Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan & Ollie

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Felt it was pretty lightweight myself... sometimes pleasantly so, other times forgettably so.

The two lads do a grand old job, don’t get me wrong, and it all ticks along. But I think the trailer basically gives you the film - and that’s not necessarily down to the trailer being ‘spoilery’ or anything. There’s more nuance and weight in the full thing for sure, but you could basically write the general outline of the thing yourself. That direction-wise it’s not far beyond a high-budget tv drama doesn’t help.

But at the same time if you stumbled across it on a Sunday afternoon on BBC2 you’d have a grand old time: just the right amount of cheer mixed with some warm-hearted nostalgia. Laurel & Hardy were something of a gateway drug for me into classic comedy (there was one summer holiday when I was in my early teens when BBC showed one short every morning) so it’s nice to see a tribute to them. But as a film in its own right there’s just not a whole lot to it beyond strong performances. I’m usually the biggest proponent you’ll find of seeing any given film on the big screen, but this is the rare beast where I got the sense its natural home is on the small one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

mikhail wrote: »
    It's like, "Beam me up, Scotty." It entered the wider culture slightly incorrectly and stuck.

And "Play it again, Sam"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Saw this the other day. It was.....grand. TBH I was expecting a bit more. Don't get me wrong, it was a perfectly pleasant film and easily watchable, but there wasn't really a whole lot going on.
    That's exactly why I enjoyed it so much. There was no fake drama, it was a story about two great comedians, past their prime but still very funny, doing their last tour together. There was no great drama at the time, and it's nice that the film didn't try to add too much fakeness. In a world where everything has to be dramatic, including day to day stuff lest someone feel normal, it was nice to see a change of pace when not a whole lot happens, but it is still funny and touching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What generation are you? It was pointed out on radio by a commentator the other week that the film will probably be appreciated more by those who were raised on this type of comedy as kids.

I know in the 70s and early 80s they were always on TV so if you weren’t around then or didn’t really watch their movies, I can appreciate where you’re coming from. I loved the film but I also loved L&H as a kid.
    Watched them a bit alright on TV back in the 80s when RTE used to show them. Basically Johnny Ultimate above has given my thoughts on the film, but with far more eloquence!
    Johnmb wrote: »
    it's nice that the film didn't try to add too much fakeness. .
    Ironically enough (spoiler)
    it seems the overall arc of the story was 'fake' - they apparently started their UK tour/s playing to packed large venues and ended up in the small ones - the reverse of the film.

Ironically enough (spoiler)
    it seems the overall arc of the story was 'fake' - they apparently started their UK tour/s playing to packed large venues and ended up in the small ones - the reverse of the film.
    Yeah, I heard that on radio the other day- I was disappointed to hear that in that the movie didn't depict things that way - and yeah, now that I hear that, I'm a bit more disappointed now - still great acting but would have thought they would have been done justice to the true end story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Four of us went to this on Saturday night, all loved it, a lovely, warm tribute to the lads and Vaudeville. More ambitious than I thought from trailer. 4/5 stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

Watched this last night. An absolutely beautiful tribute.

Advertisement