Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

LADYCA wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm also a 2019 bride. Have only booked hotel so far. Finding everything else so expensive. Have got a quote for €600 for 1 female singer to sing at the drinks reception (the part between the ceremony and food) I think that madness for probably 2 hours or so? Great work if you can get it I suppose!! Anybody doing anything for their drinks reception to entertain their guests that doesn't cost a small fortune?

Hey, we're getting married this Friday, and we're doing something simple for the reception.
    I've made a playlist on Spotify of songs done by the Vitamin String Quartet. Basically, they do string versions of famous songs.
    The venue has sonos speakers throughout the rooms. I've to share the playlist with the venue on Thursday, and they're just going to put it on shuffle, and have it play quietly in the background. Most people wont even notice the music playing, but it's there.

My sister got a harp player for her wedding, and described it as an absolute waste. No one is paying too much attention. Everyone is drinking and talking, and only wants some background noise.

love_love wrote: »
    After catching up on this thread, I made my call today and booked in for our Notice appointment and secured our date :) We're having the legal stuff done a few days before our reception/party, so still have to decide on venue, but we should hopefully have that done before the end of this month.

For anyone who has booked their venue, how many places did you look at before deciding? We're Dublin based but don't want to do it in Dublin but we also don't drive, so we've seen two venues so far and don't really want to check out anymore as it's a full day and favours from my parents each time we want to check somewhere out. Would yous advise to check out more than that, or would we be safe enough to go with whichever place we like most?

I should point out I've done extensive research so the two places we've visited are the ones that ticked the most boxes for what we want, they weren't just random places!

Hi love_love,

I noticed you were in the thread for Bellinter House a while back, and just wondering if that's one of the venues that you're considering? We're getting married there on Friday, and so far, they've been fantastic with everything. I can give you more details in a few weeks when I get back if you're interested.

One thing I'd say now about the place, is that the numbers are important. We're having around 160, and we're using the main room.
    I just got off of the phone from the band, who have played there quite a few times, and they said that's a great number for the venue.
    If you have smaller numbers, the wedding may be held in the smaller room, and the band said that they're not fans of playing in that room.

If you have larger numbers, then the main room can be a bit cramped. It can hold 200, but I've heard that when it's full, it's very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Hi love_love,

I noticed you were in the thread for Bellinter House a while back, and just wondering if that's one of the venues that you're considering? We're getting married there on Friday, and so far, they've been fantastic with everything. I can give you more details in a few weeks when I get back if you're interested.

Hi bazwraf, we ended up not checking out Bellinter House, couldn't tell you why without consulting my spreadsheet! It could actually be the numbers - we're hoping for around 100 so there were a few places that were knocked out because of that. Hope everything continues to go well for you and that you have a blast on Friday!

We've actually just made our decision today, and I couldn't be happier. It's quite different from what we thought we originally wanted, but it's become so much clearer over the past few months of research that one of our top priorities is to have as little stress as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hey, we're getting married this Friday, and we're doing something simple for the reception.
    I've made a playlist on Spotify of songs done by the Vitamin String Quartet. Basically, they do string versions of famous songs.
    I wonder where you got that idea! ;)

Sleepy wrote: »
    I wonder where you got that idea! ;)

Dont be getting ahead of yourself, we did it at Dave's wedding on my advice :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Just paid our deposit for October 2019 - using my snow day wisely!

I’ve got the makeup artist I want holding the date for me too so I'm practically sorted! Who cares about the rest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

fonpokno wrote: »
    Just paid our deposit for October 2019 - using my snow day wisely!

I’ve got the makeup artist I want holding the date for me too so I'm practically sorted! Who cares about the rest. :pac:

Fair play, we're October this year and no venue booked yet.

I did find make-up person, dress, two suitable venues but waiting on responses.

Need a band but we'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Silas

Wedding booked for March 2019 at Clonabreany House. No band booked yet but have a few of the other things sorted (photographer etc)

Silas wrote: »
    Wedding booked for March 2019 at Clonabreany House. No band booked yet but have a few of the other things sorted (photographer etc)

Oh Clonabreany is goooooorgeous. My sister got married there in 2015 and it was wonderful. Beautiful place!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

How early do you send out your save the date cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

How early do you send out your save the date cards?

Depends on how far they have to travel, i only sent save the dates to people coming from abroad (canada mostly) so i gave them almost a years notice..

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Depends on how far they have to travel, i only sent save the dates to people coming from abroad (canada mostly) so i gave them almost a years notice..

Thanks. I thought a year was about right. I was talking to someone over the weekend and she said now we have our venue booked we should send the save the date. We are getting married Sept 2019 so was going to send them out Sept 2018.

I'm only sending them out to older relatives, everyone else will be via email and What's App.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I'm just wondering if anyone has had much luck bartering? I wouldn't barter normally but I'm trying to save any money I can considering how pricey the wedding will end up being. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SheepGoHere

When you say barter do you mean haggle? I haven't done any bartering...would love it that worked. We have had loads of success with haggling though, I can't believe how much wiggle room there is with everything wedding related. Most recent success was with the wedding rings. We bought our rings in the same shop we got my engagement ring, and we were told there was a discount if we bought a wedding ring there, and a further discount if we bought both wedding rings there. At the checkout we asked and were given 10% off, but we mentioned that we were told there would be a possibility of a further discount as we bought all 3 with them and without hesitation the lady dropped a further 10%.

There was no stress or drama or pushiness involved, and we got 20% off two gold wedding rings. I was delighted.

Neither me nor my other half are good at haggling but we brought my sister when we were booking our venue and she got stuff for free for us cos she's brave. :D

I officially picked my wedding dress yesterday which is just very exciting altogether. Deposit paid and loadsa time to eat my own weight in easter eggs before worrying about fitting into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jezabelle28

Ours is booked for Feb 2019! Most "main" things are booked, venue, band, photographer, video (only for the ceremony), dress, celebrant, music during the ceremony and in the process of booking the cake....Now I just have to lose a stone or more :eek::eek::eek:

Anyone having pre-dinner entertainment? Can't decide what to do, is it necessary? We are having our ceremony and venue at the same place so no travel time involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Anyone having pre-dinner entertainment? Can't decide what to do, is it necessary? We are having our ceremony and venue at the same place so no travel time involved.
    Definitely not necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

They are grown people, they can manage and probably appreciate a bit of quiet time after the ceremony and catching up with people at the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Definitely not required. Don't waste your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Jezabelle28

We having all in the same venue and we aren't having any entertainment in between! Ceremony at 230 and then dinner around 530/6ish, thought of having music in between but decided not to bother as they can all just chat and catch up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

date is set for august 2019, we've a lot of the big stuff sorted the venue, dj, photographer, car are all booked. We went cake tasting last weekend so thats getting sorted. Shes even got her dress.

We are living in Belgium so we try and get another thing ticked off every time we come home

we have the pre marriage course in june and she's looking at people for hair and make up at the moment

How far in advance should I be thinking about hair? I've done some cursory research and the prices are astounding. It seems once it's "bridal" it's no less than €100 per head, which is madness to me. I'm not specific about what way I want my bridesmaids hair at all, and to be honest I won't know what I want done with my own until I have my dress. I really can't justify spending a few hundred quid on some up dos - I'm not undervaluing hair stylists, I just don't see why bridal hair is twice the price of a standard up do :(

Bridal party accommadation - whats's the norm. Do they pay for their own accommadation or do the bride and groom pay for them? I think we should pay for them but the OH thinks not as they would be at the wedding whether they were part of the bridal or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Bridal party accommadation - whats's the norm. Do they pay for their own accommadation or do the bride and groom pay for them? I think we should pay for them but the OH thinks not as they would be at the wedding whether they were part of the bridal or not.

It used to very much be the norm to pay for the rooms, but in the last few years its become more common for the bridal party to pay for their own rooms. (So I've seen in the last few years anyways!) I've been bridesmaid once here and had to pay, my OH has been groomsman twice and paid once and was paid for once. We paid for ours, the hotel gave us a deal on them so they were cheaper than the wedding price. Its totally up to you, whether you want to or can afford it :)

We'll be due to pay 50% of our fee to the venue in a couple of months - am I right in presuming that we'll pay 50% based on our expected numbers, and then once we have invites sent and RSVPs back, we will adjust our expected numbers accordingly, meaning paying 50% in a couple of months might actually end up being 60%, if the final numbers are reduced?

Only thought of this the other day and I figure that makes most sense, just wanted to ask!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

love_love wrote: »
    We'll be due to pay 50% of our fee to the venue in a couple of months - am I right in presuming that we'll pay 50% based on our expected numbers, and then once we have invites sent and RSVPs back, we will adjust our expected numbers accordingly, meaning paying 50% in a couple of months might actually end up being 60%, if the final numbers are reduced?

Only thought of this the other day and I figure that makes most sense, just wanted to ask!

Yeah, I believe that's right. So if you're inviting 100 people at E100 a head, you'll pay E5,000 at this point from an expected total of E10,000. But if only 80 people RSVP yes, you'll only end up paying another E3,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, I believe that's right. So if you're inviting 100 people at E100 a head, you'll pay E5,000 at this point from an expected total of E10,000. But if only 80 people RSVP yes, you'll only end up paying another E3,000.

Unless you have minimum numbers in your contract!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

GingerLily wrote: »
    Unless you have minimum numbers in your contract!

Yes, that's very true!

• Advertisement

Thought I'd say hi.

So far not a lot has gone to plan. We booked a venue but it fell through, now on the search for another. We think we have found it; but for a small enough group it might not work out for us because it's hard to get it up to the minimum spend. Yes, we're finding it hard to get our wedding to be expensive enough!

Advertisement