging.

Hard to know if we should go ahead with the match or not now. A lot of debate going on in Lansdowne Towers I'd say. If they view it as a diplomatic case in the already touchy Brexit atmos, the decision could be taken out of their hands by the govt. Risks spiralling into a bodyline situation. Hopefully not though. Would like to collect that Grand Slam trophy.

Hard to know if we should go ahead with the match or not now. A lot of debate going on in Lansdowne Towers I'd say. If they view it as a diplomatic case in the already touchy Brexit atmos, the decision could be taken out of their hands by the govt. Risks spiralling into a bodyline situation. Hopefully not though. Would like to collect that Grand Slam trophy.
    Well as suggested earlier, we can always send 23 of their diplomats home.

• Advertisement

The weather could pose the biggest problem ;)

Should be soft snow though rather than a frozen pitch. 15 March 1986 like. Without that result!!

56min 30sec in. You can only watch on youtube so have to click through the links. Horror show for irish pack:eek:

Well as suggested earlier, we can always send 23 of their diplomats home.

Saw some headline earlier about that and Theresa May making a statement in Westminster trying to blame the Russians for it. Hadnt the stomach to read it, but must have been from before the video footage emerged clearly showing Jones say it.

56min 30sec in. You can only watch on youtube so have to click through the links. Horror show for irish pack:eek:

Was that the game where the teams bizarrely didnt stay on the pitch at half time, but went into the dressing rooms due to the extreme cold ?

Was that the game where the teams bizarrely didnt stay on the pitch at half time, but went into the dressing rooms due to the extreme cold ?

I think so. A Beast From the East;) And that was just Dean Richards..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I though the threat from the Beast fron the east had subsided...well depends on what Beast you're talking about I suppose...but assuming Vlad's tanks haven't rolled into London by Saturday, is the weather a potential problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

I don't find it amusing. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    I don't find it amusing. :mad:
    Nor I and if Joe Schmidt described another country as "scummy" or a **** little place I would understand them taking massive umbrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not bothered by Jones's comments at all. He is calling us scummy for being the only team to beat him.

bilston wrote: »
    I though the threat from the Beast fron the east had subsided...well depends on what Beast you're talking about I suppose...but assuming Vlad's tanks haven't rolled into London by Saturday, is the weather a potential problem?

Very cold air with some snowfall moving from the east Saturday to Monday. Nothing like 2 weeks ago but a wintry spell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement