Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Moisturising

Options
  • 31-10-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Out of pure habit I would moisturise my hands daily & I would do a fair amount of cycling, even more so in recent weeks.

What I'm finding though is that the palm-side of my hands are getting drier/rougher?, basicly, not as smooth as before and I am moisturising more on a daily basis.

My hands & nails are always well looked after by me , and my skin would ordinarily be smooth & suptle, but are getting dryer faster recently due to the cycling gloves and the increased pressure on the handle-bars.

Does anyone have a solution for me apart from what I am doing - moisturising more daily? Any particular moisturiser you would recommend. I use Nivea. Should also state I use anti-baterial santitizer daily also, especially after I take my cycling-gloves off.

Thanks for any & all tips and advice,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

have you tried coconut oil? have to moisturise my face daily (sometimes twice) thanks to my rosacea and coconut oil is one of the few things i've found that (a) doesn't make it worse (b) actually moisturises

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

have you tried coconut oil? have to moisturise my face daily (sometimes twice) thanks to my rosacea and coconut oil is one of the few things i've found that (a) doesn't make it worse (b) actually moisturises

Cheers for the very fast reply. No, haven't tried coconut oil.

But I will though, Thanks :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

superquinn and dunnes have 500ml tubs for 5.99, cocowel extra virgin. also great for snacking on and using as a frying oil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

I'm trying to source "gloves in a bottle" its received rave reviews. I think I'll have to take the plunge and buy from amazon or likewise, I have hand eczema and having tried numerous hand creams to no avail I need a barrier that will protect my skin, the run of the mill moisturisers dont seem to work for me.

I think if you moisturise and then protect your hands with a barrier cream they shouldnt get drier or rougher, you could try covering your hands with emulsifying ointment at night and wear cottons gloves to bed your hands should be alot softer the next morning.

superquinn and dunnes have 500ml tubs for 5.99, cocowel extra virgin. also great for snacking on and using as a frying oil :)

I'm sorry but I actually had to google rosacea as I didn't know what it was :o Googling it actually answered another question for me so...

Thanks so much for your tips here.

No superquinn near where I am at present, but Dunnes are so will give it a try, Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I know sanitising your hands is very important but from having worked in a hospital, I know how rough that can be on your skin. I also cycle a lot so I'm having the same problem as yourself! I would suggest if you can, to wash your hands with a gentle ani bacterial wash, rather than using the hand gels as they can be quite harsh. Keep up wearing the cycling gloves as that is MUCH better than wearing no gloves in this harsh weather. Also, if you can get cycling gloves which have padding on the palms I find that helps. Otherwise, it's just a matter of finding the best moisturiser for you and keep moisturising!!

ljcoolk wrote: »
    I'm trying to source "gloves in a bottle" its received rave reviews. I think I'll have to take the plunge and buy from amazon or likewise, I have hand eczema and having tried numerous hand creams to no avail I need a barrier that will protect my skin, the run of the mill moisturisers dont seem to work for me.

Will admit I've never heard of "gloves in a bottle", but will be googling that next. I think that I'll try the coconut oil since it's more easily available for me for now.
    I have sensitive skin so I know coconut oil won't affect it too much, if at all. I will look into the "gloves in a bottle" too though.

Thank You :)

I know sanitising your hands is very important but from having worked in a hospital, I know how rough that can be on your skin. I also cycle a lot so I'm having the same problem as yourself! I would suggest if you can, to wash your hands with a gentle ani bacterial wash, rather than using the hand gels as they can be quite harsh. Keep up wearing the cycling gloves as that is MUCH better than wearing no gloves in this harsh weather. Also, if you can get cycling gloves which have padding on the palms I find that helps. Otherwise, it's just a matter of finding the best moisturiser for you and keep moisturising!!

Cool, Thanks! I've several pairs of cycling-gloves and all are padded. Been thankful of that fact on my spins I can assure you :) Padded gloves, shorts, pants, seat-cover. Comfort would be an understatement, expensive but worth it!

Yeah I think I might swap for the gentle ani bacterial wash. I've a few small bottles of the anti-bacterial sanitiser for ease of access, and even fit in my pockets. But, I'll ease off that for now and try the gentle ani bacterial wash too and see if that will aid me as much as yourself. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

ljcoolk wrote: »
    you could try covering your hands with emulsifying ointment at night and wear cottons gloves to bed your hands should be alot softer the next morning.

I know your probably sick of wearing gloves but this method is cheap and very effective.

I'll let you know how I get on with "Gloves in a bottle" I'll be the guinea pig

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

You should try moisturising with a fairly thick cream before you go to bed then wearing cotton gloves overnight. Coconut oil works wonders, and is inexpensive too. Try looking in an Asian food store for a jar, far cheaper than Dunnes or Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I would definitely quit the hand sanatizer, it will destroy your skin.Two options for you.One is Palms Cocoa Butter hand cream which is good and deeply moisturising but a lot of people don't like the smell.If you're prepared to spend a bit then O'occitane do this AMAZING almond hand cream which is about twenty quid for a tube but will get your hands back in tip top condition and silky smooth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I would definitely quit the hand sanatizer, it will destroy your skin.Two options for you.One is Palms Cocoa Butter hand cream which is good and deeply moisturising but a lot of people don't like the smell.If you're prepared to spend a bit then O'occitane do this AMAZING almond hand cream which is about twenty quid for a tube but will get your hands back in tip top condition and silky smooth!!

Thanks so much to all in here, appreciate it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I wear latex gloves all day, and i constantly have to moisturise my hands when im at home. Now and again my skin will get flaky, so then i slap on the E45.
    I might try the cocunut oil, as my hands still feel dry sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

+1 for the coconut oil. I find olive oil great too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Wow.. I'll definitely be trying the coconut oil! I used to have to wear latex gloves and found they destroyed my hands, along with the anti-bacterial gels.. This time of year my hands go very dry, I think everyone's do though!

I know it sounds silly but I always founds lashing a load of Vaseline on my hands and wearing cotton gloves in bed great?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

this might sound mental but has anyone tried cocount oil on their face as a moisturiser? i use nivea sos hand cream and find that quite good when my hands are really dry

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

this might sound mental but has anyone tried cocount oil on their face as a moisturiser? i use nivea sos hand cream and find that quite good when my hands are really dry

I haven't tried coconut oil but I use bio oil on my face once a week, sometimes more. I have oily skin but I exercise outside a lot and I swim and surf so it dries my skin out. I find it great! I only use the tiniest bit on my face and I only use it at night time. I'd be afraid of going out with oil on my face during the day - even if we do get feic all sun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i never even thought about the oil and sun thing,id put stuff on my face at night too anyways as i find things dont absorb great into my skin so dont want to go around with a shiny face all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Hope O_o

Pure coconut oil sounds luscious... I must try it :)

Creamy Baby Lotion is the only lotion I've found that hydrates. The Aloe Vera and Vitamin E blend has a fresh scent. It's silky without feeling oily, soaks in immediately and lasts the day. In summer (I lived in an arid climate) I kept it in the fridge - it was soothing after a day in the hot sun. In winter I use it after a warm shower to keep the moisture in.

• Advertisement

Coconut oil has a natural SPF, very low though - as in you wouldn't use it as and SPF, but it won't damage your skin in the sunshine.

Antibacterial gels that you buy in the supermarket aren't really worth much, they should contain 70% alcohol to kill all known bacteria. Washing hands removes germs and is more gentle on your skin. An antibacterial soap is not required, just ensure you wash properly. With that in mind you could get a nice creamy soap for cleaning your hands.

I would definitely recommend wearing moisturising gloves at night and coconut oil is just amazing - I use it as an all over moisturiser and it's just divine. If you think it's too oily for you, La Roche Posay do a cream called lipikar baume, it's thick and relatively inexpensive considering its benefits (>€20 for a huge tube). Or L'occitane's shea moisturiser is brilliant too.

As for the cycling gloves, maybe consider wearing a pair of the cotton gloves inside them so there is less friction?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have very dry hands and L'occitane does nothing for me. I prefer laroche posay hand cream for very dry skin. There is also a great trick when you mix some sugar and olive oil into a paste and rub your hands with it. Skin is instantly softer and it is even better if you use some hand cream after it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

meeeeh wrote: »
    I have very dry hands and L'occitane does nothing for me. I prefer laroche posay hand cream for very dry skin. There is also a great trick when you mix some sugar and olive oil into a paste and rub your hands with it. Skin is instantly softer and it is even better if you use some hand cream after it.

I've eczema on one hand and nothing works for it at all.

Sugar and olive oil is just an exfoliant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If you have changed anything in your toiletries routine, it could be an allergic reaction. I got dry skin from a shampoo I bought, once I stopped using it, it went away!

Stheno wrote: »

I've eczema on one hand and nothing works for it at all.

Sugar and olive oil is just an exfoliant
    I wasn't implying it has any miraculous powers, for me it just works in very dry hands. I know sugar and oil is an exfoliant but it does make skin softer and is also very gentle.

Not so much here but in harsh winters at home my hands would usually start to bleed from cold and dry air and none of the more popular hand creams would work for me. Neutrogena is another one that is supposed to be brilliant and it did nothing for me. Some people swear by it though. So I think that very often is more of a trial and error and finding the one that works fot you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I wasn't implying it has any miraculous powers, for me it just works in very dry hands. I know sugar and oil is an exfoliant but it does make skin softer and is also very gentle.

Not so much here but in harsh winters at home my hands would usually start to bleed from cold and dry air and none of the more popular hand creams would work for me. Neutrogena is another one that is supposed to be brilliant and it did nothing for me. Some people swear by it though. So I think that very often is more of a trial and error and finding the one that works fot you.

Agreed, my ezcema leads to a bleeding hand.

I do exfoliate and it helps, but I've yet to find something to cure it, I've tried cutting out cosmetics, prescription creams, and pretty much every cream on the market, it's a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I carry a small anti-bacterial hand sanitizer and out of habit I apply it, it's the same with the hand moisturizer. It might be better to let your skin just breathe for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I really like the hemp hand cream from the body shop. It's quite expensive (at least by my standards) but a little goes a long way and it's got the most lovely feel - soaks in very well. I often stock up when it's 50% off.

I also like Prevex. I'm not sure if you can buy it in Ireland but it's very good. Again, a little goes a long way and it's medical quality. Eucerin is also a good brand recommended by dermatologists, not sure if they make a hand cream but their body moisturiser is the best I've ever used - and I've tried a lot! Again, I can't remember if I was able to find Eucerin in Ireland - but I think you'd probably be able to find both those brands online if you tried.

Eucerin lotion is very good. I remember seeing it in a shop that doesn't exist anymore but I presume some farmacies stock it and as far as I remember it was very reasonably priced. I don't know if Eucerin hand cream exists though.

• Advertisement

Eucerin lotion is very good. I remember seeing it in a shop that doesn't exist anymore but I presume some farmacies stock it and as far as I remember it was very reasonably priced. I don't know if Eucerin hand cream exists though.

You can get Eucerin in Boots.

Advertisement