Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

wrangler wrote: »
    Is there that much difference in buying ready mix and mixing your own.
    I remember working it out when the grants spec was 350kg cement per cumtr for silage pits and realising there was very little saved.
    As usual for grant it was overkill, specification was 40n and 350kg cement.
    When the tests came back they were 55n..... fecking stuff was hardening in the chute

Wasn’t serious but if you had to pay €250 cube,surely be savings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

K9 wrote: »
    Bdgp brought in by coveney has led to 540 million maternal gain in the suckler herd and 10% reduction emissions. This is a scheme that opposition parties and the beef plan want to do away with.
    I’d think you’d agree farmers should operate as efficiently as possible Which in turn reduces emissions and leads to more profit. Most important kpi in suckler herds is live calves born per cow. On average it’s 80 to 85% which is poor. Mind you beef at 3.75 your screwed anyway.
    Agree it was a poor comment by varadkar.
    Anyway I’ll let ye back to talk about milk

They forgot to mention how many less sucklers that are here now too. Countless meetings held with icbf with different breed societys to try sit down and rectify different issues. They are living on a different planet. They say what they have to say and take Notting on board from anyone on the ground. Timing of meeting, recording details and enquiries. They have to much easy money. Something like 600k to Tully alone.

I fully agree that we need to be as efficient as possible but they are so narrow minded that it's actually driving lads away from them and not giving a sh!te about their stars. IV not payed my herd plus this year and don't intend on paying it again. How many dairy lads follow their Ebi anymore? Imo they are getting payed to much for the value they are giving us, be that beef or dairy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

K9 wrote: »
    Wasn’t serious but if you had to pay €250 cube,surely be savings

Is that the price of 40n now, I've lost touch.......there's some great home mixers out there now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L367GfjVxS4

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

wrangler wrote: »
    Is that the price of 40n now, I've lost touch.......there's some great home mixers out there now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L367GfjVxS4

It is in France apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Contractors here all day at slurry. Back again in the morning. Using the umbilical system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

IV not payed my herd plus this year and don't intend on paying it again.

They should have been made provide Herd plus to every farmer after the tag levy was reintroduced. You give them all your herds data and then charge you for access to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The dry second cut is a right pain, heating very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Mooooo wrote: »
    The dry second cut is a right pain, heating very fast.

Don't take the full depth of the grab. Move across the face faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You got to love donedeal sometimes full 8 unit parlour complete with orby feeders/troughs/augars and all milking equipment for a 1000 euro, will be able to go from 14 units to 20 units for less then 4 grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

That's some deal. Fcuking hell.

BTW 14 + 8 = 22

;)

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Its down to the 60% young farmer grand. I threw in an application to extend my 4yr old 14 unit to 24 unit, the price to extend it was in around 42 grand for everything except the building work. but I'd get back over half that with the grant! I've until Dec to complete this job and submit my application, at the minute I'm very unlikely to both tho.

cjpm wrote: »
    That's some deal. Fcuking hell.

BTW 14 + 8 = 22

;)

;)

Can’t beat having spares, Barely used double diaphragm Flynn pump came with it, that to buy new would be circa 4K, the ole chap was delighted when he got it home was on a mission the past year to find a parlour that would match up with the one we have, would of been looking at 20k to buy the stuff new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

And.....after all that,there's a handle on where we are weather wise for this week
    Rain and sleet Monday evening will lead to a cold day Tuesday and wenesday and probably thursday with sleet and snow showers west and north Tuesday then milder for the weekend, but are we out of the woods yet on colder cold,no because it's lurking nearby and may invade the following week,the whole situation is confusing billions worth of super computers, never mind anyone else

First heifer calved this morning with a bull, was bound to be the case as away for the weekend. 10 days early

Looking up on glanbia connect for the trading bonus scheme and they’ve used a different figure to calculate my bonus then my total net spend for 18 that puts me into the lower bracket by .01 of a cent, why they can’t just do anything without smokes and daggers is beyond me as it clearly stated all purchases vat inclusive would be used to calculate total spend for the year but it doesn’t seem to be the case, going to be great craic sorting it out in the morning with the account manager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Looking up on glanbia connect for the trading bonus scheme and they’ve used a different figure to calculate my bonus then my total net spend for 18 that puts me into the lower bracket by .01 of a cent, why they can’t just do anything without smokes and daggers is beyond me as it clearly stated all purchases vat inclusive would be used to calculate total spend for the year but it doesn’t seem to be the case, going to be great craic sorting it out in the morning with the account manager

They couldn’t do anything straight, contra’d money from my December milk of their own accord, got back the money in the end after some very aggravated phone calls

Dairymaster were supposed to be putting in my scraper last Friday morning at 8.30. No sign of them and they didn't ring until after 12. Left cattle back around the cubicles and they said they'd be on this morning at 8.30, no doubt about it.

Unless they are invisible and using invisible scrapers now....:mad:

Dairymaster were supposed to be putting in my scraper last Friday morning at 8.30. No sign of them and they didn't ring until after 12. Left cattle back around the cubicles and they said they'd be on this morning at 8.30, no doubt about it.

Unless they are invisible and using invisible scrapers now....:mad:

I hate that carry on

Took bit of effort but cows nailing the clean out now.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    I hate that carry on
    Ah feck it, a phone call would be a massive help just to say we won't be on today or we'll be late. Moving cattle around different places to feed and hold them and I'll just have to move them back again now.

Annoying:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Took bit of effort but cows nailing the clean out now.

Nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Ah feck it, a phone call would be a massive help just to say we won't be on today or we'll be late. Moving cattle around different places to feed and hold them and I'll just have to move them back again now.

Annoying:mad:

They're not called dairydisaster for not nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

straight wrote: »
    They're not called dairydisaster for not nothing.

Service the scrapers here and found them efficient.

There's a problem at the moment with the agrinet package, Microsoft ran an update last week and it didn't agree with our package. Mines being fixed at the minute. Might be worth checking if ye have been affected. Typical when I want to register calves

There's a problem at the moment with the agrinet package, Microsoft ran an update last week and it didn't agree with our package. Mines being fixed at the minute. Might be worth checking if ye have been affected. Typical when I want to register calves

If you do it on ag food would it make any odds to the agrinet package?

If you do it on ag food would it make any odds to the agrinet package?

I did a couple on Saturday night on agfood. Not sure how the agrinet package will take it when it's back running properly. They are fixing it remotely atm. So hopefully I can register the rest later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭cosatron

anyone milking double up with acr's and how do you find it. We are milking 52 with 4 units at the mo. and ive room to extend to about 5 or 6 units without building a new shed but im thinking of doubling up with acr. What width pit would be comfortable. Our pit at the moment is only 4ft wide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Kingswood can sync with aim,populating whatever's on Aim inc births sales and deaths information
    It takes a few seconds
    Presumably agrinet can also

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Kingswood can sync with aim,populating whatever's on Aim inc births sales and deaths information
    It takes a few seconds
    Presumably agrinet can also

I think you lose the ICBF data on calf size and calving difficulty and cow groups stuff which has to be entered manually afterwards. It's nearly easier to wait if you're using that information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Fixed this afternoon here.
    Phones are hopping the lady said.
    Took about 15 mins all in.

My Internet connection is desperate, so took nearly an hour. Think it's working now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

That's about the go of it. Not really agrinets fault. Windows update the weekend before last messed with their system. If you have that package get on to them asap. As above very simple fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

cosatron wrote: »
    anyone milking double up with acr's and how do you find it. We are milking 52 with 4 units at the mo. and ive room to extend to about 5 or 6 units without building a new shed but im thinking of doubling up with acr. What width pit would be comfortable. Our pit at the moment is only 4ft wide

I milked in a 14 unit (28 clusters) double up last year with ACRs and found it good. Get very synchronised after a while and work at nice pace. Pit was maybe 6 foot wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Few videos with double ups on YouTube u should watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Do any of ye know if the vat e-repayments system is up and running yet?

4ft very narrow, would be messy to try fit a double up in that space, because double the pipework, clusters etc. I assume no jars (which would be a total non runner doubled up). Were you thinking of a 4 unit double up instead of the 6unit, or a 6unit double up? Your talking about 12acrs in the 6 double, that's going to set you back 8k+. What are your max cow numbers moving forward? If you could make a 10 unit non double up work instead, the 8k should go a decent bit towards the longer shed, and would let you milk the cows alot faster than any sort of 4 or 6unit double up. I know a 10 unit probably sounds like a huge step up compared to a 4unit, but it's about the minimum size parlour I'd bother with, you would be in and out in 40mins for a decent part of the yr with your 50cows.

Timmaay wrote: »
    4ft very narrow, would be messy to try fit a double up in that space, because double the pipework, clusters etc. I assume no jars (which would be a total non runner doubled up). Were you thinking of a 4 unit double up instead of the 6unit, or a 6unit double up? Your talking about 12acrs in the 6 double, that's going to set you back 8k+. What are your max cow numbers moving forward? If you could make a 10 unit non double up work instead, the 8k should go a decent bit towards the longer shed, and would let you milk the cows alot faster than any sort of 4 or 6unit double up. I know a 10 unit probably sounds like a huge step up compared to a 4unit, but it's about the minimum size parlour I'd bother with, you would be in and out in 40mins for a decent part of the yr with your 50cows.

I reckoned the pit is too narrow but I can widen it. I can maybe get 7 to 8 units long if I did a bit of reorganizing. So I suppose what I'm asking my farming brethren is what would be my best options. I wont be milking anymore then 54 as we are land locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JD115m

I reckoned the pit is too narrow but I can widen it. I can maybe get 7 to 8 units long if I did a bit of reorganizing. So I suppose what I'm asking my farming brethren is what would be my best options. I wont be milking anymore then 54 as we are land locked.

Milking 75 with a 6 unit double up with acrs. Takes about an hour and 10 including wash here
    Pit is 4 ft and is slightly narrow but was stuck for space so needs must badly need to deepen it though. Acrs are definitely worth the money would find it hard to believe that without them here now. Always busy and the milking moves at a fast pace there's kind of a rhythm to it
    I let in one side prep and clusters on then let in the other side and just as I'm finished putting on the last clusters the others are coming off and ready to be dipped. One of the best investments on the farm next big improvement here will be auto wash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

A guy I know was milking about 80 in a six unit. So he doubled it up. After about 10 years he moved the extra six units onto the end of the parlour creating a straight 12.

He's kicking himself he didn't go 12 first day instead of pricking around with the double up system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

cjpm wrote: »
    A guy I know was milking about 80 in a six unit. So he doubled it up. After about 10 years he moved the extra six units onto the end of the parlour creating a straight 12.

He's kicking himself he didn't go 12 first day instead of pricking around with the double up system.

Remember reading it was said a 6 unit double up is the same as 9 unit straight

If you can put in 8 I'd go for that. No need for acrs and you'd be out fast enough with 7 rows. I'd suggest going to 10 but that would depend on what you want to do building wise. Is the dairy beside the parlour? If so you could go forward in making parlour bigger? Have a look at a few other places

If you can put in 8 I'd go for that. No need for acrs and you'd be out fast enough with 7 rows. I'd suggest going to 10 but that would depend on what you want to do building wise. Is the dairy beside the parlour? If so you could go forward in making parlour bigger? Have a look at a few other places

at present the milk tank is in front of the parlour so I would have to extend the shed to facilitate a new tank which we need to buy anyways, if I do this I can us the space vacated by the tank and get possible 7 to 8 units as I can make the parlour wider and sacrifice a calving box. I will definitely look at a few others and milk in different type parlours as I will be only be doing it once.

The farm solutions add on the journal, wouldn’t entice a lad into the dairy industry 22k a year salary and 39 hours a week minimum, accommodation is provided but I’d reckon the proverbial would be took with the hours expected to be worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

The farm solutions add on the journal, wouldn’t entice a lad into the dairy industry 22k a year salary and 39 hours a year minimum, accommodation is provided but I’d reckon the proverbial would be took with the hours expected to be worked
    Salary = I hope you like overtime and are too dense to use a calculator(so not the ideal candidate but i'm too tight) vs p/hr unless comes with lots of bells and whistles in farm work.

• Advertisement

Salary = I hope you like overtime and are too dense to use a calculator(so not the ideal candidate but i'm too tight) vs p/hr unless comes with lots of bells and whistles in farm work.

Senior manager on one farm I worked on in Australia lost the plot with farm owner when he got wind I was on a very good hourly rate and was clearing 500 dollars a week more then himself, could only laugh at the good of it, learnt in my first two weeks out their that a salaried job on a dairy farm that are understaffed are pisstakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Senior manager on one farm I worked on in Australia lost the plot with farm owner when he got wind I was on a very good hourly rate and was clearing 500 dollars a week more then himself, could only laugh at the good of it, learnt in my first two weeks out their that a salaried job on a dairy farm that are understaffed are pisstakes

It ain't just Dairy farms!

I was surprised with my pm, 14k spend on partime labour last yr ha. All worth it, and good comfort to know it's an expense I can cut back if the milk price tanked, however jezz to think I could have a fulltime man for 8k more haha hmm.

So I finally got my scraper in last Tuesday. And that's when the trouble started.

They couldn't get the 3 scrapers working until someone came Wednesday. So Wednesday evening, a lad came and got them working but the new one wasn't working properly so someone was to come on Thursday.

Well, today's Friday and someone 'should' be on Monday:rolleyes:

So I finally got my scraper in last Tuesday. And that's when the trouble started.

They couldn't get the 3 scrapers working until someone came Wednesday. So Wednesday evening, a lad came and got them working but the new one wasn't working properly so someone was to come on Thursday.

Well, today's Friday and someone 'should' be on Monday:rolleyes:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate your scraper installation experience?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement