Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Thought I spotted one of the local Ravens near their nest for the first time this year, but it turned out to be a Peregrine! :D

I did see one of the Ravens bringing some branches up to the nest later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Saw a group of a dozen Sika deer for first time ever in Tipperary.
    I saw them in valley where I always see fallow deer 100%
    but this time saw ZERO fallows odd coincidence.

Do Sika and fallows co-exist well?

Where is best record for Sika deer sightings in Ireland on-line?

Would Sika eat rhododendron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Spring has sprung. Sparrows have started on the nests in the roof. Starlings are investigating sites. Bluebells over ground and the buds are sticky on the chestnut trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Blackbird singing full blast on the roof here this evening, the joys of spring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

An interesting insight from some in the farming community regarding the provision of nestboxes under the Glas Scheme ( Farming & Forestry forum). Notwithstanding the issue about the construction of the nestboxes, the thread is indicative of a fairly dismissive attitude towards the purpose of having the nestboxes in the first place? Just gimme the money ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

An interesting insight from some in the farming community regarding the provision of nestboxes under the Glas Scheme ( Farming & Forestry forum). Notwithstanding the issue about the construction of the nestboxes, the thread is indicative of a fairly dismissive attitude towards the purpose of having the nestboxes in the first place? Just gimme the money ???
    Put up the cheapest one in a location that isn't suitable. Probably fall down within a month, put up again whenever you get inspection. For the majority (not all) farmers it's all about the money. Rare wildlife like harriers, corncrake are a hindrance to profit and they would rather them exterminated. That's the grim truth of the matter.

Stonechat in the garden today. Only the second time I've had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Day off work so went for a long walk along the coast road between Baldoyle and Portmarnock and back via all the 'wasteland' between Mayne Bridge and Baldoyle. Loads of frogs spawn in every little pond and puddle. Wonder if there are newts too?

Day off work so went for a long walk along the coast road between Baldoyle and Portmarnock and back via all the 'wasteland' between Mayne Bridge and Baldoyle. Loads of frogs spawn in every little pond and puddle. Wonder if there are newts too?

Not likely newts lay their eggs in small numbers under aquatic plants. My newts have demolished all my frog tadpoles over the last 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Rosahane wrote: »
    Wife opens back door to let dog out this morning and frightens off what was probably a sparrowhawk from a dead starling on the ground.

A year or so ago she excitedly called me from the dining room to say a "hawk" was chasing a small bird through the ornamental tree outside the sliding doors.

Needless to say I missed it both times and have only spotted a sparrowhawk flying over once.

I fill all the feeders and have the binos to hand usually while the Mrs identifies birds as "little", "crow", etc. Also 99% of the time I look after the dog!

Life ain't fair :(

I left the dead starling on the ground, camera setup on tripod, focused on the starling through the specially cleaned glass of the back door, remote control attached, all to no avail - he never returned.

Occasionally since I look out to see the feeders bereft of customers ( I usually have at least a dozen mixed pieces at any one time) but didn't manage to spot him.

Finally got to see him to see him up close today - beautiful male sparrowhawk!

He's been around twice this afternoon.

Will have to try again for a photo. The conservatory is only about 15 feet away from the feeders which are all hanging from a big flowering plum tree and would make for a great photo. At least the wife will be pleased, she's been on about washing all the conservatory windows for a while now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

There are sparrowhawks around Stillorgan, Co Dublin.
    A few years ago I was watching my garden feeders (metal with hanging feeders) when a female landed with a thump on them. Last month I found a dead pigeon in my garden half eaten. The next time I looked it was gone. I leave sunflower hearts in the feeders for the goldfinches, chaffinches, greenfinches, and throw some on the ground for the pigeons.
    I am very happy I managed to keep the feeders topped up every day this winter. I use Vanodine V18 from Haiths to disinfect the feeders when I bring them in for a de-clogging and washing. The birdtable feeder gets a wash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Had my governor round today. A few times I looked out at the nuts and saw absolutely nothing. Then, the great, blue and coal tits. The dunnocks and the robins would reappear. I commented that there must be a sparrowhawk about.

Toward the end of the day, I went to fetch the nuts in, to replenish them. And there was a little rosette of brown feathers on the ground.

That's one dunnock not going to be reproducing this year :(

First bumblebees of the years buzzing throughout the garden this morning. I always welcome their return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Seen Starlings mating today, spring is here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I thought some of my local raptors had moved on from their wintering sites in the last couple of weeks, but last week I saw my local Hen Harrier for the first time in weeks, and today I found a dead Redwing that indicates my local Peregrine is still around too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

25667916820_c202cf1123_c.jpgBH 284A - First Resighting (Galway), from Hampshire by Brian, on Flickr

I saw this Black-headed Gull in Galway last week. It was seen at a place frequented by birders, so I assumed the ring would have been reported before but I decided to make some enquiries anyway. To my delight it was actually the first resighting of this bird. It was originally ringed in June of last year in Hampshire in England - quite some distance away. Whenever I see Black-headed Gulls and other somewhat common birds I tend to assume that most of them are from nearby breeding colonies, but obviously that isn't always the case!

I have organised the annual Spring Clean in our area again this year. Applied with An Taisce, and said we'd have about 10 people out. The pack arrived today with enough plastic bags to do us at least 3 years but only 4 pairs of gloves for ten people.

They say resources are tight and they have to just send what they can.

They need to sort themselves out and get the balance right. Far too many large plastic bags and not enough gloves.

Just a rant.

Carry on, I have it off my chest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Six weeks watching a badger set, time to take some shots, camera set to remote fire. Four flashes at the area they have being playing at every night I have been up.
    Sorted! Not a hope out they pop from a different entrance and play happily away behind the effing camera..
    Hate nature photography

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Six weeks watching a badger set, time to take some shots, camera set to remote fire. Four flashes at the area they have being playing at every night I have been up.
    Sorted! Not a hope out they pop from a different entrance and play happily away behind the effing camera..
    Hate nature photography

Know how you feel, huge sett on the 'new patch' has suddenly become active, when I got the place eighteen months ago I thought the sett was abandoned but now freshly dug out, old bedding coming out new bedding going in, so, two trail cams should cover it I thought...not a chance..it's so big it's difficult to anticipate where the activity is likely but a handful of raisins and peanuts will sort that! :)

Typical! Blue Tits are nesting in the only nest box in my garden without a camera in it!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Looked out the kitchen window this afternoon at two rooks on the ground under the bird feeders. One of them was mantling - wings outstretched crouched down and flicking his tail feathers up and down and making a guttural cacking noise. The other rook was studiously ignoring him.

Presumably a mating or bonding display. I've never seen it before. I got the phone out to video but he didn't repeat it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

That's a mating display..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Sunday World have a 32-page Bird of Prey pullout this weekend. Think they said was produced with BWI, so information/pics should be accurate.

Dunnocks emerging from the hedge with faecal sacks. The nest appears to be right under one of my feeding stations. I think I should move the feeders a bit further away given the amount of magpies and jackdaws that use them.

See these signs a lot in coillte forests?
    what are they doing?

25607917204_5bc1b45647_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Keplar240B wrote: »
    See these signs a lot in coillte forests?
    what are they doing?

25607917204_5bc1b45647_z.jpg

Possibly for Health & Safety compliance regarding the use by Coillte of pesticides or chemicals such as cypermethrin, as is used in growing forests -

http://www.coillte.ie/aboutcoillte/about_coillte/coillte_consultation/coillte_past_consultations/consultation_on_coillte_cypermethrin_derogation_may_2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

".......... a pesticide (cypermethrin) which is legal to use in Ireland and registered for use in forestry by the Pesticide Registration and Control Division of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine but is classed as ‘highly hazardous’ by FSC and so can only be used in FSC-certified woodlands if there are no practicable alternatives."

The thing is there are practicable and more environmentally friendly ways of dealing with pest problems: http://www.coford.ie/media/coford/content/publications/projectreports/cofordconnects/ccn-sm15.pdf

If this pesticide is 'highly hazardous' then surely it's not doing the wildlife population of the Coillte plantations any favours if they're eating berries, fruit and fungi?!

Hotei wrote: »
    ".......... a pesticide (cypermethrin) which is legal to use in Ireland and registered for use in forestry by the Pesticide Registration and Control Division of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine but is classed as ‘highly hazardous’ by FSC and so can only be used in FSC-certified woodlands if there are no practicable alternatives."

The thing is there are practicable and more environmentally friendly ways of dealing with pest problems: http://www.coford.ie/media/coford/content/publications/projectreports/cofordconnects/ccn-sm15.pdf

If this pesticide is 'highly hazardous' then surely it's not doing the wildlife population of the Coillte plantations any favours if they're eating berries, fruit and fungi?!
    "No practicable alternatives" is a good loophole for Coillte:(

I have seen these signs at several sites not just pine plantations but smaller forests non-conifier forests mainly used for recreation.

• Advertisement

It's a herbicide they have used not a pesticide.

Advertisement