Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

duckling10 wrote: »
    hi kandr10,
    on the home page in ravelry, you will see along the top a series of buttons, for Yarns, People, Groups, Forums and Patterns, etc.
    press Patterns and you will be taken to the pattern search page, where you can specify your search options and there are hundreds if not thousands of patterns available, and one of the filters for the search allows you to choose Free Patterns of you so wish,
    eg i just did a pattern search for the word Hat and i got 20,000 results, yes 20 thousand hat patterns, of which 8,000 were free....
    so that's pretty good isn't it for a website which is free to join?
    i think so anyway,
    i am fairly addicted to Ravelry!!!
    regards
    d
    any more questions, just holler!!!!:)

Thanks for that! I actually didn't notice the 'free pattern' tab so a lot of the ones that I stored to my notebook thingy weren't!

This will be my first project knitting on the round so I have a perhaps dumb question....
    When I went to hickeys to buy a circular needle, they were all the same length but the thickness of the needles were different. I have the right mm size but does it matter if my needles are slightly longer than specified? Like twice the length? Should you have shorter circulars for knitting say a hat compared to knitting a jumper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Hello,

One thing I find curious about the current revival in knitting is how many people knit in sythetics, blends or superwash wool. Considering the time and effort that goes into knitting why don't knitters go for natural fibres? Or non-chemically treated yarns? Super-waqsh for instane is IMO a waste of time as it sags, the treatment used on the wool to make it machine washable destroys the elasticity of the fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

ladhrann wrote: »
    Hello,

One thing I find curious about the current revival in knitting is how many people knit in sythetics, blends or superwash wool. Considering the time and effort that goes into knitting why don't knitters go for natural fibres? Or non-chemically treated yarns? Super-waqsh for instane is IMO a waste of time as it sags, the treatment used on the wool to make it machine washable destroys the elasticity of the fibre.

I'm with you in terms of natural fabrics (or at least very, very soft ones) but the older knitters around me like my Mam and Aunts are acrylic all the way ("because you can throw it in the machine"). Then again they've been knitting for centuries between them and started in an era where a home knit sweater was the norm and certainly not a luxury, and the introduction of acrylic yarns were a luxury because you could throw them in the machine...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I use machine washable for baby clothes. You need to be able to throw it in the machine with all their various emissions.

Blends are much nicer these days as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I'm with you in terms of natural fabrics (or at least very, very soft ones) but the older knitters around me like my Mam and Aunts are acrylic all the way ("because you can throw it in the machine"). Then again they've been knitting for centuries between them and started in an era where a home knit sweater was the norm and certainly not a luxury, and the introduction of acrylic yarns were a luxury because you could throw them in the machine...

I can understand why you'd go for very soft fibres if you were wearing it next to your skin, but for jumpers, scarves, hats etc. they're all worn over a vest/shirt, hair and so on. The knitter I know, my Aunt for instance, when she agreed to knit me a Guernsey made me go off and research and buy the yarn myself. It was her way of making me appreciate the craft from first principles I think. So I'd to go and track down 5 ply worsted wool in England for my jumper. I've had it for 5 years, never been washed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I partially agree. I bought loads of acrylic about 10 years ago but the more clothing I made and wore to death the more I looked for something more hard wearing. If knitting for myself I knit in a mix (min 25% wool), but itchy wool doesnt bother me. If its for a baby I usually use cotton. It seems to last longer but chocolate is its enemy!

If knitting for someone else, I get them to buy the wool and they always come back with acrylic. None knitter dont usually realise how expensive it is to buy wool for a sweater compared to buying one in Dunnes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Knitting in pure wool is so very expensive, especially if your doing any cabling - it uses up so much yarn compared with flat surfaces patterns.

Baggyness is real problem from acrylic washes - but thats probably because we bung these in the machine as compared to handwashing wool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hiya guys, just wondering if there is any online shops that sells can can wool. Having a problem finding it.

Anyone know of an easyish aran cardigan or sweater for a child. I can do most of the stitches but the patterns my grandmother has written down are too complicated, she could do them with her eyes closed and immediately knew if she went wrong.

I usually end up with 2 non symmetrical sides to a cardigan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I usually end up with 2 non symmetrical sides to a cardigan!

Have you ever though of knitting the two sides at the same time. I do this all the time when I am knitting sleeves?

I am currently knitting a jumper for a 2 to 3 year old. I have typed out the pattern, I hope to have it finished in the next 5 days, so I will be able to put a picture with the pattern, if you are interested.

6458854281_5d16e233b1_s.jpg DSCN0002

This is the jumper I am knitting at the moment you are welcome to the pattern if you think it would suit. It is just a simpler version of jumper below which is worked from 2 patterns, one for the cable and one for the centre section.

6143532748_d3bf3525af_s.jpg Jumper

I have also finished this dress. I just knit a swatch and worked out the pattern from that. It's not as difficult as it sounds.

6458857575_822f94cb5b_s.jpg DSCN0003

Wow, that is a beautiful jumper. I am useless for patterns, I always change them too.
    I'd love that pattern, if there's any pattern your looking for just ask!

I might try knitting 2 sides at the same time, thats a good idea.

What yarn is the first picture. It has a lovely sheen that shows up the detail?

Wow, that is a beautiful jumper. I am useless for patterns, I always change them too.
    I'd love that pattern, if there's any pattern your looking for just ask!

I might try knitting 2 sides at the same time, thats a good idea.

What yarn is the first picture. It has a lovely sheen that shows up the detail?

It is dusky pink King Cole Aran Fashion, I got it from Winnie the Wool Wagon. I'll forward on that pattern to you, I just have to add a few things into it first (abbevrations etc.)

Received that, thank you so much. Its is really clear to follow, I just need to practice the pattern a few times before I begin. Thanks Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Ok - my final dilemma for the bag that I'm knitting - I need to know how to join the yarn to a finished piece.

Basically, the bag is made by knitting in the round for the most part, and then casting off both short sides, and knitting the two long sides separately, to make two sort of flaps. One is done, and cast off, but of course, now the yarn is no longer attached to the knitting.

How do I join it back on with no tail to join it to?

• Advertisement

Kash wrote: »
    Ok - my final dilemma for the bag that I'm knitting - I need to know how to join the yarn to a finished piece.

Basically, the bag is made by knitting in the round for the most part, and then casting off both short sides, and knitting the two long sides separately, to make two sort of flaps. One is done, and cast off, but of course, now the yarn is no longer attached to the knitting.

How do I join it back on with no tail to join it to?

There are probably other ways but I usually just pull out a bit of a tail and start knitting, then near the end of the first row I tighten it all up and continue. Then after it's done you can use the tail to join the pieces together or just sew it in out of the way.

Received that, thank you so much. Its is really clear to follow, I just need to practice the pattern a few times before I begin. Thanks Again.

Here is the finished jumper. I have not pressed it as I am just too heavy handed, I prefer to let them loosen out through washing. Another tip you probably know this already, when you are knitting the back make a note of what row of the pattern you start shaping the armholes, this will make it easier to guage where you should be starting the armholes for the front.

6484789247_20baf96db3_s.jpg
    DSCN0009 by cofy1, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

cofy wrote: »
    Here is the finished jumper. I have not pressed it as I am just too heavy handed, I prefer to let them loosen out through washing. Another tip you probably know this already, when you are knitting the back make a note of what row of the pattern you start shaping the armholes, this will make it easier to guage where you should be starting the armholes for the front.

6484789247_20baf96db3_s.jpg
    DSCN0009 by cofy1, on Flickr

That is soooo lovely, my daugher would love something like this, is there any chance you could send me the pattern for the cables, I'd really appreciate it.... now if I could only find the time to sit down and knit all day long......

Thank you,

Magic

magicEye wrote: »
    That is soooo lovely, my daugher would love something like this, is there any chance you could send me the pattern for the cables, I'd really appreciate it.... now if I could only find the time to sit down and knit all day long......

Thank you,

Magic

If you could pm me with an email address I can forward it to you. The pattern is for 2 to 3 years if that suits. Or if you just want the pattern for the cables, I got them from googling free Celtic Cable pattern. I got this from a scarf pattern.

Magic, I should mention that I did not use all 300g for the jumper, I had about 75g left when the jumper was finished. Maybe this might be enough for the hat? Looking forward to seeing what you are knitting.

• Advertisement

cofy wrote: »
    Magic, I should mention that I did not use all 300g for the jumper, I had about 75g left when the jumper was finished. Maybe this might be enough for the hat? Looking forward to seeing what you are knitting.

Thank you for this :)

Picture of hat (finished this evening) attached....

Magic

Oh, I love the hat, did you use a pattern? If so can i have it too?

@Cofy, the pics showing the pre-made up pieces were really helpful.

Oh, I love the hat, did you use a pattern? If so can i have it too?

I used a pattern that came with the Tremori knitting wool I got in Lidl a while ago. I used around 55 grams for the hat (knitting needles size 4 - gauge on the pack for size 4.5 knitting needles is 18Sx21R for 10cmx10cm).

These are the instructions for the hat:

Cast on 112 stitches, distribute equally on all needles (I used circular needles and not double pointed ones) and work 6 cms in cuff pattern. Then continue working in plait pattern 3. When work measures 16cm in every other row knit together 2 x 2 stitches as purl stitches in every purl rib. Then, with every big plait, knit together 4 x 1 stitches with knit stitches = alternate 1 purl stitch and 2 knit stitches. In the second row knit together the 2 knit stitches as knit stitches. In every other row knit together 2 x 2 stitches as knit stitches. Thread remaining stitches.

Pattern for cuff: Alternate 2 knit stitches, 2 purl stitches.

Plait pattern 3. See diagram below. Only front rows are shown. On the back rows knit the stitches as they appear. 1 square = 1 stitch and 2 rows.

I I I I I I 7
    J J J TTT 5
    I I I I I I - - - JT - - - 3
    I I I I I I - - - I I - - - 1

I = 1 knit stitch
    - = 1 purl stitch
    JT = transfer one stitch on a spare needle in front of the work, 1 knit stitch, then knit the stitch on the spare needle as a knit stitch.
    J J J TTT = transfer three stitches on spare needle in front of work, 3 knit stitches, then knit the stitches on the spare needle as knit stitches.

That is all. :)

Magic

Brilliant thank you very much. Cant wait to get a crack on this tomorrow night.

@magicEye Love the hat. The knitting is so neat and the wool you used is gorgeous. A lot of people are knitting hats like this throughout the year and selling them at christmas fairs and markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭liv491

I went to town today to get Tivoli Whirl especially for my mam, the lady in the shop forgot to put the pattern in the bag :( She wanted to knit a scarf tonight ........
    HAS ANYBODY GOT A COPY OF THE PATTERN, I have failed to find it online

Thanks in advance

If its this one:

http://www.thewoolshop.ie/magento/index.php/chunky-knitting-yarn-tivoli-whirl-961-with-free-pattern-of-scarf-and-bag.html

You just knit as normal but you only use 1/4 of the wool as in the pic.

Snow flake hat, knitted this evening, as my son can never have enough hats...:D

Magic

Magic

Oh how gorgeous!

Magic

I love looking at pictures of what everyone has done, your hats are really fab. :D

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I've found a nice hat pattern, but it's for knitting in the round. It looks fairly simple as it's just a rib pattern then alternating blocks of knit and purl rows. I'm just looking for some advice on doing the same pattern on straight needles. I read on another site that you knit the purl rows and vice-versa for every even numbered round. I'm thinking with this pattern it may not be necessary to do that cos it's just alternating k and p anyway.
    When it comes to the decrease though should I purl every second row where in the pattern it says to knit?
    Any help much appreciated :) Thanks
    Here's the pattern for ref!

http://flowerpotdesigns.ca/2010/07/14/as-sweet-as-honey/

Oh that's lovely, it would be much easier on circulars. In my opinion, I'd knit until the shaping and then just make sure you decrease in the rows mentioned and end up with the correct amount of stitches at the end. You may end up ripping back one or two rows but I cant see any issues.

Oh that's lovely, it would be much easier on circulars. In my opinion, I'd knit until the shaping and then just make sure you decrease in the rows mentioned and end up with the correct amount of stitches at the end. You may end up ripping back one or two rows but I cant see any issues.
    Thanks a mill! Sure I'll give it a bash and see what happens. I just cant get the hang of circulars. I think the ones I have are too long for a hat.

Yes, mine are the same, there's a youtube video on how to use them for smaller projects, its linked in this thread, I'll see if I can find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Can someone explain these instructions. I can't figure it out :confused:
    K 25 sts. Turn. Cast off 2 sts at beginning of this row, work to end. Work one row

Do I knit 25 sts and then turn the whole item around.
    How can I continue to knit as the wool is on the left needle now?
    How do I cast off 2 sts mid row (25 sts already knitted) when it says at the beginning?
    Basically I'm lost!

(25sts)
    TURN
    (25sts)

MargeS wrote: »
    Can someone explain these instructions. I can't figure it out :confused:

Do I knit 25 sts and then turn the whole item around.
    How can I continue to knit as the wool is on the left needle now?
    How do I cast off 2 sts mid row (25 sts already knitted) when it says at the beginning?
    Basically I'm lost!

(25sts)
    TURN
    (25sts)

I had to do something similar when I was knitting bobbles on a cardigan. It sounds to me as though when you knit the 25 sts and turn the work, the sts you've just knit will now be on the left so that when you cast off 2 you're actually casting off 2 that you've just knit. I would assume (although I'm not 100%) that when it says work to end you re knit those same 25 sts and then do a new row as normal.
    What are you knitting? It sounds interesting!

kandr10 wrote: »
    It sounds to me as though when you knit the 25 sts and turn the work, the sts you've just knit will now be on the left so that when you cast off 2 you're actually casting off 2 that you've just knit. I would assume (although I'm not 100%) that when it says work to end you re knit those same 25 sts and then do a new row as normal.
    Hi kandr10. This is exactly what I thought too! But when I turn the garment, the thread is on the left needle. And it says to continue knitting rows, which leaves a hole in this row. :confused:
    I chose this pattern because it was so simple until I got to this instruction.
    It is for Neck Shaping.
    This is the pattern I'm trying:
    http://www.lindascraftique.com/free/vdpullover.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

I am doing these mittens http://www.jamiepossum.com/KumeuGloveletsPatternIncluding...
    And am confused by “work as setting rows 1 and 2”. do I repeat the cable reversing knits and purls or do I repeat rows 1and2. Do I start from 2? Pls help as I’m stuck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

PinkChick wrote: »
    I am doing these mittens http://www.jamiepossum.com/KumeuGloveletsPatternIncluding...
    And am confused by “work as setting rows 1 and 2”. do I repeat the cable reversing knits and purls or do I repeat rows 1and2. Do I start from 2? Pls help as I’m stuck!!

The link isn't working for me so can't see the original pattern but a setting row is usually where you set up the pattern- say if you were starting cables you would probably have a certain number of stocking stitches surrounded by either garter stitch or reverse stocking stitch, which you would work for a number of rows before doing the cable-y cross over bit. In this case I'd say you wouldn't repeat the cable, just go along with the pattern from where the cables are set up, probably rows 1 and 2 (as long as these aren't a separate border pattern eg ribbing). Sorry if this isn't the clearest but its hard to talk in general terms without the pattern. Happy knitting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

PinkChick wrote: »
    These gloves? http://www.jamiepossum.com/knitter%27s%20glovelets.html

st st until 38cm.
    [Dec right - sl1, k1, psso, put st back onto left hand needle, bring second st on left hand needle over first st, put st back onto right needle.]

Row 1 (RS) K1, p1 ,k1, p1, knit to last 4 sts, p1, k1, p1, k1.
    Row 2 (WS) P1, k1, p1, k1, purl to last 4 sts, k1, p1, k1, p1.
    Dec row (RS) K1, p1, k1, p1, dec right, knit to last 7 sts, slip 1, k2tog, psso, p1, k1, p1, k1.
    Repeat row 2 then row 1, twice, then row 2, once more.

Next row (RS) Work dec row.

Cont to work as set, decreasing every 4th row, 7(8,9,10) times* [40(42,44,48)sts, 42(46,50,54) shaping rows]. Work 3 rows.

This is my understanding of the text in red for shaping armholes....
    I am currently doing this:
    Knitting in st st and every 4th row I am doing a dec row (which includes the dec right) only.
    I need to do this 7 times.
    To me this adds up to 7 x 4 = 28 rows, far short of the 42 shaping rows.

What exactly does 'cont to work as set' mean? Am I skipping rows?
    This is the pattern:
    http://www.josharp.com/sites/josharpcomau/assets/public/File/Free%20Patterns/COCO%20PD.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some Super Bulky Yarn? Can't seem to find any. Lots of chunky, but no super bulky.
    Was recently in the States and got some there. Made some scarfs, which I love, and have got lots of compliments. The band that I used is Lion Brand Hometown USA. I can find it on line, but between shipping and duty it's working out very expensive.
    Anyone got any suggestions?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Neadine wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I might be able to get some Super Bulky Yarn? Can't seem to find any. Lots of chunky, but no super bulky.
    Was recently in the States and got some there. Made some scarfs, which I love, and have got lots of compliments. The band that I used is Lion Brand Hometown USA. I can find it on line, but between shipping and duty it's working out very expensive.
    Anyone got any suggestions?

Is Springwools any good to you? They're based on the Ballymount Road in Dublin (just 2 minutes up from the Walkinstown Roundabout) or else deliver anywhere in the country for about €3 flat fee.

They've got a pretty good selection - hope you find what you need! :D

I use Bigga wool:

http://www.angelyarns.com/sirdar/knit.php/yarn/301

or Big Softie:

http://www.sirdar.co.uk/yarns/fashion/Big_Softie_F040

My local wool shop has both, but they dont sell online. I'm not mad about Bug Softie as it is not spun very tightly and can come apart if pulled, but it is very good value and long lasting when in a garment.

MargeS wrote: »
    st st until 38cm.
    [Dec right - sl1, k1, psso, put st back onto left hand needle, bring second st on left hand needle over first st, put st back onto right needle.]

Row 1 (RS) K1, p1 ,k1, p1, knit to last 4 sts, p1, k1, p1, k1.
    Row 2 (WS) P1, k1, p1, k1, purl to last 4 sts, k1, p1, k1, p1.
    Dec row (RS) K1, p1, k1, p1, dec right, knit to last 7 sts, slip 1, k2tog, psso, p1, k1, p1, k1.
    Repeat row 2 then row 1, twice, then row 2, once more.

Next row (RS) Work dec row.

Cont to work as set, decreasing every 4th row, 7(8,9,10) times* [40(42,44,48)sts, 42(46,50,54) shaping rows]. Work 3 rows.

This is my understanding of the text in red for shaping armholes....
    I am currently doing this:
    Knitting in st st and every 4th row I am doing a dec row (which includes the dec right) only.
    I need to do this 7 times.
    To me this adds up to 7 x 4 = 28 rows, far short of the 42 shaping rows.

What exactly does 'cont to work as set' mean? Am I skipping rows?
    This is the pattern:
    http://www.josharp.com/sites/josharpcomau/assets/public/File/Free%20Patterns/COCO%20PD.pdf

Hi MargeS!

This is tricky enough to make sense of, esp without looking at the knitted piece.
    I would interpret it as knit in st st until you get to 38cm. Then you follow the pattern for armhole decrease. When it says work as set, I think it's referring to the pattern formed by the block starting row1 (ie after you've cast off your 12 sts), as opposed to continuing with st st.

The whole block is forming the shaping, not just every 4th dec row. So if you need to achieve 42 shaping rows 7 times, each block should have 6 rows.

Does that make any sense with what you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mijas

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea where I could learn the basics of knitting - any classes or groups? Would it take long to pick it up? I'm in the Limerick area. Of course I would start on something easy, but I've seen lovely photos on this thread that I'd love to try some day. I attempted a scarf in first class, which went on for ages because I didnt know how to cast off! But now I'm inspired to start learning to knit after seeing my friend do some lovely jumpers. She doesnt live nearby & hasnt got much free time so I cant ask her to show me or help. I have never followed a pattern & I'm not great at sewing either. But I've heard its really relaxing & its addictive so I'd love to give it a try.

Thanks.

mijas wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have any idea where I could learn the basics of knitting - any classes or groups? Would it take long to pick it up? I'm in the Limerick area. Of course I would start on something easy, but I've seen lovely photos on this thread that I'd love to try some day. I attempted a scarf in first class, which went on for ages because I didnt know how to cast off! But now I'm inspired to start learning to knit after seeing my friend do some lovely jumpers. She doesnt live nearby & hasnt got much free time so I cant ask her to show me or help. I have never followed a pattern & I'm not great at sewing either. But I've heard its really relaxing & its addictive so I'd love to give it a try.

Thanks.
    If youre good with internet id suggest using youtube to learn basic stitches - knit and purl basically. A good site with simple patterns is tlc.howstuffworks.com. If you start with something simple like a scarf you'll get the hang of the basics. After that its just a matter of learning how to decrease to make different shapes.
    If you find a pattern you like, youtube the stitches given and have a bash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mijas

Thank u will have a look on that site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chicwithstix

Hiya,

If you are in Dublin, there is a new LYS (local yarn shop), The Constant Knitter (www.theconstantknitter.ie) on 88 Francis Street. A lovely and luxurious yarn shop, This is Knit (www.thisisknit.ie) in Powerscourt on South William Street.

If you are outside of Dublin. Join the knitting online community of ravelry.com There is an online group called Irish Knitters that has a map of all yarn shops in the North & the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Hi Mijas, there are beginner knitting classes in the Limerick Senior college in Mulgrave street which could be helpful. I live in Limerick also, and apparently there is a knitting club who meet in the Old Quarter , though I have never been and am not sure about the times etc., Also the girls in Lena's wool shop are very helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement