Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Comments

hardly a new thing, look at all the horrible Hollywood remakes of epic 80ies film, all are much tamer to get them intot he PG13 band rather than 18+

Lot of what was 18 back in the 80s is PG13 now. It's not all about watering down and you can get away with far more violence now than a decade ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Can't wait.

Not watching any more videos, trailers or reviews for the next 2 weeks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How is this an attempt to boost sales? I'm not sure who the demographic that say "oh, the abortion mini game has been cut, it's a must buy now!" are, but I'm confident saying it's a small one. The game is still South Park, it's still 18s and over, and I'm sure it still ****s all over the lines of good taste at any opportunity: I'd suggest this cut 140 seconds isn't going to radically alter the game's market potential (slightly neuter it, if the reaction is anything to go by, but then I don't think games forums posters significantly represent any game's market demographics).

I'd say the reason is Ubisoft EMEA merely wanting to avoid any excessive controversy here, and confidently get past a wide range of ratings boards in the process. Actually, If they really wanted to boost sales, they should have kept the most controversial content intact and waited for the media **** storm and attached boost in market visibility. Nothing increases sales more than controversy.

Also don't forget that 'EMEA' is a huge area with a vast range of cultural and social differences. Even in Ireland abortion is more of a hot topic and dangerous territory than it is in most Western societies.

I don't like censorship at all but the reasoning people are theorising here seems rather fuzzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Was confirmed to be censored in Australia back in December. Thought it was just because Australians like to censor everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I love how well they've transitioned the animations. Just looks like an episode rather than a game. Can't wait to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ah... Looks like I misunderstood. Oops.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I can't imagine the spec requirements for this would be too high would they?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Not particularly.

Minimum:
    OS: WindowsXP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
    Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2180 @ 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.0 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB GB RAM
    Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD2600XT (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher)
    DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers

Recommended:
    OS: WindowsXP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
    Processor: Intel Core2Duo E4400 @ 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ @ 2.3 GHz or better
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9800GT or AMD Radeon HD4870 (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0) or better
    DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I really hope not. My laptop handled Mass Effect 3 so I've my fingers crossed.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I have a Packard Bell EasyNote TE with 6gb ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics card will this run the game. Windows 8 too.

Probably not the best place to ask this, I have a Packard Bell EasyNote TE with 6gb ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics card will this run the game. Windows 8 too.

Yes it'll run it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I have a Packard Bell EasyNote TE with 6gb ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics card will this run the game. Windows 8 too.
    xD

With those minimum specs listed, this game will run on an 8 year old machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So not exactly accurate due to the time difference but looking at a few benchmarks on the minimum recommended graphics card and some modern integrated one they're comparable. So anyone with a newish laptop can play this game, and it'll be uncensored.

I predict a lot of generally console based gamers pirating this and feeling justified.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Steam preload is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

VGP.ca dispatched my "Uncensored" version yesterday.
    Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

How big is it?

Grimebox wrote: »
    How big is it?

4.2GB on Steam.

Was semi following this thread.

Disappointing that it's only for current gen, but I'll cut them slack in terms of the delays and that it was meant to be out before the next gen.

Very disappointed with next gen so far in terms of what's available, 90% ports and now something like this is coming to current gen only. :(

• Advertisement

So still debating whether to get the CE or standard edition.

$69 for SE or $109 for CE. Don't think I can justify the extra $40. Anyone want to tell me why I should pay the extra $40 before I go and preorder?

irishmover wrote: »
    So still debating whether to get the CE or standard edition.

$69 for SE or $109 for CE. Don't think I can justify the extra $40. Anyone want to tell me why I should pay the extra $40 before I go and preorder?

Personally, I don't think you should be preordering at all.

Personally, I don't think you should be preordering at all.

It won't be any cheaper than $68 anywhere over here. With the $69 preorder in one shop I'll get a DLC. So think it's worth it for an extra $1.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/games/southpark-stick-of-truth/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

GAME have the same edition (dlc) to preorder up north or online, HMV and Smyths don't seem to think they will be stocking the PC version, at least in the branches I tried earlier today.

C$59.99 on VGP.

C$59.99 on VGP.

Incl. shipping to my door it would be $73 AUD. But would be the uncensored version. Wouldn't really care if it's censored or not as I'm sure I'll be able to watch it on YouTube some point after the game release.

Does that one come with the same Samurai pack DLC? Couldn't find it on their website.

• Advertisement

It won't be any cheaper than $68 anywhere over here. With the $69 preorder in one shop I'll get a DLC. So think it's worth it for an extra $1.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/games/southpark-stick-of-truth/

It's up to you. I don't pre-order on principle. I prefer to wait for reviews and then decide. A free game worth a fiver or a skin pack is something I can easily do without.

It's up to you. I don't pre-order on principle. I prefer to wait for reviews and then decide. A free game worth a fiver or a skin pack is something I can easily do without.

No bother. You do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Sounds like a bad approach to be honest. I'm gonna play this and not look a single review. Some games can be viewed as mediocre and I like them regardless. It's nice to be make up my own opinion sometimes and roll with the hype.

Although I completely agree with the pre order bonuses. I don't want them at all even the I've already bought it on steam

Sounds like a bad approach to be honest. I'm gonna play this and not look a single review. Some games can be viewed as mediocre and I like them regardless. It's nice to be make up my own opinion sometimes and roll with the hype.

Although I completely agree with the pre order bonuses. I don't want them at all even the I've already bought it on steam

How on earth is it a bad approach? I'm not talking about whether or not the game's good, I'm referring to things like port quality, the presence of game breaking bugs, microtransactions, etc... I nearly pre-ordered Arkham Origins for example but, because I waited, I saw that what was released was a buggy mess with little to no post-release support.
    I see your point about wanting to go in blind as it were. I've been looking forward to Lightning Returns for quite some time and despite most reviews being negative, I'm getting it anyway. I don't trust mainstream "reviewers" anyway but that might be a topic for another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

So still debating whether to get the CE or standard edition. $69 for SE or $109 for CE. Don't think I can justify the extra $40. Anyone want to tell me why I should pay the extra $40 before I go and preorder?

CE comes with a Cartman Wizard figure. Is it worth $40 is up to yourself. A lot of resistance after you simply asked about pre-orders. Wanted to say good for you, supporting them and getting it asap.

What you'll see in the censored scenes.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhsLMsxCMAAH9Vj.jpg
    linked so not to spoil anything ( I think it's fine)

Funny (actually probably better than what it's actually censoring) but still not getting it out of principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

A few days late on the censorship news. I don't understand why there's a ratings classification if games still get censored anyway? Is 18+ not good enough? Do we need a 25+ rating? Preposterous.
    Big Knox wrote: »
    Yep the PC version will be uncensored which is good news.

Good news indeed. I'm annoyed about the censorship, if I pick it up it'll be on PC.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    A few days late on the censorship news. I don't understand why there's a ratings classification if games still get censored anyway? Is 18+ not good enough? Do we need a 25+ rating? Preposterous.

Good news indeed. I'm annoyed about the censorship, if I pick it up it'll be on PC.

The rating system for games is different to cinema and differs wildly from country to country. While the decision to change the game is annoying, it's pretty understandable given the issues such content is sure to turn up. Ubisoft were in a position where their game could face some serious censorship issues across the EU which in turn could result in the beed to produce a number of different versions so as to meet each countries requirements.

They've made it pretty easy to acquire a copy of the uncensored version and honestly from what I've heard the content that's been censored isn't exactly something you'll miss.

I'm quite happy to purchase a copy of the game on PC and would encourage people not to pirate the game. Many are saying that the censorship was done to help sell more copies but honestly, if it was about shifting a few more copies then they'd have left the game as is and laughed all the way to the bank as the media made a huge deal about the content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Should we be worried,the game is released this week and no reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Smoggy wrote: »
    Should we be worried,the game is released this week and no reviews.

Embargo isnt up till the morning of the US release apparently

Even with the embargo, people are streaming it on twitch. Massive spoilers of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Will it be region Free on 360 if ordered from US?

• Advertisement

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Will it be region Free on 360 if ordered from US?

No

Couldn't help myself but watch a bit of those streams. All I will say is that it looks brilliant. It's like a mash-up of everything south park has ever done. As a fan of the show, I can't wait. Even if the turned based play turns people off, the humour should more than make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So any idea when the reviews will come out?. Or is there an embargo until release?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    So any idea when the reviews will come out?. Or is there an embargo until release?.

Read above. There are of course leaks of people playing it, but news sites are under embargo until release in the US.

Looks great.

Now, just need to optimise my 32'' TV (On PC ya see), everything is so sharp you can't read text or anything. Me thinks the resolution will have to come down a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Taylor365 wrote: »
    everything is so sharp you can't read text or anything.
    lolwut?

Thank god this isn't clashing with Dark Souls. Should be enough time to finish it before the 14th. Right?

You've played your PC on your TV from a distance yes?

Big Knox wrote: »
    lolwut?

I think he means font size, and playing it at a distance.

PC games usually not the best suited for couch gaming, UI options should improve with Steam box and big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

IGN just posted their review on Facebook but the link is broken! Actually quite anxious to see how this does critically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I see that as 36 euro. Where did you see it for 30? A discount code?

Advertisement