Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

The reactions to this have been quite funny I have to say. It's probably 2 minutes of censorship in a 30+ hour game and people are getting worked up and cancelling pre-orders. If it's that much of an issue just order it from the U.S. or pick it up on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

All the cut scenes will be on youtube a day after this is released, blah blah blah not the point, tbh it's South Park the innuendos/jokes are always smart enough to pass under the censors radar, who cares if they cut the obvious stuff we have already seen a thousand times on tv. Prime example below.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't see why cancelling pre-orders is an over-reaction. I don't see why the government should be censoring a product aimed at over 18s. If I'd pre-ordered the game, then I'm pre-ordering the whole thing, not just the bits that the Irish Censorship Board decide are ok for consumption.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No government is censoring anything, at least according to what has been reported so far. Ubiosoft EMEA have already said it was their own 'marketing' decision.

I don't see why cancelling pre-orders is an over-reaction. I don't see why the government should be censoring a product aimed at over 18s. If I'd pre-ordered the game, then I'm pre-ordering the whole thing, not just the bits that the Irish Censorship Board decide are ok for consumption.

The government isn't censoring any of it. Ubisoft made a decision to remove certain content as they knew that it would cause hassle in certain countries and didn't wa t the cost if manufacturing multiple versions. Honestly, knowing how low brow the show can get this decision could be a positive as I can't see many people exactly bring excited by the prospect of a mini game about abortion. It just seems incredibly poor taste and while it could be hilarious it could also be a step too far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I don't see why the government should be censoring a product aimed at over 18s. If I'd pre-ordered the game, then I'm pre-ordering the whole thing, not just the bits that the Irish Censorship Board decide are ok for consumption.
    South Park abortion scenes are not the strongest argument for the abolition of the Film Classification Office. Particularly not when (in theory at least) it is the FCO that determines just what is and isn't rated as "over 18s".

Far more worrying is the idea of corporate self-censorship: blunting their own product in the pursuit of sales

Don't punish the game creators because of 2 mins of censorship block, Ubisoft are the publishers. The game looks quality and people are being excessive in this case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Reekwind wrote: »
    blunting their own product in the pursuit of sales

Some of the material may well be tasteless but I'd rather have the developers original vision as opposed to a product that's been watered down in an attempt to boost sales and I see no reason to support that kind of practice.
    It's a catch 22 for the developer which is a shame and I see where you're coming from. It does appear to be a very minor set of cuts in this case but if other publishers start following suit, I can see this getting a bit out of hand.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Some of the material may well be tasteless but I'd rather have the developers original vision as opposed to a product that's been watered down in an attempt to boost sales and I see no reason to support that kind of practice.
    It's a catch 22 for the developer which is a shame and I see where you're coming from. It does appear to be a very minor set of cuts in this case but if other publishers start following suit, I can see this getting a bit out of hand.

It hasn't been watered down to boost sales, the games raring is the same now as it was when the offending material was present. While we have no idea why the decision was made it seems to be a practical one to save money and bit have multiple different versions produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Reekwind wrote: »
    Far more worrying is the idea of corporate self-censorship: blunting their own product in the pursuit of sales

hardly a new thing, look at all the horrible Hollywood remakes of epic 80ies films, all are much tamer to get them intot he PG13 band rather than 18+

• Advertisement

hardly a new thing, look at all the horrible Hollywood remakes of epic 80ies film, all are much tamer to get them intot he PG13 band rather than 18+

Lot of what was 18 back in the 80s is PG13 now. It's not all about watering down and you can get away with far more violence now than a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Can't wait.

Not watching any more videos, trailers or reviews for the next 2 weeks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How is this an attempt to boost sales? I'm not sure who the demographic that say "oh, the abortion mini game has been cut, it's a must buy now!" are, but I'm confident saying it's a small one. The game is still South Park, it's still 18s and over, and I'm sure it still ****s all over the lines of good taste at any opportunity: I'd suggest this cut 140 seconds isn't going to radically alter the game's market potential (slightly neuter it, if the reaction is anything to go by, but then I don't think games forums posters significantly represent any game's market demographics).

I'd say the reason is Ubisoft EMEA merely wanting to avoid any excessive controversy here, and confidently get past a wide range of ratings boards in the process. Actually, If they really wanted to boost sales, they should have kept the most controversial content intact and waited for the media **** storm and attached boost in market visibility. Nothing increases sales more than controversy.

Also don't forget that 'EMEA' is a huge area with a vast range of cultural and social differences. Even in Ireland abortion is more of a hot topic and dangerous territory than it is in most Western societies.

I don't like censorship at all but the reasoning people are theorising here seems rather fuzzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Was confirmed to be censored in Australia back in December. Thought it was just because Australians like to censor everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I love how well they've transitioned the animations. Just looks like an episode rather than a game. Can't wait to play it.

Ah... Looks like I misunderstood. Oops.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I can't imagine the spec requirements for this would be too high would they?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Not particularly.

Minimum:
    OS: WindowsXP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
    Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2180 @ 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.0 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB GB RAM
    Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD2600XT (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher)
    DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers

Recommended:
    OS: WindowsXP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
    Processor: Intel Core2Duo E4400 @ 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ @ 2.3 GHz or better
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9800GT or AMD Radeon HD4870 (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0) or better
    DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers

I really hope not. My laptop handled Mass Effect 3 so I've my fingers crossed.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I have a Packard Bell EasyNote TE with 6gb ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics card will this run the game. Windows 8 too.

Probably not the best place to ask this, I have a Packard Bell EasyNote TE with 6gb ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics card will this run the game. Windows 8 too.

Yes it'll run it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I have a Packard Bell EasyNote TE with 6gb ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics card will this run the game. Windows 8 too.
    xD

With those minimum specs listed, this game will run on an 8 year old machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So not exactly accurate due to the time difference but looking at a few benchmarks on the minimum recommended graphics card and some modern integrated one they're comparable. So anyone with a newish laptop can play this game, and it'll be uncensored.

I predict a lot of generally console based gamers pirating this and feeling justified.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Steam preload is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

VGP.ca dispatched my "Uncensored" version yesterday.
    Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

How big is it?

Grimebox wrote: »
    How big is it?

4.2GB on Steam.

Was semi following this thread.

Disappointing that it's only for current gen, but I'll cut them slack in terms of the delays and that it was meant to be out before the next gen.

Very disappointed with next gen so far in terms of what's available, 90% ports and now something like this is coming to current gen only. :(

• Advertisement

So still debating whether to get the CE or standard edition.

$69 for SE or $109 for CE. Don't think I can justify the extra $40. Anyone want to tell me why I should pay the extra $40 before I go and preorder?

Advertisement