Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

whyulittle wrote: »
    A bit misty and murky, but always nice to start the new year over at Lough Boora. Happy New Year all!

IMG_20190101_134526.jpg
    What crop is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That be Long Grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Just long grass as recedite says. This area is between the working fields that have the strips of kale and the fully managed Partridge habitat area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how do slugs get into houses?? my back-hall doors are insulated with draft proofing and yet i still find them crawling up the walls?? do they get through the keyhole? why do they come indoors anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I have a triple glazed modern sun room and I frequently get slugs inside. You can follow their slime trails back under the heavy door and into the drip strip across the entrance. There are small drain holes to the outside where they come in.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Strawberry1975

recedite wrote: »
    That be Long Grass.
    Ya can't smoke that type of Grass Seanie
    A Great Action plan

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

fryup wrote: »
    how do slugs get into houses?? my back-hall doors are insulated with draft proofing and yet i still find them crawling up the walls?? do they get through the keyhole? why do they come indoors anyway?

In search of food. I once left some new potatoes I had picked on a very tall hall stand and forgot them.

The following day they were chewed and the slugs had left trails under the door, across the hall and up the legs of the stand.

They can flatten and slime their way through the thinnest gap. no bones! Jelly! Yukk!

Slugs also get in through open windows.

recedite wrote: »
    Slugs also get in through open windows.

One place I rented there was a plague indoors of slugs and snails, with shells. Never did find out how the latter got in.

Nothing like putting your hand on a slug first thing in the morning.. :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Graces7 wrote: »
    One place I rented there was a plague indoors of slugs and snails, with shells. Never did find out how the latter got in.

Nothing like putting your hand on a slug first thing in the morning.. :eek:

Try your bare foot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

New Home wrote: »
    Try your bare foot...

Yup, know that feeling....... Yeeeesh

Try your bare foot...

er,,,, no thank you! I have enough trouble with my old cat who occasionally throws up without my seeing him... and I NEVER go barefoot in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I remember asking a few years ago do any of our normal birds show up in far flung places as mega finds.

Here is a Robin drawing the crowds at Beijing Zoo this morning!

https://twitter.com/BirdingBeijing/status/1083573923352965120

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Watching honey bees on snowdrops today. In mid January. The climate has gone crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Went out walking in the snow yesterday. Left the camera after me I find trying to get photos of wildlife all the time can take away from just enjoying the walk.

Anyway came across a beautiful fox panned out on the ledge of a south facing rock. Enjoying the winter sunshine.

Stunning animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The hormones are certainly rampant in one of our garden Bluetits. He's not only attacking his reflection in the windows but has taken to attacking the blue flower buds of the Grape Hyacinths in flower pots. He'll wear himself out, if he doesn't cop on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Pepé Le Pew of the bird world. :D

Pepé Le Pew of the bird world. :D

He's more like Hong Kong Phooey, the way he's tearing lumps off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but I'm looking for a bit of advice on tree felling. A neighbour has just started to take out a mature roadside ditch - mostly a mixture of ash, hawthorn, holly, and elder and the odd sycamore. Is it illegal to cut any trees after 1st March provided they don't fall under exemptions like those listed under the Wildlife Act (linked below)? And, if it is illegal, who'd be the best person to report it to? This ditch has always been a popular nesting spot and we'd also see a lot of small mammals in the area. The farmer who owns it has zero concern for the environment (we've reported him several times to the EPO for rubbish in fields and illegal spraying) so I'd have no hesitation in reporting tree cutting - I just want to be sure that it is actually illegal first. Thanks!

https://www.npws.ie/sites/default/files/general/section-40-wildlife-acts-consolidated.pdf

It seems a fairly straightforward breach of the law to me.
    I wouldn't have any sympathy for the guy, because we have just had a whole month of perfect weather for that kind of work.
    Also these restrictions are really for trimming hedges, if you are "grubbing out" a roadside hedgerow completely I think you might also need permission from the county council?

NPWS have contact info here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do you know that freshly cut grass smell, is actually the smell of distress..
    But it turns out, the cause of the smell isn't nearly as pleasant. The scent is actually a sign of the plant in distress, and it's the side effect of some serious chemical reactions. When leafy plants are harmed in any way, they release organic compounds called green leaf volatiles

link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Had a brief visit from a Greenfinch yesterday, looked like a female. The Goldfinch had no intentions of sharing the nyjer feeder with her so she didn't stick around, I haven't seen a Greenfinch in the garden in over a year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bsal wrote: »
    Had a brief visit from a Greenfinch yesterday, looked like a female. The Goldfinch had no intentions of sharing the nyjer feeder with her so she didn't stick around, I haven't seen a Greenfinch in the garden in over a year I think.

Seeing alot of calling Greenfinches these last few days - must have bred well last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm 99% certain I saw a stoat today. I was out for a run on the Newry Greenway and saw something cross the path into the undergrowth. I stopped to see what it was and saw it moving about and then it came out and stood up on its back feet and watched me for about 30 seconds. I've been looking online and it seems that they are around 30-40cm long but this one was tiny, maybe 10-15cm at best. Could it have been a juvenile?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Maybe it could have been a pine marten?

In that location it was most likely a stoat. Not too many pine martens, if any around there.
    KJ wrote: »
    I'm 99% certain I saw a stoat today. I was out for a run on the Newry Greenway and saw something cross the path into the undergrowth. I stopped to see what it was and saw it moving about and then it came out and stood up on its back feet and watched me for about 30 seconds. I've been looking online and it seems that they are around 30-40cm long but this one was tiny, maybe 10-15cm at best. Could it have been a juvenile?

In that location it was most likely a stoat. Not too many pine martens, if any around there.

There are pine martens in Slieve Gullion forest which isn't miles away but I assumed pine martens were bigger too. I just wish I had had my phone with me at the time.

It's a bit of a leap from Gullion to the greenway though, and much different terrain.

It's a bit of a leap from Gullion to the greenway though, and much different terrain.

True, looking at photos online it definitely looked more like a stoat than a pine marten anyway. I had never seen either before. Typical that whenever I go out with a camera, I see nothing new but they appear when I've none.

• Advertisement

Join the club. We've all been there.
    KJ wrote: »
    True, looking at photos online it definitely looked more like a stoat than a pine marten anyway. I had never seen either before. Typical that whenever I go out with a camera, I see nothing new but they appear when I've none.

Advertisement